Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    So, I have high blood pressure, my wife had diabetes. Preexisting conditions. If a semi runs us over while we're riding the motorcycle, can you say that gross trauma is not the cause of death, because we have pre-existing conditions? The premise is flawed.

Only if you're my 10 year old kin and are just being obstinate, which is what that little rant sounded like.

The premise of the originally misquoted Facebook snowflake stat was flawed. Here's from the article link that YOU posted

2.9% had no other conditions diagnosed before the infection. The ISS did not say that only 2.9% of deaths attributed to Covid-19 were due to the virus.

The original report also acknowledged sampling bias:

The report also acknowledges that its sample may not be totally representative as “the sample is opportunistic; it represents deaths in subjects who needed hospitalization only

So I'm the one who needs to get over it?

It's okay that YOU got duped by a Facebook vaxflake meme/gif/story. You even posted the retraction and correction link.

But you're the one who needs to get over it.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

@VegasFrank said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    So, I have high blood pressure, my wife had diabetes. Preexisting conditions. If a semi runs us over while we're riding the motorcycle, can you say that gross trauma is not the cause of death, because we have pre-existing conditions? The premise is flawed.

Only if you're my 10 year old kin and are just being obstinate, which is what that little rant sounded like.

The premise of the originally misquoted Facebook snowflake stat was flawed. Here's from the article link that YOU posted

2.9% had no other conditions diagnosed before the infection. The ISS did not say that only 2.9% of deaths attributed to Covid-19 were due to the virus.

The original report also acknowledged sampling bias:

The report also acknowledges that its sample may not be totally representative as “the sample is opportunistic; it represents deaths in subjects who needed hospitalization only

So I'm the one who needs to get over it?

It's okay that YOU got duped by a Facebook vaxflake meme/gif/story. You even posted the retraction and correction link.

But you're the one who needs to get over it.

I think you're quoting me, and addressing webmost. I have never posted a link to anything. I think you and me are on the same side here, we both believe webmosts premise to be flawed.
    I don't think I was ranting about anything.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

It's a natural mistake, Webmost and I both being dashing sexy motorcyclists, but really we are 2 completely different people.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Now, let's see if Frank can admit he's wrong.

• Options

Makes sense....couldn't figure out why the contradiction of the link that (I thought) you posted. Carry on....

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

... we both believe webmosts premise to be flawed.

Don't put premises in my mouth... it's unsanitary. Perhaps I'm just boppin in long enough to make Frank fly off the handle as he is wont to do.

I have no clue how you compare Wuhan deaths in hospital to Wuhan deaths in bat caves. Do you? You can only take 8k strictly Covid deaths in Italian hospitals as representative of the whole and crank your pocket calc from there. One poster maximizes the proportion, while another trivializes it. But there it is.

Here's the opposite headline... how many of those 1918ers were morbidly obese, back in the day?:

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-09-21/covid-has-killed-more-americans-than-the-spanish-flu-did-in-1918

I got the vax, but I think it's pretty obvious the mask hasn't worked. I admire the 240 health care professionals at the hospital down the road from me who stuck to their guns and got fired rather than vaxxed. These are not bible beating snake worshipping trump loving flat earthers, but nurses, phlebotomists, lab techs, radiologists, etc., ppl who should know the diff. I admire the Swedish calm down versus lock down, so similar to the Amish approach. With the Amish, data is unavailable, tho that doesn't prevent everyone concluding whatever they want. But all that's easier to observe after the fact. Eventually, the answer will come when the pandemic becomes endemic. We all will have to accept that.

What deserves more attention is how do we prevent future surreptitious germ warfare research? We don't need any more viruses to gain any more functions. No, just knock it off.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

Russel Brand is getting to be my favorite guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfxnKgCN3OY

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

I should have said the premise in the article that webmost brought to the conversation, but I assumed that would be understood. I also assumed that the article was brought to our attention as entertainment, since the obvious flaw was so apparent and absurd.

So much for assumptions.

• Options

Coming soon to a screen near you:
    CLASH OF THE CURMUDGEONS!

What remains of their graying hair standing on end, wrinkled skin contorted into grotesque masks of wrath, flabby arms flapping akimbo, these rigid warriors use stale arguments and flawed logic as their weapons in an epic battle to bend the truth to their will!

:D

• Options

@webmost said:

What deserves more attention is how do we prevent future surreptitious germ warfare research? We don't need any more viruses to gain any more functions. No, just knock it off.

To this I can only add a resounding AMEN!

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@webmost said:

You do know the US is still funding research, including at Wuhan?

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

@d_blades said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@webmost said:

You do know the US is still funding research, including at Wuhan?

We could just let China, Russia, North Korea, ETC research and develop first. I mean, if we stop everyone else will follow suit right. I don’t know about everyone else but I’m sure glad we had the H-Bomb before Hitler and Japan.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will never understand this. we owe China money, then we give them free money that doesn’t count toward the debt. I mean **** how much pmi do we have to pay China before we can pay down the principal. I also don’t understand why we give them“aid” money either.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options

It's all pretend money anyways. If we paid them all off, just say, then it would have collapsed their economy or our economy or both economies. Debt makes the world go round.

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^^^ so I’ve been told. “It’s good debt”. It’s bad debt if we owe plus we must pay. If “they” owe it’s good, and we need to owe more to be even better.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Patrickbrick said:
    ^^^^^^^ so I’ve been told. “It’s good debt”. It’s bad debt if we owe plus we must pay. If “they” owe it’s good, and we need to owe more to be even better.

If you owe the bank 100k it’s a problem for you. If you owe the bank 100b it’s a problem for the bank.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

@Wylaff said:

@Patrickbrick said:

If you owe the bank 100k it’s a problem for you. If you owe the bank 100b it’s a problem for the bank.

Excellent point.

It also is worth remembering that this is pretty much how most of the wars of the last 1,000 years began. One nation, or church, borrowed a sum of money impossible to repay, then declared war on the "oppressor " that expected the debt to be repaid.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

thapsigargin, potential antiviral

https://scitechdaily.com/powerful-antiviral-treatment-for-covid-19-discovered-that-could-change-how-epidemics-are-managed/

papers here:

https://www.mdpi.com/search?q=thapsigargin&journal=viruses

Open AccessArticle
    Thapsigargin Is a Broad-Spectrum Inhibitor of Major Human Respiratory Viruses: Coronavirus, Respiratory Syncytial Virus and Influenza A Virus

by Sarah Al-Beltagi,Cristian Alexandru Preda,Leah V. Goulding,Joe James,Juan Pu,Paul Skinner,Zhimin Jiang,Belinda Lei ****,Jiayun Yang,Ashley C. Banyard,Kenneth H. Mellits,Pavel Gershkovich,Christopher J. Hayes,Jonathan Nguyen-Van-Tam,Ian H. Brown,Jinhua Liu andKin-Chow Chang
    Viruses 2021, 13(2), 234; https://doi.org/10.3390/v13020234 - 03 Feb 2021
    Cited by 4 | Viewed by 17879
    Abstract The long-term control strategy of SARS-CoV-2 and other major respiratory viruses needs to include antivirals to treat acute infections, in addition to the judicious use of effective vaccines. Whilst COVID-19 vaccines are being rolled out for mass vaccination, the modest number of antivirals [...] Read more.

Open AccessArticle
    Thapsigargin at Non-Cytotoxic Levels Induces a Potent Host Antiviral Response that Blocks Influenza A Virus Replication

by Leah V. Goulding,Jiayun Yang,Zhimin Jiang,Hongyu Zhang,Daniel Lea,Richard D. Emes,Tania Dottorini,Juan Pu,Jinhua Liu andKin-Chow Chang
    Viruses 2020, 12(10), 1093; https://doi.org/10.3390/v12101093 - 27 Sep 2020
    Cited by 5 | Viewed by 3664
    Abstract Influenza A virus is a major global pathogen of humans, and there is an unmet need for effective antivirals. Current antivirals against influenza A virus directly target the virus and are vulnerable to mutational resistance. Harnessing an effective host antiviral response is an [...] Read more.
    (This article belongs to the Section Viral Immunology, Vaccines, and Antivirals)

Post edited by silvermouse on
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did this thread die? Mutate?
    Asking for a friend…

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 NEW should get people fighting, I mean, discussing this topic again.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

here you go. I have no idea how much of this info has been cherrypicked:

http://www.scottschlegel.net/will-vaccines-be-able-to-end-the-pandemic/

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NorCalR1 said:
    Did this thread die? Mutate?
    Asking for a friend…

Fūckin Dave

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

You aren't going to find much information presented objectively, especially not from the CDC. So don't expect to, take everything with a grain of salt and trust your own judgement on how to best proceed. Also, don't be afraid to go against the grain if you think that is the best course of action. Great men and women all throughout history refused to follow the status quo at some point.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision - HA! :D

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

• Options

"The Chinafication of the West"

https://youtu.be/N_uAwsVn10Y

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be expected from a commie country like Australia. The people are subjects, not citizens.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.