Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Coronavirus Information

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

Exactly. The unvaccinated are not a threat to the vaccinated. Why would they be? If you're protected, and use reasonable sanitary precautions, what's the big deal?

Sure, there's a little societal disruption when the unvaccinated die in greater numbers, but that was their choice.

"I will die on this hill! No one is vaccinating me!"

OK, whatever, dude.

The arguments against getting vaccinated appear absurd to me, obviously manufactured with malicious intent to produce fear and confusion among the subjects. I note those people getting vaccinated come from all quarters, yet still there are groups who attempt to make a Left V. Right issue out of it.

Power and manipulation. If you feel strongly about this whole vaccine thing, you're probably one of the sheep. Either side of the fence.

Meanwhile, I still think that the very reasonable request, 2 weeks to flatten the curve, has run it's course.

Maybe it's time to bring back the phrase: "It's a free country, isn't it?"

I miss those days.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ran out of the hcq we have been using as a prophylaxis so are switching to that horse dewormer, 12mg per week, should have enough to get us home in a couple weeks

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good to see that you are doing what works for you, DD. Stay safe, the pandemic is killing people.

• Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

Italy’s Institute of Health now counts only those who died from COVID-19 as having died from COVID-19, reducing COVID-19 deaths in the hard-hit country from over 130,000 to fewer than 4,000.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guess they gotta be honest eventually.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^Here we go again…

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TX98Z28 said:
    ^^^Here we go again…

Hey, I’m not the one stoking the fire. 😆

I just read that If you get the vaccine you have a 37% better chance at winning on a slot machine.

• Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@TX98Z28 said:
    ^^^Here we go again…

I just read that If you get the vaccine you have a 37% better chance at winning on a slot machine.

Hahaha😆

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@TX98Z28 said:
    ^^^Here we go again…

**** that, if it was 40% then maybe

• Options
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options

You ok my man? Bringing a lefty in……

• Options

@Vision said:

I like Russel

• Options

@webmost said:

@Vision said:

I like Russel

He’s very interesting. He speaks very eloquently and is thought provoking. I have no issues with him.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2021

@webmost said:
    Italy’s Institute of Health now counts only those who died from COVID-19 as having died from COVID-19, reducing COVID-19 deaths in the hard-hit country from over 130,000 to fewer than 4,000.

I saw that, will try to locate the source.
    Edit
    Couldn't find it on short notice, maybe I should get all my news from MSNBC

Post edited by dirtdude on
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

@dirtdude said:

@webmost said:

I saw that, will try to locate the source.
    Edit
    Couldn't find it on short notice, maybe I should get all my news from MSNBC

If this were/is true, I would think it could be found on almost no notice at all. Like, everywhere.

• Options
    edited November 2021

It all depends which way you interpret this:

Research from the Italian health authorities looking at a sample of around 8,000 people who’d died in hospital with Covid-19 found 2.9% didn’t have any previous underlying conditions...

e.g.: https://fullfact.org/online/italy-death-toll/

So probably better expressed like so:

Italy’s Institute of Health reckons that fewer than 4,000 died solely from COVID-19, rather than the 130,000 attributed.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,080 ✭✭✭✭✭

So wait, those "real, independent" sources of "news" don't independently fact check and use Google translator as their language experts?

Shocking...

By the way, the "less than 4000" is an extrapolated number based upon sample testing....so not even real, just predicted. It's only 5 percent accurate to within 2 standard deviations if the sample wasn't biased.

This is the difference between real journalism and "no spin" hacks who invest 30 bucks into a dotcom domain.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options

Edit ^

Should read "accurate to within 5 percent," or 95 percent accurate. My language above makes it seem the opposite.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options

Ronald Reagan was once criticized because his movies were all crappy. He replied: "They didn't want them good. They wanted them Thursday." Journalists today are required to generate noxious clickbait by Thursday. Accuracy doesn't meet the deadline nor generate the clicks.

Still, there is a point to this extrapolated number. Nobody's about to check all 130,000 cases, so get over that... don't be silly. 8k are probably a big enough sample. The idea is that far fewer people died strictly from Covid than what clickbait headlines published by Thursday trumpet.

Point number two is that we may expect generally good medical care in a country to generate a higher proportion of Covid deaths, since there'd be more patients living with co-morbidities where care is better. One would think that a diabetic living in Minnesota, for instance, should expect to survive longer than in Burundi.

• Options

@webmost said:

Still, there is a point to this extrapolated number. Nobody's about to check all 130,000 cases, so get over that... don't be silly. 8k are probably a big enough sample. The idea is that far fewer people died strictly from Covid than what clickbait headlines published by Thursday trumpet.

Whoa there big dog, settle down. I never said that extrapolation wasn't an acceptable method. I only described extrapolation AS the method. I also never demanded that someone looked through all 130,000 cases. So settle your cookies down young man.

I questioned whether or not the sample was representative of the population. If there is bias in the sample, then the extrapolation is incorrect. That's not a far bridge for me to cross considering that the narrative in this thread 2 days ago was that italy ostensibly lied about 122,000 deaths... Who should get over it?

Since the story was ultimately used to feed the clickbait machine that Randy and everybody else jumped on, it's not an impossible reach to say that the sample they used had bias. Maybe the 8,000 cases were all from the same month. Maybe they were all from the same hospital, which was in the center of a young urban population center that serviced patients who did not have pre-existing conditions.

That would change the extrapolation, So instead of telling me to get over it when I'm not "on" it, why don't YOU just get over it?

People were referencing an article that supposedly had a hard number of some sort of lie that was told to the world, when all they did was follow a Facebook clickbait from lazy reporting using a Google translator. It was probably written by some rough Russian refugee living in Bulgaria who bought us computer with a credit card they stole from a single mom in Maryland, but it supported somebody's preconceived narrative, so it must have been true.

To your Ronald Reagan comparison, this isn't a matter of getting out fast, this is a matter of intentionally deceiving willing vax flakes and mask flakes with narratives that support their opinions that provide intentionally false information passed off as journalistic fact checking, which is what this was.

Every time some schmuck believes an article from a conservative sounding news source, It was an unintentional rush job. Whatever. One time I would like one person to admit they were duped by a source that turns out to be a piece of crap just because they agreed with that source's politics. It'll never happen.

• Options

@d_blades said:

@VegasFrank said:

Shocking...

This is the difference between real journalism and "no spin" hacks who invest 30 bucks into a dotcom domain.

I haven't seen any "real" journalism by either side of the aisle in a considerable number of years.

That's why I get my news in the aisle, not to the side of it

• Options

reminds me of this, from: https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/06/23/half-see/

for me, the key word that invokes some skepticism is 'believe'.

"Quote Investigator: The short story “The System of Dr. Tarr and Prof. Fether” by Edgar Allan Poe appeared in the November 1845 issue of “Graham’s Magazine”. The tale was set in a private hospital for the mentally ill, and the adage was spoken by the nominal head of the institution. "
    “You are young yet, my friend,” replied my host, “but the time will arrive when you will learn to judge for yourself of what is going on in the world, without trusting to the gossip of others. Believe nothing you hear, and only one half that you see."

• Options

@VegasFrank said:

@webmost said:

Every time some schmuck believes an article from a conservative sounding news source, It was an unintentional rush job. Whatever. One time I would like one person to admit they were duped by a source that turns out to be a piece of crap just because they agreed with that source's politics. It'll never happen.

I’ll admit @webmost was duped by a source that turned out to be a piece of crap.

^^^ I’ll help…..Being funny. It is funny tho.

• Options

So, I have high blood pressure, my wife had diabetes. Preexisting conditions. If a semi runs us over while we're riding the motorcycle, can you say that gross trauma is not the cause of death, because we have pre-existing conditions? The premise is flawed.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Likewise, if your preexisting condition increases the likelihood that a covid infection could be lethal rather than mild I can't see how it could be excluded from the cause of death.

• Options

Okay, closer to the argument, if I have been living comfortably with my pre-existing conditions and I contract cholera and sh*t myself to death, do you say "oh, he didn't die of cholera, he had pre-existing conditions "?