Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Corona Virus Vaccine

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Not Ever

@VegasFrank said:
    Unless we eradicate it ^ which is something I don't see happening as long as young healthy people don't care if they get it.

You will never eradicate this virus. By the time they get a vaccine ready, a new strain will always emerge. There have been flu vaccines out for years. There's always a new strain of flu that the vaccine won't touch. Covid is here to stay just as the flu is here to stay.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

The way I have interpreted all this is the vaccine doesn’t keep you from getting covid but it minimizes the affects. Less symptoms and not dying

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deadman said:
    The way I have interpreted all this is the vaccine doesn’t keep you from getting covid but it minimizes the affects. Less symptoms and not dying

But still contagious, correct? So people at high risk should be getting it, not necessarily everyone.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes ASAP

@Wylaff said:

@deadman said:

But still contagious, correct? So people at high risk should be getting it, not necessarily everyone.

This has been the weird thing with this virus. Many of those hit the hardest, dying, have been the ones who should have been able to shake it off. Healthy 35 - 45 year old athletic types with no history of cigarette or alcohol use, no diabetes, etc., dead.

Of course, it is your choice. At least half the local population here has abandoned all pretense of precaution.

As Jim Morrison said, No One Here Gets Out Alive.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

I don't disagree that it could be a good thing. I'm arguing that since I have already caught it, and have the antibodies to prove it, there should be absolutely no benefit for me to get a vaccine. The fact that the CDC is telling me I still need to get it, but will not state why, concerns me.

A vaccine teaches your body to make antibodies. My body already makes antibodies. I'm tired of the fear mongering and just want some straight scientific data.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wylaff said:

@deadman said:

Yes, from what I have read you are still contagious to others

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes ASAP

agree, but only while your body is fighting off the infection. But people who are not "high risk" can and do die, like maybe someone's parent or child....

• Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    No Not Ever

Don’t forget all “adult” products, such as tobacco, alcohol, homes, cars, rental cars, hotel rooms, a job etc.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Not Ever

Black market cards. If Chooey from Venezula can get fake documents, I oughta be able to find (or produce) a vax card easily enuff. Papiere, bitte, oder du darfst nicht leben.

I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    Yes ASAP

@Patrickbrick said:
    There is a ton of information not given, for example why does everyone “need” it. If I don’t get it how am a “huge” risk to others, if they are vaccinated what’s my risk to them? My state is already putting laws in the books that in order to be in certain facilities one must produce their vaccination card. This is getting way out of hand, the total control due to fear mongering is well underway.

You touch on a sensitive area here. I'm getting it, the vaccine, even though I'm reasonably sure that I had it, the Covid, in December 2019 before we'd ever heard of it. I'm all for folks getting vaccinated, but I'm dead set against mandates. Nearly all mandates outside the 10 commandments are pretty much meaningless to me. Still, think about that polio thing. This disease is, of course, different.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes 1 Year After Vaccine Release

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Patrickbrick said:
    There is a ton of information not given, for example why does everyone “need” it. If I don’t get it how am a “huge” risk to others, if they are vaccinated what’s my risk to them? My state is already putting laws in the books that in order to be in certain facilities one must produce their vaccination card. This is getting way out of hand, the total control due to fear mongering is well underway.

You touch on a sensitive area here. I'm getting it, the vaccine, even though I'm reasonably sure that I had it, the Covid, before we'd ever heard of it. I'm all for folks getting vaccinated, but I'm dead set against mandates. Nearly all mandates outside the 10 commandments are pretty much meaningless to me. Still, think about that polio thing. This disease is, of course, different.

The argument with polio for me is that the vaccine stops you from getting it. Has anybody that has gotten the vaccine actually contracted polio? This "vaccine" for covid doesn't actually prevent you from getting it. Just lessens the symptoms hopefully. I am not opposed to getting it but I also feel it has been rushed through and there is not enough data either way to say if it is a good or bad thing at this point. Also the government in a "free" country is going to tell people that they don't have a choice in the matter? I will be waiting until there can be more info behind it that can actually be trusted. Not the stuff being fed to everybody from the government.

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    No Not Ever

The irony today is that Americans keep bragging about their land of the free, yet cannot tell a joke, paint their face, whistle at a pretty girl, or even worship an ancestor without losing their careers and livelihoods.  PC tyranny rules supreme;  media, Hollywood, Big Tech, and academia follow strict orders;  and foolish Americans pretend that they’re free.
    Blatantly pilfered from www.kimdutoit.com

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes ASAP

Nothing is 100%

"A new polio outbreak in Sudan has been linked to the oral polio vaccine that uses a weakened form of the virus.

"News of the outbreak comes a week after the World Health Organization (WHO) announced that wild polio had been eradicated in Africa.

"The WHO linked the cases to a strain of the virus that had been noted circulating in Chad last year and warned that the risk of spread to other parts of the Horn of Africa was high."

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/sep/02/vaccine-derived-polio-spreads-in-africa-after-defeat-of-wild-virus

• Options
    Yes ASAP

@silvermouse said:

Nothing is 100%

"A new polio outbreak in Sudan has been linked to the oral polio vaccine that uses a weakened form of the virus.

"News of the outbreak comes a week after the World Health Organization (WHO) announced that wild polio had been eradicated in Africa.

"The WHO linked the cases to a strain of the virus that had been noted circulating in Chad last year and warned that the risk of spread to other parts of the Horn of Africa was high."

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/sep/02/vaccine-derived-polio-spreads-in-africa-after-defeat-of-wild-virus

This worries me with smallpox. "We've eradicated it!" say the Powers-that-be, all the while they're manufacturing it as a possible weapon for future use.

I don't trust "them".

Which makes me suspect, as in "a suspect", in the eyes of some.

• Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Not Ever

I am not a conspiracy theorist...but when it comes to believing our government and pharma companies, I have doubt's about this vaccine. They say it is safe, however how can they be certain so soon. Too many unknowns for me to be trusting in these money grabbing fools. If I or Mrs. Slob get it again, we will seek treatment if necessary.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No Not Ever

If corrupt politicians, Hollywood and large pharmaceutical companies all want me to get it, it can't be good for me.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes ASAP

OJ got it, and he'd kill a bítch. Good enough for me.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Yes ASAP

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Wylaff said:

@deadman said:

This has been the weird thing with this virus. Many of those hit the hardest, dying, have been the ones who should have been able to shake it off. Healthy 35 - 45 year old athletic types with no history of cigarette or alcohol use, no diabetes, etc., dead.

Of course, it is your choice. At least half the local population here has abandoned all pretense of precaution.

35-45 is 7400 total deaths. I’m assuming most were not in shape without underlying conditions. Not sure if that constitutes hit hardest.

Edit: This is from the CDC.

• Options
    Yes ASAP

If you get covid-19, you'll likely be off cigars for a few weeks. I'm getting my shot! :o

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No 1 Year After Vaccine Release

My dad, who is in his late 80s, who is in a care center, was diagnosed with covid a couple months ago. And while he got sick for a week or two, came through without incident. He has more problems falling out of his wheel chair, than anything else.
    Gotta figure if an old indian isn't affected by it too much, not sure I understand how it affects so many people, so differently.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No 1 Year After Vaccine Release

@VegasFrank said:
    Conspiracies, free thinking, and the risk of nano robot implants and autism aside, I'm a government stoolie who will do what the government says to do. Besides, if this is the start of the zombie apocalypse, I want to be a walker, not a runner.

I learned many lifetimes ago, that blindly doing what the govt told me to do, almost cost me my soul. So now I am a little more cautious when the govt tells me to do something.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Yes ASAP

I've been doing exactly what the govt has told me to do since the day I enlisted 26 years ago. I'm still vertical, lol, and not much worse for the wear.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Yes ASAP

@Vision said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Wylaff said:

@deadman said:

35-45 is 7400 total deaths. I’m assuming most were not in shape without underlying conditions. Not sure if that constitutes hit hardest.

If you die, you were hit hardest. Re-read the post, I did not say that was the group hit hardest.

• Options
    No Not Ever

@VegasFrank said:
    I've been doing exactly what the govt has told me to do since the day I enlisted 26 years ago. I'm still vertical, lol, and not much worse for the wear.

Funny.... I did that too for a couple decades. Don't do that anymore.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes ASAP

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Vision said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

@Wylaff said:

@deadman said:

If you die, you were hit hardest. Re-read the post, I did not say that was the group hit hardest.

They say death is finite. I guess I’m misreading it then.