Home Non Cigar Related

Stupid **** that pops into my head

Comments

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Foil on the rabbit ears.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10

@ShawnOL said:
    Foil on the rabbit ears.

We only had one local TV station that rabbit ears, even with foil, would have received an acceptable signal. The remaining three or four signals would have come from 90 miles away, so rabbit ears were not typical unless you had just moved in and hadn't had time to set up the big one yet.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    Y’all had a tv???

Not until 1953.

My family's first TV was a b&w unit in the wood console. Had to get up and change the channel when the grups told us to.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 said:
    Y’all had a tv???

After I turned 9

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid we had CBS and NBC for several years. I remember well the day an ABC station joined the line-up.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

I remember the first thing I ever saw on a Color TV. It was vivid colors in the landscape of a roadrunner and coyote cartoon at Mr. Corvick's house. The Corvick's were friends of my parents, and his twin daughters babysat me when I was 4 or 5. It was many years before my parents got their first color TV and I don't remember that milestone at all.

• VisionVision Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

A disagree... but no response.... motorcycle owner I assume??

• TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even where it is legal, I never split lanes when I was riding. It seemed to dangerous.

Splitting lanes is 100% safe. Until it isn't.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like it, but it's one less vehicle I have to wait to respond to a green light

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

What would it look like if Trump dropped out and let Tulsi Gabbard take his place? Won't happen, of course, his ego wouldn't allow it, but what if? Hmm...

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TRayB said:
    Even where it is legal, I never split lanes when I was riding. It seemed to dangerous.

They just legalized this in AZ at a stoplight a bike can split lanes to get out from the back of the pack. I don't anticipate taking advantage.

A little dirt never hurt
    edited August 19

Sometimes I wonder why people find their way to us in order to find out "what it's worth" concerning the cigars they found in their deceased Grandpa's attic after he died.

I guess it makes sense to them, we're cigar guys and all. I just wonder what's going on in their head. "Oh boy! I'm going to cash in on all Grandpa's cigars! Might be thousands and thousands of dollars!"

Then we have to break the news: Cigars stored in a cardboard box in a 104 degree attic for 15 years should be added to the compost heap.

Then they're mad at us.

Strange, but we see it every year.

Post edited by Amos_Umwhat on

edited August 19

I think it's a combination of timing and also that people can find us too easily. They assume with a name like cigar.com our forum should be large, friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Now back to timing. The cigar boom and the sustained demand through the years created a boom in cigar enthusiasts who are now passing away in greater numbers and other people who don't know anything about cigars are ending up with their leftover humidors and cigars and they must use google to ask questions.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Sometimes I wonder why people find their way to us in order to find out "what it's worth" concerning the cigars they found in their deceased Grandpa's attic after he died.

I guess it makes sense to them, we're cigar guys and all. I just wonder what's going on in their head. "Oh boy! I'm going to cash in on all Grandpa's cigars! Might be thousands and thousands of dollars!"

Then we have to break the news: Cigars stored in a cardboard box in a 104 degree attic for 15 years should be added to the compost heap.

Then they're mad at us.

You're wondering about people who don't know that they don't know, because you don't know about the people who don't know what they don't know?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 19

Sounds like a business opportunity for someone.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

How hot is your cold tap water? I noticed mine was warm this morning. Measured 80* Fahrenheit. There' a holding tank that gets sunlight up on the hill above the neighborhood, but I think the supply lines are getting heated up worse because the ground is dry and cracked. Does that make sense?

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure does.

@peter4jc said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Then they're mad at us.

You're wondering about people who don't know that they don't know, because you don't know about the people who don't know what they don't know?

Got a chuckle out of this. You know, it's not called the "super-smart sh!gt that pops into my head" thread.
    ;)

Did you notice there was no "immigration crisis" until the red states got fed up with it and bussed them to the commie states?