Home Non Cigar Related

Political Discussions

Comments

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

That’s an understatement!

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

C'mon man

A little dirt never hurt
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rhamlin said:
    They all suck!

But do they swallow. Well we know Harris does.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Usaf06 said:

@Rhamlin said:
    They all suck!

But do they swallow. Well we know Harris does.

Well, you know anyways. I have no firsthand knowledge of it, but I'm more than happy to take your word.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

What happened to Trust but Verify?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

I first thought this should go in the "You Can't Make this Stuff Up" thread, but decided it might be considered political enough for this thread. I know some folks try to avoid the political stuff.

I believe men like this guy are just making a mockery of women.
    https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/tampon-infleuncer-endorsement

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

edited January 2023

My head is going to explode if I don't say it. What if he marketed it as a butttplug?

I know, there's something wrong with my brain. I can't stop it. I think God just made me like this.

And, I'm OK with that.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

"democracy" Peru-style:
    "Checks and balances are necessary for the functioning of any democracy. But over the past six years, they have started to backfire in Peru. Once checks and balances became tools to overpower the other branches of government, it was only a matter of time before a democratic disaster emerged."

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/peru/perus-democratic-dysfunction

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Democracy is a dangerous beast, easily turned onto the people it purports to serve. Thank God we're not a democracy. Long live our constitutional republic.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

@ShawnOL said:
    Democracy is a dangerous beast, easily turned onto the people it purports to serve. Thank God we're not a democracy. Long live our constitutional republic.

Amen!

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ShawnOL said:

I know what you're saying, and agree. But apparently, even a constitutional republic can be bought, and corrupted.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:

@ShawnOL said:

I know what you're saying, and agree. But apparently, even a constitutional republic can be bought, and corrupted.

I'd say more sold out than bought.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

Can't have a buyer without a seller, and vice-versa.

ever wonder how much $$ flows from business and special interests to lobbying our elected leaders? Whose pockets get it, the leaders or the lawyers and lobbyists? I don't understand how this system works, cash-flow-wise.

Here are your Lobbying Disclosure Act revenue rankings for 2022.

https://www.politico.com/newsletters/politico-influence/2023/01/23/brownstein-tops-60m-as-business-remains-brisk-on-k-street-00079093

Understanding it will only frustrate you more. Come to think of it, the money that ends up in the pockets of whoever is our money, from the profits of what we buy or investments we make, "spent" in D.C. so those making profits off of our money can make more profits. Am I right? (serious question)

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

@First_Warrior said:
    I think the reason the politicians don't want to lose a election is because they will never find another job where they can make such easy money.

A month ago, "Nancy Pelosi's husband" sold $3,000,000 worth of Google stock. Yesterday, the DOJ announced they were investigating them for monopolizing the online advertising market.

I'd like to see politicians get significant raises, like multiple million dollar salaries, and then be banned from any form of investing in any way. I want the raised salaries so that very smart and successful people won't have to sacrifice too much to take what might be the most miserable job in existence in my opinion. But if you (or your "family") want to invest in anything, you have to retire, permanently.

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never gonna happen!

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

How about a Constitutional Amendment that requires Congress to be bound by the same rules they make for everyone else?

For instance, their retirement is Social Security. They're only, repeat only, health care options are Medicare. If they're caught on an insider trading scheme, it's Martha Stewart time!

:D:D:p;)

• TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    And this Congress, the group you're proposing will make the Constitutional amendment into law, is it the same one that will be restricted by said amendment? Hehehe...

Well, congress did ban intoxicating liquors with a Constitutional amendment once. Nancy did not approve though.

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    A month ago, "Nancy Pelosi's husband" sold $3,000,000 worth of Google stock. Yesterday, the DOJ announced they were investigating them for monopolizing the online advertising market.

I'd like to see politicians get significant raises, like multiple million dollar salaries, and then be banned from any form of investing in any way. I want the raised salaries so that very smart and successful people won't have to sacrifice too much to take what might be the most miserable job in existence in my opinion. But if you (or your "family") want to invest in anything, you have to retire, permanently.

More money won't make up for their lack of moral fiber and integrity.

They already seek further profit while making six figures a year. In my opinion, given a substantial raise, they would simply seek to profit even more from special interest groups and backroom deals.

Our first night in the barracks in basic training the drill sergeant told us "Locks won't stop a thief, they're just there to keep an honest man honest". I think that was sort of @CalvinAndHobo 's idea, enough salary to keep an honest Congressman honest. I've actually advocated for this approach many times. Same for the police, pay them enough, and train them enough to stop the common problems.

Of course, who ever heard of an honest Congressman?

• BullSquatchBullSquatch Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭✭

My grandpa always said "The lawmakers are the greatest lawbreakers..."

"Some people meditate, I smoke cigars." - Ron Perlman
    "...I intend to go home tonight and smoke a cigar to the glory of God." - Charles Spurgeon
    Two Time Cigar Lottery Winner

I am grateful to live in a country where the citizens are free to think and believe what they choose so long as they extend that right to others. The emerging trend seems to me to be heading in a different direction though, one of totalitarianism. For instance:

"In a press release about the announced legislation, the governor’s office called diversity, equity and inclusion programs “discriminatory” and vowed to prohibit universities from funding them, even if the source of the money isn’t coming from the state.”

I don't know, Edward... It looks to me like it's a reaction, maybe an overreaction, to an imbalance in the universities in the last several decades. If this is heading for totalitarianism, then what has it been over these many years, when thoughts other than so many universities' leftist thoughts were prevented or prohibited?

edited February 2023

At what point will the student be evaluated based on the content of their character, or the quality of their work, rather than the color of their skin or their claimed gender identification? Will we ever see that day?

That will be the day that equality in education is achieved.