Home Non Cigar Related

Political Discussions

Comments

• VisionVision Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:

@Vision said:

@Bob_Luken said:
    Yeah! And our first amendment only protects your right to share your thoughts on paper with a quill pen. This internet thing was never part of the deal man!

With that logic woman and minorities shouldn't vote........ asking for a friend...?

Edit Added (?)

"That logic" is YOUR logic.
    First you make joke using "that logic"
    inspiring me to make joke using "that logic".
    Then you try to call me out on "that logic"?
    Good one.

No one called you out. I said "with that logic" not by "your" logic. I worded it that way intentionally so as not to assume. I also phrased it as a question that anyone could answer. 😉

• Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:
    No one called you out. I said "with that logic" not by "your" logic. I worded it that way intentionally so as not to assume. I also phrased it as a question that anyone could answer. 😉

Whether in seriousness or jest, you were certainly trying to call him out.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

edited December 2022

@Hobbes86 said:

@Vision said:

No. I wasn't Ian. Zero. You have time to edit that.....

I like Michael, He's a good man who tells it how he feels. I absolutely not attacking him or calling him out.

Edit added

@Hobbes86 said:

@Vision said:

Or are you just starting ****?

@Vision said:

Yes you were.

@Vision said:

No, I wouldn't want to encroach upon your territory.

@Hobbes86 said:

@Vision said:

Yes you were.

@Vision said:

No, I wouldn't want to encroach upon your territory.

I added above. You may want to read.

@Hobbes86 .... go back and find any post where I have blatantly attacked anyone. You'll never find one. Other than half of your condescending posts you provide very little to conversation.

@Vision said:
    @Hobbes86 .... go back and find any post where I have blatantly attacked anyone. You'll never find one. Other than half of your condescending posts you provide very little to conversation.

Hey!!! There is a first!

@Vision said:

Not all attacks are blatant, Pete.

@Hobbes86 you don't like me because I don't pray the same way you do or think the same way you do... that's ok. But try to discuss and not just judge from your soap box that you have climbed so high upon. Try to figure out the reasons why instead of blindly, following anything in life.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

@Vision said:
    @Hobbes86 you don't like me because I don't pray the same way you do or think the same way you do... that's ok. But try to discuss and not just judge from your soap box that you have climbed so high upon. Try to figure out the reasons why instead of blindly, following anything in life.

You are not the only person here that doesn't pray or think the same way I do, Pete. However, it seems to me that you take issue with those differences more than anyone else.

@Hobbes86 said:

@Vision said:

You are not the only person here that doesn't pray or think the same way I do, Pete. However, it seems to me that you take issue with those differences more than anyone else.

Some people tell you how they feel. Some people tell you how to feel. Which one are you?

@Vision said:
    Some people tell you how they feel. Some people tell you how to feel. Which one are you?

Nobody fits neatly into either of those categories.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Something is really diseased about our society. I love this country but sure don't like how some of its values are changing:

Hate speech on Twitter has jumped since Elon Musk took over, researchers found. Kanye West was suspended last night after posting a swastika.
    Friday, December 2, 2022 9:21 AM ET

The findings — from the Center for Countering Digital Hate, the Anti-Defamation League and other groups that study online platforms — provide the most comprehensive picture to date of how conversations on Twitter have changed since Mr. Musk acquired the site.

These changes are alarming, researchers said, adding that they had never seen such a sharp increase in hate speech, problematic content and formerly banned accounts in such a short period on a mainstream social media platform.

• GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

@ShawnOL said:
    Militia: all of the people except a few public figures.

Right: god-given. Cannot be infringed.

The people: all of us.

Keep: own, possess.

Bear: hold or carry.

Arms: all bearable weapons.

Infringe: actively break the terms of (a law, agreement, etc.). act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on. Fvck with.

Well regulated. Carefully chosen words…..often ignored.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never tweeted, nor am I on Twitter... the previous owner's business model was to censor tweets, seemingly based on what suited him, similar to Facebook with their way-left/woke factcheckers. It was always promoted as a platform for free speech, but we didn't see the hate speech and problematic content because it never saw the light of day. We can argue if Musk is doing the right thing by opening that spigot, but that's why it's increased.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

I've never understood why hate speech isn't the most protected speech. An educated person can easily counter it. Much easier to identify persons and ideas you disagree with if they are freely expressed.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many morons.

Better to let fools speak, and show themselves as fools.

edited December 2022

@Hobbes86 said:
    Better to let fools speak, and show themselves as fools.

Are we talking hate speech or people who don't share your point of views?

Edit. I'm being serious

@Vision said:
    Are we talking hate speech or people who don't share your point of views?

Edit. I'm being serious

I was speaking in reference to the hate speech.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,687 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many eons ago, when I was young, there was a comic strip called Steve Canyon. One of the things Canyon used to say was: "I may not agree with what he says, but I'll defend his right to say it with my life."

It was a difficult concept for a little kid like me to grasp. Seems it's been lost altogether these days. If people are allowed to freely express even stupid ideas, it's quite easy for intelligent responses to negate those ideas. People teetering on the border can see and decide for themselves.

When the stupid speech is repressed, a precedent of limiting speech and ideas is set. Once that precedent is set, how far will it go? Yes, that's a slippery slope fallacy, but slippery slope fallacy is not always wrong. Add in the factor that then the stupid-speakers can make an argument that "the Man" is holding them down, and you've started a fire in the people who are drawn to it.

Only when the stupid start acting out their stupidity must it be addressed. Yes, there's the "fire in a crowded theater" kind of speech that must also be addressed, in case anyone thought I was unaware of that.

Do we lock up Kanye for his obviously stupid speech? Or, do we just let Jimmy Kimmel roast him on a nightly basis until no one takes him seriously?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@raidermike did some actual research on the militia factor and tried to use that language from the constitution I am attempt to organize some sort of militia, and therefore induce some sort of additional carry privilege. I can't remember all of the details, and so I will speak vaguely, but he said that the final adjudication of the subject from some sort of state authority and/or lawyers was that the current form of militia is the National Guard...and that it's not necessarily lawful for groups of private citizens to band together as a militia.

That said, it puts a spin on 2A, if you're so inclined to take the amendment as a whole instead of as a sum of parts (to which I think Michael was alluding, and of which I believe the was the founders' intention).

If the "well regulated militia" is actually today's National Guard, then the means (bearing of arms) to the end (a well regulated militia) could limit those who can carry to people who serve or will serve in the militia...and could equally imply that those who DO bear arms are expected to do so in the pursuit of their eventual militia, or National Guard, service.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you or I owned a company with 3.5 trillion dollars in assets and couldn't account for 61% of those assets, would you fire the people in charge? Asking for America

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision
    Hey Pete, would you do me a favor by rephrasing your question?
    "....... asking for a friend...?" ..., is typically preceded by a question.
    "With that logic woman and minorities shouldn't vote." <--- That's a statement, not a question that anyone could answer.
    TYIA

P.S. I am being serious, and don't call me Shirley.

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

Well Regulated: working properly or well.
    As in "Well regulated sights" or "Well regulated clock".
    Not regulated out of existence by slimy politicians or bureaucrats. You have to go by the meaning of speech in use at the time of the founding, not a hundred years later. The militia was not the national guard at that time.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

edited December 2022

@Bob_Luken said:
    @Vision
    Hey Pete, would you do me a favor by rephrasing your question?
    "....... asking for a friend...?" ..., is typically preceded by a question.
    "With that logic woman and minorities shouldn't vote." <--- That's a statement, not a question that anyone could answer.
    TYIA

P.S. I am being serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Oh Bob. ...So, then, with that logic......?