Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Political Discussions

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

I would like to think that unis. helped students explore both sides of issues that had sides. I don't recall seeing legislation offered to ban that until now. I call that government overreach.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    I would like to think that unis. helped students explore both sides of issues that had sides. I don't recall seeing legislation offered to ban that until now. I call that government overreach.

Perhaps I misunderstood. I absolutely believe that universities should be willing to explore all sides of any issue.

I thought we were talking about exclusionary programs that based their decisions on things that were not intellectual ideas, but rather on affiliation with favored groups based on race, religion, or gender identification.

All should be welcomed, providing that there's room and that the earned qualifications have been met.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

He ran for re-election on implementing an anti-woke agenda and is delivering what the majority of his voters want. If he screws it up, Florida can choose a governor with a different agenda next time. Where's the totalitarianism?

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    **DeSantis has not hidden his agenda. He ran for reelection last year on an anti-woke platform, aimed largely at the state’s public schools and universities – places that help shape the hearts and minds of the next generation, which is why they are such a flashpoint.

The fact he won in a landslide – by nearly 20 percentage points – is indicative that many Floridians support the governor and want to see him follow through on his campaign promises to eradicate "wokeness." **

https://news.yahoo.com/desantis-wants-florida-college-students-100503050.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmluZy5jb20v&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAADl9UWILVOWY8jXaypwrnvCMZnBuy-tp27CLOOv3OzGkCIJ0Ofb032ldhFpaep-CkH8If1R3WevP-3NQabcYwv17DH5UKE_azLQU99EMR0_KtMlQUfDXinic8pbqsNSqy15P_Asx1RrHBPAdhEpFV68PHK2pahiQhM-M28XnSaGM

• Options

What I don't get about that is he is lauded by the same people who cry 'Freedom' and 'get the government out of our business!'. I guess if you are socially conservative it doesn't seem like meddling in the lives of others to repress honest discussion about racism, sexism, etc. even though those social issues have serious consequences on some Americans.

• Options
    edited February 2023

@silvermouse said:
    What I don't get about that is he is lauded by the same people who cry 'Freedom' and 'get the government out of our business!'. I guess if you are socially conservative it doesn't seem like meddling in the lives of others to repress honest discussion about racism, sexism, etc. even though those social issues have serious consequences on some Americans.

Do you think the progressive, woke administrations, and woke students at universities in this country allow conservative students and conservative educators, if there are any, to express themselves and participate in honest discussion about racism, sexism, etc?

• Options

Yes, a lot of schools are liberal. A government that bans even discussion of the social issues doesn't promote discussion in schools, though, and that's the goal. Adding the dogwhistle 'woke' shuts down the discussion: You're black, gay, female, you should know your place. You are a free American, sit down, stop whining, and shut up. It is crazy-making. I don't see the logic.

• Options
    edited February 2023

@silvermouse said:
    Yes, a lot of schools are liberal. A government that bans even discussion of the social issues doesn't promote discussion in schools, though, and that's the goal. Adding the dogwhistle 'woke' shuts down the discussion: You're black, gay, female, you should know your place. You are a free American, sit down, stop whining, and shut up. It is crazy-making. I don't see the logic.

Eureka! I see the totalitarianism now. No DeSantis! Biden/Harris 2024!

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

There IS a solution to the "problem" though. Conservatives could dedicate their lives to public service and teach....

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023

@VegasFrank said:
    There IS a solution to the "problem" though. Conservatives could dedicate their lives to public service and teach....

Dedicate their lives to public service?

Being a professor or teacher is no more virtuous than any other honest profession.

That being said, I do not necessarily disagree with your point. If there were more political diversity among professors and other university staff some of these issues may not exist. Then again, do we even know the liberal to conservative ratio among university faculty?

It is my opinion that the mighty dollar could be the most powerful tool in a situation like this. Don't pay to attend a school that stands in direct opposition to your beliefs.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

@VegasFrank said:
    And for some reason, few conservatives do it. And they bitçh about indoctrination. Meanwhile, I look around this forum and don't see a lot of silver spoons, so I guess many of us went to public schools. Still, many of us escaped the clutches of these evil liberal brainwashers...but we worry that our children won't be as lucky!

None of it makes sense, and from where I sit, people can either lament their terrible luck and curse the fate of the world, or they can get off their Keisters and affect change for themselves. I chose the latter...

We will have to agree to disagree as regards the virtuosness of the teaching profession.

Who says few conservatives teach? The ratio of liberal to conservatives in the teaching worl might be more equal than we realize. Perhaps the greater disparity is in positions of power in the universities.

Yes, we escaped our schools with our critical thinking skills intact. However, our schools were not these schools. Our schools did not form clubs or spaces based on skin color. Our schools valued merit more highly than race. At least, that is how I remember them.

I agree that it is best for people to take action and affect change for themselves. Perhaps that is what's being done in Florida now?

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:

@VegasFrank said:
    And for some reason, few conservatives do it. And they bitçh about indoctrination. Meanwhile, I look around this forum and don't see a lot of silver spoons, so I guess many of us went to public schools. Still, many of us escaped the clutches of these evil liberal brainwashers...but we worry that our children won't be as lucky!

None of it makes sense, and from where I sit, people can either lament their terrible luck and curse the fate of the world, or they can get off their Keisters and affect change for themselves. I chose the latter...

We will have to agree to disagree as regards the virtuosness of the teaching profession.

Who says few conservatives teach? The ratio of liberal to conservatives in the teaching worl might be more equal than we realize. Perhaps the greater disparity is in positions of power in the universities.

Yes, we escaped our schools with our critical thinking skills intact. However, our schools were not these schools. Our schools did not form clubs or spaces based on skin color. Our schools valued merit more highly than race. At least, that is how I remember them.

I agree that it is best for people to take action and affect change for themselves. Perhaps that is what's being done in Florida now?

Nah, the issues change, but the narrative has always been the same. Taking prayer out of school and "under god" out of the pledge in my time, and integration in my parents'. Today it's acceptance of other lifestyles. It has always come down to the level of progressiveness being taught by the younger generations to the children of the older generations.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:

Nah, the issues change, but the narrative has always been the same. Taking prayer out of school and "under god" out of the pledge in my time, and integration in my parents'. Today it's acceptance of other lifestyles. It has always come down to the level of progressiveness being taught by the younger generations to the children of the older generations.

I think labeling it as "acceptance of other lifestyles" is an understatement. It isn't just asking to be accepted, but a demand to be, under threat of punishment. There is a severe threat to our freedom of speech looming over our heads. This threat is partially advanced by "woke" faculty at universities that make skin color and sexual identification an issue.

• Options

Yeah you think it's an understatement, but that's where I will disagree with you brother.

I'm not going to argue with you because it's a fruitless endeavor lol. You will never agree with me and I will never agree with you. That's okay in my book.

From a purely argumentative standpoint, I love the rhetorical techniques that you used here. As someone who studies rhetoric for a living, I find it intriguing. The buzz words like demanding, threat, freedom, and woke are meant to both lend credibility to your argument through the use of the constitution of the United States and invoke strong emotional reactions from those who share your beliefs, kind of like circling the wagons. I love it!

You'll disagree with this and although I risk offending you by saying it, I'll give you my opinion about the argument that you made in the pursuit of honest communication:

I think that there's a segment of the population with strong religious beliefs who find alternative lifestyles to be immoral. While the teachings of christ that i have read, and it's been a while, admittedly, essentially come down to the golden rule, I think this segment of the population believes or desires for the immorality to be wiped off the face of the earth. I find this contradictory to the teachings of Christ because I believe that the essence of his teachings was for people to live the best life they could live, and let others do the same. I also strongly believe that this segment of the population uses intimidation to inflict emotional damage on the so-called immoral people. I absolutely believe that they truly believe that society and freedom and gold bucket carrying leprechauns will all be destroyed if this segment of the population is allowed to live their lives the way they want to, instead of the in the ways in which this segment of the population prescribes. I think they honestly believe that their children will fall prey to perverts and will be subjected to a life of pain and an afterlife of hell. This belief, in my opinion comes from a standpoint of fear. Fear of the unknown and fear of the different. I find it reprehensible and against the teachings of christ. But hey I'm just one guy.

I'm not saying that's you dude. I'm saying that this segment of the population exists, and it is loud, and it is influential. I'm also saying that kids from 6 to 60 are savvy. I'm saying that they are more influenced by their peers than they are by their teachers because it's the truth. It has been scientifically proven for 100 years.

This loud and influential segment of the population doesn't realize that kids are going to like and love the kids that they're going to like and love , and it doesn't have one **** bit to do with what a blue-haired teacher in a classroom tells them.

I'll assume that you're disagree below lol.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

it doesn't have one **** bit to do with what a blue-haired teacher in a classroom tells them.

If it doesn’t matter one **** bit, then the policies proposing to eliminate the current curriculum at issue should not bother you. But it seems that it does.

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,648 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

It’s painful for me to agree with Frank……but if someone has an issue with the staff and curriculum at an institution, it’s legal to home school your children.

My wife is Chair of the fine arts department at the University of New Mexico.
    If you want to discuss sexual identity, skin color issues, or the binding parameters that faculty and administrators are bound by, I’ll be glad to invite her here to bring actual facts.
    @Hobbes86 has expressed many opinions but I don’t see any facts.

Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options

@Guitarded said:

@VegasFrank said:

It’s painful for me to agree with Frank……but if someone has an issue with the staff and curriculum at an institution, it’s legal to home school your children.

My wife is Chair of the fine arts department at the University of New Mexico.
    If you want to discuss sexual identity, skin color issues, or the binding parameters that faculty and administrators are bound by, I’ll be glad to invite her here to bring actual facts.

Woah woah woah, let’s not get carried away.

• Options
    edited February 2023

@Guitarded said:

What is the opinion to fact ratio that must be met in order to partake in this thread?

@VegasFrank
    I'm not ignoring your latest reply, just still processing it and considering what you said.

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:

@Guitarded said:

What is the opinion to fact ratio that must be met in order to partake in this thread?

Obviously none.

What are you afraid of?
    That your children might be exposed to someone that looks, acts, or thinks in a manner differently than what you have domineered in to them?

• Options

@Guitarded said:
    Obviously none.

What are you afraid of?
    That your children might be exposed to someone that looks, acts, or thinks in a manner differently than what you have domineered in to them?

Nobody here has argued that people different than us shouldn't be allowed in schools. Nor has anyone argued that people different from us shouldn't be allowed in society.

Recent discussion has been about the trend of universities no longer prioritizing merit over skin color, sexual identity, etc. Which also included talk of liberal vs. conservative professors and teachers.

There was also conversation about whether or not sexually graphic material should be in school libraries. Though I don't recall if that was this thread or not.

I am not domineering, but I will fulfill my duty as a father and do my best to guide and instruct my children in the way they should go. Which I think other fathers on this forum do as well, just in different ways and with different values.

• Options

The trend of universities no longer prioritizing merit over skin color etc….

Where did you get this information?
    Google? A “news” channel?
    An opinion was expressed and I am curious where the facts came from or was this someone else’s baseless opinion that was regurgitated.

This is a political thread to express opinions, I am curious where the information comes from that these opinions are based on.

It’s not personal, we can agree to disagree.
    I don’t share most of my opinions because they aren’t popular and I lack the desire to debate them.

• Options

@Guitarded said:
    The trend of universities no longer prioritizing merit over skin color etc….

Where did you get this information?
    Google? A “news” channel?
    An opinion was expressed and I am curious where the facts came from or was this someone else’s baseless opinion that was regurgitated.

This is a political thread to express opinions, I am curious where the information comes from that these opinions are based on.

It’s not personal, we can agree to disagree.
    I don’t share most of my opinions because they aren’t popular and I lack the desire to debate them.

Here are a couple of articles referencing acceptable SAT scores based on race.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/17/harvards-gatekeeper-reveals-sat-cutoff-scores-based-on-race/

https://www.nationalreview.com/2017/08/jeff-sessions-affirmative-action-college-admissions-investigate-racial-discrimination/

• Options

So you expressed an opinion based on a google search.

Do you have any personal experience with a college level administrator, professor, faculty, or a student applying for admission?
    I’m not questioning the topic, but the method of research.

• Options

If the holy bible is a book and the church is based on it, does that make the church a tax exempt book club?

• Options
    edited February 2023

@Guitarded said:

……but if someone has an issue with the an institution, it’s legal to home school your children.

And it's also legal for a governor of a state, who has an issue with staff and curriculum at a state institution, to make changes that will make some libs lose their s***.

• Options

@Guitarded said:

Do you have any personal experience with a college level administrator, professor, faculty, or a student applying for admission?

Not based on a Google search, based on information contained within articles. Things like quotes from a Harvard dean and the personal experiences of students and others who worked in admissions at universities.

• Options

Will you define losing their s**t?

Would said governor make changes that would cost them reelection?
    Or did they make changes to get re-elected?
    Is the issue personal beliefs or what the outspoken majority wants?
    Political party agenda?
    My ongoing question is WHY, not necessarily what occurred.

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:

@Guitarded said:

Not based on a Google search, based on information contained within articles. Things like quotes from a Harvard dean and the personal experiences of students and others who worked in admissions at universities.

So you have zero personal experience, but are willing to express an opinion based on “news” articles. Congratulations.