Home Non Cigar Related

Political Discussions

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

here is a good example of why separating church and state is a good idea (unless you like authoritarianism):

In an attempt to rein in the increasing number of women defying Iran's compulsory dress code, authorities are installing cameras in public places and thoroughfares to identify and penalize unveiled women, the police announced.
    --Reuters

• ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw this on the local propaganda channel. Gov. Maura Healey announced the state is stockpiling Abortion pills for the clinics and is setting aside another million dollars to the abortion clinics. Purely partisan politics. Since when is it the government's job to provide abortions? At the tax payers expense, no less.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a Yahoo piece this morning essentially blaming Biden for the state of the economy. I know that this is a popular pastime, but even just scratching the surface of deeper thought reveals it to be a ludicrous notion.

Not that he's particularly helping the situation, but this has been going on for a long long time.

Post WWII America was an enigma, an economy in full production mode whose factories were still standing. This served us quite well for awhile, but no one took into consideration that the emerging nations we were helping to rebuild, and treating with open disdain and animosity, were getting much more advanced technology to work with compared with the 1920's technology most American companies were working with. Well, I say no one took it into consideration, I guess it would be more accurate to say that no one with an enduring interest in the well being of the average American citizen.

So, throughout the 60's and 70's, then exponentially, the greed-heads collaborated on Wall St. and in Washington D.C. to shift our economy to a ridiculous notion called a "consumer based economy". They stood to make the big bucks in their lifetimes, and worked hard at cashing in as they shifted manufacturing to various approved third world nations. "Americans don't want those kinds of jobs" became an accepted way of looking at things.

To have an economy without a manufacturing base is like having a house and no land to put it on.

So, probably ever since the Eisenhower administration we have spent the enormous capital generated during those years, the Democrats taxing and spending, the Republicans spending and passing the cost on to later generations, until 60 years later they've spent the money well into the late 21st century, while doing nearly nothing to correct the real problems.

Not a big Biden fan, but placing the blame for our current problems on this one tiny cog in the machine seems an extreme form of scapegoatism.

Thanks all, just had to get that off my chest for no particular reason other than that my brain won't shut up about it until I do.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as this country only has policy that stretches to the next election cycle, things will get worse, regardless of which party is in charge.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Not a big Biden fan, but placing the blame for our current problems on this one tiny cog in the machine seems an extreme form of scapegoatism.

I don't buy either part of that sentence.

Also, I wish there was an easy way for people to refer to the current administration as a culprit (or a hero) rather than laying blame at Biden. I doubt he's capable of much, good or bad.

Every administration for 60 years has had the same kind of system to deal with regarding manufacturing/service. How much of the blame would you actually assess, Steve, to this "tiny cog"?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    edited April 2023

@peter4jc said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

I don't buy either part of that sentence.

Also, I wish there was an easy way for people to refer to the current administration as a culprit (or a hero) rather than laying blame at Biden. I doubt he's capable of much, good or bad.

Every administration for 60 years has had the same kind of system to deal with regarding manufacturing/service. How much of the blame would you actually assess, Steve, to this "tiny cog"?

Hmm, I think you've missed a few things there. Time for another cup of coffee and clean your glasses, then read it again.

To wit:
    1) You think I'm a "Biden Fan"? I assure you that I did not vote for him.

2) Your last paragraph, in fact your whole post, simply condenses exactly what I said. You've just highlighted the main thrust of the post.

Oh, and since Biden's been there for the last 60 years he does indeed bear a larger portion of the blame than most. But nowhere near enough to blame the whole mess on him. That's the point. Or, perhaps I misunderstood the implication of your reply when you said that you "don't buy either part of that sentence"?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a fan? Noted. Coming to his defense, when most would say he didn't do much to improve the economy while doing a good job of making it worse, says you're more of a fan than most of those who didn't vote for him.

It seems to be a common mistake to say "POTUS is to blame for ___" when it's more nuanced, and knowing you for as long as I have, I believe that was the gist of what you said. At the same time, anyone not willing to say the US's economic system has decades of obstacles built into it and POTUS is entirely to blame for not correcting it, is someone who is to entrenched is "his side" to be debated with. (that's not you, but plenty on the Left and the Right are too far gone) I used to hate it when my wife would ascribe intention to my mistakes and oversights. It's interesting to me, that many on the Right and the Left will take mistakes in the way of policies that turned out to be wrong as policies that were designed with an end goal way down the road, like the administration (or those pulling their strings) are playing 4D chess; like they'll think Biden's attempt to pour money into the economy was designed to do more than help people. I probably read more into your post than I should have. Reasonable people know Biden didn't do all this on his own, so I read your reminder of that fact, as being in favor of his agenda. Sorry.

Thank you for reminding me/us that one man/one administration can't undo decades of mistakes. I don't know... are they bumbling idiots, taking stabs at what might work, only to find out they were wrong? Are they more than mere men who should know what to do and what not to do?

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis

Yeah, coming to his defense wasn't so much what I had in mind as pointing out that folks are flogging the wrong dead horse. Of course, ever since the G.W. Bush era I've been known for coming to the defense of political leaders that I felt were being unfairly attacked. So, it was something of a natural assumption.

It's not that I approve of their behaviors, it's that I think we should stop inciting the sheeple with false notions when there are so many viable options. People attacked W for all sorts of things he wasn't responsible for. Then, the pendulum swung, because that's what pendulums do, and people attacked Obama with all kinds of mischaracterizations. Totally unnecessary, both of them had plenty of real faults to attack without having to make schidt up.

I came as close as I've ever come in the last election to simply not voting at all. In the end, faced with the two sock puppets, I chose the Orange Ass Clown over the Doddering Relic, mostly because I trusted the one's with their hand in his sock more than the ones with their hands up the other ones skirt.

At any rate, I'd just like to see everyone come back from their extreme emotional positions, study a little history, and deal with a little reality.

I fear we may be disappointed, though.

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding the Biden point, I think he's just a figurehead. I don't think he's going into the day thinking "alright, I want to do A. B. C. today, let's get started". I think his handlers are setting his policy and he's going "uhh yeah sure, what does inflation mean again? Nevermind, someone tie my tie for me, I forgot how". The handlers, and those handler's handlers, are the ones I feel are responsible for the mistakes that have been made. Biden might as well just be a marionette, and blaming him personally, as opposed to blaming the giant machine behind the policies that he implements feels too simple. That's just my opinion though, it's not a provable fact or anything like that.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^preach it brother^^^^

A little dirt never hurt
  • CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why we left the gold standard in 1971:

• VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll be ready when Canada invades 😂

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 9,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

The left would have him assassinated for being too conservative. That's what they do to Kennedys.

Trapped in the People's Communist Republic of Massachusetts.

@Bob_Luken said:

It's a look that says:

"Tha's right, Babe, after the prom we go to the Marriott for some chicken dinner, if you know what I mean?"

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you think we can get Lindsay, formerly known as @TheCigarChick to eliminate this thread before I say things that offend my friends. My own Mother is on the verge of disowning me, can we just stick to cigars? Thank you.

A little dirt never hurt