Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Political Discussions

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've said it before, a wall is a wall on both sides of the wall.

In recent history we have the famous "Berlin Wall", purportedly its builders were erecting it to keep out a flood of Westerners clamoring to gain entry into "The Worker's Paradise", in reality to keep those to its East from escaping the worker's paradise.

Walls, fences, those things don't even keep rabbits out, much less industrious and determined human beings. Surveillance technology being what it is, a physical wall is an illusion of security by comparison.

It's a strange conundrum, we provide interest free loans and tax incentives to persons who come from countries whose education results are better than ours, so that those people can work in the good jobs we're unwilling to train our youngsters for. We deny access to people willing to do the seasonal manual labor jobs that no one here wants to do.

WTF?

Anyone else suspect foul play at all levels of government? Are we giving our representatives stupidity injections at their inaugurations? How long can this house of cards stand? How many trillions of dollars do we have to go into debt before it all falls down?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few points from your favorite political commentator:

Aren't you impressed that I had nothing to do with this?

In 2006 gas prices were higher than they are now and that was with the Republican president. I don't remember anyone blaming George Bush for that. Gas prices aren't indicative of a presidency. You literally have to judge 85,000 points, and you picked one, a gas price. I'm putting premium gas in my new car and I'm still not paying what I paid in 2006 for 87 octane.

If there's an invasion of the Southern border, why don't 20 million Texans rise up and protect it? It's their border after all. My point here is that we use rhetorically emotional words to describe things now like invasion. Their words that the talking heads feed you guys to get you all rabbled up. Quit falling for the wolf's bait!

Our Southern borders not getting invaded. Ukraine is getting invaded. See the difference?

@Amos_Umwhat is the smartest person I've never met.

Donald Trump is a cuuum stain of a human being. He incited a riot that saw his constituents stabbing police officers with American flags. His fuckīng rhetoric has forced me to remove American flags from the things I display publicly like my car and my house because somehow the American flag is associated with the conservative whack job idiot fuckō movement, and I don't want to be targeted or vandalized by liberal tree hugging fuckø whack jobs in this very purple State and very blue community. I want my mother fùcking flag back, you "patriots" because it's not a goddàmn political statement.

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:
    A few points from your favorite political commentator:

Aren't you impressed that I had nothing to do with this?

In 2006 gas prices were higher than they are now and that was with the Republican president. I don't remember anyone blaming George Bush for that. Gas prices aren't indicative of a presidency. You literally have to judge 85,000 points, and you picked one, a gas price. I'm putting premium gas in my new car and I'm still not paying what I paid in 2006 for 87 octane.

If there's an invasion of the Southern border, why don't 20 million Texans rise up and protect it? It's their border after all. My point here is that we use rhetorically emotional words to describe things now like invasion. Their words that the talking heads feed you guys to get you all rabbled up. Quit falling for the wolf's bait!

Our Southern borders not getting invaded. Ukraine is getting invaded. See the difference?

@Amos_Umwhat is the smartest person I've never met.

Donald Trump is a cuuum stain of a human being. He incited a riot that saw his constituents stabbing police officers with American flags. His fuckīng rhetoric has forced me to remove American flags from the things I display publicly like my car and my house because somehow the American flag is associated with the conservative whack job idiot fuckō movement, and I don't want to be targeted or vandalized by liberal tree hugging fuckø whack jobs in this very purple State and very blue community. I want my mother fùcking flag back, you "patriots" because it's not a goddàmn political statement.

👏

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

OK it's not an invasion, just a 40 year high of persons illegally entering the country in violation of the law. On gas prices, it's a supply problem, partially from an artificially reduced supply. In both of these, the president has played a major role, to the detriment of country.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Walls, fences, those things don't even keep rabbits out, much less industrious and determined human beings. Surveillance technology being what it is, a physical wall is an illusion of security by comparison.

I think that surveillance, coupled with increased manpower to act on said surveillance, is the more effective long-term solution. A wall can also be a part of that solution, though. I know it will not stop illegal crossings by itself, but it can help to slow them.

Something else to think about are the laws and regulations surrounding this issue. Agents need to be able to act effectively, things like sanctuary cities go against that.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

@Hobbes86 said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

I think that surveillance, coupled with increased manpower to act on said surveillance, is the more effective long-term solution. A wall can also be a part of that solution, though. I know it will not stop illegal crossings by itself, but it can help to slow them.

Something else to think about are the laws and regulations surrounding this issue. Agents need to be able to act effectively, things like sanctuary cities go against that.

The "wall" was much more than a fence, it included lighting, cameras for surveillance. One guy in an office in town could watch miles of the wall directing agents to problem area. Sure, the cartels have plasma cutters and aren't afraid to use them but the wall slowed them down a bit.

Edit
    Disclaimer: I made a lot of money building that "wall".

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dirtdude said:

@Hobbes86 said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

The "wall" was much more than a fence, it included lighting, cameras for surveillance. One guy in an office in town could watch miles of the wall directing agents to problem area. Sure, the cartels have plasma cutters and aren't afraid to use them but the wall slowed them down a bit.

Edit

Can I ask a question of the expert without telling anyone my own opinion? (Not in an arguing mood today, maybe tomorrow though). Don't most illegals come in underground via tunnels? Or in locked trailers via truck? Say the border budget is $100 a year, and then a president raises it to $120 with the $20 being used to build a wall, wouldn't that $20 be more effective spent on things like infrared surveillance or various ground scanning equipment that's used to identify tunnels? Especially since right now, their budget is so limited? A wall just feels somewhat symbolic to me, but I'm nowhere close to an expert.

• Options

@CalvinAndHobo said:

@dirtdude said:

@Hobbes86 said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Edit

Can I ask a question of the expert without telling anyone my own opinion? (Not in an arguing mood today, maybe tomorrow though). Don't most illegals come in underground via tunnels? Or in locked trailers via truck? Say the border budget is $100 a year, and then a president raises it to $120 with the $20 being used to build a wall, wouldn't that $20 be more effective spent on things like infrared surveillance or various ground scanning equipment that's used to identify tunnels? Especially since right now, their budget is so limited? A wall just feels somewhat symbolic to me, but I'm nowhere close to an expert.

Oh Calvin, I can see you setting me up to blindside me later. I'm no expert, I did some dirt work on the wall. Along with the camera's there are sensors to detect underground activities. Right now they are just walking across the border, no need for stealth, they have been invited.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

That is a good question, @CalvinAndHobo.

Thank you for providing more information on the features that come along with the wall, @dirtdude. I didn't realize it had sensors to detect underground activity and cameras.

• Options

I'm just a blue collar working man in Arizona, I'm not a land baron in Iowa or a DOD contractor, I compete for work with these 2 million unvetted illegals that have been welcomed to our country by the current administration this year. I work with and love my Latino brothers that came to this country the correct way. They aren't all coming here, they will be in your neighborhood soon.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

@dirtdude said:
    I'm not a land baron in Iowa

I wish :D . The wall just felt like the republican version of using paper straws to me, but I don't know anything, figured you'd know more.

• Options

@CalvinAndHobo said:

@dirtdude said:
    I'm not a land baron in Iowa

I wish :D . The wall just felt like the republican version of using paper straws to me, but I don't know anything, figured you'd know more.

I know you aren't Calvin, just trying to get ahead of the "arguing mood"

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:
    @Hobbes86
    I was always told I will learn more by opening my ears then my mouth. This is why I ask the questions. Also. I read all..... all the threads. I don't drink but keep up with the beer thread as well... should I stop reading that thread too?

Camel toe of the day thread too…
    😂🤣

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NorCalR1 said:

@Vision said:
    @Hobbes86
    I was always told I will learn more by opening my ears then my mouth. This is why I ask the questions. Also. I read all..... all the threads. I don't drink but keep up with the beer thread as well... should I stop reading that thread too?

😂🤣

Almost all..... lol

• Options

@NorCalR1 said:
    😂🤣

In Pete's defense, there really isn't any reading in that thread anyway. :D

I only know this because I clicked on that thread to figure out if "camel toe" meant what I thought it did...honest! o:)

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:

@NorCalR1 said:
    😂🤣

In Pete's defense, there really isn't any reading in that thread anyway. :D

I only know this because I clicked on that thread to figure out if "camel toe" meant what I thought it did...honest! o:)

And did it? :p

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    And did it? :p

Unfortunately not, the thread has nothing to do with the physiology of camels. :(

• Options

Anyone have any international sources for their Ukraine-Russia news? Preferably firsthand and non American?

• Options
    edited February 2022

I heard an interesting remark on NPR the other day. I'm not sure if the fellow they were interviewing was Russian or Ukrainian, the radio was on in the background, but he remarked "When the Soviet Union dissolved, I assumed that NATO would disband. With no Soviet Union, why is there still a need for NATO?"

I have no answer, but it does make one wonder.

As for all the saber rattling, who knows what the truth is?

• Options

this website is unintentionally hysterical for anyone wanting a laugh. Good perspective I guess though, to see what Russia is telling people.

• Options

Didn't he take a knee for the terrorists?

I have been wondering, who is Ray Epps?

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

Got a little emotional reading this on Reddit. A bunch of scared and immature 18 year old's are about to die because of an assh0le with a Napoleon complex. It just sucks, good for that kid though.

• Options

• Options

Suddenly, the O'Jays song For the Love of Money comes to mind.

Not regarding the guy Calvin's posted about, just the criminals who put this into motion.

• Options

Feeling anger toward what is transpiring in the Ukraine is perectly justified. It is a needless invasion based around ego and money. It makes me sad to think of all the "little people" who will be irreversibly affected by what is going on.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

We are all in for a rough couple of years I think. It is time to buckle up and exercise caution.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

How stocks are doing in 2022
    DOW-11.08%
    NASDAQ-18.36%
    S&P-13.51%
    Updated: 9:48:50am ET