Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Political Discussions

Comments

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Caution never make anyone rich. Maybe a buying opportunity in 8-15 months once things begin to settle out, if your cash lasts that long.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on where you are on the curve, us geezers are focusing on preservation, not ascendancy.

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    Depends on where you are on the curve, us geezers are focusing on preservation, not ascendancy.

I am a 35 year old geezer, lol.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

In my family, the eldest son has a history of living the longest, so I may still have 25 years left, as an old geezer.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

The real time coverage of all of this is unbelievably quick, for anyone interested in that. This twitter list is a great place to start, it's just a bunch of journalists and OSINT accounts. It does have a decidedly Ukrainian slant of course, since many of these reporters are Ukranians who are still there. Some of the reporters are saying based on their sources that the Russian army is currently about 20KM outside of Kyiv, and their plan is to capture Kyiv and get Ukraine's politicians to sign over part of their country like East and West Germany used to be, so that Russia can finally have it's own warm water port directly under Russian control.
    https://twitter.com/i/lists/1383431779751657480?s=20

• Options

^ Nevermind the last part, looks like Russia has already had it's own warm water port in Crimea.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know of one certain path to failure on our part. Let Congress make military decisions. If that happens, no way we'll ever come out ahead.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

photo by Przemek Kleczkowski from a camera list I am on:

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joy Behar is worried that she might have to cancel her vacation to Italy because of the invasion of the Ukraine. Shame on all those people dying just to ruin her vacation.

• Options

I can't stand Joy Behar.

• Options

Oh gosh! I just thought of something. Are our transgendered troops going to be equally represented on the front lines?

I sure hope so, it's only fair.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Thinking about Peter's post above, Konstantin's remarks. My initial reaction is a somewhat knee-jerk "yeah, that's about right, we've been watching this unfold for a long time". The name sounds, Eastern, and I imagine that's precisely how I'd feel if I were Ukrainian right now. And, even on reflection that's pretty much how I feel.

However, there's an underlying, alternate possibility. Were I a Russian Politburo think tank kind of guy, I'd probably be happy to see that kind of message circulating in the West. It kind of propagates the "What's the use, we're doomed anyway" narrative. Takes the spirit out of the enemy, saps his will to fight as he tries to project how to survive the new reality in which he's not invincible, or privileged, or even well-fed and clothed.

It's been seen throughout history. How fast people will sell-out their neighbors and their beliefs in order to maintain a modicum of comfort in the new era. Only a few will be willing to bear arms, and fewer still will be willing to actually pull the trigger. My best hope, should worse come to worse, is an old saying: "Men pull the triggers but God guides the bullets". Probably not so, but comforting nonetheless.

I have a nephew in the Infantry currently heading east across the sea.

If we do this thing, I hope they don't half-ass it, like they usually do. What are the chances?

:(

• Options

Comfort and convenience have become gods to many of us Americans.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:
    Thinking about Peter's post above, Konstantin's remarks. My initial reaction is a somewhat knee-jerk "yeah, that's about right, we've been watching this unfold for a long time". The name sounds, Eastern, and I imagine that's precisely how I'd feel if I were Ukrainian right now. And, even on reflection that's pretty much how I feel.

A friend posted this video on facebook, and I said 'hey, I've seen that name somewhere...' Check this out. It's packed w/ some great big-picture ideas;

https://youtu.be/PN5Zmq9YTUs

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    TruDogTruDog Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appreciate the video @peter4jc

• Options

Being polite and putting this here instead of the meme thread.

• Options

I've been enjoying the videos of Ukranian farmers stealing Russian Tanks and rocket launchers. Always makes me chuckle when I see it.

Oh my… an Ukrainian villager again decided to bring back home an abandoned Russian military hardware but this time a 9K33 OSA surface-to-air missile system by tying it to his tractor. pic.twitter.com/9EeR1PA6V2

— CaucasusWarReport (@Caucasuswar) February 28, 2022
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2022

The AZ Attorney General has declared the border chaos an invasion clearing the way for the governor to restore order. Our current Gov won't act, maybe the next one will.
    Edit: spelling error corrected for Peter

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    Being polite and putting this here instead of the meme thread.

Occupy democrats it truly the ultimate kind of stupid.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    edited February 2022

Please be aware that BP, Shell, Valero and ExxonMobil have multiple stakes in the Russia oil fields, when purchasing fuel.

• Options

"BP to ‘Exit’ Stake in Russian Oil Giant Rosneft" : nyt

• Options
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2022/03/01/russia-ukraine-war-putin-news/

1:46 a.m.
    Pat Robertson says Putin was ‘compelled by God’ to invade Ukraine
    By Timothy Bella
    Televangelist Pat Robertson said Monday that Russian President Vladimir Putin was “compelled by God” in his decision to invade Ukraine, suggesting that Russia’s attacks are a precursor to an end-times battle in Israel.
    The Christian media mogul returned to “The 700 Club” a few months after he retired from the show he hosted for 55 years on the Christian Broadcasting Network. In his return, Robertson claimed that Putin was simply following God’s wishes when Russia invaded Ukraine — to fulfill a biblical prophecy.
    “I think you can say, well, Putin’s out of his mind. Yes, maybe so,” said Robertson, 91. “But at the same time, he’s being compelled by God. He went into the Ukraine, but that wasn’t his goal. His goal was to move against Israel, ultimately.”

• Options