Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The useless information thread

Comments

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any chance low tide will drain the swamp?

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

no way ^, it will only be 2' below average here in the Commonwealth.

The whole Back Bay area of Boston was swamp before they filled it in:

https://historyofmassachusetts.org/how-boston-lost-its-hills/

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    no way ^, it will only be 2' below average here in the Commonwealth.

The whole Back Bay area of Boston was swamp before they filled it in:

https://historyofmassachusetts.org/how-boston-lost-its-hills/

Do you ever do any beach combing afterwards Edward to see what has washed up?

• Options

not much in the way of treasure here, occasional fishing lure during bass and bluefish season, other than that, just tampon applicators, plastic bottles, and plastic little shovels during tourist season. About 100' out there are ancient cedar stumps that show after the occasional nor'easter.

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

"An asteroid the size of a delivery truck will pass Earth in one of the closest such encounters ever recorded – coming within a tenth of the distance of most communication satellites’ orbit.

Nasa said the newly discovered asteroid would pass 2,200 miles (3,600km) above the southern tip of South America at 7.27pm US eastern time on Thursday (12.27am GMT on Friday)."

That means that most communication satellites orbit at about 22,000 miles above the Earth. I always thought they were closer.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

What musical instrument's name becomes that of another musical instrument when its first letter is removed?

• Options

Flute

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023

@peter4jc said:
    "An asteroid the size of a delivery truck will pass Earth in one of the closest such encounters ever recorded – coming within a tenth of the distance of most communication satellites’ orbit.

Nasa said the newly discovered asteroid would pass 2,200 miles (3,600km) above the southern tip of South America at 7.27pm US eastern time on Thursday (12.27am GMT on Friday)."

That means that most communication satellites orbit at about 22,000 miles above the Earth. I always thought they were closer.

Wow, right through the inner Van Allen radiation belt.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Nice chart, Chris.

• Options

Hey, don't lol ^ Each of those discs hold 1.44 k of data!

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I'd dig deep enough, I probably still have a set. I've got a laptop still running 95.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭

Black Elk Peak, in the Black Hills of South Dakota, is the highest point between the Rockies and the Pyrenees in France.

• Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CharlieHeis , have you been to the top of Black Elk Peak? My wife and I made the hike in May of 2021. It was awesome.

• Options

Everyone dies. Not everyone sees the view from the highest point between the Rockies and the Pyrenees. The last mile is a pretty tough climb though.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

In Australia, the school year ends in December.
    Somewhere down a random internet rabbit hole, I learned that fact, and they go to school all year, four semesters with 2 week breaks in between, then a six-week break before the new school year starts.
    Edit: I was aware that their seasons are opposite from ours, but my actual curiosity is how their school terms and breaks are broken up throughout the year. I like their schedule.

Post edited by Bob_Luken on
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like a miss use of school funding in the USA to let the buildings stay unused for three months.

• Options

@First_Warrior, if you look at the total number of days off from Bob_Luken's image, it still amounts to three months off. Speaking from the perspective of school maintenance and facilities upgrades, many building and construction projects are completed during the summer months that cannot be done while school is in session, because they would disrupt classes to a degree unfavorable to a good learning environment.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I lived in California, in junior high, we had the students broken into four or five groups. One group was always on vacation while the other groups were in session. The building was never empty. Good way to handle overcrowding, too.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭✭

Track system ^. Good in theory, but proven ineffective for the learning environment & teacher efficacy.
    Costs more than traditional system and completely wipes out savings from eliminating overcrowding. Then there's the issue of daycare and home life, which is why most districts canned their track systems.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

back in the height of the baby boom, about 1960, our high school went to 'two platoon', one set of students in the morning and one set in the afternoon.

• Options

There is a side of the moon that never faces the Earth. But there is no permanent dark side of the moon.

• Options

Pink Floyd claims it’s all dark

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    the latter, the wonders of science.

Been there

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    edited April 2023

Celerity, not used very often, except in word puzzles.
    Edit...if you do use it almost no one will know what you mean.
    So, don't use it, it's a useless word and should be banned in Florida schools.

• Options

I figured I'd put this here as opposed to starting a new thread. We are heading to Charleston, SC for weeklong vacation (first time there) at the end of April, and I'm looking for suggestions on things to do, places to eat, etc. We like history, nature, walking tours (ghost tours?), and good pubs, but not beaches or wild nightlife stuff. Let me know what you recommend.