Home Non Cigar Related
Options

I Love, or at least have a strong prediliction to:

Comments

• Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    If anyone is interested I can provide an email address to a fellow in the States who's father owns a coffee plantation in Nicaragua. Carlos and his sister import the beans and sell them online and at places like E-bay. The beans are a very good price, can be considered Fair Trade as they are acting as the middle man themselves and these beans make a terrific cup of coffee. Nothing like pairing a cup of this stuff with a good Nic. cigar and enjoying the sun.
    Your not helping.
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    I looooooooove coffee. Need some new sources for single region stuff for my column
    Check this out, they're all good but you have to try a bag:
    http://silverbridgecoffee.com/single-origin-c-30.html
    http://silverbridgecoffee.com/cafe-femenino-coffee-c-40.html

We're finishing off the last beans from a bag of Dominican Republic right now...
    Never had a bad batch from them.
    Will do man, in in love with gautamalen beans right now, dark or medium
    come on guys. This forum already has me hooked on great cigars, craft beers, great liquor, and awesome food. Do you really have to start with the coffee...guess it's time for a coffee grinder. Damn it!!!
    French Press Drew...only way to fly on a caffeine high..
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    I looooooooove coffee. Need some new sources for single region stuff for my column

We're finishing off the last beans from a bag of Dominican Republic right now...
    come on guys. This forum already has me hooked on great cigars, craft beers, great liquor, and awesome food. Do you really have to start with the coffee...guess it's time for a coffee grinder. Damn it!!!
    Offically part of the club...We have a French Press. Not sure how to use it, but we have one. Better check with the wife on this. I thinks she been hoarding wonderful coffee and not telling me.
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    ddubridge:
    Bigshizza:
    ddubridge:
    catfishbluezz:
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:

Offically part of the club...We have a French Press. Not sure how to use it, but we have one. Better check with the wife on this. I thinks she been hoarding wonderful coffee and not telling me.

I like french press coffee a lot. I don't yet have one of my own...and I'm too groggy most mornings and too tired most evenings to want to grind my own coffee. Call me lazy, but I like my Keurig well enough. It's frustrating that they always seem to discontinue my favorite coffee every time I find one.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:

Hmm, I don't see any Guatemalan beans listed on their site right now .... but I'm pretty sure we've had Guatemalan beans from them before.

You might try to send an e-mail, if she has them I'm sure she'll hook you up ---- the lady who runs it's name is Lorraine --- she's great; very helpful.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:

Hmm, I don't see any Guatemalan beans listed on their site right now .... but I'm pretty sure we've had Guatemalan beans from them before.

You might try to send an e-mail, if she has them I'm sure she'll hook you up ---- the lady who runs it's name is Lorraine --- she's great; very helpful.
    If that's the place you got me a bag, it's damn good shizz...
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:

If that's the place you got me a bag, it's damn good shizz...
    yep.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i love my subaru. i loved my old subaru. i love my new one.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    +1
    (my 09 Legacy is the bee's knees)

What did you have before?
    What's your new one??? .... Congrats on the new car too!

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    kuzi16:
    Just bought the wife an Impreza Sport. Great little car.
  • Options
    jgibv:
    kuzi16:
    +1

beatnic:
    old Subaru was a 2005 Impreza. i loved that car and i know ill miss it. the new car is a 2013 XV Crosstrek.
    both were/are a manual transmission
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    jgibv:
    kuzi16:
    +1

beatnic:
    old Subaru was a 2005 Impreza. i loved that car and i know ill miss it. the new car is a 2013 XV Crosstrek.
    both were/are a manual transmission
    Very nice !!

The Subaru XV is a "modified" Impreza, yes? It replaced the outback?
    Either way, very cool --- good pick, Kuzi!

• Options
    jgibv:
    The Subaru XV is a "modified" Impreza, yes? It replaced the outback?
    Either way, very cool --- good pick, Kuzi!
    pretty much. a few more toys, stands taller, more clearance, larger wheels. its pretty sweet. im not sure it replaces anything its larger than the impreza smaller than the forester. better MPG than the old subaru. feels about the same power. i havent really pushed it too much yet though. upgrade on the speakers and leather in there soon.
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I'm getting a full refund from United for my botched trip 3 weeks ago. Woohoo!
  • Options
    pelirrojo:
    I'm getting a full refund from United for my botched trip 3 weeks ago. Woohoo!
    Awesome news Gordon!
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Derby Day!!!!!!! Also... big hats lol.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Toonami on Saturday nights. Huge fan of the block, and I always stay up til at least 4am watching it. Wish they had new stuff though; I've seen IGPX before
  • Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Silence... or just the ability to listen to something at a normal level. Not much of that with all the kids. Just getting some and realizing how much I missed it.
  • Options
    macs-smokes:
    Silence... or just the ability to listen to something at a normal level. Not much of that with all the kids. Just getting some and realizing how much I missed it.
    Silence is golden, but silver is loquacious :)
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    ...making my students "enjoy" jazz in my classroom all day. Friday was Miles Davis on repeat. I'll beat some culture into them one way or another. Lol.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    ...making my students "enjoy" jazz in my classroom all day. Friday was Miles Davis on repeat. I'll beat some culture into them one way or another. Lol.
    Which Miles? "Kind of Blue"? or various? Go Cannonball Adderley "Something Else" or Bill Evans Trio "Live at the Village Vanguard"
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    SleevePlz:
    Which Miles? "Kind of Blue"? or various? Go Cannonball Adderley "Something Else" or Bill Evans Trio "Live at the Village Vanguard"
    I played Kind of Blue for each class so they could hear what is often considered the greatest jazz album. Throughout the week, I played all kinds of stuff. I'm a big fan of jazz guitar and love Kenny Burrell. I do love the ones you listed as well along with Coltrane, Hancock, Parker, etc etc. I could go on, but you get the picture. I really enjoy some jazz, especially with a cigar!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    Bigshizza:
    SleevePlz:
    I played Kind of Blue for each class so they could hear what is often considered the greatest jazz album. Throughout the week, I played all kinds of stuff. I'm a big fan of jazz guitar and love Kenny Burrell. I do love the ones you listed as well along with Coltrane, Hancock, Parker, etc etc. I could go on, but you get the picture. I really enjoy some jazz, especially with a cigar!
    I also have a strong predilection in this direction. Jazz. And a cigar. Smooth and mellow.

Jazz note, when I was in HS, I got to play a little bit with J.J. Johnson. For a trombonist, this was a dream come true, even if it wasn't much more than warm ups.

Non-jazz note, when I was in HS, I had the opportunity to perform under the direction of Erich Kunzel. The late maestro showed up to rehearsal an hour late and drunk, but he could still get the job done.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    Lurking on survivalist forums.

Most of the posts are bat *** crazy (end of the world type stuff) - for some reason, a LOT of these guys love to talk about their own Red Dawn fantasies, fighting armed gangs and the police armed only with their AR15s and their buddies holed up in the wilderness, etc.

That said, every now and then something interesting pops up; picked up the SAS Surival Guide as a tip - neat little book; about 3"x3", waterproof paper, and it's got a ton of info about edible and poisonous flora and fauna in all the different regions of the US. Wound up tossing it in with my camping gear, might come in handy some day. Also picked up some nice mod tips for my AK, like swapping out the nylon sling for a paracord sling - got it online, it feels great as a sling, it was woven nice and wide, and has about a hundred feet of 550 lbs tested paracord line, so I've got some rope if I ever need it in a pinch. Also figured I'd get to swapping out the fixed warsaw stock for a telescoping AR-15 type stock (Magpul CTR) - that'll be nice once it gets here; more cushioning and adjustability will make it more comfortable

Good info to be had,, especially from the saner survivalists out there, like camping tips and whatnot, if you can stomach the gung-ho gun nuts and hardcore nutjobs.
  • Options
    Brookies

My wife and daughter decided to experiment last night and try making these little bite sized combinations of deliciousness. Part brownie, part cookie. There's a platter-full of sugary heaven sitting in my kitchen right now.

• Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    Martel:
    Brookies

My wife and daughter decided to experiment last night and try making these little bite sized combinations of deliciousness. Part brownie, part cookie. There's a platter-full of sugary heaven sitting in my kitchen right now.
    I thought you meant Brook Trout, which I also love!
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    That its my 3rd anniversary with my now fiance and I thought it was like our 5th. Feels so much longer lol.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    That its my 3rd anniversary with my now fiance and I thought it was like our 5th. Feels so much longer lol.
    i feel ya
  • Options
    Chobani Yogurt. Mango is my favorite, and their new "Flipz" that have a compartment of add-ins has two awesome flavors, key lime and a chocolate coconut something or other.

• Options
    (I don't consider myself a "tree-hugger"...)

But I love trees .....
    Whether it's in the backyard or at a state park there's just something peaceful about being near tall, old, mature trees.
    It's amazing how many animals will be attracted to one tree and call it "home".

It's always a refreshing experience to visit the "wilderness" that can be found at a park, with 1000s of acres of dense woods, few paths, no roads, few humans, no machinery, and no buzz from the modern world ....

But it still amazes me at how I can get a "slice" of this in my own backyard too ....
    Turn off the radio & TV, leave the cell phone and bright LCD screens inside, and set a chair in the backyard early in the morning, long before the neighborhood wakes up.
    Watch the black sky slowly light up, the stars fade away as the sun slowly climbs above the horizon.
    No roaring 2-stroke lawn mower engines, no children crying or laughing, no dogs barking, no hum from a/c units or car engines yet ..... just quiet.

It's astounding everything you can hear in that early-morning silence.
    A bright red cardinal sings his morning serenade from a tree, high above the street, 3 blocks away ....
    A woodpecker rhythmically taps on an old oak tree, searching for "breakfast".... A frog lets out a loud croak from the pond 1/4 mile away, and others return it's call .....
    Leaves rustle high above my head as a squirrel jumps from branch to branch searching for acorns .....
    A bumble bee buzzes past my ear on it's way to suck up the sweet nectar from the morning dew on the purple petunias....
    An owl lets out a few last hoots, saying goodbye to the night ....
    The stream at the park babbles and there's a faint splish-splash and twigs snapping as 3 deer search for an early morning snack ....

I love waking up early on a Saturday or Sunday morning before the neighborhood wakes up, sitting outside with a cigar and coffee and enjoying the peace and quiet before noise fills the air ....
    That's the way to start your day.