Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Post Every Boring Aspect Of Your Mundane Life Thread

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get a room :D
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    SmoothsticksSmoothsticks Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting up and ready for work.
  • Options
    Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Getting up and ready for work.
    That sucks!!!!! I used to hate shift work.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Furnace is acting up.  January in the frozen freakin north is not the best time for that to happen.
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    Your furnaces relays were sending Morse code!
  • Options
    Yeah....    they were stuck in the early 20th century..    PDQ......PDQ.....PDQ...
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Went to the lounge tonight. On my last visit my stick (Undercrown sungrown) had some pretty bad wrapper issues so they insisted that tonight's cigar was on the house. I thought that was very considerate of them.
    Got my DD order of those today, had to try one right off the truck.  Guess what?  Wrapper issues.  Cap split when I cut it, I'll take the blame for that, wrapper started cracking after about 1/2 inch of uneven burn.  Hopefully a month or two in the humidor will help.  
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Came home this morning after a call out to a power outage.  It was only -30 and the house was down into the 50's inside.  Woodstoves are magical things!
  • Options
    Descaling my own tankless on-demand water heater.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This morning pondering this, from https://www.friesian.com/#ross​:

Second, the nihilism, relativism, pseudo-science, and frequent political authoritarianism and dogmatism of the originally Continental alternatives:  Existentialism, Marxism, deconstruction, and now "post-modernism." Deconstruction, Bloom said, "is the last, predictable, stage in the suppression of reason and the denial of the possibility of truth in the name of philosophy." The truly last stage, however, is the "post-modern" combination of Anglo-American sterility with the higher irrationalism of a politicized deconstruction, the kind of thing we find in Richard Rorty's denial of philosophical, moral, or even scientific knowledge but affirmation of trendy leftist "solidarity." This combination represents, as Bloom and how Emmanuel Faye have perceived, the appalling, terrifying, and tragically ironic adaptation of the philosophical foundations of Fascism, from people like Friedrich Nietzsche and Martin Heidegger, who both despised mere liberalism, to supposedly "progressive" political causes, replacing the Classical Liberal principles, now widely scorned by both left and right, of the Enlightenment foundations of liberal, free market democracy. Hence, one need hardly ask why students and scholars are more frequently directed to study the authoritarian Thomas Hobbes, a defender of political absolutism and judicial positivism, rather than the libertarian John Locke, one of the inspirations of the American Revolution, as he had been the apologist of the English Glorious Revolution (1688). Indeed, Locke is so widely ignored, that leftists often think of Hobbes as some kind of representative of liberalism and criticize the individualism of his "state of nature"! -- even while breathing deep of his statism and authoritarianism [note]. Western academics and intellectuals have truly and heartily taken up the cause of totalitarianism, fallen from the dead hands of fascism and communism, with the same goals, through the same methods, namely, laws about speech, thought crimes, disarmament of civilians, political control of private property and private relationships, denigration of religion, political propaganda through state schools, the militarization of police, the destruction of the rule of law through discretionary powers given to executive officials and bureaucrats, the subversion of trial by jury, etc. etc. There are also new twists, like the distortion of civil rights law into a means of abolishing civil rights. Then, when we see anarchists dressed in the black of Italian Fascisti, and masked like Klansmen, vandalizing property and assaulting academic speakers, calling themselves "anti-fascists," the bitter irony is complete.
    Although Anglo-American philosophy tended to worship at the feet of science, the drift of academia to the left has led to characteristically totalitarian political attacks on science itself -- this despite the leftist program to use "climate science" to impose a Sovietized command economy on energy and the tactic to smear climate skeptics, i.e. "Deniers," through associaton with Creationism or Neo-**** Holocaust denial. None of that has stopped the "post-modern" move, which may even be called the "post-Copernican" move, where the "de-centering" of meaning and objectivity, returns the "marginalized" literary critic or theorist to the Ptolemaic center of the universe, whence modern science, now demystified and unmasked as an instrument of white, male, homophobic, Euro-centric oppression, had proudly thought to have dislodged an arrogant humanity. This has given new meaning to the words "obscurantism" and "sophistry." Where the arrogance (let alone the intolerance and "extremism") has settled now is all too plain to those familiar with American academic life, where many American colleges have "speech codes" or equivalent regulations (not to mention radical mobs, often masked) that openly violate the First Amendment and their contractual obligations for academic freedom. Radical professors, and often whole schools of "education," are literally teaching students to hate their very own civil rights, let alone respect those of others.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^^. I believe he’s decided to enter politics.....  🤪
  • Options
    BadSneakersBadSneakers Posts: 156 ✭✭✭✭
    Woke up to discover my furnace stopped working overnight. Did all the usual troubleshooting tricks, no luck. Going to keep trying so I don't end up paying the high call out fee just to realize it was something really basic that I should have figured out  myself. *shakes fist at furnace/me* 
    It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating. - Jack Handey 
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Woke up to discover my furnace stopped working overnight. Did all the usual troubleshooting tricks, no luck. Going to keep trying so I don't end up paying the high call out fee just to realize it was something really basic that I should have figured out  myself. *shakes fist at furnace/me* 
    Please describe symptoms.  Fans running? Burners starting then stopping, Lights on control board.
    Is there a switch to turn off the electrical supply to the furnace?
    What make and model is the furnace?

Good luck

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    @silvermouse very interesting read, thanks. 

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Forced air oil furnace. Checked circuit breakers and switches for all HVAC related stuff - all good. At least a quarter tank of oil so good there. Wayne burner circa mid-70s. Tried the red button - burner started up then stopped after about 45 seconds-minute. Tried again in a few minutes - same. Leaning towards blower issue. Blower never started so I'm assuming the burner's temp protection is kicking in due to lack of forced air and shutting itself down. Thanks.
    It's funny that pirates were always going around searching for treasure, and they never realized that the real treasure was the fond memories they were creating. - Jack Handey 
  • Options
    Is there a flame sensor? might be a 1" rod the 3/32" thick very near the flame. If there is, it might need to be cleaned with a bit of steal wool. Careful, it's delicate.

• Options
    btw I know nothing about oil furnaces..

• Options
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to poke around and see if I can figure something out without making things worse. lol Thanks again.
  • Options
    missed the failsafe cutoff on my coffee roaster, not a good thing. Got to let it cool then try to complete the roast ending up with 'baked' beans. Yakster would know.
  • Options
    Yeah, I've had breakers trip in the middle of coffee roasting before, baked=flat, lacking flavor, not good.
  • Options
    I've also pooched roasts through no fault of my equipment.
  • Options
    @silvermouse very interesting read, thanks. 
    @silvermouse , I'm curious, when referencing Bloom are we talking Alan Bloom; "The Closing of The American Mind", or Howard Bloom; "The Lucifer Principle"?  It's been awhile since I read either, and it could be from either, although I'm leaning more towards Alan.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    @Amos_Umwhat that is a quote from Allan Bloom.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    @Amos_Umwhat that is a quote from Allan Bloom.
    That was my first impression, the last part about colleges limiting speech sounded something like Howard, though, so then I had to ask.

When I first read Alan Bloom, back in the late 80's I think, I rejected his contention that Americans would become more rigid and less tolerant all in the name of tolerance.  That seemed impossible.  Then.  Not anymore.  Now he sounds like a prophet.

I guess I better knock it off before DZR resurrects Threadjacker3000 and Chris tells us to get a room.
    Post edited by Amos_Umwhat on

• Options
    Hard boiling eggs, made a single deviled egg with a chopped up habanero stuffed olive with lunch.
  • Options
    After a week of good intentions I finally trimmed my fingernails, much to the amusement of my long-suffering wife.