Home Non Cigar Related

Coffee

Comments

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Somebody be kind to Davis and suggest he pairs his press pot with good burr grinder. And find that video that explains the stop/skim/wait technique.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • BKDogBKDog Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

My old man drank Folgers brown water the majority of his life until he died. He never knew the awesome reality of fine coffee from a French press. It's just the way some people are. To his credit, he did live in a time when carrying a giant revolver on his hip in public didn't garner stares and gasps, and he did travel to nearly every State in our beautiful country. He just_ really should have_ tried a great coffee.

"Love is a dung heap, Betty and I am but a c.o.c.k. that climbs upon it to crow."
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 27,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed a pour-over of sweet home-roasted coffee from Ethiopia with home made Olallieberry pie a la mode while watching Red Dragon with the family.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

probably Peru beans, :)
    I wonder how they stuffed the beans.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    probably Peru beans, :)
    I wonder how they stuffed the beans.

Had to drill a hole, first.

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

I enjoyed a nice cup of Sumatra Gunung Tujuh that I roasted on Saturday. Well, more than one cup. Turned out pretty good.

I'm always puzzled when I hear someone likes to pair a cigar with espresso. It takes me like 30 seconds to drink espresso and usually over an hour to smoke a cigar, how does that work?

Drink it like you a European.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hot and I'm lazy. So cold brewed everything for the next couple months.

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://www.porlexgrinders.com/products/porlex-tall-grinder-ii?variant=31497372008505 - This is the manual grinder I have at my office and it is fantastic.

https://baratza.com/grinder/encore/ - this is my electric one I have at home. Also fantastic!

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    I'm in contact w/ Baratza to become a reseller; the application is submitted, if/when they accept, I'll be able to sell their grinders and drop-ship them.

I'll take one

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    I'm in contact w/ Baratza to become a reseller; the application is submitted, if/when they accept, I'll be able to sell their grinders and drop-ship them.

Does that include parts, or just whole units?

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...

@Wylaff said:

@peter4jc said:

Does that include parts, or just whole units?

Just new units and new accessory parts, like hoppers and brushes etc. They want warranty stuff sent back to them too, not to me. Parts for fix-it-yourself situations are on your own.

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh the part I forgot to mention is the manual grinder I have actually is the right sized to fit in an aeropress for transport so it helps it pack up nicely.

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White

(Moved to coffee thread)

@peter4jc said:

@silvermouse said:
    Morning all.
    Another corojo smoke, Warped Guardian of the Farm Campeon, been in the coolidor for a few years. Nice. Paired with coffee, a Kenya peaberry/Peru blend. Looks to be a beautiful day.

Those two coffees blend well, IMHO. I used to do a "What's Per-Ken?" blend that was a hit.

My SIL sent me a bag of Ethiopia coffee for my birthday, used the last of it today along with some Colombia Ibague Rio Combeima I'd roasted up and had in the freezer. I call this a tails blend because it's a blend of the coffee you just ran out of and whatever you pull out next and you'll probably never have that blend again. It was good. Wish it were paired with a cigar.

That's my 'Serendipity Blend'. Sometimes they're great, which is annoying because you know you can't replicate it.

edited August 2020

I let the magic smoke out of my personal laptop so I'm either going to roast manually or borrow / resurrect another laptop because I'm running short on coffee. Part of me wants to roast manually, but I've only done roasts with this wizbang Aillio Bullet roaster using a computer to this point, watching the realtime charts and trends to inform my changes to heat, airflow, and drum speed.

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

time to fly seat-of-the-pants? I have been having good luck recently by going manual on my Behmor. No coffee is a terrible thing.

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    time to fly seat-of-the-pants? I have been having good luck recently by going manual on my Behmor. No coffee is a terrible thing.

Years ago I roasted in a cast iron skillet, is that manual enough. Haven't had a good expresso since I left Italy, can't drink the stuff most places make.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

Just finished roasting two batches of coffee, from Colombia and Ethiopia, without computer assistance. It was more fun and engaging than I figured and the coffee smells good. Looking forward to trying it out later.

Luckily, the roaster displays elapsed time, temp, and ROR on the front panel so I'm only really missing the real-time graph of the roast profile.

• CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best coffee I ever had came from here: https://camanoislandcoffee.com/

I'm particularly fond of the Brazil dark roast. It was mind blowing for me.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Forgive me if this question has been asked before, but are there certain coffee's that do not go well with cigars? I have been having a bad run of morning cigars this week. Been smoking them with my Calfkiller Coffee I bought on while on vacation. I was getting a bad finish and I kept tossing cigars and lighting another with no good results, then I tried I drinking water next and that was better. Then stopped the coffee mid-cup. Next I used some scotch as a mouthwash. (As a mouthwash only because I have to go to work in a few hours.) And it worked well to get rid of that ashtray aftertaste.