Home Non Cigar Related

Gardens

Comments

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 20,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice garden trug, perfect size! I don't see any nails...held together with magic?

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    Nice garden trug, perfect size! I don't see any nails...held together with magic?

Just woven while wet so it gets tight when it drys.

• TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over a year of growing and thats all I get ONE bloom :D

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.

congrats, the only roses I can grow art the wild ones.

“If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly our whole life would change. ”

― Buddha

• CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

I've got a question for the gardening types. Are there any kind of trees that you can just plant in the ground, and then 30 years later you have trees? or do they all require some kind of maintenance? Also, do deer destroy young trees? I live in deer New York City.

What kind of trees do you want?
    some ornamental and shade or screening trees that deer don't particularly like:
    https://gardenerspath.com/plants/landscape-trees/for-your-yard-that-are-deer-tolerant/
    I didn't see arbor vitae on the list but it will form a thick and tall evergreen hedge; it is common around here for screening homes from road noise.

If you want fruit trees the deer will almost certainly nibble the tender new growth so you will need to screen them in for a few years and use deer repellent until they grow out of reach. I have also had problem with voles girdling the bark in the winter when there is deep snow cover and food is less plentiful.

@silvermouse said:
    What kind of trees do you want?
    some ornamental and shade or screening trees that deer don't particularly like:
    https://gardenerspath.com/plants/landscape-trees/for-your-yard-that-are-deer-tolerant/
    I didn't see arbor vitae on the list but it will form a thick and tall evergreen hedge; it is common around here for screening homes from road noise.

If you want fruit trees the deer will almost certainly nibble the tender new growth so you will need to screen them in for a few years and use deer repellent until they grow out of reach. I have also had problem with voles girdling the bark in the winter when there is deep snow cover and food is less plentiful.

Looking at hardwood. I'm mostly looking for something to do with the land, but a wind screen would be a nice benefit. Ideally, I'd like to be able to sell 1/20th of them every year or 1/30th (depending on how fast they grow) while planting new ones to replaces the sold ones. I was mostly just curious if there were trees that required absolutely no maintenance. If there are, and I have about 1.5 acres of tillable land, it seems like a waste to not do that since it'd be free money. I haven't actually looked into anything though, since I doubt it's that simple.

edited October 2021

Might look into black walnut, as a side benefit you will get the tasty nuts. Their roots put out something that inhibits other vegetation and the wood might be salable for uses other than just fire wood. I have one behind my house that I planted from seed 20 years ago and the trunk is about 1' in diameter now.

@silvermouse said:
    Might look into black walnut, as a side benefit you will get the tasty nuts. Their roots put out something that inhibits other vegetation and the wood might be salable for uses other than just fire wood. I have one behind my house that I planted from seed 20 years ago and the trunk is about 1' in diameter now.

Did you have to...You know...Do yardwork related to it (shudders).

lol, reminds me of the beatnik character, Maynard G. Krebs, from the Dobie Gillis Show back in the early 60's: "Work!????"
    https://beatnikhiway.com › tag › maynard-g-krebs
    Maynard G. Krebs began as a stereotypical beatnik with a goatee who used hip slang. He was unkempt in appearance and avoided anything that even slightly resembled work. To Maynard, work was a four-letter work that provoked a fearful reaction - "Work!" In comparison to the well-groomed Dobie Gillis, Maynard most definitely stood out.

If you are tilling the soil first you should plant some type of cover crop like vetch or one that winterkills like winter rye "nature abhors bare soil". Hire someone with a Gravely to mow down everything that isn't a tree seedling once a year.
    http://www.uvm.edu/vtvegandberry/factsheets/winterrye.html

Oh no, I won't be tilling anything. I was just going to dig a bunch of holes if there's such a thing as a no maintenance tree. I just hate yardwork, partly because I suck at it and can't get things to grow.

my mistake, you said 'tillable land' and I jumped to that conclusion. Some folks have cut-your own Christmas tree plantations....

I thought of that, but I'd have no customers, my town has a population of 117.

• IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:

What town?

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

Bernard, IA

• d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021

@CalvinAndHobo said:

If you grow it they will come... or
    Walnuts are .20 cent a pound, after hulling this year

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the material used in those cool raised beds?

@Yakster said:
    Putting in some raised bed gardens in back.

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're King Bird raised beds, two of the larger ones will have extensions added for bird netting. China's finest galvanized steel panels.

The two small square planters are from Outsunny and had cling plastic that was almost impossible to remove from the panels and went together with several hundred (or so it seemed) bolts and nuts instead of using the U-channel that the King Bird planters have, they were a pain in the arse.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

Any of you guys know anything about tractors/sit down lawn mowers? Debating buying something heavily used like this, or just ponying up the $2000-$3000 for a new one. I know that cars from the 70's are much easier to fix yourself since you can access everything without taking the car halfway apart. I have to assume tractors would be the same? Then again, there's a reason the previous owner sold this... Decisions decisions...

• PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t know **** about any of that, but I can guarantee I can get that running and keep it running. Offer 350

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    edited February 2022

be sure to check for extensive rust underneath the blade guard.
    edit: should read 'compromising rust'

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CalvinAndHobo said:
    Any of you guys know anything about tractors/sit down lawn mowers? Debating buying something heavily used like this, or just ponying up the $2000-$3000 for a new one. I know that cars from the 70's are much easier to fix yourself since you can access everything without taking the car halfway apart. I have to assume tractors would be the same? Then again, there's a reason the previous owner sold this... Decisions decisions...

Get some "pit coolers" on that thang!!

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?