Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Political Discussions

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

If we could just get him to keep his mouth shut.....

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Usaf06 said:
    A few things after reading some of the posts.
    Frank, you mentioned states rights and New Yorks concealed carry law being over turned. You said that's not in the constitution but it clearly is. The right to bear arms shall not be infringed. I believe in constitutional carry for all citizens just like the constitution says. So your comparison was off.
    2nd, I am pro choice and I believe that the unborn baby is a life. Mainly, idgaf about people's personal choices.
    3rd, I am also an atheist but I believe that religion helps a lot of people in a positive way so I support them in their beliefs.
    4th, I wouldn't vote for or against a candidate for 2 or 3, but I would for the 1st.
    I believe in our constitution and I believe in states rights.

Man we are digging up some old stuff lol...

Nine constitutional lawyers, five of whom are conservative, judged NYs law to be constitutional, your expert opinion notwithstanding. My only commentary is that CONCEALED carry isn't necessarily constitutional carry. Constitution doesn't say anything about having a .357 under a trenchcoat, IIRC.

I for one disagree with you, only because I don't trust the judgement of random joe in a crowd, but that's a personal opinion that probably doesn't jive with the constitution, so I concede the point on constitutional carry.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Who the **** wears trench coats?

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

killers

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    killers

Are y’all wondering what I’m wondering?

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:

@silvermouse said:
    killers

Are y’all wondering what I’m wondering?

Yes!!!

Would that look good on me......🤔

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

AZ REVOTE

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

My only commentary is that CONCEALED carry isn't necessarily constitutional carry.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    edited December 2022

Concealed carry, open carry, what's the difference? Does the 2nd Amendment really need to spell out the most micromanage instructions? Carry how you want to carry, what you want to carry, wherever you want to carry. Any restrictions are an INFRINGEMENT.

• Options

Everyone should be able to carry their muskets concealed. This I agree

• Options

@Bob_Luken said:
    Yeah! And our first amendment only protects your right to share your thoughts on paper with a quill pen. This internet thing was never part of the deal man!

I love it!

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,162 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a vision. It was HW and MTG. H was rubbing MTG's head and was asked about it. He answered " just rubbing this head for good luck". After my vision I remembered my post on how politics drive people crazy.

• Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

I don't want to put words in your mouth, do you want to more clearly define what you'd like to see happen regarding the second amendment/gun control? What fixes you have in mind? I promise I won't respond with insults.

• Options

@CalvinAndHobo said:

@Vision said:

I don't want to put words in your mouth, do you want to more clearly define what you'd like to see happen regarding the second amendment/gun control? What fixes you have in mind? I promise I won't respond with insults.

I didn't propose any fixes nor hinted at any at all. I promise I won't respond with insults but who should open guns, how many and what restrictions should we have on concealment? Just making sure I don't put words in your mouth.

• Options
    edited December 2022

Gun happy people get real touchy when anyone even jokes about guns and/or gun control. I think you should own 100s .... 1000s if you want @CalvinAndHobo . You guys always feel affronted when a question is even raised, heck..... hinted at. Guns are awesome (I'm being serious). I say fvck it and let everyone own them..... zero restrictions, none. Burn it down. What's the worst that could happen???

Edit for word replacement
    Enron = everyone

• Options
    edited December 2022

@Bob_Luken said:
    Yeah! And our first amendment only protects your right to share your thoughts on paper with a quill pen. This internet thing was never part of the deal man!

With that logic woman and minorities shouldn't vote........ asking for a friend...?

Edit Added (?)

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:
    Gun happy people get real touchy when anyone even jokes about guns and/or gun control. I think you should own 100s .... 1000s if you want @CalvinAndHobo . You guys always feel affronted when a question is even raised, heck..... hinted at. Guns are awesome (I'm being serious). I say fvck it and let everyone own them..... zero restrictions, none. Burn it down. What's the worst that could happen???

Enron = everyone

I think folks get touchy about it because it seems to be under constant threat. That, and without the Second Amendment we are much less capable of defending the rest of our rights.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

@Vision said:

@Bob_Luken said:

With that logic woman and minorities shouldn't vote........ asking for a friend...?

Edit Added (?)

My WTF on this, because I genuinely don't know what you are on about.

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:

@Vision said:

Enron = everyone

I think folks get touchy about it because it seems to be under constant threat. That, and without the Second Amendment we are much less capable of defending the rest of our rights.

Bro.... No one is coming for your guns. Do you have any proof your guns are being confiscated?

• Options

@Vision said:
    Bro.... No one is coming for your guns. Do you have any proof your guns are being confiscated?

Where would the wisdom be in waiting until they are being confiscated before defending the Second Amendment?

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

@Hobbes86 said:

@Vision said:

Enron = everyone

Yeah! Just because the politicians are saying the exact same arguments they used in Canada, France, Germany, Australia, England, Ireland etc., that doesn't mean that they plan to do the same thing here.

Remember, "It can't happen here".

Just like pre WWII Germany, no way people would let stuff like that happen. We can all just relax.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    CalvinAndHoboCalvinAndHobo Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vision said:

Enron = everyone

So I come from an anti gun family. My mother would like to see magazine limits and a mandatory gun safety/proficiency class before you can buy a gun. My sister wants the second amendment to be repealed and wants all guns made illegal, including for police officers. Those are 2 VERY different positions, and I wouldn't want to presume what your beliefs are based on jokes, which is why I tried to ask what your views were first instead of just assuming them.

I don't feel affronted when they share their views with me, because even though I disagree with them, I know that their views come from a desire to save innocent lives. I personally don't think those potential solutions would solve anything, but listening to that perspective doesn't make me get touchy. What I was hoping to get out of asking you to articulate your views was a way to see where you stood.

Once people know where you stand on an issue, they can see where the jokes are coming from. People on vHerf know that I suck at handywork, I'm constantly **** it up and doing things wrong the first time. When I make a joke about handywork, or offer to help someone with their own home projects, people laugh because they know the background of the joke. I think a large part of why other people (or to be more direct, people who are not me) get touchy or affronted is because they don't know how much of the joke is a joke, and how much is a real view of yours.

If my sister were to make jokes on here about banning guns, it wouldn't really be a joke, would it? If my mom were to make that joke, then it would hopefully be taken more lightheartedly. To answer the questions you asked me:

I used to share views that are similar to my mother's, but after some life experience, I've changed my perspective on many things, gun laws included. I think anyone who passes a background check should be able to own a gun, and carry it concealed. The police do not exist to prevent crime, they exist to punish criminals after the fact. I believe that a parent has a duty to protect their family, and I believe that the words "duty" and "choice" are not interchangeable in this context. I also believe that it's my duty as a citizen to do what I can to keep my fellow citizens safe should the need arise, but using the word choice instead of duty would be fine with me if that's someone else's perspective. I think that most gun laws that get proposed only make guns unobtainable for poor people, and I think that poor people are the people most in need of self defense. Those are my views, would you like to share yours?

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:

@Vision said:

@Bob_Luken said:

Edit Added (?)

My WTF on this, because I genuinely don't know what you are on about.

Oh Ian, we all know you're smarter than that!

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@VegasFrank said:
    Oh Ian, we all know you're smart!

Thank you, Frank! You're a pretty sharp Crayon yourself!

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022

@Vision said:

@Bob_Luken said:

Edit Added (?)

"That logic" is YOUR logic.
    First you make joke using "that logic"
    inspiring me to make joke using "that logic".
    Then you try to call me out on "that logic"?
    Good one.