Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Sounds like a great day/evening, j0z3r. Those are all cigars I've recently added to the humi, so I'm looking forward to trying them.
    kuzi16:
    AVO domaines are worth every penny
    Yes! I'm gonna claim to be your daddy on that one, kuz. I've been praising those around here for a long time.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I started the day with a Hemingway Short Story. I've probably smoked more Hemingways than any other cigar, but I had never tried this little vitola. Should have. They're terrific.

Now I'm having an Indian Tabac Super Fuerte natural. The churchill. I'm very pleasantly surprised with this one. For so inexpensive a cigar, it has a really nice variety of flavors. I'm thinking it's a keeper.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Well, I am officially in VA. Got down here around 5:30 yesterday. I had a 3 cigar ride when I usually only have 2. I started with a VSG robusto which started off with a bad burn. I fixed it and was good for a while. I can't remember if I touched up anymore but I do remember that I nubbed it and it was getting pretty bitter by the end. Next up was a Padilla Hababa Torp. This cigar had a prelight draw of cedar. Since it wasn't in cello it made sense since it was in a cedar humi. This cigar was much more mild than I expected. I have only had one before so I can't remember that it was like but it was pretty mild. I did have a few touchups but near the end. I ended up putting it down with about 1 1/2 - 2 inches left. The draw got too tight. My third and final cigar was a forum blend Maduro. It tasted a lot different than I remember. It started off burning well but I had to make a few corrections. The VGS had almost a year of age. The Padilla had at least 6 months, closer to 8 I think. And the we all know about the forum blends. Can't wait for the drive back tomorrow when I can get 2 - 3 more in.

We went to the FairOaks mall in Fairfax. Stopped by the tobacconist which allows smoking inside. Prices seemed high. They had the Benji Series Partagas for $10. I paid a lot less than that for mine. I wish we had a shopin my mall that I could smoke in.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    rwheelwright:
    My third and final cigar was a forum blend Maduro. It tasted a lot different than I remember.

What are the forum blends?

Second smoke of the day was a CCom Cuban Label. I loved the heavy heat on the palette. Pretty good body too. I think I might have smoked it a little too fast though haha.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    docbp87:
    rwheelwright:
    My third and final cigar was a forum blend Maduro. It tasted a lot different than I remember.

Just like it sounds. A while back Alex set up a thread where we voted on the wrapper, binder and fillers of a cigar, the result was the forum blend in a Brazilian maduro wrapper and an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper. They turned out to be pretty good for a bunch of guys who don't know much about cigar blending.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    j0z3r:
    docbp87:
    rwheelwright:

Just like it sounds. A while back Alex set up a thread where we voted on the wrapper, binder and fillers of a cigar, the result was the forum blend in a Brazilian maduro wrapper and an Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper. They turned out to be pretty good for a bunch of guys who don't know much about cigar blending.
    Very cool. Hope it happens again soon!
  • Options
    brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    Just went to a Brewfest in my area and while drinking some nice brews found a couple of nice BOTL who hooked me up with one of my favorites an Oliva "G" Series and we hung out and talked cigars, love it when that happens.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had some time this afternoon and the weather warmed up a bit after getting down to the 20's last night. I went out on my patio and smoked a 5 Vegas Gold AAA and really enjoyed it. It was my first 5 Vegas and it certainly won't be my last!
  • Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Man O War Ruination Belicoso. Nice cigar. Had a little problem with a seem. No biggee. But, for $4.00 less I definitely prefer the Cain Maduro Torpedo.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well today so far I've only had one smoke, and it was a La Gloria Cubana. Not sure which smoke of theirs it was, but I got it from Jozer, it was a robusto, and had a natural wrapper. I was surprised by this smoke! It had a lot of flavor and great construction. Medium in body but a good solid smoke. The main flavor that I could pick out, I would probably call just a classic tobacco. Thanks for this one Joe! I may have another tonight after the little one goes to bed, but not sure yet. I'm running on 3 hours of sleep since I got up yesterday morning so I may crash early. But tomorrow I've got an ITC 10th robusto for a nice after breakfast smoke!
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    IT SF Maduro, 5 Vegas "A", and a Gurkha Centurian (my first of these)
  • Options
    txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    NUB cameroon on the back porch in perfect 70 degree Houston after a spicey bowl of gumbo.
  • Options
    Alex WilliamsAlex Williams Posts: 1,515
    YankeeMan:
    Had some time this afternoon and the weather warmed up a bit after getting down to the 20's last night. I went out on my patio and smoked a 5 Vegas Gold AAA and really enjoyed it. It was my first 5 Vegas and it certainly won't be my last!
    5 Vegas Gold or the 5 Vegas Triple A??
  • Options
    It was the 5 Vegas Triple A. I got carried away with myself.
  • Options
    coachjamiecoachjamie Posts: 337
    I had my first 5 Vegas cigar it was a classic in a torpedo. Was very good and burn and draw were absolutely perfect. I will definitely be picking some of these up soon!!
  • Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    I just finished a Oliva G Cameroon robusto. I was rather impressed with this smoke, especially for its small size. Gave of MASSIVE amounts of smoke, had to do a few touch up lights but no real problems. Excellent flavor!
  • Options
    jacketsrulejacketsrule Posts: 401
    Don Pepin JJ after a rough day at the office. All better!
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Had a 5 Vegas Limitada 2008
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Started with a Comacho corojo...then later a Gurkha Grand Reserve.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    had a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet.. very tasty stick, too bad the sudden downpour ruined the last third! :(
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    txjayhawk:
    NUB cameroon on the back porch in perfect 70 degree Houston after a spicey bowl of gumbo.

*drools on keyboard*, sounds like a great time, I love me some gumbo!
  • Options
    minibeezyminibeezy Posts: 257
    Had my first Reposado '96. Nice, mild stick. Enjoyed it.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I had a Punch Rare Corojo toro tonight. A pretty great smoke for the price! I really enojyed it, despite the fairly cold weather outside tonight. I am definitely going to be getting some more of these for the future. I can see this becoming another go-to, as well as a stick to give to "semi-experienced" friends.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    Not sure which smoke of theirs it was, but I got it from Jozer, it was a robusto, and had a natural wrapper.
    Hey Jason, glad you enjoyed that one. That's a stand by for me, the LGC Wavell. Inexpensive and always a solid smoke for pretty much anytime.

After my excess yesterday I needed to level things off, so only one today. I smoked a Casa Magna belicoso from a trade with cabinetmaker. Excellent cigar, they smoke very slowly, I had been smoking it for 90 minutes and was only approaching the end of the 2nd third.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    PuroFreak:
    Not sure which smoke of theirs it was, but I got it from Jozer, it was a robusto, and had a natural wrapper.
    Hey Jason, glad you enjoyed that one. That's a stand by for me, the LGC Wavell. Inexpensive and always a solid smoke for pretty much anytime.

After my excess yesterday I needed to level things off, so only one today. I smoked a Casa Magna belicoso from a trade with cabinetmaker. Excellent cigar, they smoke very slowly, I had been smoking it for 90 minutes and was only approaching the end of the 2nd third.
    Yea they are nice when you have the time for a solid 2 hours of smoking, lol.. Glad you like them. Last night I smoked one as well, right before the UFC fights started. For the fight, I lit up an Ashton ESG 20 year salute. Another solid 2 hours of bliss.
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Last night a friend from Philly came up to visit. After a few drinks, and a hardy meal, we went out to the garage and attempted our first Cains. He had the habano wrapper in the monster double toro size and I enjoyed the maduro wrapper in the robusto size. We both preferred the maduro wrapper because the added sweetness really complimented the spices the cigar delivered.

Sadly, because neither of us really smoke full bodied cigars we both cut them a little short. Not by too much.....but we certainly didn't nub them. And even more sadly, about 15 minutes after I put it down and visited the bathroom and brought dinner back up. I was a little pissed at myself for this. I have never thrown up from a cigar before. I've felt a little woozy sure, but never actually got sick. Maybe one day when I smoke more often I can handle these cigars....but not yet. I still have a Cain F resting that might be up for trade soon along with some other stuff....
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    j0z3r:
    PuroFreak:

Thanks for the info! It was a good smoke. I wasn't expecting much from LGC but was pleasantly surprised! The ash held for the entire first half of the cigar even though it was a windy day out here at the lake. Very impressive smoke!
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Hugemoose:
    Last night a friend from Philly came up to visit. After a few drinks, and a hardy meal, we went out to the garage and attempted our first Cains. He had the habano wrapper in the monster double toro size and I enjoyed the maduro wrapper in the robusto size. We both preferred the maduro wrapper because the added sweetness really complimented the spices the cigar delivered.

Sadly, because neither of us really smoke full bodied cigars we both cut them a little short. Not by too much.....but we certainly didn't nub them. And even more sadly, about 15 minutes after I put it down and visited the bathroom and brought dinner back up. I was a little pissed at myself for this. I have never thrown up from a cigar before. I've felt a little woozy sure, but never actually got sick. Maybe one day when I smoke more often I can handle these cigars....but not yet. I still have a Cain F resting that might be up for trade soon along with some other stuff....
    Wow, hope it wasn't an expensive dinner. lol I haven't ventured into such a full bodied smoke. It's a double edge sword though. Because everyone suggest a big meal before smoking one! Hell I think I am staying away from dem Cains for some time. Thanks for your honesty!
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Dark Roast:
    Hugemoose:

Wow, hope it wasn't an expensive dinner. lol I haven't ventured into such a full bodied smoke. It's a double edge sword though. Because everyone suggest a big meal before smoking one! Hell I think I am staying away from dem Cains for some time. Thanks for your honesty!
    Mike, you may want to keep this story in mind, if you plan on digging into that MOW Ruination anytime soon. These are very good sticks and a favorite around here, but they are NOT for the novice or someone without a good meal in them.

They also age wondefully, so if you sit on it for a few months, by then you will most likely want to start trying some more full bodied sticks, and that MOW would be an awesome place to start.

If you choose not to follow this advice... please report back your experience, LOL.
  • Options
    I just had a Greycliff G2. Enjoyed it, but I had to go out to the man shed because it is cold and damp today.