Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Tonight I will broil a salmon filet, caught by my son off the coast of Alaska, pour a glass of Glenfiddich Single Malt, and smoke my first Armada. Happy Birthday to me!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY Amos Umwhat. Sounds like you have a great day plan going. You should love that Armada. Make sure you give yourself at least 2 full hours for that stick.
    Thanks, bro! Got to be at work at 0630 tomorrow, so will be going light on the scotch, I've had a devil of a time waiting for that Armada, but the time's finally here! :p
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Had a GOF last night, in the robusto size (got it in the 5 GOF + Herfador sampler) - totally disappointed. It's been resting in my humi for about a week, and the flavors were large, harsh, and just not balanced. It was nowhere near as smooth as other cigars I've had - I smoked a Diesel unlimited right after, and enjoyed it immensely more than the GOF. For the money, the MOW Armada is way better IMO - much smoother, better flavors, and a much more balanced stick

I have 4 more resting, so I'll try them in a few weeks, but for now, I'm just really disappointed.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Tonight I will broil a salmon filet, caught by my son off the coast of Alaska, pour a glass of Glenfiddich Single Malt, and smoke my first Armada. Happy Birthday to me!
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY Amos Umwhat. Sounds like you have a great day plan going. You should love that Armada. Make sure you give yourself at least 2 full hours for that stick.
    Happy birthday bro! sounds like an awesome night you got planned. and +1 on the 2 hr. smoke. It is a very slow burning cigar (which is a good thing if you have the time) but it is very tasty! Enjoy
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    That sounds like a gret plan. Happy birthday Amos. Enjoy the weekend.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Had a GOF last night, in the robusto size (got it in the 5 GOF + Herfador sampler) - totally disappointed. It's been resting in my humi for about a week, and the flavors were large, harsh, and just not balanced. It was nowhere near as smooth as other cigars I've had - I smoked a Diesel unlimited right after, and enjoyed it immensely more than the GOF. For the money, the MOW Armada is way better IMO - much smoother, better flavors, and a much more balanced stick

I have 4 more resting, so I'll try them in a few weeks, but for now, I'm just really disappointed.

Did you have the Don Carlos or Carlito? My experience with the DC was not good at all. I liked the Carlito 10x over the DC. I felt it was much more balanced, complex and smooth where the DC was harsh and bitter.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    xmacro:

Did you have the Don Carlos or Carlito? My experience with the DC was not good at all. I liked the Carlito 10x over the DC. I felt it was much more balanced, complex and smooth where the DC was harsh and bitter.
    Yeah, it was the Don Carlos robusto. Thanks for the advice; I was about to write off the GOF completely based on that DC. It's good to know I have 2 dbl robuto's and a churchill by Carlito resting; guess I'll give them a try tomorrow.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Had a Camacho Triple Maddy this morning...
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I celebrated Christmas Eve this morning with one of the ISOMs I got for my birthday back in November. This one was an H. Upmann Magnum 50. Tomorrow, I'll celebrate with one of the Davidoffs our son gave me for Christmas. It was one of those 4-stick samplers put out by Davidoff.

The Magnum 50 this morning was good - but not great. It got noticeably better around the halfway point but I still don't see what all the fuss is about with ISOMs. I've noticed that they each have a kinda toasty flavor about them that seems different than what I'm used to with non-ISOMs but I still have a few left to try. Don't know if they'll all have that toasty flavor or not.

Anyway, Merry Christmas to all you BOTLs and BORKs out there, and a Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous New Year. I hope 2011 is far better for all of you than 2010 was.

Marty

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    xmacro:
    Rob1110:
    xmacro:

Yeah, it was the Don Carlos robusto. Thanks for the advice; I was about to write off the GOF completely based on that DC. It's good to know I have 2 dbl robuto's and a churchill by Carlito resting; guess I'll give them a try tomorrow.
    After a little time in your humi to balance out, that Churchill by Carlito should be a complete game changer in as far as how you feel about GOF's. These are VERY tasty sticks. One of my top three.
  • Options
    Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now fired up a RP Decade.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:

wow, never had that with a GOF.
  • Options
    Just had the Dbl Robusto by Carlito to compare - MUCH better than the Don Carlos robusto. Smoother, flavors were better (kept picking up a really nice sweetness, I think someone on here called it honey), and it was much more enjoyable. I'll take laker's advice and give the churchill some more time to get the full effect :)
  • Options
    Had a Padilla Cazadores tonight, decent stick...
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    My first Ave Maria ... really enjoyed it and will be adding to daily rotation . Nice pepper/spice flavor .
  • Options

Had this tonight, a great way to start xmas weekend!
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    Had my first Gurkha, a Regent torpedo, wow what a good smoke. This might be one of those "a ha!" moments for me as a newbie smoker, I really enjoyed that stick.

phobicsquirrel, nice Lost City!
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    GHausGHaus Posts: 74
    Cohiba Siglo VI, very nice. Tried some cognac for the first time, pretty good.
  • Options
    GHaus:
    Cohiba Siglo VI, very nice. Tried some cognac for the first time, pretty good.
    damn, from what I've heard, the Cohiba Siglo serie's are amazing sticks, one of the best you can get from any blender, ISOM or not; very nice!!
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    xmacro:
    Just had the Dbl Robusto by Carlito to compare - MUCH better than the Don Carlos robusto. Smoother, flavors were better (kept picking up a really nice sweetness, I think someone on here called it honey), and it was much more enjoyable. I'll take laker's advice and give the churchill some more time to get the full effect :)
    Thats strange. I like the Don Carlos much better. I found it to be similar to a VSG robusto but with much more flavor and the flavors were more intense. I didn't want to put it down. However, that one I had was a 2005. Maybe the other years are different.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    phobicsquirrel:

What is this? The only Opus, with a red band. I've ever seen in a glass tube is from the old My Forbidden X .... Arturo Sandoval sets. If that's what this is... WOW. Nice.

Regardless, it looks fantastic.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    xmacro:

What year are they? That shocks me. The GOF blends is far more subtle and nuanced in my experience than, for example appropriately, the in your face power (but lack of balance) in the Diesel cigars. The GOFs aren't mild blends by any means, more like slightly lighter Opus blends. Definitely give them another try.
  • Options
    Had an AF Hemongway Best Seller this morning...
  • Options
    docbp87:
    xmacro:

What year are they? That shocks me. The GOF blends is far more subtle and nuanced in my experience than, for example appropriately, the in your face power (but lack of balance) in the Diesel cigars. The GOFs aren't mild blends by any means, more like slightly lighter Opus blends. Definitely give them another try.
    Not sure what year it was, but there was nothing subtle about this one; I couldn't ID the flavor, but something was just dominant over everything else throughout the cigar, it never went away or subsided. At any rate, I've got 1 DC, and 2 Carlito's resting that I'll try again in a month or so, after they've had some more rest
  • Options
    Diamondog:
    Had an AF Hemongway Best Seller this morning...
    How're you liking the Hemmingways? I've heard good things about them, but never pulled the trigger on an order
  • Options
    docbp87:
    phobicsquirrel:

What is this? The only Opus, with a red band. I've ever seen in a glass tube is from the old My Forbidden X .... Arturo Sandoval sets. If that's what this is... WOW. Nice.

You seem to know more about it than me. I picked it up a few years ago. This was a pretty good stick. It started out with a bad burn but soon fixed itself. It took me a little over 2 hours to finish, maybe 2.25 or so. I have one I'd be willing to part with if your interested. Just shoot me a pm.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    docbp87:
    phobicsquirrel:

You seem to know more about it than me. I picked it up a few years ago. This was a pretty good stick. It started out with a bad burn but soon fixed itself. It took me a little over 2 hours to finish, maybe 2.25 or so. I have one I'd be willing to part with if your interested. Just shoot me a pm.
    This is the Forbidden X "Tubed" 6.25 x 48
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    phobicsquirrel:

Was the cap on it white? If it is then I think its the Opus X Reserva D'Chateau cigars ( 7 x 49 ) in glass tubes. With the foot band being black and the outter being red.

just an example of what im talking about on the foot bands.
  • Options
    MOW Armada, last one I had from the COTM subscription. I really dig this stick - smooth, balanced, and very delicious; the flavors were there in spades, but they were always subdued, smooth, and balanced with each other - nothing ever really dominated, and nothing overwhelmed my palate. It's got some good power to it, but the body doesn't hit you - never once did I ever think it was over-powering. It wasn't until the nub that I felt anything, and even then, it was just a pleasant buzz that never made me sick at all. All in all, just a really nice stick.

• Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just had my first San Miguel...very nice cigar, really enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Last night was a Cohiba XV, followed later on by a pipeful of dunhill night cap. This morning is a MOW Virtue with an armada on deck for later :)