Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    This afternoon I decided to try a Rocky Patel OSG robusto. This one just really didn't do much for me, it was ok tasting, but nothing really grabbed me. Tonight I was put to shame by a Nestor Reserve maduro torpedo...this proved to be too much cigar for me. I liked it quite a bit, but I just didn't have the stamina to finish it, a robusto would've been perfect tonight.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I don't think they make it in a robusto. Cut them in half?
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I'll be up for a while, writing one of my 4 papers that are due over the next 5 days. Just lit up a Graycliff 1666 robusto and got a tall glass of cafe au lait.
  • Options
    urbino:
    I don't think they make it in a robusto. Cut them in half?
    lol. No, they don't. But they do make it in a corona...even better.
  • Options
    Really? I'll be darned. All I've ever seen is the torpedo.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Scrambler:
    I'll be up for a while, writing one of my 4 papers that are due over the next 5 days. Just lit up a Graycliff 1666 robusto and got a tall glass of cafe au lait.
    While your typing?
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Today was a Fuentes Cuban Corona.. A nice little cigar. It was sweet, nutty on the last half, with a cocoa taste throughout. Medium bodied and a great example of what Fuentes can do for just a few bucks. Pick some up and you should enjoy them.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Partaking in a Hemingway Short Story as we speak. It had a small draw issue early, but after a few minutes was able to loosen it up. It is drawing like a champ now. A very fine taste and aroma in such a short stick. I may be buying a few more of these soon.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Really? I'll be darned. All I've ever seen is the torpedo.
    Yep, and actually I was wrong, they do make a robusto.
  • Options
    I finished up with a Rocky Patel Honduran Classic in the short torpedo size, 5x54. This was a pretty nice cigar, medium, maybe medium-full in body, good flavor and a solid performer...no touch-ups here thank you kindly. Perfect size for an afternoon smoke too, runs about an hour or a little more.
  • Options
    I got one of my orders today, in fact one of the Olivia Serie "O" maduros felt good enough to smoke so I did, a pretty good cigar, strong but in that good way. Some cocoa hints, grass/earth, spice and wood/cedar. I'll have to crack open the other in a while. It's always nice to see that you have filled up your humi! I put in the last 8 sticks I think my humi can take, now I need to get another for my infused cigars, then I think I'm going to get a 400+ sized humi. It's funny, I have a 100 count and already the thing is full, it's because of all the good smokes you all talk about! damn you, damn you all =)
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I'm about to retire to the balcony with a nice glass of Seagram's V.O. Gold and a Romeo Y Julietta Habana Reserve to enjoy the end of my book, "Adam."
  • Options
    Finished up with a Perdomo ESV '91 second...have I told you guys that I love this cigar? Well if I've somehow managed to forget that part...I love this cigar, it's just fantastic.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I'm smoking a Don Carlos #3, first one out of the box I recently bought. The foot seemed a tad underfilled and it's burning kinda quick, but it still tastes great. Hopefully this was the one poorly constructed stick out of the box.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Tonight it's a Natural Limited Irish Hops. I've been wanting to try this one and just received a Drew sampler. Interesting smoke, I enjoyed it but would have to try another before deciding to grab a box. Definitely some hops flavor there, probably should have cracked open a nice IPA to enjoy with this.
  • Options
    I finished up with a Nording robusto a little while ago, pretty good cigar. I've seen mention of burn issues with this cigar, but mine burned straight and even the whole way through, a couple prominent veins proved to be no problem. While the flavor was good, I think this one needs a deal of rest as I did note some bitterness at times. I'll get back to this one in a few months and see where it is.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I think this one needs a deal of rest as I did note some bitterness at times. I'll get back to this one in a few months and see where it is.
    i could see that. the one i had was fairly young as well. i did have burn issues with mine but im guessing that is a bit more rare than i thought. I may go out in a week or two and get a few of these just to age. I bet about a year on em would do it wonders.
  • Options
    TshawwTshaww Posts: 16
    I just had my first la aroma de cuba...I must say this is my favorite cigar I have had thus far...it was just a perfect smoke to help out an awful day.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    I bet about a year on em would do it wonders.
    I don't doubt that one bit. Though on a young cigar, an additional 90 days can do quite a bit in my limited experience...of course I'll be looking forward to these with a year on them too.
  • Options
    Tshaww:
    I just had my first la aroma de cuba...I must say this is my favorite cigar I have had thus far...it was just a perfect smoke to help out an awful day.
    Yeah, a good cigar can help that way.

Fellas, I've got a pack of Swisher cigarillos in my hand, and I'm not afraid to use 'em.
  • Options
    Use 'em, I'll expect a full review on my desk in the morning.

I just finished my night off with a Legends black label, that would be La Aurora for those of you not in the know. :) This was a very nice, mildly medium smoke. In several ways it reminded me of the Matasa entry in the Legends line-up, which I also thought was excellent. The only problem I had with this one was the burn, it was great until about halfway, then portions of the wrapper refused to burn despite much rotating and several corrections, hopefully this will be taken care of with some rest.
  • Options
    Here's the precis, Joz: ass. The Swisher cigarillo tastes like ass. With a vanilla spritz.

The La Herencia Cubana, OTOH, is pretty excellent. Starts leathery, develops a hint of sweet cinnamon, and then kind of carries both through to the end.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Tshaww:
    Yeah, a good cigar can help that way.

Fellas, I've got a pack of Swisher cigarillos in my hand, and I'm not afraid to use 'em.
    No kidding!!! I didn't smoke anything but I did drink! lol
  • Options
    urbino:
    Here's the precis, Joz: ass. The Swisher cigarillo tastes like ass. With a vanilla spritz.

The La Herencia Cubana, OTOH, is pretty excellent. Starts leathery, develops a hint of sweet cinnamon, and then kind of carries both through to the end.
    What kind of ass specifically?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    urbino:

The kind you smoke?....?

Glad you liked the La Herencia...was it by chance one of the ones I sent you?
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    urbino:

The kind you smoke?....?

Glad you liked the La Herencia...was it by chance one of the ones I sent you?
    Joe, does ass have a leathery or a barnyard taste?
  • Options
    Couldn't tell ya...though I'd imagine barnyard floor would be right on the level. :)
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I smoked a Partagas Series S Perfecto. I usually like these but last night I did not enjoy it to much. It great for about 10 minutes but went downhill. Maybe it was because of the burn. I kept trying to fix it. The burn was better by the middle but maybe correcting it so early on and multiple times ruined it.

I do have a question and hope somebody knows the answer. Partagas has a Series S Preferido. It is exactly the same size and shape as the Aristocrat but at ~$87 a box instead of ~$134. The series S is supposed to be the same blend as the regular Partagas but in different shapes. The aristocrat and Preferido are the same shape and size. Both are torpedos. Anybody know the difference? I know that I prefer the Aristocrat over the Preferido but why??????????????????????????? The band is slightly different. That is all I can find other than the price.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i see what you mean.

i went to a rival site (sorry) because of how it was set up. i had each of the cigars in two different tabs of my browser. i was clicking back and forth and the only thing that changed was the order code the picture and the price. ...and even the picture was very similar.

cigar.com hints that they are different but they dont go into any detail.

ide bee willing to bet the even though the wrapper, binder and filler are the same country for each cigar the blend is different-- different ratios, shapes, vintages, fields, aging. all of those things could change it significantly.

i dont know if it warrants such a big price difference.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Yeah, that was my guess but I saw somewhere that the blend was supposed to be the same so then I start to think hrm... then what is the difference. I know they taste different but it is just weird. I mean, if they tasted the same I would buy the cheaper box but hey I have been smoking the Aristocrat since like 96 or 97. They were so hard to get for a while I had to pick them up when I went to NC to see my friends parents. It's a shame I don't really keep them in the humidor anymore. To much other stuff to smoke. I think after my experiment phase is over, I may just stick to a few different brands and sizes. Right now, I have tooooooooo much and have a hard time deciding what to smoke.

On a different note, today I smoked a Master Select XO. I got myself a 5 pack within the last two weeks. This one was beat up so that is why I smoked it. The other 4 look ok and I'll be aging them. This one had cracks all throughout the wrapper and it would keep cracking the more I smoked it. However, I only had a draw problem when I didn't cover up one of the cracks by the head. The cigar is to big for me to cut. I don't have a cutter that will cut a 60 and the crack was like an inch down so covered it with my lip when smoking or my finger and all was well. This is my first Master Select and I did enjoy it. I hope the others are just as good without the problems.