Home Non Cigar Related

UP THE IRONS!

As the reasons for the carnage
Cut their meat & lick the gravy,
We oil the jaws of the war machine
And feed it with our babies.

Im starting this thread to pay homage to a band that seems to be near & dear to the hearts of a surprising number of BOTL around here - Iron Maiden! Feel free to post favorite lyrics, albums, songs, pics, stories, WHATEVER relating to the mighty Maiden here.

Comments

• JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    The killer's breed or the demon's seed,
    The power, the fortune, the faaaaaaame.
    Go to war again, blood is freedom's sin, don't you pray for my soul anymore!
    Light 'em up.
    I saw them in Phoenix in 2010 and in 2008. The 2008 tour was the "back somewhere in time" and they played all the classic stuff. They still sound amazing and Bruce hasn't lost it one bit!

First got into them when I was 13.
    Light 'em up.
  • Living on a razors edge, balancing on a ledge So glad to know there are cigar smokin' metalheads out there other than myself. Maybe we can smoke out some closet Maiden fans out of the woodwork via this thread
    The evil that men do lives on and onnnn!!!!

I'm a bit of an odd one, as I'm classically trained, but I'm a little bit country, and a little bit heavy metal. :D
    Light 'em up.
    Hey IcedGuardian,

Trying to keep this here, so as not to hijack the other thread lol:

Same with Yngwie's setup, if you've ever had a chance to pick up his guitar through his amps, it feeds-back like a motherf$%er and the action is so high on his guitar, I don't know how he plays it, but he shreds!
    Light 'em up.
  • haha yea..I believe it
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I can't wait to see Maiden again, they put on such a killer show. I'll go old school and throw some love to Wrathchild, gotta give Paul Di'Anno a bit of mention, I really dig on the early albums. But I love the later stuff too, I just love it all...is that asking too much? Smile [:)]

Seven deadly sins
    Seven ways to win
    Seven holy paths to hell and your trip begins

Seven bloodied hopes
    Seven downward slopes
    Seven are your burning fires
    Seven your desires...
    Moonchiiiiild!
    Light 'em up.
  • ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    lured me. i thought you were talking about golf
  • j0z3r:
    I can't wait to see Maiden again, they put on such a killer show. I'll go old school and throw some love to Wrathchild, gotta give Paul Di'Anno a bit of mention, I really dig on the early albums. But I love the later stuff too, I just love it all...is that asking too much? Smile [:)]

Seven deadly sins
    Seven ways to win

Seven bloodied hopes
    Seven downward slopes
    Seven your desires...
    Killers is my favorite album as far as loving every song on it so yea, Di'anno deserves some cred
    Hey Iced, have you checked out the Testament Live in London album?
    Light 'em up.
    xIcedGuardianx:
    j0z3r:

Seven deadly sins
    Seven ways to win

Seven bloodied hopes
    Seven downward slopes
    Seven your desires...
    Killers is my favorite album as far as loving every song on it so yea, Di'anno deserves some cred
    Killers is an awesome album, right up at the top for me with Seventh Son and Powerslave.
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I still have Killers on vinyl (Powerslave and a coule others too, i'll have to dig them out even though i don't have a turntable anymore). I always loved the rawness of the Paul Di'Anno maiden era. Not as big of a metalhead as i used to be, but Maiden definitely played a big part in my musical upbringing. Them (along with Slayer, Metallica in the early days, Testament, Anthrax, SOD etc) got me through the horrific era of poser hair 'metal'.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    How DId i miss this thread! well do we Really want me to get into this one? LOL I have seen Iron Maiden 26 times Live 2 time with Diano...... I have seen every Tour they have done! LOL I am just a Bit Obbsessed... have several videos from a Show i saw 3 years ago or so in Cleveland on my you Tube....Here is our Heor Eddie at the Finale!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FJgbuPT6Ao

Up The Irons!
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    JCizzle:
    Hey IcedGuardian,

Same with Yngwie's setup, if you've ever had a chance to pick up his guitar through his amps, it feeds-back like a motherf$%er and the action is so high on his guitar, I don't know how he plays it, but he shreds!

Yngwie's setup is due to his strings. He uses really light ones, so he needs the high action to get good sustain. I do give the guy respect for the way he goes about it. I just read a GP article and he has rider in his contract that they have to supply him with a "marshall wall" for him to do the show. That's classic shred...
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Oh, God of earth and altar
    Bow down and hear our cry
    Our earthly rulers falter
    Our people drift and die

The walls of gold entomb us
    The swords of scorn divide
    Take not thy thunder from us
    Take away our pride

Have never seen them live, not sure I would want to, this is a band that ended after 1984 for me, it's old school or nothing from these guys for me....Live After Death one of the greatest live albums of all time...
    ljl:
    JCizzle:
    Hey IcedGuardian,

Yngwie's setup is due to his strings. He uses really light ones, so he needs the high action to get good sustain. I do give the guy respect for the way he goes about it. I just read a GP article and he has rider in his contract that they have to supply him with a "marshall wall" for him to do the show. That's classic shred...
    Yeah he plays a hybrid set of strings, light on the top and heavy on the bottom I think...
    Light 'em up.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Here ya go Guys,,,, a link to my Photo Album from Cleveland!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/redtailhawkoz/sets/72157605684812017/

PICT0270 (2)
    Yeah They Are AWESOME !
  • ljlljl Posts: 819
    JCizzle:
    ljl:
    JCizzle:
    Hey IcedGuardian,

Yeah he plays a hybrid set of strings, light on the top and heavy on the bottom I think...

Right on! I think they're eights, but he described the low strings as "noodles" so he replaces them.
  • I saw Iron Maiden last summer when they came thru the concert venue I work at. They still fill seats and give a good show, unlike a lot of the bands that have been around a long time who just "mail it in"!
  • tincup703:
    I saw Iron Maiden last summer when they came thru the concert venue I work at. They still fill seats and give a good show, unlike a lot of the bands that have been around a long time who just "mail it in"!
    Is that Jiffy Lube Live?
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    JCizzle:
    Hey IcedGuardian,

The other famous instance of a musician being the only one to be able to play through his setup is Santana. I can't think of a single other axeman that can use a Mesa Boogie.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Diamondog:
    Oh, God of earth and altar
    Bow down and hear our cry
    Our earthly rulers falter
    Our people drift and die

The walls of gold entomb us
    The swords of scorn divide
    Take not thy thunder from us
    Take away our pride

Have never seen them live, not sure I would want to, this is a band that ended after 1984 for me, it's old school or nothing from these guys for me....Live After Death one of the greatest live albums of all time...
    REVELATIONS!!! Hells yeah, shout out to Piece of Mind! That was the album I discovered Maiden on, and I have never looked back since!

An easy way for the blind to go
    A clever path for the fools who know
    The secret of the Hanged Man
    The smile on his lips

Also surprised to see all the love for DiAnno-era Maiden on here, definitely an era of the band that doesnt get nearly enough credit.

Next subject - What's your "what the h3ll were they thinking" Maiden moment? For me, Ive gotta go with "The X-Factor"... not a single redeeming quality on the whole album....

X-Factor has one redeeming quality imo, a single song...Man on the Edge. And maybe that's only because I like the movie Falling Down. Not a whole lot of good came from the Blaze Bailey era, except that it kept the band active and gave Bruce and Adrian a place to come back to. I don't know though, I mean I don't hate Virtual XI for what it is.
    j0z3r:
    X-Factor has one redeeming quality imo, a single song...Man on the Edge. And maybe that's only because I like the movie Falling Down. Not a whole lot of good came from the Blaze Bailey era, except that it kept the band active and gave Bruce and Adrian a place to come back to. I don't know though, I mean I don't hate Virtual XI for what it is.
    I dont think I ever really properly appreciated Adrian until after he came back...

• Unfortunatly the Albums after Brave New Word are all " what were you thinking" for me. You can just tell they ran out of riffs to me. I still love Maiden but it's all about the 80's for me and it seems with the somewhere back in time tour, they know it's what we all want to hear. To be fair, I haven't heard the newest album so I will reserve judgement.
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Unfortunatly the Albums after Brave New Word are all " what were you thinking" for me. You can just tell they ran out of riffs to me. I still love Maiden but it's all about the 80's for me and it seems with the somewhere back in time tour, they know it's what we all want to hear. To be fair, I haven't heard the newest album so I will reserve judgement.
    I actually liked A Matter of Life and Death (Im in the minority I know), but I will give you Dance of Death brother! Had it not been for The X Factor DofD would have been my pick.

The jury is STILL out for me on The Final Frontier. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. The last Maiden album that hit me that way was Seventh Son, which became a favorite over time so I am hopeful.

Awesome clip Oz, thanks! I think you are undoubtedly the King Maiden Fan of these forums!

• bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    You guys ever seen this version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI5VpCOkL5s

Not a bad movie, but this version ROCKS!!!
    The Sniper:
    xIcedGuardianx:
    Unfortunatly the Albums after Brave New Word are all " what were you thinking" for me. You can just tell they ran out of riffs to me. I still love Maiden but it's all about the 80's for me and it seems with the somewhere back in time tour, they know it's what we all want to hear. To be fair, I haven't heard the newest album so I will reserve judgement.
    I actually liked A Matter of Life and Death (Im in the minority I know), but I will give you Dance of Death brother! Had it not been for The X Factor DofD would have been my pick.

The jury is STILL out for me on The Final Frontier. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. The last Maiden album that hit me that way was Seventh Son, which became a favorite over time so I am hopeful.

I don't know guys, I won't tell you you're wrong, but I will say I think DoD and MoLaD (mo-lad, love how that sounds...mo...lad) are fine albums in their own right. To compare them to Piece Of Mind, Number, Powerslave, that just doesn't do them justice because the sound has changed over the years. I suppose an analogue would be comparing Metallica's Ride the Lightning to Death Magnetic, same band different sound...and I realize using selloutica as an example might not work for some, but my point is that some fans like both albums and appreciate them for what they are...that's me with Maiden, I love the old stuff and I love the new stuff as well...except the Blaze albums, just can't really get into those much.

And you know, regardless of what we all think of the different eras of Maiden, I think we can agree on one thing: There are two types of people in this world, those who love Iron Maiden and the deaf. Up The Irons!!!