Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    I think it may be that I am still a newbie, but I was kinda let down by the Romeo #1. I am going to try to get a few of these and put them in the humidor for a while. Maybe after I have been smoking for a while longer I will be able to better appreciate them.
    What was it that let you down with the R&J, ( vintage ? ) It is rather mild for me, kind of creamy, and woody. Not one of my regulars but still a reliable smoke. Try the R&J Reserva Real for a little boost in flavor and strength. That may be more to your liking.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    To celebrate the Steelers awesome SB win, I had a davidoff millenium blend...excellent. Pretty smooth for a full-bodied...perfect light, draw and burn.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Finally over my cold, broke the non-smoking streak with a Gurkha Nepalese Warrior. Good smoke but tastes strangely like the master select. Hmmmm. I know gurkha is infamous for that though.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Tonight was a Padilla Signature 1948 churchill. I really like this cigar.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:
    Typically Romeo's are only a step above Macanudo's IMHO. THey are more of a newbie or occasional smokers cigar. At best they are a mild cigar and are mild in flavor as well. IMO your dissappointment in them shows a more refined pallate despite your inexperience.
    Have to disagree with you there, maddy. I can really only speak to the Reserva Real, but it's one of my reliable favorites. It's definitely on the mild side, but with good flavor, IMHO, and the construction is dead-on every time.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311

Tonight had a Fuente Hemmingway Classic, needed to have that classic cigar taste and was right on. Had some Lipton Lemon Tea with it, pretty good combo.

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    dep691:

Tonight had a Fuente Hemmingway Classic, needed to have that classic cigar taste and was right on. Had some Lipton Lemon Tea with it, pretty good combo.

Mmmm now theres a tasty stick. Goes great with a cup of Sumatran Coffee.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    What was it that let you down with the R&J, ( vintage ? ) It is rather mild for me, kind of creamy, and woody. Not one of my regulars but still a reliable smoke. Try the R&J Reserva Real for a little boost in flavor and strength. That may be more to your liking.
    Like I said before, I am just getting into cigar smoking seriously, but... The draw was a little too tight to begin with, which isn't a huge deal, more of a preference thing. The biggest let down was that there just really wasn't much going on with it. It maintained the same flavor throughout the entire smoke, I guess you would call it woody. I definately didn't detect any creaminess. But that's it, no changes, no other flavors coming out. And then it got a little bitter at the very end, but that could be something I did, maybe pulling on it too often or something like that.

I didn't say it was bad, just I was dissapointed in it, mainly because of how simple it was. It would be an okay cigar to smoke when you were doing something else where you aren't really paying attention to the smoke itself, but if thats the case, I'd rather go with a Curly Head (which cost less than half what the Romeo No. 1 did) or maybe a Rocky Patel R4.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    kaspera79:
    Like I said before, I am just getting into cigar smoking seriously, but... The draw was a little too tight to begin with, which isn't a huge deal, more of a preference thing. The biggest let down was that there just really wasn't much going on with it. It maintained the same flavor throughout the entire smoke, I guess you would call it woody. I definately didn't detect any creaminess. But that's it, no changes, no other flavors coming out. And then it got a little bitter at the very end, but that could be something I did, maybe pulling on it too often or something like that.
    how long did the cigar last you?

i agree with the reserva real idea
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    Typically Romeo's are only a step above Macanudo's IMHO. THey are more of a newbie or occasional smokers cigar. At best they are a mild cigar and are mild in flavor as well. IMO your dissappointment in them shows a more refined pallate despite your inexperience.
    Have to disagree with you there, maddy. I can really only speak to the Reserva Real, but it's one of my reliable favorites. It's definitely on the mild side, but with good flavor, IMHO, and the construction is dead-on every time.
    The Reserva Real and most other R&J's are like comparing apples and oranges. THe Viejo is also a pretty good smoke but the rest IMO are very similar to the Macs in concept mild body and flavor.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    The Reserva Real and most other R&J's are like comparing apples and oranges. THe Viejo is also a pretty good smoke but the rest IMO are very similar to the Macs in concept mild body and flavor.
    I have never had a R&J that I have liked, cuban or otherwise. However, there are some Macanudos that I liked. Not the regular line but more of a darker label and wrapper. I forget which one it is. Haven't had them in a long time.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    how long did the cigar last you?

i agree with the reserva real idea
    Just over an hour or so, I didn' really time it.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    today was a romeo y julieta habana reserve-very tasty
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    Tonight for me was an Ashton classic corona.
    Nice and smooth with a slight coffee aftertaste.  It was very nice.

I'm new, by the way.

- Shawn
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I like that one too shawn, welcome. I had a 5 vegas miami, and wasn't too impressed. It did burn well and had a nice ash. Seems as though I really don't like much of the 5 vegas's, though I do like the A.
  • Options
    ShawnJ:
    Tonight for me was an Ashton classic corona.
    Nice and smooth with a slight coffee aftertaste.  It was very nice.

I'm new, by the way.

- Shawn
    Well, welcome to you Shawn. how long have you been enjoying cigars ? I seen you enjoy some good stuff already.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    today i had a Fuente 8-5-8 maduro. i just had a taste for one, i wasnt let down.
  • Options
    I had a La Aurora 1495/1994 Cameroon. It called my name and I had to respond. A corona that lasted over an hour, just right.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome shawn
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    I had a La Aurora 1495/1994 Cameroon. It called my name and I had to respond. A corona that lasted over an hour, just right.
    Did you use a lime?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    kaspera79:
    Did you use a lime?
    ... only in the beer, never on the cigar. They won't stay lit worth a $hit
  • Options
    Always a good cigar kas. I haven't been let down by a 1495 yet, and the 1994 cameroon leaves me with a smile on my face every time.

Tonight was a Nording robusto for me, very nice and probably my favorite Rocky Patel cigar. My Nordings have about 3-4 months on them now and it shows, the cigar is so drastically improved in such a short time, I can't wait to see what 6-12 months will do for them.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Always a good cigar kas. I haven't been let down by a 1495 yet, and the 1994 cameroon leaves me with a smile on my face every time.

Tonight was a Nording robusto for me, very nice and probably my favorite Rocky Patel cigar. My Nordings have about 3-4 months on them now and it shows, the cigar is so drastically improved in such a short time, I can't wait to see what 6-12 months will do for them.
    The box I got today had a labell that said 06/31/08. So it looks like they have at least six months on them already. I can't wait to start empting that box. Nording is really my favorite Patel too, and I probably would never have tried them without your help. I better stop talking about them or they will be impossible to find in a few months. Three times we have shared favorites now. Aurora 1495/1994, La Flor Dominicana C.C. #1. and now Nording. Hmmm, were you adopted ?
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:

The box I got today had a labell that said 06/31/08. So it looks like they have at least six months on them already. I can't wait to start empting that box. Nording is really my favorite Patel too, and I probably would never have tried them without your help. I better stop talking about them or they will be impossible to find in a few months. Three times we have shared favorites now. Aurora 1495/1994, La Flor Dominicana C.C. #1. and now Nording. Hmmm, were you adopted ?
    Well, my family is from Chicago...perhaps related? :)
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:

I am beginning to have some serious concerns. ...Finally, a relative I like !!
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:

haha. I'd find it equally amazing to find a relative I actually had something in common with. See ya at the next family reunion. :)
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:

haha. I'd find it equally amazing to find a relative I actually had something in common with. See ya at the next family reunion. :)
    I'll bring the Cigars...
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for the warm welcome.
    I've only been smoking cigars for about two months now.
    I was a cigarette smoker for six years but quit two years ago and have absolutely no regrets about that.
    However, I find I really enjoy the flavor and smell of a cigar.
    The first cigar that I started smoking often was the Torano Exodus 1959 Silver.  But I lit up an Ashton classic tonight and absolutely loved how mild it was.  At first, I thought it was a little too mild but I'm finding that I really like the flavor.  Very smooth and doesn't give me that spicy feeling in my mouth that makes me feel like I have to keep spitting!

- Shawn
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Welcome Shawn!!

Didnt know what i wanted after dinner so i reached in my humi, blind, and pulled out an Avo Domaine. Started off spicy, the spice mellowed but was there the whole way. Tasty woody nutty flavor with a wee bit of earth. Hit the spot! Burn was gorgeous but 2 inches in it went out with no warning.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I had nothing last night. Just wasn't in the mood for a cigar. I am in the mood for one tonight, but it's 23 degrees out. Maybe I'll pass.