Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin this morning?

Comments

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Just fired up an A. Fuente 8-5-8 maddy. Delicious cigar, but one of the ugliest wrappers I've ever seen. lol
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    Just fired up an A. Fuente 8-5-8 maddy. Delicious cigar, but one of the ugliest wrappers I've ever seen. lol

How was it? Had a RYJ this morning with a vanilla latte.

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    The sun grown is my favorite go to sun grown that I have smoked so far right behind the VSG and Ccom Sun Grown, but I haven't tried all the ones from Greg's Sun Grown Sampler yet ;)

How does the maddie compare to the SG? Liked it better, worse, same?

And Rick, sounds like a really solid combo this morning, glad you could get out and do that my friend! When do you move into the new house, are you guys going to be able to celebrate Xmas in the new digs this year? Best of luck brother!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Smoked a MOW Virtue this morning courtesy 415 while sitting by the pool with a gin and tonic. God I love the Bahamas. Weather here is awesome.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Just finished a calle ocho Connecticut, my first of a bundle I bought, not bad for a cigar and coffee
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Started my vacation off with a Padron 40th with a nice Kona. Off to smoke a Casa Fuente.
  • Options
    RCY Cigars:
    BigT06:

How was it? Had a RYJ this morning with a vanilla latte.

it was very good. Extremely chocolaty and nutty and very smooth. Mild-med in body. Very decedent smoke. It even had a tiny bit of spice heat on the retrohale... not much, but enough to Compliment the profile nicely.
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    BigT06:
    The sun grown is my favorite go to sun grown that I have smoked so far right behind the VSG and Ccom Sun Grown, but I haven't tried all the ones from Greg's Sun Grown Sampler yet ;)

How does the maddie compare to the SG? Liked it better, worse, same?

And Rick, sounds like a really solid combo this morning, glad you could get out and do that my friend! When do you move into the new house, are you guys going to be able to celebrate Xmas in the new digs this year? Best of luck brother!
    I prefer the sun grown 80% of the time. Sometimes, like this morning, I really want a solid, smooth Maddy without going full body... and the 8-5-8stuff Maddy is a perfect fit for those occasions. Totally dif than the sun grown, but very good in its own right.
  • Options
    Gurkha Black Dragon this morning. Still one of my favorite Gurkhas. This Presidente vitola is not my favorite, but hey, for $3 on the sprint, I'm not complaining.
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    Tatuaje Havana VI robusto. I refer to this one as old faithful sometimes.
  • Options
    Having a Davidoff maduro with my cup of Joe. Have to say it. I think I like the Avo maduro better. Will have one this evening to be sure. They are both very good cigars.
  • Options
    RCY Cigars:
    Having a Davidoff maduro with my cup of Joe. Have to say it. I think I like the Avo maduro better. Will have one this evening to be sure. They are both very good cigars.
    I've never had either... is there anything more common that you would compare either of them to?
  • Options
    CAO La Traviata. It's a bit mild for me, but very good taste. This cigar would be great with a White Russian... it's a little early for that though... lol
  • Options
    BigT06:
    RCY Cigars:
    I've never had either... is there anything more common that you would compare either of them to?

First things first, the Davidoff is flavorful and medium - full bodied. Smooth with a razor sharp burn honestly. I think because of the morning, I just wasn't expecting to have that much of a rush. But it is still a Davidoff that's a great cigar. I usually stick to the mild cigars in the morning. The Avo from what I remember is mild for a maduro and smooth. It's similar to the Avo classic robusto also. Just it's richness in flavor is more intensed. Both are box worthy, I would have the Davidoff in the evening. So, with that said. I retrack my last statement from saying the Avo is better. But, that I would prefer each one at different times of the day and pair them with different drinks.

As for a comparison, I can only say for the mild smoothness of the Avo. The only cigar that comes to mind is the Ashton Aged maduro. But even saying that, the ashton was sweeter in flavor. The Davidoff, I can't think of any comparisons. I'm pretty sure some of the other BOTL's in here could tell you. I think Kuzi likes the Davidoff maduro just as well. He could probably tell you if theres anything close to it.

• Options
    RCY Cigars:
    BigT06:
    RCY Cigars:

First things first, the Davidoff is flavorful and medium - full bodied. Smooth with a razor sharp burn honestly. I think because of the morning, I just wasn't expecting to have that much of a rush. But it is still a Davidoff that's a great cigar. I usually stick to the mild cigars in the morning. The Avo from what I remember is mild for a maduro and smooth. It's similar to the Avo classic robusto also. Just it's richness in flavor is more intensed. Both are box worthy, I would have the Davidoff in the evening. So, with that said. I retrack my last statement from saying the Avo is better. But, that I would prefer each one at different times of the day and pair them with different drinks.

As for a comparison, I can only say for the mild smoothness of the Avo. The only cigar that comes to mind is the Ashton Aged maduro. But even saying that, the ashton was sweeter in flavor. The Davidoff, I can't think of any comparisons. I'm pretty sure some of the other BOTL's in here could tell you. I think Kuzi likes the Davidoff maduro just as well. He could probably tell you if theres anything close to it.

Thanks for the info! Have you ever had the CAO that I'm smoking this morning? The La Traviata? It may be right up your alley for a morning maddy...
  • Options
    BigT06:
    RCY Cigars:
    BigT06:
    RCY Cigars:

Thanks for the info! Have you ever had the CAO that I'm smoking this morning? The La Traviata? It may be right up your alley for a morning maddy...

I have some, but have yet to smoke one. Thanks for reminding me, lol. I have yet to smoke that and a Perdomo Lot 23 maduro. Someone said they were going to give me one. So, I have been waiting, lol....

• Options
    RCY Cigars:
    BigT06:
    RCY Cigars:
    BigT06:
    RCY Cigars:

I have some, but have yet to smoke one. Thanks for reminding me, lol. I have yet to smoke that and a Perdomo Lot 23 maduro. Someone said they were going to give me one. So, I have been waiting, lol....

You just let me know what addy they are going to... looks like I need to bump up the date on round 14 ;)
  • Options
    Corazon by Davidoff....It was, eehhh OK... Prob woulda been better had I let it sit a while...just got it 1 week ago.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    RCY Cigars:
    BigT06:
    RCY Cigars:
    BigT06:
    RCY Cigars:

You just let me know what addy they are going to... looks like I need to bump up the date on round 14 ;)
    personally i think the Avo Maduro is the weakest (as far as taste goes) of the Avo line. every one that i have had has very little complexity compared to the rest of the line.
    the Davidoff on the other hand, is the best of the Davidoff line. it is rich, strong and complex.

i have not had a cigar that has what the Davidoff Maduro has. ive had cigars that i like as almost as much.... but none of them have that same flavor profile.
    Hendrik Kelner and Alejandro Robaina have a unique blending style that no other line has.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    BigT06:
    RCY Cigars:
    BigT06:
    RCY Cigars:
    BigT06:
    RCY Cigars:

personally i think the Avo Maduro is the weakest (as far as taste goes) of the Avo line. every one that i have had has very little complexity compared to the rest of the line.
    the Davidoff on the other hand, is the best of the Davidoff line. it is rich, strong and complex.

i have not had a cigar that has what the Davidoff Maduro has. ive had cigars that i like as almost as much.... but none of them have that same flavor profile.
    Hendrik Kelner and Alejandro Robaina have a unique blending style that no other line has.

This is correct, that's why I change my thoughts on it. I just love a mild cigar in the morning. Had the Avo that night and it was a big difference from having them in the morning. But in saying that Kuzi. I would love to see what your opinion would be if you had one in the morning with some coffee or tea. It does make a world of a difference. Even with that, your palate is mature. While I'm still crawling in the wind. And as always, thanks for responding :). Kuzi is the man....BR>
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Yesterday's morning smokes viaje 50/50 red with a glass of Havana club. Followed by a CAO La Traviata maduro and h20
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Unfortunatly not a thing. After the morning I had I wouldn't mind one.
  • Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    Smoking some kind of gurkha, too many in the lineup, can't tell which stick it is. Kinda tasty though.
  • Options
    About to do the Wreaths Across America. If you don't know what this is. It is a time where we, soldier and civilian get to pay respect to the soldiers who have passed on. We go to each head stone and place a wreath for the holidays. Wonderful experience if you haven't had a opportunity to do. But before we get started. I had a chance to smoke a Avo XO with a cup of coffee.
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RCY Cigars:
    About to do the Wreaths Across America. If you don't know what this is. It is a time where we, soldier and civilian get to pay respect to the soldiers who have passed on. We go to each head stone and place a wreath for the holidays. Wonderful experience if you haven't had a opportunity to do. But before we get started. I had a chance to smoke a Avo XO with a cup of coffee.
    Thanks for all that you do for this country Rick.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Smoked my first My Father this morning. Was such a great smoke. The flavors totally revolved from spicy , to an almost bourbon taste , then to pepper. Really enjoyed this stick.
  • Options
    Thanks Smoke, yet today is about these individuals that paid the ultimate price. Or did their service time during their time. Thus really does get me in the holiday spirit. Makes me feel that I'm giving back for good reason. So we won't forget our love ones and friends who served.
  • Options
    slickricslickric Posts: 705
    had me an ashton aged maduro. Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
  • Options
    RCY Cigars:
    Rick, you have a PM
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Perdomo patriarch