Home Trades, Passes and Bombs

Fun and Games

Comments

• BFGarnerBFGarner Posts: 96
    The Alomar Brothers? My side bet was the Bash Brothers
  • bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    I like seeing all these guesses! Just to keep the game moving fast: I've seen the team, and I've even seen the nickname...but I haven't actually seen the names of the two players
    Mark McGwire and Jose Canseco Roberto Alomar and Sandy Alomar Jr My guesses again with full names
    Oh yeah of the Oakland Athletics
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Not to rain on your parade, but you're supposed to have a minimum 25 posts before you can participate. Just fyi.
    Looks like BF got it, but Joe does have a point...the rules state you need either 25 min posts or have your name in the "good traders" thread. I don't think BF meets the requirements...now what do I do?
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    My thought would be post another question..sorry BF post a few more times Bro. and hit it next time..
    lol no problem I just started smoking cigars 3 weeks ago and Ive been using the forums even less. I didn't even know there were rules. But now I know. Knowing is half the battle!!
    BFGarner:
    lol no problem I just started smoking cigars 3 weeks ago and Ive been using the forums even less. I didn't even know there were rules. But now I know. Knowing is half the battle!!
    We all make little mistakes, nothing to worry about. Good call on the question though, that was something I didn't know.

Joe
    Sorry BF...seeing that you are new to cigars and all, I would have liked to have sent you a nice little sampler, but I guess we have to keep the game moving (hope to see you around this thread after you've met the requirements) So another question....keeping with the same theme, who was the first A's pitcher to throw a perfect game (this one goes a little further back) Alright guys, have fun with this one!
    I kinda hate to answer so quickly, as I like to see these games go for a while, but damn it all, I wanna win. :)

But, I think the guy you're looking for is James "Catfish" Hunter who threw a perfect game against the Minnesota Twins in 1968, one of only 17 perfect games in baseball history.

I love baseball trivia.

Joe
    Wow...it took joe a whole 20 minutes to answer this one! Looks like I'll be sending out a package to you in the near future. I'll get you the DC once it is on its way. Go ahead a get another question ready because you are the winner.
    Recieved maduros package today, and also sent out the package for joe. PM's sent to both of ya.
    Awesome, thanks Brian.

Now for my question, I think I'll keep with the baseball theme. This one is a two-parter: What is my favorite baseball team, and who from that team is my favorite player? Here are some starter hints to narrow things down.

1: This is a national league team.

2: The player in question is retired now, but has been recognized as one of the best second-basemen of all time.

If no one gets this within a couple days, hints will follow as needed. Please one guess per person per 24 hour period, thanks and happy bidding :).

Joe
    Hey Joe My guess would be San Diego Padres as the team, Roberto Alomar as the man!
    Good guess, but wrong on all accounts. No cigar for this man! :)
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Chicago Cubs, Ryne Sandberg.
    Scrambler you stole my next guess, I figured a guy from California would not cheer for beloved Cubs ( best team in B.B. right now). so my first choice was Padres and WRONG.. well good luck to you.
    Scrambler:
    Chicago Cubs, Ryne Sandberg.
    You got it buddy. Pm me your address and I'll get a little somethin' out to ya Monday.

kaspera, my parents are both from Illinois, so I'm an inherent Cubby fan, even though I'm more than half the country away. And Ryno was my favorite player to watch when I was a little kid, he was probably towards the tail end of his career by then, but he was my favorite all the same. However, the Padres are my California team.

Joe.
    SON OF A ..... My favorite team and player too Besides Banks, Santo, Williams, Jenkins, Huntley, Kessinger,Monday, Papas, Hand, Pepitone, Hickman, Beckert, Rudolph, if you know baseball you will recognize that line-up..I have watched these guys since i have been ten years old.. I can't believe it...By the way the announcer for the Cubs Len Kasper, any connection ( you think)..
    I'm not familiar with all of those players, but it sounds like a late 60's lineup going by some of the players I do know. That's a few years before my time to say the least. Speaking of announcers, probably one of my favorite people associated with the Cubs was good old Harry Caray and his seventh inning stretch. Now there's one of a kind in that man, just don't get announcers like him anymore.
    Yeah Joe,, Harry was the kind of guy that enjoyed the game, the fans,just being at the park. He would walk around the park before the game, meeting the fans. when the park opened he would be right there in the seats he loved the cubs.. His son took over for a while but that didn't work out, the funny thing is my father in law looked just like him, and people would ask him all the time if he was Harry. The answer is the early 70's line up for the cubs.
    Alright, time for my question. To stick with the theme, guess my favorite baseball team, and my favorite player from the team when I was growing up.

Hints:

Team:
    has won a World Series.
    is an expansion team.

Player:
    accomplished something done by only 19 other players.
    was active through most of the 90's.

More hints to follow if necessary.
    wish I could guess lol
    No guesses? It can't be that hard, only 6 expansion teams have won a World Series...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Wait,wait. You said your favorite player was on the expansion team in the 90's? Or was he just in the league in the 90's?
    The player was in the leaugue for nearly all of the 90's. Several of these years were with the team in question.

Another hint, the player served 2 seperate stints with this team.
    Scrambler, your package is in the system and on its way to you, check you inbox for DC #.

Joe
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    FL Marlins and Gary Sheffield?
    Nope, this team was one of the expansion teams added in the 60's.