Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    j0z3r:
    I wasn't aware that La Aurora made the 1495 in different wrappers. Might be worth looking into if that's the case.

There were 5 sticks in the sampler all different wrappers I believe. Will look closer next time in there....advertised as how wrapper affects taste though...
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Had a sweet little kick in the pants tonight - La Aroma de Cuba Edicion Especial. Construction was poor, but it still burned great. And had a great cedary flavor. Not one I'd want to have lots of on hand, but definitely a decent smoke with a little umph to it.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    j0z3r:
    I wasn't aware that La Aurora made the 1495 in different wrappers. Might be worth looking into if that's the case.
    Yeah, I have seen the sampler. I think there is like 5 or 6 different wrappers.

Smoked an Upmann Demitasse and then a 5 Vegas Limitada 2008. I like the 2007 a lot more. The 2008 isn't bad but not as tasty as 2007.
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    So I tried to smoke the CAO Gold Maduro. What a disappointment. The draw, burn,and overall construction were great, but it was sooo bland. If I concentrated I could pick up some unlit tobacco notes but it was so uncomplex. I mean Ive had simple cigars before but simple and uncomplex are way different. Ill put it like this: when my wife kissed me afterward she tasted the root beer i drank instead of the cigar!
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Just smoked my first CAO black robusto and really enjoyed it. Of course I had a tumbler of vodka to go with it. Since I'm sort of a noob to cigars, based on the enjoyment of this stick, do you all have a recommendations of others I may try? Jeff
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Two smoke day for me. I had a Avo Maduro today while hitting some golf balls on the range. NIce pleasant smoke with the cocoa sweetness and the seemingly classic mineral quality of Dominican filler. Tonight I'm smoking a Padilla Achilles Salomon. First time with this Padilla and it is very pleasant. Only a little spicy throughout but nice earthiness.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Today was a Fuente 8-5-8 flor fina early in the day, a ccom Blue Label churchill and a Joya de Nicaragua Antaño belicoso, awesome stick. All good cigars, nice weekend of smokes...just gotta make it through the week to do it all over again.
  • Options
    Joel_H.Joel_H. Posts: 101
    I smoked a nub connecticut this morning on my sunday drive, overall a good mild smoke with a bit of spice/pepper flavor. I took it right down to the "nub" as far as my fingers would allow so it must have been pretty good.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Urbs, I had a Monte White, wow I forgot how nice these guys were. Had a get together with my neighbors and they were all enjoying the aroma as much as I was enjoying the cigar. I might have to invest in a box of these.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Thanks to Urbs, I had a Monte White, wow I forgot how nice these guys were. Had a get together with my neighbors and they were all enjoying the aroma as much as I was enjoying the cigar. I might have to invest in a box of these.

Squirrel you are a box buyin' fool....where do you keep all these sticks???
  • Options
    In his cheeks!!!
  • Options
    A walk in Squirrels nest !!!
  • Options
    ShawnJShawnJ Posts: 65
    Started the day with a Cohiba in the cigar lounge - wasn't crazy about it, to be honest. It was acidic and a little harsh. Not really worth the $14 I paid for it. Could be I'm just not in to that particular flavor. Later in the evening I had a CAO Criollo and then a Carlos Torano Casa Torano. Last night I smoked the Man 'O War - wasn't crazy about that one either. It was a very dry smoke. Kind of gives you the feeling that you're drinking a very dry glass of red wine. Not a bad flavor, but it was just...really dry. Not sweet or spicy really. Not my favorite.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I like the Cohiba red dot, but they are decidedly overpriced.

Glad you enjoyed the Monte, feebs.

Nothing for me tonight. Too cold and windy out.
  • Options
    urbino:

Jeezers-snowed on the mtn today !!!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    ShawnJ:
    Started the day with a Cohiba in the cigar lounge - wasn't crazy about it, to be honest. It was acidic and a little harsh. Not really worth the $14 I paid for it. Could be I'm just not in to that particular flavor. Later in the evening I had a CAO Criollo and then a Carlos Torano Casa Torano. Last night I smoked the Man 'O War - wasn't crazy about that one either. It was a very dry smoke. Kind of gives you the feeling that you're drinking a very dry glass of red wine. Not a bad flavor, but it was just...really dry. Not sweet or spicy really. Not my favorite.
    What the ... Geez Shawn it may be time to go to something reliable or we may lose you.. Did you like the Torano ?? I always have good luck with them..
  • Options
    Yeah I love pretty much anything by Torano :) The Casa Torano is a great mild smoke - there were only three left in the box so I bought the last three. I told the guy I would buy a box if he gets in an order of robustos. Right now, there are four cigars that I'm smoking the most of - my regular smokes : CAO MX2, Carlos Torano Casa Torano, Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic, and the Oliva Serie G. But, obviously, I'll smoke anything you give me. My pallet is just telling me what I like and what I really don't care for.
  • Options
    Started last night with a AB Tempus. Not my taste but not bad. I could deal with it. I have a few left. Then I had a 5 Vegas Relic. I was not digging this cigar at all. Once in a while I would get a good taste but there was very little of that taste. For the most part, I just tasted smoke. Have a few more of these too.. Let's see if age fixes any issues. Maybe it was too strong for me and that is why I was having trouble with the taste.
  • Options
    Just finished an Oliva Serie O robusto. Flavor was OK, produced lots of smoke, no major burn problems, construction was decent, but the draw was way loose. I like a little bit of resistance, but this was not much different than regular breathing.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I had a couple smokes this week and was going to have another last night but things didn't work out for that. I did however smoke a Leon Jimenez series 300 and it was a good flavorful smoke! Great burn and perfect draw. It was a small ring gauge but burned cool all the way.

Also had an Onyx that I have had for about 11 months and as always a great smoke. No burn issues, great draw, great smoke overall. I've never had any kinds of problems with these smokes. I'm sad that it was my last one on hand.
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    urbino:

Try the La Herencia Cubana. I found it to be almost identical to the Red Dot and a helluva lot cheaper.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    Started last night with a AB Tempus. Not my taste but not bad. I could deal with it. I have a few left. Then I had a 5 Vegas Relic. I was not digging this cigar at all. Once in a while I would get a good taste but there was very little of that taste. For the most part, I just tasted smoke. Have a few more of these too.. Let's see if age fixes any issues. Maybe it was too strong for me and that is why I was having trouble with the taste.
    I had one last night while BBQing and liked it but it was just shipped. I think with some resting time they will be quite tasty. I also had a Gurkha Green Dragon which I liked. Again some resting time will help it but nonetheless I liked it.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    I had one last night while BBQing and liked it but it was just shipped. I think with some resting time they will be quite tasty. I also had a Gurkha Green Dragon which I liked. Again some resting time will help it but nonetheless I liked it.
    You know, a few months may do it some good. So, I'm keeping an open mind.

Not sure if I will smoke tonight. I have to write a rough draft tonight that I have to hand in tomorrow to my class team. I haven't written a word yet. Final paper is due next week. I did however make another purchase today and yesterday. I got myself some 5 Vegas Gold Torpedos, 2 Gurkha Beautys, 2 Gurkha Signature 1887 Maduros, a box of Oliva Serie 'V' Maduro, 2 Oliva Special 'S', 2 Don Carlos No. 2 and 4 Arturo Fuente Privada #1 - Candelas. Also ordered 5 Gurkha Dragon Furys and 5 Dragon Fires last week. Looks like I will have to purchase a new tupperdor. Can't get any more humidors.
  • Options
    brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    I'm smoking an El Rey de los Habanos that I picked up at a local B&M. It's not very pretty to look at, but it's pretty tasty and has a good draw.
  • Options
    iwsmith2iwsmith2 Posts: 65
    I smoked an Ashton VSG Illusion that i bought from the B&M today. Probably my favorite cigar at this point in time. First time i've been to this B&M, and I ended up there because one of my clients is a regular there and wrote me a script (he is a doctor) for some cigars from there. I bought him one each of his favorites that i'm giving to him tomorrow. Great place, definately going back there. I then smoked a Cohiba red dot Toro at my cigar bar. Great cigar, definately smoking more.
  • Options
    Ended up having a 5 Vegas shorty tonight. Smoked it while driving. I must say that I have never had the amout of tar buildup that I had with this cigar. It all came at once and it was a freakin lot!!!!! It's too cold to go outside and smoke anymore tonight. Tomorrow is a different story.
  • Options
    Second day in a row no smokey ....too busy too cold ....maybe tommorrow after the predators meet er uh ummm ...I meant managers meeting ....
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I'm about to light up a Carlos Torano Exodus Gold. A good cigar for a pretty good price.
  • Options
    Yes - the Exodus gold is a great cigar. I like the Silver a little better. It's one of my favorite cigars but hard to find around here. If you haven't tried the Carlos Torano Virtuoso yet...try it. It's awesome. I had an Oliva Serie G this afternoon and then tonight I had a Primos - It was a little too strong and it was too cold outside so I didn't finish it. I guess Primos is a boutique brand that comes in bundles. I just picked one up because it was cheap. Not bad. Not great. I never go wrong with an Oliva Serie G though. Really...anything from Oliva I'll enjoy.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    ShawnJ:
    Yes - the Exodus gold is a great cigar. I like the Silver a little better. It's one of my favorite cigars but hard to find around here. If you haven't tried the Carlos Torano Virtuoso yet...try it. It's awesome. I had an Oliva Serie G this afternoon and then tonight I had a Primos - It was a little too strong and it was too cold outside so I didn't finish it. I guess Primos is a boutique brand that comes in bundles. I just picked one up because it was cheap. Not bad. Not great. I never go wrong with an Oliva Serie G though. Really...anything from Oliva I'll enjoy.
    I've had the Silver as well. Great smoke. I haven't tried the Virtuoso, but I'll definitely add it to my list.