Home General Discussion
Options

Two cents...

Comments

• Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    danielruas:
    I'd love more debate on these forums. I personally do a hell of a lot more reading than I do posting always have probably always will. But I must say I'm definitely seeing a change in the forums now and aside from the everyone agreeing with everyone else on everything there is a ton of fluff posts that add no value to the forum, I'm sorry and I'm not trying to call anyone in particular out but when you're at over a 1,000 posts and you've been here a month or two I can't imagine most of it has value. I'm not trying to say that everything I post has value but I'm not in every thread adding a comment.
    this is something i have never understood......what does it hurt if someone posts a +1 or agreed or whatever? I don't understand what it hurts to have those posts in there. Does it have to do with post count and it's relation to respect on the forum because of it?
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    alienmisprint:
    Somewhat related, but I was curious. I've seen reference to FOGs a few times. Who are the FOGs? Is it everyone who joined before X date? In this thread alone there are people that joined in every year from 2008 to 2013, so where's the line? I did take a hiatus for about a year and a half or so, was there some divide that happened while I was away that I am unaware of? Obviously I notice quite a few of the regulars from before I slacked off were no longer here, but even when I was active for the first three years or so, people would fall of the face of the earth, so I figured that their absence was just the normaly type of people leaving, only accumulated over a year and a half. Is there some divide between the FOGs and newbies?
    Not sure you can put a date on it but I think the divide is highlighted when a FOG says something like - “This forum used to be so great, but then new guys joined and they don't behave like I think they should so,........lately,........ the forum sucks.” LOL
    Bob, where's the butt-hurt coming from, man? You seem to take things so personally! I said nothing like that. I merely tried to put my finger on a change I sensed and open a discussion on whether its the best thing for the forum as a whole. I was clearly not the only one with this sense. I never placed blame. I never said it used to be better. I said it's different and something made it that way. I'd blame Kuzi and Maduro for backing away as much as I blame those that PM'd them and made them do it, but I'm not looking to blame. And I never, *EVER* would try to tell someone to behave how I think they should. That's insane.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    brianetz1:
    madurofan:

Here is a problem to me. Why are these convos happening in PMs? That's the intentional exclusion of people. I mean there are things that can and should be discussed in PMs but it seems like the same thing being discussed on this thread is being discussed in PMs. I don't know I just think that's fueling the issue.

Because i wanted to get a trusted FOG who is involved in this convo's take on something outside of this conversation to make sure i was reading things correctly. It turns out that I wasn't. Sometimes things like that come up. There are always going to be things that people will talk personally about that they won't bring up in a group setting.

i can't answer your last question because personally i have never had that happen to me, but then again, i don't get involved in hard core cigar discussions like that because i have only been into the hobby side of things for a year.
    Whatever the intention, and it seems like it was good, it really sours a thread like this to appear to emerge from a dark and smokey room, refer to a "couple of PMs" and then speak as "we."
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    brianetz1:
    madurofan:

Here is a problem to me. Why are these convos happening in PMs? That's the intentional exclusion of people. I mean there are things that can and should be discussed in PMs but it seems like the same thing being discussed on this thread is being discussed in PMs. I don't know I just think that's fueling the issue.

Because i wanted to get a trusted FOG who is involved in this convo's take on something outside of this conversation to make sure i was reading things correctly. It turns out that I wasn't. Sometimes things like that come up. There are always going to be things that people will talk personally about that they won't bring up in a group setting.

i can't answer your last question because personally i have never had that happen to me, but then again, i don't get involved in hard core cigar discussions like that because i have only been into the hobby side of things for a year.
    Whatever the intention, and it seems like it was good, it really sours a thread like this to appear to emerge from a dark and smokey room, refer to a "couple of PMs" and then speak as "we."
    ......i didnt PM a single newbie.....not one....the PMs i am referring to were to Kuzi so i can work out how the forum used to be vs. what it is now and also to work out the cliquish behavior since I didn't see one shred of evidence for it. All i was getting when I asked about where the cliques were was statements like "they are there you just don't see it" He gave me a little guidance to what was being discussed.

The We was based off of the reaction that most of the newer members had within the first few pages of this thread.

so i think you are REALLY reading into what goes on via PMs.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    alienmisprint:
    Somewhat related, but I was curious. I've seen reference to FOGs a few times. Who are the FOGs? Is it everyone who joined before X date? In this thread alone there are people that joined in every year from 2008 to 2013, so where's the line? I did take a hiatus for about a year and a half or so, was there some divide that happened while I was away that I am unaware of? Obviously I notice quite a few of the regulars from before I slacked off were no longer here, but even when I was active for the first three years or so, people would fall of the face of the earth, so I figured that their absence was just the normaly type of people leaving, only accumulated over a year and a half. Is there some divide between the FOGs and newbies?
    Not sure you can put a date on it but I think the divide is highlighted when a FOG says something like - “This forum used to be so great, but then new guys joined and they don't behave like I think they should so,........lately,........ the forum sucks.” LOL
    Bob, where's the butt-hurt coming from, man? You seem to take things so personally! I said nothing like that. I merely tried to put my finger on a change I sensed and open a discussion on whether its the best thing for the forum as a whole. I was clearly not the only one with this sense. I never placed blame. I never said it used to be better. I said it's different and something made it that way. I'd blame Kuzi and Maduro for backing away as much as I blame those that PM'd them and made them do it, but I'm not looking to blame. And I never, *EVER* would try to tell someone to behave how I think they should. That's insane.
    Do I ? Do I take things too personally? Really? Is that what I'm known for? LOL I'm not hurt (much). LOL come on. It's just a little joke. But I do get that vibe from a few FOGs posts in this thread. (And I LOVE you FOGs, don't get me wrong. I really do.) but I can't help but get that vibe as y'all lament the changes that y'all see and the absence of the old guys you used to have around, and y'all point out certain things the new guys are doing. Come on, Am I the only one to get that vibe from FOGs in this thread? And no, I didn't take it personally. I'm good
  • Options
    brianetz1:
    Ken Light:
    brianetz1:
    madurofan:

......i didnt PM a single newbie.....not one....the PMs i am referring to were to Kuzi so i can work out how the forum used to be vs. what it is now and also to work out the cliquish behavior since I didn't see one shred of evidence for it. All i was getting when I asked about where the cliques were was statements like "they are there you just don't see it" He gave me a little guidance to what was being discussed.

The We was based off of the reaction that most of the newer members had within the first few pages of this thread.

so i think you are REALLY reading into what goes on via PMs.
    Right, which is the problem with PM's being referred to like this, they can only be read into. Like I said I think your intent was good, I don't think you're conspiring in the shadows, I'm just telling you you're giving off that vibe. I wouldn't tell you if I thought it was on purpose! lol
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    alienmisprint:
    Do I ? Do I take things too personally? Really? Is that what I'm known for? LOL I'm not hurt (much). LOL come on. It's just a little joke. But I do get that vibe from a few FOGs posts in this thread. (And I LOVE you FOGs, don't get me wrong. I really do.) but I can't help but get that vibe as y'all lament the changes that y'all see and the absence of the old guys you used to have around, and y'all point out certain things the new guys are doing. Come on, Am I the only one to get that vibe from FOGs in this thread? And no, I didn't take it personally. I'm good
    i had a whole post written out and then i didnt post it because i figured you would reply.....i totally agree. it sucks being a newer member when members who have been here for years are saying how the forum has changed for the worse recently and then you look around and realize they are talking about you.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    alienmisprint:
    Do I ? Do I take things too personaly? Really? Is that what I'm known for? LOL I'm not hurt (much). LOL come on. It's just a little joke. But I do get that vibe from a few FOGs posts in this thread. (And I LOVE you FOGs, don't get me wrong. I really do.) but I can't help but get that vibe as y'all lament the changes that y'all see and the absense of the old guys you used to have around, and y'all point out certain things the new guys are doing. Come on, Am I the only one to get that vibe from FOGs in this thread? And no, I didn't take it personally. I'm good.
    Quite the opposite man. I can't speak for other people but my point was that "the new guys" since you're intent on creating this divide, are **** that we still do things the way we have for over 6 years. Some of us even go back to the forum that existed here before this one. I'm not trying to come back after all this time and reclaim the forum or anything just sharing my opinion on why you've seen less of me over the past couple years.
  • Options
    brianetz1:
    Bob Luken:
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    alienmisprint:
    i had a whole post written out and then i didnt post it because i figured you would reply.....i totally agree. it sucks being a newer member when members who have been here for years are saying how the forum has changed for the worse recently and then you look around and realize they are talking about you.
    Brian, if I was talking about you, I'd tell you. To your face. In PM or on the open forum if it wasn't too big. I'm talking about no one in particular. I can't say that enough, apparently, because no one reads it when I type it.
  • Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob Luken:
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    alienmisprint:
    For what it's worth, I got the vibe too. IMO, it doesn't make a damn what something use to be in the past bc it is exactly that. The past.
  • Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the end of the day, this is an internet forum. Let's go burn some leaves. :)
  • Options
    danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    brianetz1:
    danielruas:
    I'd love more debate on these forums. I personally do a hell of a lot more reading than I do posting always have probably always will. But I must say I'm definitely seeing a change in the forums now and aside from the everyone agreeing with everyone else on everything there is a ton of fluff posts that add no value to the forum, I'm sorry and I'm not trying to call anyone in particular out but when you're at over a 1,000 posts and you've been here a month or two I can't imagine most of it has value. I'm not trying to say that everything I post has value but I'm not in every thread adding a comment.
    this is something i have never understood......what does it hurt if someone posts a +1 or agreed or whatever? I don't understand what it hurts to have those posts in there. Does it have to do with post count and it's relation to respect on the forum because of it?
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with posting a +1 or agreed on a post I've done it myself but that's when I genuinely agree or something I'm not doing it on every other thread to pad my post count, I could care less about my post count I've been on here for a couple years and tons of people still don't know me and that's fine because those who I've interacted with our interaction may have actually had some value, they don't know me because my name pops up in every single thread throughout the day.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    brianetz1:
    Bob Luken:
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    alienmisprint:
    Brian, if I was talking about you, I'd tell you. To your face. In PM or on the open forum if it wasn't too big. I'm talking about no one in particular. I can't say that enough, apparently, because no one reads it when I type it.
    ken it's not just this thread. Or this one time. I am generalizing here, but it is the "way" that the guys who have been around a few years look at this place. There is always remarks about the good old days before UHF and how this place is just not as good as it once was. At some point the new guys get a little self conscious. Then we get a thread like this where anyone with a join date of pre 2011 chimes in on the negative side of things. It semi-forces us to go....wait, am I the issue here?
  • Options
    brianetz1:
    Ken Light:
    brianetz1:
    Bob Luken:
    Ken Light:
    Bob Luken:
    alienmisprint:
    ken it's not just this thread. Or this one time. I am generalizing here, but it is the "way" that the guys who have been around a few years look at this place. There is always remarks about the good old days before UHF and how this place is just not as good as it once was. At some point the new guys get a little self conscious. Then we get a thread like this where anyone with a join date of pre 2011 chimes in on the negative side of things. It semi-forces us to go....wait, am I the issue here?
    Ah. As hypocritical as it may be, PM incoming.
  • Options
    This is kinda funny because I was going to suggest, mostly tongue-in-cheek, that the difference between FOG and n00b is those that were here for the last exodus and those that can't wait for the next.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielruas:
    brianetz1:
    danielruas:
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with posting a +1 or agreed on a post I've done it myself but that's when I genuinely agree or something I'm not doing it on every other thread to pad my post count, I could care less about my post count I've been on here for a couple years and tons of people still don't know me and that's fine because those who I've interacted with our interaction may have actually had some value, they don't know me because my name pops up in every single thread throughout the day.
    Hell, I thought you were DanielReyes a few times I seen you post lol :) just kidding. I've always wanted to threadjack a post. Back to normal debate guys.
  • Options
    danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    Glock1975:
    danielruas:
    brianetz1:
    danielruas:
    Hell, I thought you were DanielReyes a few times I seen you post lol :) just kidding. I've always wanted to threadjack a post. Back to normal debate guys.
    That's happened more than once haha.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielruas:
    Glock1975:
    danielruas:
    brianetz1:
    danielruas:
    Lol just trying lighten things up bro.
  • Options
    Glock1975:
    danielruas:
    Glock1975:
    danielruas:
    brianetz1:
    danielruas:
    Lol just trying lighten things up bro.
    LoL nicely done!
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's Mine....

Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    MVW67:
    Here's Mine....

I count 4 cents there, sir. ;D But they're a cool 4 cents!
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    This is kinda funny because I was going to suggest, mostly tongue-in-cheek, that the difference between FOG and n00b is those that were here for the last exodus and those that can't wait for the next.
    Now that's funny right there.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    MVW67:
    Here's Mine....

It's front and back of the same coin, 2 cents, jeez dude you can't even get that right ... ;)
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Ken Light:
    MVW67:
    Here's Mine....

It's front and back of the same coin, 2 cents, jeez dude you can't even get that right ... ;)
    witchcraft!
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Ken Light:
    madurofan:
    Ken Light:
    MVW67:
    Here's Mine....

witchcraft!
    I see 2 cents. CCOM math style.
  • Options
    WaltBasil:
    Ken Light:
    madurofan:
    Ken Light:
    MVW67:
    Here's Mine....

witchcraft!
    if it was ccom math style that would about 12 cents
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glock1975:
    danielruas:
    brianetz1:
    danielruas:
    Daniel Reyes as in danielzreyes? The jerk that only posts about sock porn, boobies and food ... Daniel Reyes?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    Glock1975:
    danielruas:
    brianetz1:
    danielruas:
    Daniel Reyes as in danielzreyes? The jerk that only posts about sock porn, boobies and food ... Daniel Reyes?
    and how awesome it is to have Albert Pujols' contract around for years to come
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    WaltBasil:
    Ken Light:
    madurofan:
    Ken Light:
    MVW67:
    Here's Mine....

witchcraft!
    if it was ccom math style that would about 12 cents
    IDK Brian....
    I'm pretty sure in CCOM math, 2 cents looks like this....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    I agree with this. And I feel like this thread has had its effect in that nature already. its way more quiet in here then normal. everybody is just sitting down and being quiet with one eye on the warden.

Aj