Home Pipes
Options

What is in your pipe?

Comments

• Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Deep Hallow. I like this stuff but it pisses me off. good flavor, nice virginias... but **** burn performance. out the tin, bite city! dried and dried lovely bite free taste but refuses to stay lit. agh the journy to the perfect tobacco is a long and windy road.

Aj
    I have some blends that will not smoke well in certain pipes, for example the 1-Q will not smoke worth a damn in my Baraccini, pretty much exactly like what your describing here ^ switched pipes and wala! no bite, no gurgle, few relights and I don't even have to dry it! This is something I noticed with a couple of blend/pipe combos, at first I thought maybe I was doing something wrong or had a bum pipe but I think sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right combo. It is an interesting road!
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    roland_7707:
    You guys make me wanna get a pipe.
    It's pretty fun! Sometimes frustrating, but enjoyable.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Deep Hallow. I like this stuff but it pisses me off. good flavor, nice virginias... but **** burn performance. out the tin, bite city! dried and dried lovely bite free taste but refuses to stay lit. agh the journy to the perfect tobacco is a long and windy road.

Aj
    I have some blends that will not smoke well in certain pipes, for example the 1-Q will not smoke worth a damn in my Baraccini, pretty much exactly like what your describing here ^ switched pipes and wala! no bite, no gurgle, few relights and I don't even have to dry it! This is something I noticed with a couple of blend/pipe combos, at first I thought maybe I was doing something wrong or had a bum pipe but I think sometimes it's just a matter of finding the right combo. It is an interesting road!
    I also notice this, some pipes don't seem to want some tobaccos. Itmust have to do with bowl gaugr, depth etc., or so I think, but I can't predict it. Trial & error has been the only way.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    McConnell Scottish cake
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    I just ordered some McClellands Oriental #14, supposed to be navy flake, cavendish, orientals & latakia. I've never had it, but have never been too let down by anything McClelland yet. Anyone with experience with this? I was thinking it would be here tomorrow, but, sadly, it shipped UPS, which means I won't see it before Saturday, maybe not until Monday.
    Well, this arrived over the weekend. First thing I noticed, can wasn't the color I expected. In the CCOM pic it looks kind of coral-pink. Next, upon opening, it's not a flake. Looked back to the picture, thinking either CCOM or I must be confused. Picture as expected, flakes, coral can. Looked at other pictures of orientals, same color as my can. Hmm. Maybe the pictures are mixed up? No, can says #14, both ways.

So, either it's available also as a flake? or there's been a change. Not too big a deal, I guess.

The good news is, I smoked a fresh bowl, and I like this stuff a lot. Very rich and full bodied, without being overpowering. There is a, ...hmm, I think the right word for me is "depth", which I'm attributing to the Orientals, a gentle sweetness against which the highlights of the virginias perform. I'm not good at describing these things, but, I like this one very much.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Drew Estate. Central Park Stroll.

Todays smoke was genuinely nice, I dried this stuff for 2 days and i was rewarded with probably one of my top 10 ever smokes. Was it a good time or what? hell yes, fluffy gravity pack with a good char and no relights. creamy cool smoke and chocolate liquor taste. was very very rewarding for once. Smoked out of a 6 dollar rosewood pipe. pure heaven.

Aj
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Smoked Peterson's Sherlock Holmes this morning. Just had a small bowl of G&H's Kendal KY.
  • Options
    Orlik Golden slice. Perfect every time.

Enough aros for me... im going back to regular stuff for awhile. Aros can be so fusterating.

Aj
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Smoked more c&d changers cake...always good but does need to dry some befor smoking
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    C&D Big & Burley. This is some great stuff, and his a pretty darn good Nic kick!

Aj
  • Options
    Petersons Holiday Season 2014
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    How is it, I have 2013 stored away for special occasions and it was superb.
  • Options
    LANE HGL. I like this stuff, easy lat when im in the mood for mindless enjoyment.

Aj
  • Options
    slamb@cigar.com:
    How is it, I have 2013 stored away for special occasions and it was superb.
    I like it. There are a whole lot of subtleties happening with this one, nothing that really stands out and says this is what it is, there is a chocolate note that is the most identifiable for me. overall it's very smooth and rich and the room note is Awesome.
  • Options
    Frog Morton.

Aj
  • Options
    amz1301amz1301 Posts: 1,299
    Been awhile. Some Holiday Spirit 2014 the other night.

photo C59EAC1B-1910-4204-908D-911EE91C3FFB_zpsgxodub1u.jpg
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    amz1301:
    Been awhile. Some Holiday Spirit 2014 the other night.

photo C59EAC1B-1910-4204-908D-911EE91C3FFB_zpsgxodub1u.jpg
    Hip Hip Hoorayyy, Three cheers for AMZ!!! Very Nice!
  • Options
    G&H's Brown Irish X.
  • Options
    DE Heirloom cherry that Stubble was kind enough to send a sample of. This the only cherry that I've tried so far and not at all what I expected (starburst, popsicle's, Kool-Aid, overpowering) instead I thought it was a subtle well balanced complement, not too sweet, just right. This is not the first time I have been surprised by an aero. I need to get over my preconceived notions and explore this side a bit more.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lane Leo. This is some fantastic stuff.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Borkum Riff Original. Its all I have right now, just gettin into pipes. Really like it though.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    G&H's Kendal Gold. I like the Kendal line, but this one seems to be an exception. I will report back after another oz or two.
  • Options
    Just ordered some Magnum Opus, and a new Stanwell Silkebrun pipe. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

• Options
    I love Magnum O! They used to sell it in bulk and I have maybe another 8oz. in the cellar. I would love to be the bulk back, then I would order more. You will like it now and really enjoy it with about 10 months or so on it.
  • Options
    What do you do with tobacco that you either dont like or have just grown out of?
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    you can pay it forward, and pass it along to someone that needs it or would appreciate it more, or you can also doctorate it up to make it more enjoyable for you.
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    slamb@cigar.com:
    you can pay it forward, and pass it along to someone that needs it or would appreciate it more, or you can also doctorate it up to make it more enjoyable for you.
    I was gonna ask that very question!! Is it ok to mix tobaccos together? Im new as hell but havin a ball trying to figure this out!!
  • Options
    yea it sure is. Just do some lite research into the types of tobacco and see what works best for you.
  • Options
    Can youmix a flake and say a ribbon cut? How would you pack it?
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    Sure can, cube cut the flake, gravity feed the pipe as per usual.