Home Ratings & Reviews

Love the Gurkhas

I just wanted to say that I have been smoking cigars for a little over a year now.  Last christmas I bought the super premium cigar sampler with the Gurkhas and Graycliffs.  I am now a die hard Gurkha fan.  I haven't smoked a Gurkha that I diden't enjoy.  There is just something about the full flavor and rich smoke that I haven't been able to match with a different brand yet.  If you haven't wanted to spend the money on a really good cigar, I suggest that you do for these.  Also it seems that there are good sampler deals here at Cigar.com all the time.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Gurkhas are pretty good, I'll agree with you there, and ccom has had some phenomenal deals lately, namely the Centurian deal and the Titan deal.

Welcome to the forums, stick around and post some more, its always nice to get some new input from fresh faces.

Joe
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    tpgoat:
    I just wanted to say that I have been smoking cigars for a little over a year now.  Last christmas I bought the super premium cigar sampler with the Gurkhas and Graycliffs.  I am now a die hard Gurkha fan.  I haven't smoked a Gurkha that I diden't enjoy.  There is just something about the full flavor and rich smoke that I haven't been able to match with a different brand yet.  If you haven't wanted to spend the money on a really good cigar, I suggest that you do for these.  Also it seems that there are good sampler deals here at Cigar.com all the time.
    Hey tpgoat.. welcome to the forum.. Yeah I like alot of the Gurkha stuff from the two buck sherpas, to the higher end Titan, Beauties and Beast..I do take advantage of the sampler deals and you should join the cigar of the month club because the first month is a gurkha sampler that you can not miss..
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forum.

I am a Gurkha fan as well. I haven't found a bad one yet. Definitely check out the COTM club and watch the Friday deals as . A couple months ago, they had a Gurkha deal that was out of this world. It was 4 each of 5 different Gurkhas. 20 sticks for $60.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I am THE gurkha fan. i agree with you that Gurkha puts out some damn fine cigars.

just for the sake of asking...
    what do you think of Rocky Patel's cigars and blends?
    If you have not tried them, for science's sake, you should. I would be very interested in your opunion on them.
  • rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    ^^^

Here we go again. LOL
    but its not for an argument. its purely to find out if this is a theme throughout the cigar world. you know, like in the cigarette world it would be camel vs. marlboro. (both an abomination to tobacco but you know what im sayin)
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Are the Gurkhas like RPs. I have had the acouple of the RPs but no Gurkhas. I just ordered Friday's special and the Gurkha special they had in the check-out. So I will be getting some Gurkha Titans and Turks when I get home in a few weeks. What am I in for here? If its anything like the RP Vin 92 or the Edge then I will be pleased.
    they are alike in the same way that Bass Ale and Blue Moon are the same. Both good. both beer. Gurkha And Rocky Patel are both Good -and both cigars. you can tell that the blenders for each have a different way of looking at things. it just seems that those who like one tend to shy away from the other. Personally i like gurkha. other around here like Rocky Patel. a few like both. nobody likes neither.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    they are alike in the same way that Bass Ale and Blue Moon are the same. Both good. both beer. Gurkha And Rocky Patel are both Good -and both cigars. you can tell that the blenders for each have a different way of looking at things. it just seems that those who like one tend to shy away from the other. Personally i like gurkha. other around here like Rocky Patel. a few like both. nobody likes neither.
    Ehhh I've met quite a few old timers that don't like either. I am the other half of the great Gurkha v. RP debate. I'm typically a huge RP fan, some more than others. I like Gurkha but I think they are typically not very complex and while they are sometimes full-bodied they are rarely spicy, which is what I enjoy.

P.S. I smoked a Gurkha Park Avenue and a RP Sungrown today. The Sun Grown has been aging for 7 months while the Park Avenue had only a few weeks in the humi. THe Park Avenue actually had a nice spice for what ccom was calling a mild cigar, I thoroughly enjoyed it sitting on the front porch of my beach house. The RP was my evening smoke, it was one of those rare 2 stick day. The RP burned beautifully(so did the Park Avenue btw). The Sun Grown was a powerful smoke but it unfortunately got harsh a few times, I was able to blow it out and clear that bitterness. Otherwise it was a classic Sun Grown, excellent.
    madurofan:
    Ehhh I've met quite a few old timers that don't like either.
    yeah... well... you just hang out with weird-os!!!
    in all reality, you keep mentioning that you hang out with these old time cigar people. what do they like?
    The B&M I hang out at has a lot of old timers that hang out up there. They all like different stuff I guess. Of the few I've talked to extensively one, aside from ISOMs, smokes mostly Davidoffs. THe other is a Padron guy, nothing but Padron and occasionally a ISOM Montecristo. Both of these guys hate Gurkha and one said RP has one or two ok sticks, the other said Rocky was a salesman not a tobacco man.
    So I probably won't like the Gurkhas. Are these better after resting/ageing for a longer time. If I don't like them someone my get a nice pass. Either way, smoke and learn, thats part of the smoking experiance.
    he is a sales man. ill give them that but he does make some good stuff.
    iduno. they sound like a bunch old guys that are a bit set in their ways. not that there is anything wrong with that, but gurkha is a newer cigar and it may appeal to some newer tastes. when you have an established taste profile that you look for you tend to want to smoke that. Davidoff and Padron both produce cigars that are very classic in nature. its no surprise that someone that has been smoking all their long lives would like cigars along those lines.
    when you look at us young folk who have limited exposer to cuban cigars, we would probably tend to like a different style/flavor profile than those who were raised on cubans.

on a semi-related note:
    i was raised on Cincinnati style chilli (mmmm five way) and very few people i know that live outside of that town like it. i bet its kinda like that with cigars too.
    Bad Andy:
    So I probably won't like the Gurkhas. Are these better after resting/ageing for a longer time. If I don't like them someone my get a nice pass. Either way, smoke and learn, thats part of the smoking experiance.
    iduno if you will like em or not. geve em a shot. I like RP. i just htink gurkha is better. Maddy is the other way around. ...and those old people dont like either.

worst case: you dont like it but you had fun tryin em.
    kuzi16:
    iduno. they sound like a bunch old guys that are a bit set in their ways. not that there is anything wrong with that, but gurkha is a newer cigar and it may appeal to some newer tastes. when you have an established taste profile that you look for you tend to want to smoke that. Davidoff and Padron both produce cigars that are very classic in nature. its no surprise that someone that has been smoking all their long lives would like cigars along those lines.
    when you look at us young folk who have limited exposer to cuban cigars, we would probably tend to like a different style/flavor profile than those who were raised on cubans.

on a semi-related note:
    i was raised on Cincinnati style chilli (mmmm five way) and very few people i know that live outside of that town like it. i bet its kinda like that with cigars too.
    Hey Kuzi, make it six ways with the bottle caps ( you must know ) Thats the way to go !!
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:

on a semi-related note:
    Hey Kuzi, make it six ways with the bottle caps ( you must know ) Thats the way to go !!
    uhh ... not too sure what thats all about... then again i am fairly clueless half the time.
    kuzi16:
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:

on a semi-related note:
    uhh ... not too sure what thats all about... then again i am fairly clueless half the time.
    Your five way chilli add jalepino (sp) peppers.. thats the sixth to make it six way..
  • tpgoattpgoat Posts: 3
    I have only had a couple of the RP cigars, and I wasen't super impressed.  I had a 1992 vintage box pressed most recently, and found the flavor a lttle overwhelming.  Not bad, just to much for me at the time.  I hear lots of good things about them and am still willing to give them another try.  Any suggestions?
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:
    kaspera79:
    kuzi16:

on a semi-related note:
    Your five way chilli add jalepino (sp) peppers.. thats the sixth to make it six way..
    must not have been in style when i lived there for the first 18 years of my life, because not only have i never done that, I have never even heard of that.

is that a gold star thing? because i prefer skyline...
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    My wife was in Cinci last week, which means I have to endure her talking about Skyline for the next month. I went to Miami, and was one of the only people to have graduated from that scool without ever trying Skyline. I've had Cincy-style chili a couple times since college, and I just couldn't stand it. Although I don't believe I've ever had Skyline.
    tpgoat:
    I have only had a couple of the RP cigars, and I wasen't super impressed.  I had a 1992 vintage box pressed most recently, and found the flavor a lttle overwhelming.  Not bad, just to much for me at the time.  I hear lots of good things about them and am still willing to give them another try.  Any suggestions?
    If the 92 was overwhelming I'd say you prefer a more mild-medium bodied cigar and should DEFINETLY stay away from RP The Edge and Sun Grown. Look at his Signature Series, Conneticut and Gold. They're all on the milder side. Also IMO the Olde Worlde Reserve and the Decade have a very Gurkha flavor profile.

P.S. I have a 10 pack of Gurkha Triple Ligero's coming my way. I haven't been this excited about a Gurkha since, well ..... EVER! Anyone had one of these?
    P.S. Northerners can't make chili! Just like you can't make BBQ, well actually no one outside of NC and Southern VA knows how to make real pork BBQ. Can I get an Amen!
  • MarkbbMarkbb Posts: 196
    madurofan:
    P.S. Northerners can't make chili! Just like you can't make BBQ, well actually no one outside of NC and Southern VA knows how to make real pork BBQ. Can I get an Amen!
    I beg to differ my friend I make a killer mustard sauce and a vingar finishing sauce for pulled pork, also the brisket will simply melt in your mouth....I have to admit that my forte is BBQ low and slow and smoke most every weekend, should see the look on these Okies face when they try the mustard sauce and finishing sauce....simply finger licking good!!
    LOL I'm just getting a little smack talking going. A mustard sauce actually sounds quite good. Have you ever been blessed with the oppurtunity to try N.C. Style BBQ?
    madurofan:
    tpgoat:
    If the 92 was overwhelming I'd say you prefer a more mild-medium bodied cigar and should DEFINETLY stay away from RP The Edge and Sun Grown. Look at his Signature Series, Conneticut and Gold. They're all on the milder side. Also IMO the Olde Worlde Reserve and the Decade have a very Gurkha flavor profile.

P.S. I have a 10 pack of Gurkha Triple Ligero's coming my way. I haven't been this excited about a Gurkha since, well ..... EVER! Anyone had one of these?
    the triple leigero is on the top of my list for the next time i order cigars.
    madurofan:
    i never said cincinnati chilli was the best. I never said I made good chilli. I just sayin cincinnati chilli is an aquired taste. most likely you gotta grow up there to like it.
    OH HELL NAW!!! lol
    I prefer my Georgia BBQ. The NC BBQ is too vinigary. Can't even taste the meat some times. I have had some BBQ in NY. A place called the Dinosuar in Rochester, only place you can get sweet tea up there.
    madurofan:
    Amen to that one, brother! Amen!
    More on the BBQ... My favorite is the mustard-based sauces. There are actually a couple different NC styles of BBQ -- Eastern NC (vinegar-based.. I never cared for it) and Western NC (tomato-based, sweet and spicy). What the northerners fail to realize, however, is it's not all about the sauce. You've got to do the pork right as well (and you've got to use pork, for the love of Pete!). Pulled pork is the best, but hand-chopped can be good, too. Super-slow roasted whole pig on a spit.

Don't even get me started on the chili. I host an annual party at my place in December featuring my formerly-world-famous chili. And all the Schlitz you can drink :)
    dutyje:
    More on the BBQ... My favorite is the mustard-based sauces. There are actually a couple different NC styles of BBQ -- Eastern NC (vinegar-based.. I never cared for it) and Western NC (tomato-based, sweet and spicy). What the northerners fail to realize, however, is it's not all about the sauce. You've got to do the pork right as well (and you've got to use pork, for the love of Pete!). Pulled pork is the best, but hand-chopped can be good, too. Super-slow roasted whole pig on a spit.

Don't even get me started on the chili. I host an annual party at my place in December featuring my formerly-world-famous chili. And all the Schlitz you can drink :)
    I grew up on eastern NC BBQ, I remember being 10 or 11 and my step-grandmother(from New Jersey) made "BBQ". Out came shredded chicken with store bought BBQ sauce. I got in trouble for telling her I don't know what that is but it ain't BBQ. duty you are right on the money with what I was saying though its more about how the pork is prepared and if it ain't pork it ain't BBQ, SORRY! Second Eastern is all vinegar and is AMAZING however Western is also heavy on the vinegar it just has tomato sauce in it. Vinegar is a necessity.

Will your chili make a grown man cry?