Home Non Cigar Related

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife just surprised me by saying she wants to celebrate our anniversary early this year. We are celebrating in July so my mom (who is a school teacher) can watch the kids. She said she wants to go on some of the bourbon trail!!! Since I am the bourbon drinker, she is letting me plan it out on the condition that we stay at B&Bs vs hotel chains! We are going to do 3 nights and 4 days so I am hoping to finally complete the whole Bourbon Trail in one visit!
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,222 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, great lineup 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn you Irish, you made me pull out the four roses and drink more than necessary on a Monday night!
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't worry about it, you won't be low on Four Roses for long. 

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Got way into bourbon the past several months myself and have grown the collection. Moved to a new house, yes finally a house and not some POS apartment LOL, here is the liquor cabinets... all of the shelving is 3 deep.

EDIT: Apparently I no longer know how to post pics on the new forum layout... SMH

Brett

So....would you recommend the Stagg (barrel proof, correct?) over the EHT barrel proof? The Stagg is~$50 here and the EHT is ~$80. I've had the EHT single barrel and it was good, just maybe not worth the extra money. Would appreciate the opinion of an obvious bourbon connoisseur!
    edited June 2016
    gripnrip said:
    Got way into bourbon the past several months myself and have grown the collection. Moved to a new house, yes finally a house and not some POS apartment LOL, here is the liquor cabinets... all of the shelving is 3 deep.

EDIT: Apparently I no longer know how to post pics on the new forum layout... SMH

Brett

So....would you recommend the Stagg (barrel proof, correct?) over the EHT barrel proof? The Stagg is~$50 here and the EHT is ~$80. I've had the EHT single barrel and it was good, just maybe not worth the extra money. Would appreciate the opinion of an obvious bourbon connoisseur!
    The Stagg JR is a really really good one, the only negative I have against it is that at that proof it does show that it's still young and needs some maturation. It isn't quite as smooth as the EH Taylor but it does have even more character and flavor than the EH Taylor too. If you don't mind proofing it yourself when you pour by adding a very small amount of water it is an excellent option and I would absolutely recommend it :)

For a cheaper barrel proof option that is always terrific I would also point you to Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit. The Kentucky Spirit is one of my all time fav go to drinks and the Rare Breed is just so cheap and so solid and consistent, can be had for around $30 here and Kentucky Spirit around $40-$45. 

Hope that helps ;)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Brett-got some drinkin' to do!
    gripnrip said:
    Thanks Brett-got some drinkin' to do!
    No problem at all happy to help :)

Brett
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    A friend brought this back for me today:

And I also grabbed a bottle of kno.b creek rye

Tonight is my Friday...the libations are just in time for some sitting, puffing and sipping
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    Very cool man congrats! I like me some Japanese single malt on occasion too, have a bottle of Hibiki 12 year that I love :) And that Knob Creek rocks, enjoy :)

Brett
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 16,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay @jarubla ...  have you given the Templeton Rye a try?  It's definitely worth a look.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
    If you can afford it the Angel's Envy Rye is outstanding as well, and my go to fav is Sazerac Rye. 

Brett
    peter4jc said:
    Jay @jarubla ...  have you given the Templeton Rye a try?  It's definitely worth a look.
    Funny you should say that Peter, I had it in my basket but was trying to stay under budget so I ended up putting it back. 

I I will grab it next time!
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    If you can afford it the Angel's Envy Rye is outstanding as well, and my go to fav is Sazerac Rye. 

Brett
    I will keep an eye out Brett--the offerings near me are a wee bit thin. I don't have either of those near me, nor four roses, monkey shoulder, and loads of others.

Time for a road trip!!
    I very nearly grabbed a 17 year Doublewood today. Gonna have to wait a wee bit on that one.
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jarubla I feel your pain.
    Livin in the land of liquor laws is a biotch
    Non Crux sed lux
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    I still think Russell 10 year is a great bourbon for the price
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    jarubla said:
    Grabbed this one this afternoon, gonna open it tonight
    I LOVE this.  I got t in my secret Santa gift.  Sorry to the BOTL that sent it to me.  A few too many tonight to recall who sent.  You are a SAINT man for sending it.  I love it.  Great flavor.  Of course every place around me has been out now for months.
  • Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Brett
    What do you think of that Colonel Taylor?  I picked some up last month.  Took three glasses for me to start to enjoy it.  Not that smooth but growing on me.
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Heaven Hill bourbon. Any thoughts?
    The secret word is cigars! 
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Angels Envy Rye. My fav.
    Finally opened the Kikori, this stuff as a 12 or 15 will be a beaut. In its present form it is raw, with some nice flavors on the palate. Excited to see where they go with this
    GrouchoM said:
    Heaven Hill bourbon. Any thoughts?
    The White Label 6 year is one of my fav all time bourbon and like it more than almost any other in my cabinet, and at only $15/bottle it's one of the best kept secrets in whiskey! I have two bottles, not quite one full bottle between the two. Yes both bottles are open but that's because one cracked and I already had the other open. Just wish I could get this in CO instead of having to have a friend or two ship it to me. 

Brett
    Bobbo2009 said:

Brett
    What do you think of that Colonel Taylor?  I picked some up last month.  Took three glasses for me to start to enjoy it.  Not that smooth but growing on me.
    Well mine is the barrel proof so depends on which one you have. The one I have is outstanding, but I will say that it is an extremely bold flavor very complex and very very deep. It is not by any means as smooth as some of my other barrel proofs but due to the huge flavor and complexity it makes up for that in my mind. I don't reach for it as often since it's not as smooth so I don't drink it daily, but for a special occasion great dram it's one of my go to's for sure. I would compare it a lot to Stagg Jr. I treat both the same, love them but not a regular drink due to just how big they are and that they bite. Hope that helps, I really want to try the other offerings but especially the Straight Rye. 

Brett
    Glock1975 said:
    Angels Envy Rye. My fav.
    Seconded, that is a fantastic drink!!

Brett
  • tabakotabako Posts: 365 ✭✭✭✭
    I have always been thoroughly uninterested in whiskey, but I had a glass of Makers Mark and thought it was a pretty good bourbon. Wondering how it compares to some of these others that have been mentioned, like the Angels Envy?
    Makers is a very solid and reliable bourbon. The part that impresses me about Makers Mark as well as Woodford's is how consistent it is. Think about it this way, this is a hand crafted product made from mash that is grown and harvested each year many times. To take a product that is inherently different each and every time due to the fact that it is grown outdoors and in different souls etc and have the end product come out tasting nearly identical each time is a huge feat in and of itself. To have the same whiskey in the bottle every time for over two decades is something extremely impressive in its own right. For that I really do respect what they do. So rant over and I would say Makers and Woodford's is on the cheaper side but still a very solid bourbon that I would not hesitate to recommend to anyone.

Angel's is far more complex as well as smoother and deeper body and flavor but it is also about $20 more a bottle. If you are looking for a cheaper but really good bourbon I would point you towards a lot of Wild Turkey stuff, their Rare Breed can often be found for near the $30 mark and is one of my daily drinkers. Basil Hayden's is another thought as a wheated bourbon it's a bit lighter body. Elijah Craig 12 year and Eagle Rare 10 year single barrel for $30 is one of the single best deals in bourbon out there, and if you can find it the Very Old Barton, Heaven Hill 6 year Bottled in Bond white label, and Old Weller Antique can easily got head to head with any bourbon under $75/bottle. Hope that helps point you in the right direction. Any other questions just ask ;)

Brett
    My brother and his fiance went to Europe and they toured there Jameson distillery. They brought me back a little something.

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
    Very nice congrats!!!! I've had some of the more special Jameson's and they are very good, I have to be in an Irish whiskey mood but when I am I really love em :)

Brett
    Yeah they got a bottle engraved with their names for their wedding day so I get to have some of the extra special stuff.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!