Home Non Cigar Related
Options

The Bourbon and Whiskey Thread

Comments

• Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 to the McKenna. Damn good stuff
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @GrouchoM haven't tried either but heard good things all the same, glad you enjoyed them ;)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Had this last night :)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Brett ( @90+_Irishman ) , 

If I was going to try a Japanese whisky, what would you recommend?

Are any of them peaty like an Islay? Not really looking for anything in particular; nothing super fancy. I enjoy smokey scotches (Talisker, Laphroaig, Lagavulin) and Speysides and sherry finished.

I figured if anyone could make a quick recommendation, you're the man! 

LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's drunk and passed out...   :D
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are any of them peaty like an Islay? Not really looking for anything in particular; nothing super fancy. I enjoy smokey scotches (Talisker, Laphroaig, Lagavulin) and Speysides and sherry finished.

I have a buddy who is into the Japanese stuff. He is an admitted Suntory wh.ore, so his leanings are towards that distillery. As he has waxed poetic about it, he has convinced me (didn't take much, to be honest) to try some offerings. If you are looking for peaty, and Suntory, the Hakushu is going to be closest to your criteria. 

The 12 as I remember is smoker than the 18.

The Hibiki and the Yamazaki differ from the Hakushu, less of the peat flavor profile, but stellar on their own right.

Heres the tough part; Suntory is hugely in demand--if you can find it, get it. The 12 is a good start. The 17 and 18 are heavenly.

I hear good things about Nikka From the Barrell, but have yet to try it. 

I am quite curious as to what inventory you have locally with regards to Suntory. Do you mind letting me know if stock is thin in your neck of the woods?
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    jarubla said:

I have a buddy who is into the Japanese stuff. He is an admitted Suntory wh.ore, so his leanings are towards that distillery. As he has waxed poetic about it, he has convinced me (didn't take much, to be honest) to try some offerings. If you are looking for peaty, and Suntory, the Hakushu is going to be closest to your criteria. 

The 12 as I remember is smoker than the 18.

The Hibiki and the Yamazaki differ from the Hakushu, less of the peat flavor profile, but stellar on their own right.

Heres the tough part; Suntory is hugely in demand--if you can find it, get it. The 12 is a good start. The 17 and 18 are heavenly.

I hear good things about Nikka From the Barrell, but have yet to try it. 

I am quite curious as to what inventory you have locally with regards to Suntory. Do you mind letting me know if stock is thin in your neck of the woods?
    Boy Jay is RIGHT on the money here wow, great info and nice job Jay! Gray, I would say that the Japanese whisky is very very different from scotch. It is still single malt so it has a scotch like influence but it is much lighter and I would refer to it as more refined flavors, milder and cleaner. I have a bottle of the Hibiki 12 year that is amazing, but it is fruity and has incredible depth but none of the smoke that is in most of them. There are hints of smoke, and there is certainly some peat to it, but it is a whole different animal. So if you are looking for smoky depth and peat you should stick with Scotch, but if you are looking to branch out then I would point you to the Hibiki, Hakushu, Yamasaki, or Nikka Coffee Grain stuff :)

Hope this helps, Jay is right one the money and has a lot of great info there too!

Brett

EDIT: I would be happy to send you a sample of the Hibiki 12 year if you would like Gray, just let me know and I can get it in the mail with some bodyguards for you soon :)
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife is the scotch connoisseur in our house. She recommends Ardbeg and Bruichladdich port Charlotte for smokey peaty flavor, but not as on your face as Laphroig. Not Japanese, but could be on your list to try. I prefer the soft malty flavor of Glen Goyne 17 if you can find it. Good luck! 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    @jarubla @90+_Irishman thanks for the help, fellas. I will keep an eye out next time I am out and see what stock is around here.  I did not know it was tough to come by.

Regarding flavors, I was curious as to the smoke. I didn't know if that was common or absent from Japanese whiskies.

Brett, thank you for the kind offer. I may take you up on it sometime. I will check around here and maybe see what I can sample. I tried the Nikka Coffey still and remember really enjoying it.

• Options
    Guitarded said:
    My wife is the scotch connoisseur in our house. She recommends Ardbeg and Bruichladdich port Charlotte for smokey peaty flavor, but not as on your face as Laphroig. Not Japanese, but could be on your list to try. I prefer the soft malty flavor of Glen Goyne 17 if you can find it. Good luck! 
    Thank you for the suggestions. I do have a bottle of Arbeg and find it pretty overwhelming in the smoke department. The others I have not tried and am always open to try a new Scotch!

My favorite non-smokey Scotch so far is the Balvenie 12 yr doublewood. I can certainly appreciate the more delicate malts. 
  • Options
    Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    My favorite so far is the Aberlour A'Bunadh Batch #52. I hear Batch #50 is the same only different.
    Life is good, don't waste it.
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gray4lines, I see you live in KY. If you have a liquor barn nearby, I would look there. I am amazed at some kf the items they carry there! Can't helpt with scotch since I am a bourbon guy,
  • Options
    MikeTodd said:
    @Gray4lines, I see you live in KY. If you have a liquor barn nearby, I would look there. I am amazed at some kf the items they carry there! Can't helpt with scotch since I am a bourbon guy,
    Yes I know of 4 or so in town, lol! I will definitely check them out. I am always amazed at the bourbon selections. Scotch is usually a little more scarce,  but they have plenty to choose from.
  • Options
    MikeTodd said:
    Yes I know of 4 or so in town, lol! I will definitely check them out. I am always amazed at the bourbon selections. Scotch is usually a little more scarce,  but they have plenty to choose from.
    You must live in Lexington! I know of at least 4 there!
  • Options
    Having a pour of Old Weller Antique 107, what a smooth and full bodied flavorful bourbon still one of my all time favs!

Brett
  • Options
    @90+_Irishman have you had Noah's Mill by Willet? One of my new favs! It is barrel strength at 114.3 proof.
  • Options
    MikeTodd said:
    @90+_Irishman have you had Noah's Mill by Willet? One of my new favs! It is barrel strength at 114.3 proof.
    I've got a bottle of it that Steve @Stubble sent me a whil back that only had about 1/3 left at best, great one for sure! One of the few I prefer over an ice ball whereas most I drink neat like the Old Weller I'm sipping on as I type this. 

Brett
  • Options
    I figured a nerd like you would have a bottle of it. I am a neat guy as well but it depends on the weather. Sometimes a nice cool pour of bourbon hits the spot.
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mmmmm Eagle Rare tonight. That is all :smile:
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    Edna20 said:
    Mmmmm Eagle Rare tonight. That is all :smile:
    Nothing like drinking it at the distillary! That's one of the tastings after the tour.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm drinking bonded Jim Bean. Not bad for the price.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    I do enjoy a whiskey sour every now and again when I feel up to making my own sour mix (I hate the store bought stuff). I have found that Wild Turkey 101 is a great mixer! I also like to freeze some homemade lemonade in ice cube trays and use those as my rocks when I drink Four Roses yellow label as a mixer.  
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MikeTodd can you give some insight to your homemade sour mix? I like a good bourbon old fashioned sour but like you the store bought stuff is ehhh.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    Sure. It is really simple. I heat up 1c white sugar and 1c water as if I were making a simple syrup. I heat it up until the sugar is fully disolved. After letting it cool some I add 1c of lemon juice and 1c lime juice. Obviously fresh squeezed is best but bottled works too in a jam. I mix it all up, put it in a mason jar with a lid and throw it in the fridge. Works well for margaritas as well. If you like it more tart or less sweet, adjust ingredients as needed. Also, for a low/no sugar alternative, you could add stevia extract. I have liquid extract so I add between 30-45 drops depending on taste.
  • Options
    Awesome Carl nice grabs hope you're having fun and staying safe brother!
  • Options
    Mmmm, good looking Balvenie. The doublewood 12 is still one one my favorites. I need to grab another line to try.
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mmmm, good looking Balvenie. The doublewood 12 is still one one my favorites. I need to grab another line to try.
    The 14 year carribean cask is fantastic
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter