Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Whats your favorite gurkha?

Comments

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Whoa. Give me a minute to get my sea legs.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i am about to make a bold statement.

I think i like Camacho more than Gurkha

dont get me wrong, i like gurkha, but i feel that Camacho is trying to make a few good blends to appeal to people like me, and gurkha is now trying to make everyone happy. its the percentage of blends that i like with camacho is 100% the percentage with gurkha... maybe 60%
    *round of applause* .... You're seeing the light Kuzi. Welcome to the dark side.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:
    i am about to make a bold statement.

I think i like Camacho more than Gurkha

dont get me wrong, i like gurkha, but i feel that Camacho is trying to make a few good blends to appeal to people like me, and gurkha is now trying to make everyone happy. its the percentage of blends that i like with camacho is 100% the percentage with gurkha... maybe 60%
    *round of applause* .... You're seeing the light Kuzi. Welcome to the dark side.
    I can understand that. I like almost everything Fuente puts out but I'm not a fan of the OpusX and I really dislike their connecticut blends. Their maduro and cameroon are great, in my opinion. With Gurkha, I like a bunch of the blends but some are just OK. The Shaggy is my favorite Gurkha ever, with the Shaggy maduro as a close second. The Beat and Titan are ok. The Rare Breed maduro was good. The Centurion was good. I thought the regent was ok, liked the Nepaleese Warrior better, etc....

I guess what I am saying is I like Fuente more than I like Gurkha BUT I like the Shaggy more than I like pretty much anything else.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im just saying gurkha was a better company when they had fewer blends and worried more about quality. the regent is still one of my favorite smokes... same with the centurian. it just seems like every few weeks they have a new blend coming out, and none of them stand out anymore. the crest was the last real special blend in my opinion.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    im just saying gurkha was a better company when they had fewer blends and worried more about quality. the regent is still one of my favorite smokes... same with the centurian. it just seems like every few weeks they have a new blend coming out, and none of them stand out anymore. the crest was the last real special blend in my opinion.
    This is what I've been screaming forever. Unfortunately RP and DPG are quickly heading down this slope as well. The biggest difference I've noticed with RP is that all these new blends he keeps coming out with are one time runs. Not that its a whole lot better but at least he's not really overextending himself. I'm just concerned his stuff will be less imaginative as he tries to appeal to more people.
  • Options
    OTOH, Fuente makes one of nearly everything, and pretty much all of them are very good. So it seems to me it can be done; Gurkha and Rocky just aren't doing a terribly good job at moving from boutique to major player.
  • Options
    the other difference between RP and Gurkha is that Gurkha started out good....
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Oh man.... Them is fighting words! LOL!
  • Options
    urbino:
    OTOH, Fuente makes one of nearly everything, and pretty much all of them are very good. So it seems to me it can be done; Gurkha and Rocky just aren't doing a terribly good job at moving from boutique to major player.
    Right they make ONE of everything. RP, Gurkha and DPG make one of everything and then just for sh1ts and giigles they make three more of the same thing with just a little tweak and market it as a whole different cigar OR sell it to one particular vendor.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    HA! They may have been good once upon a time, you know back before a certain watchmaker bought the company.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    Right they make ONE of everything. RP, Gurkha and DPG make one of everything and then just for sh1ts and giigles they make three more of the same thing with just a little tweak and market it as a whole different cigar OR sell it to one particular vendor.
    Ah. Now I smell what you're stepping in.
  • Options
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    Ah. Now I smell what you're stepping in.
    Damn dogs.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Camancho makes only one cigar I like, that's the 3x maduro. I have a scorpio in the humi that I haven't had yet but I already like more gurkhas than camancho. just my opinion.
  • Options
    try the SLR maduro. I think camacho makes a damn fine maduro all around.

that may be my favorite camacho at the moment. the havana is good as well. ...oooh and the deploma

and you cant forget the select.
  • Options
    And the 1962.
  • Options
    urbino:
    And the 1962.
    YES! i have a few with about a year on em right now. that my just be my smoke tomorrow.
  • Options
    niz33niz33 Posts: 83
    I have 4 that are my everyday smoke the Gurkha Signature, Turk, Park Ave and Symphony I have a couple of Castle Hall but I have not got around to smoke them.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    try the SLR maduro. I think camacho makes a damn fine maduro all around.

that may be my favorite camacho at the moment. the havana is good as well. ...oooh and the deploma

and you cant forget the select.
    I agree, Camacho does make an excellent maduro. I think they have enough blends to have some variety, but not too many that they start repeating themselves in taste with different packaging. While they're not my top favorite, I must say that Camacho is probably in my top five...I think...Padilla, Padron, Oliva, 5 Vegas, Camacho...yeah, that works out just right. Still need to try some of their blends though, I've only had 3-4 if memory serves (and it usually does).
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    niz33:
    I have 4 that are my everyday smoke the Gurkha Signature, Turk, Park Ave and Symphony I have a couple of Castle Hall but I have not got around to smoke them.
    Symphony is a real treat.. Just found that one recently and I am glad I did. Haven't gotten any Turk or Park Avenues but next time I spot a Sampler with those in it, I will pick 'em up.
  • Options
    robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219

I enjoyed the Gurkha Warlord especially with A cup of espresso. Robert

"Happiness is a long ash".

• Options
    kaspera79:
    niz33:
    Symphony is a real treat.. Just found that one recently and I am glad I did. Haven't gotten any Turk or Park Avenues but next time I spot a Sampler with those in it, I will pick 'em up.
    ccom has a good deal on the turks kas.
  • Options
    SmokeRingSmokeRing Posts: 61
    Ancient Warrior is probably my favorite Gurkha blend, but I've smoked a lot of others (lost track of which ones) and liked many. The Turk is good if you let it rest awhile, The Beast is good but the ones I've had have had some issues ,minor, but inexcusable in a $20 cigar. On my last order I had them throw in a churchill Park Ave and I really liked that, I will get a box on my next order. The Grand Reserve is the best infused cigar I've smoked, I laked it and I am NOT a fan of infused/flavored cigars. I didn't care for the G3 much at all. Has anyone tried the new Blue Steel?
  • Options
    JFJF Posts: 54
    kaspera79:
    niz33:

Got a Turk in a sampler once - found it to be completely flavorless, with maybe the slightest hint of hay in there - I wouldn't waste my money, if I were you. Symphonies are certainly a better investment, delicious stick (why doesn't CCOM carry these, by the way?).
  • Options
    im guessing that they dont carry them because those are for another site exclusively.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    SmokeRing:
    Ancient Warrior is probably my favorite Gurkha blend, but I've smoked a lot of others (lost track of which ones) and liked many. The Turk is good if you let it rest awhile, The Beast is good but the ones I've had have had some issues ,minor, but inexcusable in a $20 cigar. On my last order I had them throw in a churchill Park Ave and I really liked that, I will get a box on my next order. The HMR is the best infused cigar I've smoked, I laked it and I am NOT a fan of infused/flavored cigars. I didn't care for the G3 much at all. Has anyone tried the new Blue Steel?
    You actually smoked an HMR? If that's true, I want to be your best friend. If you can afford that, then you can send me an amazing pack of smokes for my birthday in a couple weeks.
  • Options
    SmokeRingSmokeRing Posts: 61
    rdnstn:
    SmokeRing:
    Ancient Warrior is probably my favorite Gurkha blend, but I've smoked a lot of others (lost track of which ones) and liked many. The Turk is good if you let it rest awhile, The Beast is good but the ones I've had have had some issues ,minor, but inexcusable in a $20 cigar. On my last order I had them throw in a churchill Park Ave and I really liked that, I will get a box on my next order. The HMR is the best infused cigar I've smoked, I laked it and I am NOT a fan of infused/flavored cigars. I didn't care for the G3 much at all. Has anyone tried the new Blue Steel?
    You actually smoked an HMR? If that's true, I want to be your best friend. If you can afford that, then you can send me an amazing pack of smokes for my birthday in a couple weeks.
    Dang it, I did it again! Sorry to misrepresent folks, I meant to type Grand Reserve, NOT HMR, my apologies. I wish I could try a HMR!...........I smoked a Master Select churchill the other night and really liked it alot , have to get more of those.
  • Options
    smokestersmokester Posts: 131
    Had a Gurkha Grand Envoy last night thought it was quite tasty i think i will let the others i have rest for a while and see how they are with some age on them. I have heard the blue steel wasn't that great but thats just what i heard i am tryin to get some so i can see what they are like.
  • Options
    Well I think it's time to talk about some more gurkhas... Well my favorite would have to be the Beast or triple ligero. Coming in next would be the Beauty, fuerte, Dragon Fury, and Centurion. The Turk is up there along with the Dragon Fire. The Gran Reserve/plat reserve/royal salute-reserve. I liked the Green Dragon, grand age, Titan and Titan 2, Doble maduro, Legend as well.
    no on to the ones I didn't really care for...
    Master select (maduro and natural- though maybe they just need to sit), ganghas kahn (too pricey and the result just isn't worth it), Crest (again same as with the kahn), Blue steele (wasn't too impressed), signature 101 maduro (silver label), grand envoy, g3, g5, ancient warrior (again some age probably will help), signature 1887 both red and black, regent, napalse warrior, royal brigade (again some age will probably help), Warlord (wasn't bad but didn't taste much different than other cigars cheaper), gold, castle hall. Those are all the one's I've tried.
    I still have the symphony, sherpa, micro blends (waiting for my boxes), park avenue, MARQUEZA (just got my box), rare breed (thanks Rob), and HMR (don't have that one though) that I haven't tried.
    I'd say overall I'm impressed with gurkha. They make some of my favorite smokes and there's quite a few. There are several I listed that I wasn't very happy with but again it just may be do to no enough resting time. Though only a handful of them I would attribute to that. I mean if you don't like the flavor aging them isn't going to make them taste better.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Well I think it's time to talk about some more gurkhas... Well my favorite would have to be the Beast or triple ligero. Coming in next would be the Beauty, fuerte, Dragon Fury, and Centurion. The Turk is up there along with the Dragon Fire. The Gran Reserve/plat reserve/royal salute-reserve. I liked the Green Dragon, grand age, Titan and Titan 2, Doble maduro, Legend as well.
    no on to the ones I didn't really care for...
    Master select (maduro and natural- though maybe they just need to sit), ganghas kahn (too pricey and the result just isn't worth it), Crest (again same as with the kahn), Blue steele (wasn't too impressed), signature 101 maduro (silver label), grand envoy, g3, g5, ancient warrior (again some age probably will help), signature 1887 both red and black, regent, napalse warrior, royal brigade (again some age will probably help), Warlord (wasn't bad but didn't taste much different than other cigars cheaper), gold, castle hall. Those are all the one's I've tried.
    I still have the symphony, sherpa, micro blends (waiting for my boxes), park avenue, MARQUEZA (just got my box), rare breed (thanks Rob), and HMR (don't have that one though) that I haven't tried.
    I'd say overall I'm impressed with gurkha. They make some of my favorite smokes and there's quite a few. There are several I listed that I wasn't very happy with but again it just may be do to no enough resting time. Though only a handful of them I would attribute to that. I mean if you don't like the flavor aging them isn't going to make them taste better.
    I really liked the GK. I ordered abother 10 yesterday. The Marqueza kicked my ass! Did you ever have the Shaggy?
  • Options
    oops, forgot about that shaggy haven't had it yet but I have a couple. GK wasn't bad but it went out on me 3 times. I have one more so I'll give it another shot. Same with the Crest.