Home Ratings & Reviews

Whats your favorite gurkha?

Comments

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have one crest left. I made a mistake with the first oneand cut a little too much off so the draw was way to easy. I won't make that mistake again. I probably won't smoke it for a year though. Which Shaggys do you have? Natural or Maduro?
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I have the natural I think. I didn't know they had a maduro when I ordered them. They smell nice .
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Well I think it's time to talk about some more gurkhas... Well my favorite would have to be the Beast or triple ligero. Coming in next would be the Beauty, fuerte, Dragon Fury, and Centurion. The Turk is up there along with the Dragon Fire. The Gran Reserve/plat reserve/royal salute-reserve. I liked the Green Dragon, grand age, Titan and Titan 2, Doble maduro, Legend as well.
    no on to the ones I didn't really care for...
    Master select (maduro and natural- though maybe they just need to sit), ganghas kahn (too pricey and the result just isn't worth it), Crest (again same as with the kahn), Blue steele (wasn't too impressed), signature 101 maduro (silver label), grand envoy, g3, g5, ancient warrior (again some age probably will help), signature 1887 both red and black, regent, napalse warrior, royal brigade (again some age will probably help), Warlord (wasn't bad but didn't taste much different than other cigars cheaper), gold, castle hall. Those are all the one's I've tried.
    I still have the symphony, sherpa, micro blends (waiting for my boxes), park avenue, MARQUEZA (just got my box), rare breed (thanks Rob), and HMR (don't have that one though) that I haven't tried.
    I'd say overall I'm impressed with gurkha. They make some of my favorite smokes and there's quite a few. There are several I listed that I wasn't very happy with but again it just may be do to no enough resting time. Though only a handful of them I would attribute to that. I mean if you don't like the flavor aging them isn't going to make them taste better.
    I really liked the GK. I ordered abother 10 yesterday. The Marqueza kicked my ass! Did you ever have the Shaggy?

RWHEEL- Tell me about that Marqueza (thinking of getting a box)
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    phobicsquirrel:
    Well I think it's time to talk about some more gurkhas... Well my favorite would have to be the Beast or triple ligero. Coming in next would be the Beauty, fuerte, Dragon Fury, and Centurion. The Turk is up there along with the Dragon Fire. The Gran Reserve/plat reserve/royal salute-reserve. I liked the Green Dragon, grand age, Titan and Titan 2, Doble maduro, Legend as well.
    Master select (maduro and natural- though maybe they just need to sit), ganghas kahn (too pricey and the result just isn't worth it), Crest (again same as with the kahn), Blue steele (wasn't too impressed), signature 101 maduro (silver label), grand envoy, g3, g5, ancient warrior (again some age probably will help), signature 1887 both red and black, regent, napalse warrior, royal brigade (again some age will probably help), Warlord (wasn't bad but didn't taste much different than other cigars cheaper), gold, castle hall. Those are all the one's I've tried.
    I still have the symphony, sherpa, micro blends (waiting for my boxes), park avenue, MARQUEZA (just got my box), rare breed (thanks Rob), and HMR (don't have that one though) that I haven't tried.
    I'd say overall I'm impressed with gurkha. They make some of my favorite smokes and there's quite a few. There are several I listed that I wasn't very happy with but again it just may be do to no enough resting time. Though only a handful of them I would attribute to that. I mean if you don't like the flavor aging them isn't going to make them taste better.

Damn Squirrel ...you sure your not a Gurkha spy sent to infiltrate the CCOM forum ...saaaayyyy ...how 'bout we see some ID there furry britches !!!
    gmill880:
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    I really liked the GK. I ordered abother 10 yesterday. The Marqueza kicked my ass! Did you ever have the Shaggy?

RWHEEL- Tell me about that Marqueza (thinking of getting a box)
    I've only had one and it kicked my ass. I could barely make out the flavors because the cigar was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo strong. It was like smoking an OpusX for me. Different taste but they both hurt me real bad........ My friend who gave it to me loves trong cigars. He said it was his favorite between the Master Select, Regent, Legend and there may have been a 4th one there somewhere. Can't remember.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    gene, check your boxy...
  • andrewhandrewh Posts: 97
    Has anyone ever tried the gurkha coffee?
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    had my first Gurkha the other day, one word: GARBAGE.

"Long ashes my friends."

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Krieg:
    Which Gurkha?

There are so many out there now. Some good, some not so good, others...just plain ugly.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    Krieg:
    Which Gurkha?

There are so many out there now. Some good, some not so good, others...just plain ugly.
    i agree...

the gurkha name brand used to mean way more than it does now.

gurkha has over 75 blends that it puts its name on. they span (now, not so much in the past) a vast range of price points and quality points.

even if it is not the case, they appear to have moved away from the attitude of " lets make only the best" to the attitude of "lets sell to as many people as we can"
    the overall name "gurkha" has lost some of its impact. the cigars on an individual basis should be judged as such.
    some are very good. some are very bad. Most are somewhere in the middle.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    laker1963:
    Krieg:
    Which Gurkha?

i agree...

the gurkha name brand used to mean way more than it does now.

gurkha has over 75 blends that it puts its name on. they span (now, not so much in the past) a vast range of price points and quality points.

even if it is not the case, they appear to have moved away from the attitude of " lets make only the best" to the attitude of "lets sell to as many people as we can"
    the overall name "gurkha" has lost some of its impact. the cigars on an individual basis should be judged as such.
    some are very good. some are very bad. Most are somewhere in the middle.
    It was the Ghurka Ancient Warrior, I never had a Gurk before and I was getting a deal on them on my local cigar bar for father's day, so I figured what the hell. This cigar had such an awful taste, the wrapper didn't even cover the entire cigar! AND there was a wierd "tunnel" in the cigar, im not talking about when a cigar tunnels, it was just rolled in a way that create a "tunnel" all the way through the cigar. Probably one of the worse cigars I ever had. I smoked about 1inch to give it a shot, but I didn't even finish it. Even my wife could tell I was pissed when I came in from outside and she even felt sorry for me AND SHE HATES CIGARS! lol

"Long ashes my friends."

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dont let this dissuade you. there are about 5 gurkhas that i feel are real great cigars. there are a bunch that im not mad at in any way but im not excited about, and there are a few that i think suck.
    here is the list of ones that i think are great:
    legend
    centurian
    Regent
    Crest
    master select.

honorable mention to
    Nepalese Warrior

...not gunna list the ones im not mad up but not excited about. thats a fairly hefty list.
    kuzi16:
    dont let this dissuade you. there are about 5 gurkhas that i feel are real great cigars. there are a bunch that im not mad at in any way but im not excited about, and there are a few that i think suck.
    here is the list of ones that i think are great:
    legend
    centurian
    Regent
    Crest
    master select.

honorable mention to
    Nepalese Warrior

...not gunna list the ones im not mad up but not excited about. thats a fairly hefty list.
    That's an interesting list. I liked the centurian in the beginning but now I am not thrilled with it. At least I am not thrilled with the last 2 - 3 I have had. I wasn't thrilled with the regent at first but the last one I had I really liked. I like dthe first master select I had and have not liked them since. I have had a bunch of legends and the one that I really liked was the torpedo. As for the Crest, I have only had one and I cut too much off the tip cause the draw was way to easy. The funny thing is I didn't cut much off the tip at all.

I guess my favorites would be:
    Shaggy
    Genghis Khan
    Ancient Warrior
    Legend

That's about it. There are others I like but not enough to put here at favorites.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    I enjoy the nepalese warrior and symphony ...... and i had a few other that werent my cup of tea ....
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    symphony sucked to be honest...nepalese I havent had, its been resting for a few months now... so another online retailer has the HMR for only 400 bucks lol...happy hunting guys lol..i would love to buy one...i decided if I win the lotto thats the first purchase is a box just to say I have one! lol
  • HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Centurion, Shaggy, Black Dragon, Legend, Ancient Warrior, Beauty, Beast, Triple Ligero, that's all that comes to mind at the moment.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ALL of them. Not had one that disappointed yet.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    I really love the Micro Batch and Beauty. Too bad buying a Beauty alone is EXPENSIVEEEEEE lol.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    I have a few beutys resting for a awesome day..im thinking the 4th of july
  • wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    I really love the Micro Batch and Beauty. Too bad buying a Beauty alone is EXPENSIVEEEEEE lol.
    Get the Gurkha Royal Salute Sampler. Only 29 bucks, has the beauty and a few other really good Gurkhas. Buying the Beauty itself would be 30 bucks anyways. Why not get another 5 cigars along with it for the same price?
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    Used to be the Centurion, but I got bored with the last few I had, and ended up giving the rest of them away. I do like that it's a unique tasting cigar. I can't think of another stick I've had that is like it. I've got a pair of Legends resting at the moment that I will try sometime, but based on my overall experience with Gurkha I'm not in a huge hurry.
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Haven't had that many Gurkhas, but out of the one's I've tried: Nepalese Warrior and Micro-Batch TPB-1.
  • doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Signature 101 Maduro. I've only had one but it was great. It's twin has been resting 6 months and is about ready to be burned for confirmation.
  • surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    I was really surprised by the Micro-Batch S-2. Really flavorful, with pepper and spiciness thrown in there. Great smoke
  • brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    I like the Turk and Park Ave.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Anyone tried the Gurkha Green Dragon? Just heard about it today.
  • illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    I had a great Gurkha Legend Vulcan perfecto a little bit ago, that was tasty.. but the microbatch C-10 was pretty good too
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    JSaint:
    Get the Gurkha Royal Salute Sampler. Only 29 bucks, has the beauty and a few other really good Gurkhas. Buying the Beauty itself would be 30 bucks anyways. Why not get another 5 cigars along with it for the same price?
    Yea I always check out the Gurkha samplers on the bid site to see how much I can get them for lol.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    i have tried the assassian , legend, and beauty . got a beast resting. real thinking on getting the empire sampler to try more. empire 3 is one i wont to try
  • thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    none, i have tried so many to find a decent one for my taste, and have yet to come accross one