Home Non Cigar Related
Options

MMA Junkies in here

Comments

• Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I too think he should have accepted the fight with Chael. Yeah, 8 days is really a short time to have to start training for a new fighter, his training crew was going to be out of the country for 5 days or so cornering one of the other guys from the gym fighting, but still, he probably would have beat Chael and won over alot of fans in the process. I can't see putting all of the blame on him for the cancellation of the event though. If the UFC would have had a better under card or better co main event then they probably wouldn't have had to cancel the event. What a cluster F@$&.

I will say this though, if Jones meets Chael in the future, they will be able to sell that fight for big PPV dollars.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    I have liked Bones up to this point, and still will follow his fights. He is amazing to watch....I listened to Dana's media concall on this after they cancelled to fight, since I so wanted to see Dan and Bones fight. Dana mentioned the trainer being the one that said this would be Bones' biggest mistake of his life, by taking the Chael fight. He riped him to shreads...I haven't followed the guy so can't comment too much on that, but did all of Bones' training partners leave? I find that to be a hard pill to swallow (to be used as a reason not to fight).

To your point about having the proper card might have kept this alive...I 100% agree with this. Many cards are put together with 1 fight and several mediocare bout in between. That is why I don't buy PPV anymore. But this being marketed for one fight only, millions will be lost, lessons shouldl be learned, and ultimatley I think Bones will lose some serious rep on this one. I'm curious to see what happens the next time he refuses to fight.....
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I don't blame Bones for the card being weak and the UFC cancelling it, that is on their shoulders. Here's my problem...Jon Jones is a fighter, and beyond that, he's a champion. A champion should fight all comers that threaten his belt to prove why he has the belt. Not only that, he had a full training camp while Chael is basically coming in with zero fight camp. He's probably one of the most dynamic fighters the sport has seen, but he needs to take a lesson from the fighters who paved his path and man up.

I've been sick of Jones for a while with his holier than thou attitude, and the way he's handled himself in the aftermath of this shitstorm isn't helping his image.
  • Options
    Another thought....is it worse for Jones to not fight Chael with 8 days notice, or Machida refusing to fight Jones on 4 weeks notice? Hate to see this turn into the drama that boxing deals day in and day out. What's next, the challenger is going to request the other to get a blood test done in order to get the fight done, only to have the opponent be scared of needles, and refuse to fight. I know I'm being kinda silly here, but if this is allowed to continue, where is mma heading? This mess really has shaken the ball a bit...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    In my opinion, Jones refusing to fight Sonnen is worse than Machida refusing to fight Jones simply because of the direct consequence of the respective decisions. At the end of the day, it can be said that both made a smart decision...the difference of course being the circumstances, Jones was on the hot seat, Machida wasn't. Another thing is Jones had a full camp, at best Machida would've had 3-4 weeks of fight camp.
  • Options
    UFC 153 on tonight. The Facebook Prelims just started. The FX prelims will start at 7:00 p.m. CST. The PPV starts at 9:00 p.m. CST.
  • Options
    UFC 153 Main Card:

Silva vs. Bonnar: Silva but I will be rooting for Bonnar to pull off the upset.
    Bif Nog vs. Herman: I say Big Nog in 2nd rd. with a kimora.
    Teixeria vs. Maldonado: Teixeria with a TKO in 2nd.
    Fitch vs. Silva: Fitch by UD.
    Davis vs. Prado: Tough choice. I will say Davis by KO in 3rd.
    Maia vs. Story: I say Story by some crazy sub in the first.

All I hope for is some good entertaining fights tonight and for Bonnar to make it past the 2nd round.

Rob
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Wow forgot about this thread, lol the card was surprisely good, can't wait till UFC on fox with Diaz vs Hendo, I might actually watch the New Years card in Vegas Live hopefully no one get hurt
  • Options
    It was a great night of fights. I was really hoping that Bonnar would be able to put up some type of fight though.
    That Diaz v. Hendo fight is going to be great. Have fun in Vegas. I always keep my fingers crossed that no one gets injured leading up to these fights. Too many injuries of late.
  • Options
    UFC 154 already in progress. The FX prelims are on right now with the PPV starting at 9:00 p.m. CST. The return of GSP. Should be a good night of fights. If you are watching/going to watch I hope you enjoy!

Main Card(PPV)
    Georges St-Pierre vs. Carlos Condit
    Johny Hendricks vs. Martin Kampmann
    Tom Lawlor vs. Francis Carmont
    Mark Hominick vs. Pablo Garza
    Mark Bocek vs. Rafael dos Anjos

Rob
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    How about Cain?! Really happy he won the belt back. Mainly because I wanna see these two fight more. Although after he throttled JDS like that who knows how long it might take JDS to get another crack at the belt.
  • Options
    I know it's a little off topic, anyone do any MMA training? I'm thinking of joining an MMA gym next month 2 days mui tai, and 2 days MMA grappling, I'm a big guy not really in shape just want some advice if its a good idea.
  • Options
    Anyone going to watch UFC on Fox tomorrow, I'm going for Johnson, Rampage, Pettis I think rampage might lose though he's getting old, but it was an entertaining weigh in
  • Options
    I'll be watching for sure. I haven't had a chance to see the weigh ins yet. Probably after my son goes to bed I will watch it. I'm pulling for Johnson to beat Dodson tomorrow. I can't stand Dodson. He just really annoys me. I really hope Glove takes out Rampage. Rampage has been a real B&^%$ the past few years. He is such a douche. Hopefully it is a good night of fights!
  • Options
    Well Rampage looked old , Johnson looked good especially the 5th round but overall to me it wasn't that of an exciting fight. Btw show time looked awesome that nickname fits him
  • Options
    brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    big chunks:
    Well Rampage looked old , Johnson looked good especially the 5th round but overall to me it wasn't that of an exciting fight. Btw show time looked awesome that nickname fits him
    totally agree.....I really hope that Rampage hangs it up. He was a good coach when he was on TUF maybe he can shift to that. Or try and get A-Team 2 off the ground.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    big chunks:
    I know it's a little off topic, anyone do any MMA training? I'm thinking of joining an MMA gym next month 2 days mui tai, and 2 days MMA grappling, I'm a big guy not really in shape just want some advice if its a good idea.
    Hey, just saw this. Did you join? My brother trains mma and I adjust the fighters at a local gym. Great exercise and great camaraderie if you get in with a decent gym. Good luck, let us know how it goes!!!
  • Options
    mmccartneydc:
    big chunks:
    Hey, just saw this. Did you join? My brother trains mma and I adjust the fighters at a local gym. Great exercise and great camaraderie if you get in with a decent gym. Good luck, let us know how it goes!!!
    I'm going on Friday to have a look around if I like it I'm gonna start next week, I've always been a fan and I figure if I like it why not train in it. I'm a little nervous because I don't think I'm in good enough shape but I got to start somewhere. Ill post some updates
  • Options
    Anybody else see a glimpse of the Pride days when the axe murderer knocked out Stann
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    big chunks:
    Anybody else see a glimpse of the Pride days when the axe murderer knocked out Stann
    I loved Pride Fighting
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in my golden days, 8 years ago I did Jiu-Jitsu completions at Ohio Grappling challenges and Arnold fitness classic, I trained at Ohio sports Academy under Dustin Ware, which gym was Affilated with Jorge Gurgel and Rich Franklin. That's when I was a young 170, damn I miss those days.
  • Options
    ThreadJacker3000ThreadJacker3000 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    Glock1975:
    Back in my golden days, 8 years ago I did Jiu-Jitsu completions at Ohio Grappling challenges and Arnold fitness classic, I trained at Ohio sports Academy under Dustin Ware, which gym was Affilated with Jorge Gurgel and Rich Franklin. That's when I was a young 170, damn I miss those days.
    I bet I can put you in a sleeper hold in under 8 sec Ray.
  • Options
    Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThreadJacker3000:
    Glock1975:
    Lol u probably can bro, but can u get out of the figure 4 leg lock. Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glock1975:
    ThreadJacker3000:
    Glock1975:
    Lol u probably can bro, but can u get out of the figure 4 leg lock. Whooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Haha! Just noticed your signature Ray Ray all day.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    big chunks:
    That was a cool fight and all, but NO ONE else other than Brian Stann (at least no one important enough to matter) will stand and trade with Wandy going forward. It was a horrible strategy. Stann's a warrior and I respect the hell out of him, so I won't be brave enough to call the guy "stupid". But it wasn't smart to stand and trade with him when Stann, while not the most agile contender in recent memory, certainly had more mobility and range than Silva.

If they can find guys who will stand with him (basically for goofball attraction fights), Wandy could get an entertaining win here and there. If he finds himself ever near a title contender again, he'll be out maneuvered and out gunned. He just doesn't have the complete MMA package to get near guys like Jones or Anderson ever again.
  • Options
    Big T smokes:
    big chunks:
    That was a cool fight and all, but NO ONE else other than Brian Stann (at least no one important enough to matter) will stand and trade with Wandy going forward. It was a horrible strategy. Stann's a warrior and I respect the hell out of him, so I won't be brave enough to call the guy "stupid". But it wasn't smart to stand and trade with him when Stann, while not the most agile contender in recent memory, certainly had more mobility and range than Silva.

If they can find guys who will stand with him (basically for goofball attraction fights), Wandy could get an entertaining win here and there. If he finds himself ever near a title contender again, he'll be out maneuvered and out gunned. He just doesn't have the complete MMA package to get near guys like Jones or Anderson ever again.
    I agree the only way silva had a chance was with his stand up game, but I give Stann credit he wanted to put on a show, it could have gone either way but it was Silvas night. It was a very entertaining fights I far probably the best main event fight of the year
  • Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    If you get a chance google Struve's Xrays. Hunt literally crushed his skull.
  • Options
    That was also a great fight, I can imagine how seeing a fight in Japan would be
  • Options
    Figured I'd bump this thread...gotta a decent card tonight on UFC 159. Any thoughts on how the Jones vs Sonnen fight will go? I don't see it lasting very long, with Bones on top. I think the Nelson vs. Kongo fight will be a good one...I got Nelson on top for that one...
  • Options
    It should be a good night of fights. Hopefully it is as good as last weekends fights. I got Jones taking this one. I really want to say TKO in round 1, but, Chael just might survive until round 2. Also, since Jones is supposed to win this fight easily, That probably means Chael will pull off the upset. I see Big County KO'ing Kongo in the first. I also hope Belcher takes out Bisping. I have never liked that Brit.