• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Ha!
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Stoogee:
    madurofan:
    Stoogee:
    Just finished reading in the last week The Appeal and The Broker by John Grisham
    I love Grisham. The Broker was good but The Appeal was easily the most profund book Grisham has written. It left me sitting there at the end questioning my political stances. Great book.

Have you had the displeasure of trying to suffer through the Innocent Man though? I haven't been able to finish it, I pick it read a few pages and damn near fall asleep.

only grisham book i am yet to be able to finish
    Sad because it has everything that it needed to have been a great book.
  • Options
    StoogeeStoogee Posts: 157
    yeah I am a huge fan of baseball and of grisham books but sadly The innocent Man was one of the 10 most boring books I have ever tried to read.
  • Options
    I'm about half way through The House of Mondavi. Good Call, Luko, thanks for turning me on to it.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Glad you like it...as a post script...Robert Mondavi died last year, which I didn't remember hearing until read one of those year-end lists of the notable folks who had died.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    Okay have to admit I don't read as much as I should anymore, kids and family. But I did pick up a book at an extra job the other day the Tunnelers forget the author but got to the 4th chapter before some jackass made me work, two of you will know what I mean. But it was pretty good will pick it up at the local book store to finish. By the way anyone watching 24.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Finished Augustus ( obviously about the roman emperor). And also " The Year of Living Biblically" -one of the most insightful but also hilarious reads lately. Author A J Jacobs trys to as literally as possible follow the bible for a full year-unbelievably funny but you will proably learn some things as well. Great book.
  • Options
    Luko:
    Glad you like it...as a post script...Robert Mondavi died last year, which I didn't remember hearing until read one of those year-end lists of the notable folks who had died.
    Yea I saw that. I'm trying to refrain from googling anything about the Mondavi's until after I finish the book but its difficult.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Tonight I read one of my all-time favorite stories. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. I read the novel and watched the (1968) movie in 7th grade, and the story stuck with me as a classic. This time, I read the short story (which was subsequently expanded into the novel). I need to get that novel and read it again. Classic.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    Tonight I read one of my all-time favorite stories. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. I read the novel and watched the (1968) movie in 7th grade, and the story stuck with me as a classic. This time, I read the short story (which was subsequently expanded into the novel). I need to get that novel and read it again. Classic.
    I remember that short story. Heh good one.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    Excellent choice.. " How strange it is that people of honest feeling and sensibility, who would not take advantage of a man without arms or legs or eyes,... how such people think nothing of abusing a man born with low intelligence. " Daniel Keyes.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    dutyje:
    Excellent choice.. " How strange it is that people of honest feeling and sensibility, who would not take advantage of a man without arms or legs or eyes,... how such people think nothing of abusing a man born with low intelligence. " Daniel Keyes.
    You quote that right off the top of your head? I think everybody here should read that... at least the first couple pages. It reads like something Big Dan would have written :)
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    dutyje:
    kaspera79:
    dutyje:
    You quote that right off the top of your head? I think everybody here should read that... at least the first couple pages. It reads like something Big Dan would have written :)
    Who's Big Dan? Wasn't he the goofball agent/club owner/student who got lambasted on here for lack of respect for the English language?

Ah, I remember reading Flowers for Algernon in the 7th grade too. Maybe I should pick it back up. I've lost a little empathy for my fellow man since those days.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    dutyje:
    kaspera79:
    dutyje:
    That's harsh Duty... the man obviously has little to no knowledge of the english language and probably little more than a middle school ejookayshun...I commend him for doing so much with so little. :)
  • Options
    LOL... jeez, Jozer.. you just read that? Photographic memory? Or do you happen to have a copy on hand and you're pulling out the quotes?
  • Options
    The History of Military Medicine by Dr. Richard Gabriel, it helps me go to sleep at night.
  • Options
    rdpitts43:
    The History of Military Medicine by Dr. Richard Gabriel, it helps me go to sleep at night.
    "How to treat a musket wound on...." *snore* :)
  • Options

j0z3r:
    rdpitts43:
    "How to treat a musket wound on...." *snore* :)

cannonball foot----usually the flatest foot on patient,symtoms include hopping up and down combined with much cursing.....cure: move patient to calvary duty

• Options
    Just wondering if anybody reads any of the cigar magazines on a regular basis and which ones do you think are the best....
  • Options
    No mags for me...I prefer to experience my cigars first hand, not read some guy's opinion.

I have been reading a book this week though, Chromosome 6 by Robin Cook. His books are like crack, hard to stop once you start.
  • Options

j0z3r:
    No mags for me...I prefer to experience my cigars first hand, not read some guy's opinion.

I have been reading a book this week though, Chromosome 6 by Robin Cook. His books are like crack, hard to stop once you start.

Yea I know what you mean. I am mainly checkin them out to see whats new I may not of heard about. I do like some of the articles though, several on the cast from the Soprano's have been pretty interesting and their cigar experiences. Including Frank Vincent who played crime boss Phil Leotardo launching of his own brand, a mild stick with nuts and cedar and a connie wrapper, supposedly pretty good, not like some of the dawg sh_it stuff movie stars , atheletes and other celebs throw their name on for a fast buck,

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I was a charter subscriber to "Pipes & Tobacco Magazine," back in the day, but I don't know that I've ever even opened a cigar magazine. I'm not an Andy Garcia fan.
  • Options
    Hey Urbs. I finally picked up Blood Meridian. I got the new millenium edition and started reading throught the prelude of book written by some professor of something or another and right there on the first freaking page he tells you how the book ends. Pissed me off so much I haven't picked the book back up yet. I will read it very soon I'm sure but just not until my anger subsides.
  • Options
    I hate it when they do that. You'd think an editor would know the difference between a prologue and an epilogue.

My wife recommended that I read Angels & Demons. So I started that last night. It reads fast, that's for sure, but it's thick enough that it'll take me a while to trudge through. I'm one of the slowest readers on the planet.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed Angels & Demons, nothing deep about it at all but none the less a very good and fast paced book. IMO its better than The Da Vinci Code, by far.
  • Options
    Henry1Henry1 Posts: 20
    I'm reading Watchmen. It's the first graphic novel I have read, realy good and not what I would have expected at all.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I really enjoyed Angels & Demons, nothing deep about it at all but none the less a very good and fast paced book. IMO its better than The Da Vinci Code, by far.
    She initially wanted me to read the Da Vinci Code. I randomly opened it to some page where there was some sort of graphic "mystery" and immediately recognized it as something that would be legible as cursive if looked at in a mirror. A few pages later they revealed the secret. The same thing already happened to me with Angels & Demons and the graphic of the tattoo at the beginning of the book.

For some reason, in school, I was made to look at / solve a lot of puzzles like the ones featured in these books. My brain picks up on them right away and I see the solution immediately. It's still very entertaining because it massages my ego and makes me feel like the smartest man in the world. I don't get to feel that way very often.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I just read a pretty good but VERY twisted book. It was called "1,000,001 Ways to Seduce Your Burro" by Dutyje. A lot of good tips in there, but took some turns I really wasn't ready for! It's a really short read though... ;)
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    I just read a pretty good but VERY twisted book. It was called "1,000,001 Ways to Seduce Your Burro" by Dutyje. A lot of good tips in there, but took some turns I really wasn't ready for! It's a really short read though... ;)
    Aww come on, no burro cuts in the book forum.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    She initially wanted me to read the Da Vinci Code. I randomly opened it to some page where there was some sort of graphic "mystery" and immediately recognized it as something that would be legible as cursive if looked at in a mirror. A few pages later they revealed the secret. The same thing already happened to me with Angels & Demons and the graphic of the tattoo at the beginning of the book.

For some reason, in school, I was made to look at / solve a lot of puzzles like the ones featured in these books. My brain picks up on them right away and I see the solution immediately. It's still very entertaining because it massages my ego and makes me feel like the smartest man in the world. I don't get to feel that way very often.
    I hear ya. I'm not that smart but I did pick up on a few things in both the Da Vinci code and Angels and Demons that weren't really that hard to figure out. Its more about the fast paced story than it is about the secrets IMO.