Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What are you reading tonight ...

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I had to read Heart of Darkness in my senior AP English class...I never even got halfway through it. That book is, in my opinion anyway, far above high school comprehension level....I think I would have to really sit down and force my way through it now even.
    If Dean Koontz re-wrote it, that would be next on your list.. (JFK) How did you like Velocity ?
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    j0z3r:
    I had to read Heart of Darkness in my senior AP English class...I never even got halfway through it. That book is, in my opinion anyway, far above high school comprehension level....I think I would have to really sit down and force my way through it now even.
    That certainly wasn't on the list in my AP class. It's in British Literature II book this semester though, a sophomore level college class. I've tried to read it on my own before, because I wanted to see the inspiration for the movie. I agree, it's a tough one to get through. Needless to say, I didn't get very far.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    j0z3r:
    If Dean Koontz re-wrote it, that would be next on your list.. (JFK) How did you like Velocity ?
    Velocity was great, I couldn't put it down. I really like the Chris Snow books too, just finished Fear Nothing on Sunday. At the rate I'm going through his books, he'll need to write about 50 a year :).

And right you are about the re-writing by Dean Koontz. Judging by his take on Frankenstein, it would be a pretty epic tale.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Reading No Country for Old Men, pretty excited, I love Cormac McCarthy's writing style.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Garen B:
    Reading No Country for Old Men, pretty excited, I love Cormac McCarthy's writing style.
    ... really, try McCarthy's "the road". This was one of the best books a couple years ago.. It won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction..
    It is very hard to read at first, because of the style. no punctuation, very awkward.. but once you get it, a fantastic experience. This will be a movie this year so read it soon.
  • Options
    I've read a McCarthy book before, it does take a bit of getting used to, but once your a fair bit in, you start to not even notice it. And once I finish this up, I'm going to bum The Road off one of my friends for a nice summer read.
  • Options
    tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    j0z3r:
    I had to read it too in AP english my senior year. My teacher was a literature freak and not only made us read it, but has us spend a month analyzing it until we came to the right conclusion. It was awful. Same thing with A dolls house, A brave new world (messed up book) etc etc. Today I am reading Winston Churchills memoirs WOOHOO. It is actually an amazing book. It is not the full memoirs its a collection of his most important writing but put together very fluidly.
  • Options
    tshaw:
    j0z3r:
    I had to read it too in AP english my senior year. My teacher was a literature freak and not only made us read it, but has us spend a month analyzing it until we came to the right conclusion. It was awful. Same thing with A dolls house, A brave new world (messed up book) etc etc. Today I am reading Winston Churchills memoirs WOOHOO. It is actually an amazing book. It is not the full memoirs its a collection of his most important writing but put together very fluidly.
    I lucked out there. My teacher was a Shakespeare freak, so we read and analyzed several of his plays throughout the year. Heart of Darkness was excruciating, but I rather enjoy Shakespeare.
  • Options
    Not a huge Shakespeare fan, not because he is writing in Ye Olde English, but I just don't find him that interesting. On the other hand, I loved Brave New World, crazy, drugged out people that do nothing but have sex for fun and are also bred in huge nurseries, all being dominated by the alpha breed. That's my idea of a cool book.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    tshaw:
    j0z3r:
    What's the title here? This is something I'd most definitely be interested in picking up.
  • Options
    Doughty421Doughty421 Posts: 39
    Silent Don. It's about Santo Trafficante Jr the Tampa mob boss. I'll read anything mob related. Wonder if it's cause i'm part Italian?
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Working my way through the Sherlock Holmes canon once again. Except this time, instead of lugging about my huge fully annoted and illustrated bound version (about ten pounds!) I'm reading it on my Kindle - which has become my current favorite cigar smoking accessory.
  • Options
    Luko:
    tshaw:
    j0z3r:
    What's the title here? This is something I'd most definitely be interested in picking up.
    Its memoirs of the second world war written by winston churchill, great book, i was never interested in world war one, but because it played such a large part in world war two, he reviewed it briefly and it was very interesting I highly recommend it.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Doughty421:
    Silent Don. It's about Santo Trafficante Jr the Tampa mob boss. I'll read anything mob related. Wonder if it's cause i'm part Italian?

Just ordered this today from Barnes and Noble ...be here in a week...I read a chit-ton of mob related books as well Doughty421
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    Doughty421:

Just ordered this today from Barnes and Noble ...be here in a week...I read a chit-ton of mob related books as well Doughty421
    Let me know how it is guys. Sounds good.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Just finished 1984 yesterday and am now working through the Professor Challenger Omnibus (The Lost World, etc.)
  • Options
    1984 is a great book, im reading a book called made men about the new jersey mafia. i have gotten a great deal of reading done because i get to spend 2 hours outside everyday drinking a few beers smoking a nice churchill and reading. It is the most relaxing/enjoyable part of my day
  • Options
    Isn't that the truth...On my weekends, I spend no less than 4 hours outside reading and smoking (not all at the same time), on the weekdays I manage 1 1/2 - 2 hours. Been plowing through books.
  • Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I'm halfway through Dune right now. Its good =D
  • Options
    adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    Catch 22 for the third or fourth time. Awesome book.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    gmill880:
    Doughty421:

So far it's pretty good. There is a chapter about his involvement in the JFK asassination. If you want first hand account on the mob, either read Underboss by Sammy the Bull himself or Gotti Rise and Fall. Another good one is Five Families. It's as big as a dictionary but it's about all of the families.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Doughty421:
    madurofan:
    gmill880:
    Doughty421:

So far it's pretty good. There is a chapter about his involvement in the JFK asassination. If you want first hand account on the mob, either read Underboss by Sammy the Bull himself or Gotti Rise and Fall. Another good one is Five Families. It's as big as a dictionary but it's about all of the families.
    I just picked up Five Families. I'll keep an eye out for the rest.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The Vaccine Book, exciting right?
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    The Vaccine Book, exciting right?
    Second only to "The Anatomy of Blood Borne Pathogens". Riveting stuff right there. :D
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    as crazy as it sounds, i think a book on pathological anthropology would be great. unless ive mixed my words here that would be a book about how diseases have changed the way a society works.
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Um... I think that's correct. I was premed for the longest time (IE two years, double majoring in psychology and biology) but I was burning myself out. So I dropped the biology and premed status and now I get to graduate a year early, and hopefully (if my GPA can recover) go on to a doctoral program. But, along the book lines, for the past month I've been trying to memorize the DSM-IV TR. Which is a snoozefest.
  • Options
    adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    Kuzi -- check out "The Ghost Map" by Steven Johnson. Its about the plague in England and its effect on science and society there. Pretty much what you described.

Any of you mafia buffs ever read "The Valachi Papers" by Peter Maas? I think its about the FBI's first mob informant. (Same author also wrote Serpico, which is on my "to read" list with about 500 other books haha)
  • Options
    The Valachi Papers is on my list. I think he was the first made man to flip on the mob. Should be a good read.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    as crazy as it sounds, i think a book on pathological anthropology would be great. unless ive mixed my words here that would be a book about how diseases have changed the way a society works.
    A book right along this line is Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. A couple of boring parts but for the most part a very interesting and emcompassing book. Lots and lots in there about disease, its origin, its effect on society and the affect on other societies as they are introduced to it and why they didn't have it on their own, etc. etc. The main thesis of the book is why cultures evolved so differently from each other.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    thanks for the recommendations guys!