Home Non Cigar Related

What are you reading tonight ...

Comments

• zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    bigharpoon:
    The Vaccine Book, exciting right?
    Hey, it kept me on pins and needles.... They really stuck it to that guy in the end.
  • adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    zoom6zoom:
    bigharpoon:
    The Vaccine Book, exciting right?
    Hey, it kept me on pins and needles.... They really stuck it to that guy in the end.
    I have to inject my own opinion that we should innoculate the forum from such puns. hahaha :-p

Although I guess as a fellow BOTL we should immunize you from reprisal. (sorry i had to)
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Just finished the scarecrow by Michael Connelly.
    It was a page turner
    Plot was a little simple, but overall a good book.
    Just read The Complete History of Jack the Ripper" by Philip Sugden. Amazing book. I was always interested in the subject, so perhaps I'm a little biased, but this book pretty much analyzes not only all the facts and theories, but other books. I felt it was very middle-of-the-road and that the author wasn't forcing his own theory down your throat as much as he was giving you info and letting you decide.

Kinda pisses me off that we'll never really know who he was...
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Reading "Liberty and Tyranny" from Dr. Mark Levin. Interesting read for those who enjoy conservative manifestos. Had to do something, getting aver a wicked-nasty stomach virus that shot my 3 day weekend to hell!
    Jetmech_63:
    Reading "Liberty and Tyranny" from Dr. Mark Levin. Interesting read for those who enjoy conservative manifestos. Had to do something, getting aver a wicked-nasty stomach virus that shot my 3 day weekend to hell!
    Just finished "Fiasco" by Tom Ricks (reporter). Pretty good read, but now i'm interested in counter-insurgency theories and have no military background to help me navigate :(
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    adamkhalil:
    Jetmech_63:
    Just finished "Fiasco" by Tom Ricks (reporter). Pretty good read, but now i'm interested in counter-insurgency theories and have no military background to help me navigate :(

Put that law career on hold man and join up ...The way Obama's going we are going to need more soldiers than lawyers anyway , especially when he trys to make it the United Muslim States of Obama ...whoops ...did I say that out loud ???
    too late -- I'm reading "Legacy of Ashes" now, so I want to do intelligence work. lol.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Been plugging through Sam Sheridan's book "A Fighter's Heart." Interesting book (his own accounts of travels and training to become an MMA fighter - it was lent to me by a friend who also trained in Muay Thai) but not always very well written. At times, it seems like a jumbled recollection of thoughts and memories, but then again, that's basically what it is. It just makes it a slow read.

Before this, I was into a whole series of books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child that followed the book "Relic." Very well written, real page-turner type novels. I just finished the 6th book in the series and they just released their newest one - I think it's number 9 in the series.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I just finished the Odd Thomas series, started Odd Thomas last weekend and just finished up the fourth book in the series today. Apparently Mr. Koontz is planning on writing a total of 6 books for the series, can't wait for the next two. I think this is my favorite work of his next to "From the Corner of His Eye".
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'm reading Grisham's The Testament right now. About half way through, damn good book.
    I'm a big fan of grisham. Critics always attack how his plots are very similar, but I like the books. Rainmaker is my favorite (good movie too)
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I finished up reading A Time To Kill last week...I enjoyed that one...better than the movie. Aside from that, I've been nose-deep in Dean Koontz books...I'm gonna run out sooner than later.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    adamkhalil:
    I'm a big fan of grisham. Critics always attack how his plots are very similar, but I like the books. Rainmaker is my favorite (good movie too)
    You can't say that about the testament, its still a legal thriller but its definetly different. The Painted house was another favorite of mine.
  • Doughty421Doughty421 Posts: 39
    Where the the Willows Whisper by Chad Arthur and Breakaway by him also. It's only his 1st and 2nd novel by him and he is off to a pretty good start. Guess this is a plug because he's a great friend of mine. www.ChadArthur.com and tell him Doughty sent ya!
    j0z3r:
    Aside from that, I've been nose-deep in Dean Koontz books...I'm gonna run out sooner than later.
    Have you read From the Corner of His Eye yet? That is hands-down my favorite Koontz book.
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:
    Aside from that, I've been nose-deep in Dean Koontz books...I'm gonna run out sooner than later.
    Have you read From the Corner of His Eye yet? That is hands-down my favorite Koontz book.
    I swear I have a copy but I can't find it and I don't want to buy another unless I'm sure I don't have it...so, long road to a short destination, No, I have not read it. I think my favorites so far have been False Memory and Dark Rivers of the Heart, giving the nod to the latter of the two.
    j0z3r:
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:
    I swear I have a copy but I can't find it and I don't want to buy another unless I'm sure I don't have it...so, long road to a short destination, No, I have not read it. I think my favorites so far have been False Memory and Dark Rivers of the Heart, giving the nod to the latter of the two.
    I don't think I have read either of those two. I just finished up the Odd Thomas series, the books he has done for it so far anyways. If you haven't read them yet either, I highly reccomend that line. I'm really waiting on the third of his Frankenstein books to come out, it has been due for about four years now, so who knows.
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:
    I don't think I have read either of those two. I just finished up the Odd Thomas series, the books he has done for it so far anyways. If you haven't read them yet either, I highly reccomend that line. I'm really waiting on the third of his Frankenstein books to come out, it has been due for about four years now, so who knows.
    You and me both buddy. I went through the first two Frankenstein books in about 4 days then headed on over to the used book store to pick up a paperback of the third...found out it hadn't been released and I didn't know what to do with myself, kinda lost my sense of purpose. :)

Ih you haven't read Dark Rivers of the Heart, read it, it's a great story and very well executed...not as riveting as Frankenstein, but in my opinion a much better story. Same goes for False Memory, it's an intricate web that slowly unravels the further you read.
    j0z3r:
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:
    You and me both buddy. I went through the first two Frankenstein books in about 4 days then headed on over to the used book store to pick up a paperback of the third...found out it hadn't been released and I didn't know what to do with myself, kinda lost my sense of purpose. :)

Ih you haven't read Dark Rivers of the Heart, read it, it's a great story and very well executed...not as riveting as Frankenstein, but in my opinion a much better story. Same goes for False Memory, it's an intricate web that slowly unravels the further you read.
    I will definately check those out. I just picked up three today, Intensity (I had this book a long time ago, just never read it and don't know what happened to it), The Mask, and Cold Fire. I'm only a few chapters in to Cold Fire, but so far it is really good. I think I still have my copy of From the Corner of His Eye, when I get my household goods delivered in LA, I will send it to you if I can find it.
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:

I will definately check those out. I just picked up three today, Intensity (I had this book a long time ago, just never read it and don't know what happened to it), The Mask, and Cold Fire. I'm only a few chapters in to Cold Fire, but so far it is really good. I think I still have my copy of From the Corner of His Eye, when I get my household goods delivered in LA, I will send it to you if I can find it.
    Intensity is damn good, I really liked that one...straps you in at the beginning and doesn't let go until it's done. Check out Velocity too, another thrill ride.
  • naughtnaught Posts: 56
    I'm bad about reading too much at once, but mainly book two of Song of Ice and Fire: Clash of Kings... and Musicophilia by Oliver Sacks. Skimming through an old banned book, Might is Right, that Anton La Vey ripped off.
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    Tonight I will be re-reading Airframe by Michael Crichton. I originally read it almost 10 years ago in High School... I remember it being good back then... Feels like so long ago...
    Just finished Cold Fire, another great Koontz book. I got the first chapter down on Intensity, and it is living up to its name so far.
  • jeff_connorsjeff_connors Posts: 483
    All tomorrows parties by William Gibson ...any fans of the matrix will like his books as the movie has stolen many of the concepts from the books...I suggest getting your hands on necromancer and mona Lisa overdrive ASAP...
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    jeff_connors:
    All tomorrows parties by William Gibson ...any fans of the matrix will like his books as the movie has stolen many of the concepts from the books...I suggest getting your hands on necromancer and mona Lisa overdrive ASAP...
    Matrix you say... Concepts that make one quesitons their very existence in this world you say... Hmmm (scratching chin in contemplation) Mr. Connors, I like the way your mind works...
    Just got a Kindle for my birthday. It hasn't even arrived yet and I probably have 30 books loaded up on it. Got a LOT of reading to do this summer! Going to try and break away from the Ice and Fire series long enough to read the first book in the Axis of Time series, Weapons of Choice. Anyone read that? Sounds fun.
  • jpclotfelterjpclotfelter Posts: 294
    Luko:
    madurofan:
    Luko:
    And late last night I started a book my wife got me for Christmas, How Football Explains America, by Sal Paolintonio. Good first chapter.
    Luko let me know how that book is. I've been interested in it ever since I heard about it.
    The first chapter is "How Football Explains Manifest Destiny." That should be good...go west, young man. Of course, in 2008, I can tell you that East Coast teams can go west and win, but West Coast teams can't go east and win.
    First off Luko, I have to tell you that as a lifelong Seahawks fan your Steelers logo disgusts me (Superbowl XL). But, you are right. West coast teams always have a difficult time going east and winning. I remember in Dennis Erickson's last year as coach in Seattle (98?) the Seahawks just had to go to New York and beat the pitiful Jets to get to the playoffs. Jets won. Erickson lost his job and Holmgren came to town.
    Need to Know: UFO's, The Military, and Intelligence by Timothy Good. Good stuff. and Through Our Enemies Eyes by Michael Scheuer I wanna make sweet tender love to my Kindle.
  • TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Just finished up Running with the demon by Terry Brooks - a fantastic read if you are into fantasy books.