Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What are you reading tonight ...

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy about a week ago, great read and I'm finding myself in a Cormac McCarthy type of mood, my goal is to read the border trilogy before October.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Cormac McCarthy is one of my all-time favorite authors. Nobody writes like that. His word usage and sentence structure create a mood and pace to a story that just can't be described it can only be experienced. What a pleasure to read something written by a true artist. My favorite: Blood Meridian. Not an easy read and not recommended for anyone's first McCarthy book but once you're hooked, boy, it's something.
  • Options
    andrewhandrewh Posts: 97
    Anytime I want to feel worse about civilization, I pick up a Cormac novel. But god they are good. Currently, rereading John Adams by David McCullough. Great book with a lot of insight of his life and reputation.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    My CCOM cigar mag .... ;)
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    Hey geno.. That just looking at pictures and fantasizing.. it's not the same.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:

Oh man, Kas ...if money were no object the damage I could do to that CCOM warehouse :)
  • Options
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:

Oh man, Kas ...if money were no object the damage I could do to that CCOM warehouse :)
    ...you and me both brother Gene..
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:

...you and me both brother Gene..
    And a third...I can almost picture walking the aisles and leaving a trail of ashes and a cloud of smoke in my wake. B-E-A-utiful!
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Just finished the third of Dean Koontz's Frankenstein books, Dead and Alive. I've been waiting for this book for almost four years. When I found out it was finally being released on the 28th, I re-read the first two. He did it justice man, it was almost too much to cram into one book, but he pulled it off nicely.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Just finished reading a short story....

Did you know that Miller Genuine Draft only has 64 Calories??? That plot really twisted at the end...

And the antagonist gets 10cents in Michigan!!!!
  • Options
    Wow Lassie.. That sounds like a great story.. I'll have to pick that one up soon. (dude, that's what I missed most most about your absence. You friggin crack me up. )
  • Options
    I picked up The Husband by Dean Koontz this evening, didn't put it down until I had cleared nearly 200 pages. Man, talk about grabbing you and taking off....Koontz is so good at that, I'd be surprised if I didn't finish it tomorrow.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Lasabar:

Did you know that Miller Genuine Draft only has 64 Calories??? That plot really twisted at the end...

So, did you read it once, 6 times, 12, or faceplant?
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I picked up The Husband by Dean Koontz this evening, didn't put it down until I had cleared nearly 200 pages. Man, talk about grabbing you and taking off....Koontz is so good at that, I'd be surprised if I didn't finish it tomorrow.
    You pick up Dead and Alive yet Joe? Awesome read man, he finished off the series nicely.
  • Options
    cabinetmaker:
    Lasabar:

So, did you read it once, 6 times, 12, or faceplant?
    I read as many as I had, but good thing I didn't have the whole series, otherwise I may have read it backwards in the morning... ugh
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:
    You pick up Dead and Alive yet Joe? Awesome read man, he finished off the series nicely.
    Not yet. I need to go and get that one.
  • Options
    Madoff With The Money ...a good read about Bernie Madoff and his 50 billion dollar ponzi scheme ...
  • Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    GMAT Textbook and Idiot's Guide to Cigars
  • Options
    Today I finished The Apocalypse Watch by Robert Ludlum, I'm really enjoying his novels, they launch you into a complex story loaded with twists and turns and you don't know for sure what is going on until near the end.

I started reading The Trial by Franz Kafka tonight, in a word it's interesting. From what I've read so far, it is humorously absurd and offers a nice change of pace...I think I'll be looking into more from him in the coming months.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Just picked up Dune at the local Borders... Considering I've been a sci-fi/fantasy book nerd pretty much my whole life, I really have no excuse for not reading this before lol
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    I got a big meeting tomorrow for work, so I'm reading reports and numbers...

ugh....
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Guide to Christian Apologetics....
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    j0z3r:
    Today I finished The Apocalypse Watch by Robert Ludlum, I'm really enjoying his novels, they launch you into a complex story loaded with twists and turns and you don't know for sure what is going on until near the end.

I started reading The Trial by Franz Kafka tonight, in a word it's interesting. From what I've read so far, it is humorously absurd and offers a nice change of pace...I think I'll be looking into more from him in the coming months.
    If you like Ludlum, check out The Chancellor Manuscript. It's one of my favorites.
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Ok, so I haven't read for pleasure in years, so I started easy....especially considering I have pretty much no books.

I few months ago I picked up my sisters Twilight book. You know, the book/movie about teen vampires? Well she gave me all the books and last night I finished the 4th one...damn near 800 pages! They were easy reads, and while not riveting, were fun to read.

So, to counteract the "chick-lit", I am now reading "Duke We're Glad We Knew You (John Wayne's Friends and Colleagues Remember His Remarkable Life). So far it has been very interesting. John Wayne is one of my all time favorite actors/people. I grew up watching his movies with my father, so I have high expectations about this book!
  • Options
    The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown -entertaining -you will enjoy if you liked The DaVinci Code ...
  • Options
    Matt Marvel:
    j0z3r:

If you like Ludlum, check out The Chancellor Manuscript. It's one of my favorites.
    Thanks for the suggestion...that will probably be the next one I read as long as the library has it. I'm so over buying books anymore, $3 for my library card and all the books I can read. :D