Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What are you reading tonight ...

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Just started Joe Haldeman's Accidental Time Machine. Entertaining start and a new twist on an old theme. Should be a fairly quick read.
  • Options
    brc81brc81 Posts: 249
    Been playing catch up on several economic / investing related books I've had on my bookshelf for a long time.  Tonight I've been reading "The Wealthy Barber" by David Chilton which my parents got my after I graduated college.  Started it long ago but never finished it. 
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Well, just picked up 2 books today, one for a class and the other for pleasure. The one I'm reading for class is One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (It's for a film class.), not terribly excited for it, have to read the entire thing in 5 days, but its an excuse to light up a cigar and smoke on the patio.

The book I'm really excited about is World War Z, sequel to The Zombie Survival Guide. Sounds dumb, but it's actually a pretty good read, touches on everything from Americans being a nation of individuals to how businesses profit on catastrophes.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Started Wells' War of the Worlds last night. It's off to a good start.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Garen B:
    Well, just picked up 2 books today, one for a class and the other for pleasure. The one I'm reading for class is One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest (It's for a film class.), not terribly excited for it, have to read the entire thing in 5 days, but its an excuse to light up a cigar and smoke on the patio.

The book I'm really excited about is World War Z, sequel to The Zombie Survival Guide. Sounds dumb, but it's actually a pretty good read, touches on everything from Americans being a nation of individuals to how businesses profit on catastrophes.
    I love Cuckoo's Nest, probably one of my favorites.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    A short story, but still one of my favorites.. Of Mice and Men..
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    I loved that book, felt so bad for George at the end.
  • Options
    Garen B:
    kaspera79:
    Yeah, it kind of leaves you feeling down, I saw a play with Gary Sinese and John Malkovich in a Chicago stage adaptation What a great experience.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Garen B:
    kaspera79:
    Yeah, it kind of leaves you feeling down, I saw a play with Gary Sinese and John Malkovich in a Chicago stage adaptation What a great experience.
    That would be great...I think Malkovich is among the best actors out there. Sinese is no slouch, either.
  • Options
    Luko:
    kaspera79:
    Garen B:
    kaspera79:
    That would be great...I think Malkovich is among the best actors out there. Sinese is no slouch, either.
    They both got their start as members of what is called The Steppenwolf Theatre Group here . So they Continue to be stage performers.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Those 2 also made a movie of it. You might want to check it out, Luko.
  • Options
    Just finished up World War Z, going up on my top 10 favorite books.
  • Options
    urbino:
    Those 2 also made a movie of it. You might want to check it out, Luko.
    I did see it...thought it was excellent. Pretty darn good book, too.
  • Options
    ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    Working on Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay. Newt Gingrich came to speak to my class last week and recommended it. Good, timely read on economic bubbles.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I've been reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. I'm about halfway through. I'm glad I finally took the time to pick up one of his novels. I'll definitely have to check out some of his other stuff.
  • Options
    MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    I just started reading The Republic of Plato. I'm only on the third chapter, but so far I love this book! I <3 Socrates.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Continuing on my Dean Koontz binge, I finished Seize the Night today and started on The Servants of Twilight...looks to be a good one so far...not that I've been disappointed with any of his novels yet, except for Icebound...terrible, just terrible.
  • Options
    Matt Marvel:
    I've been reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut. I'm about halfway through. I'm glad I finally took the time to pick up one of his novels. I'll definitely have to check out some of his other stuff.
    I love that book, and Kurt Vonnegut. Slaughterhouse Five sorta reminds me of what a Quentin Tarantino movie would look like if it was made into a book.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Garen B:
    Matt Marvel:
    I love that book, and Kurt Vonnegut. Slaughterhouse Five sorta reminds me of what a Quentin Tarantino movie would look like if it was made into a book.
    I like the humor of it. It's this really serious subject, but the way he tells it is just brilliant. Any suggestions for which of his works I should check out next?
  • Options
    SmokeRingSmokeRing Posts: 61
    Last night I was reading my new issue of Vintage Guitar magazine. Tonight I'll be finishing up the "Gun Digest's Book of the 1911 Vol 1" and if my stogie lasts longer than that the new issue of "The Backwoodsman" magazine.
  • Options
    Not a clue, haven't had the time to go out and see which one of his books I would like. Your guess is as good as mine.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    I just picked up a new book, "Take Down: The Fall of the Last Mafia Empire." It should be a pretty good book. It's about the cop that went undercover to take down the Gambino crime family and the Mafia hold in NYC in the early 90's.

Also am borrowing "Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity" by John Stossel from a friend and reading it.
  • Options
    JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Scrambler:
    Working on Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay. Newt Gingrich came to speak to my class last week and recommended it. Good, timely read on economic bubbles.
    If you like books on economincs (and thr trouble with bubbles), check out Dr Ravi Batra "The New Golden Age- The comming revolution against political corruption and economic chaos"
  • Options
    SmokeRingSmokeRing Posts: 61
    Tonight I will be continuing the Sawyer translation of The Art of War this evening.
  • Options
    A book about economic psychology called Animal Spirits.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    My War Gone By, I Miss It So

So far this is a pretty well written and an interesting read. Autobiographical by Anthony Loyd. He is a young man from a military family who decides to go to Bosnia during their civil war in search of some intangible meaning to life. He flies into Sarajevo on a UN plane and starts his journey from there, completely alone and without a job or an ally. While managing to supporting his drinking and drug habits he seeks out the ever changing front lines and eventually becomes a successful photo-journalist, drawing many parallels between war, its participants and substance abuse.
  • Options
    If you're interested in that part of the world, harp, you might like Rebecca West's classic "Black Lamb and Grey Falcon," which is about Yugoslavia just before WWII. (However, it's longer than Uncle Bob's tapeworm.)
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    urbino:
    If you're interested in that part of the world, harp, you might like Rebecca West's classic "Black Lamb and Grey Falcon," which is about Yugoslavia just before WWII. (However, it's longer than Uncle Bob's tapeworm.)

That sounds good, I'll check it out. Thanks for the lead.
  • Options
    Well, the film class that I'm taking is finally rolling around to the movie I have been looking forward to the most, Apocalypse Now. Consequently I have to read the book that it is based on, Heart of Darkness, jeez this stuff is dense. Good, but dense, the way I am having to read this is reminding me of when I had to read Turn of the Screw, basically I have to read a page, then read it again to get what is really being said and a third time to fully comprehend it, so saying this is a slow read is an understatement.

At least I get an excuse to watch a badass movie out of this though.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had to read Heart of Darkness in my senior AP English class...I never even got halfway through it. That book is, in my opinion anyway, far above high school comprehension level....I think I would have to really sit down and force my way through it now even.