Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What's for dinner?

Comments

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Last night was ham and scalloped potatoes. Tonight is beef stroganoff.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    You've been eatin' well!!!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    Martel:
    You've been eatin' well!!!

It's my favorite pastime, followed closely by cooking the food and smoking cigars!
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    I broke out the slow cooker for dinner tonight to make a ham and corn chowder and use up some of my leftover ham from a couple of nights ago. It smelled sooooo goooood when I walked in the door after work. Now just have to finish it up with butter and cream. Well, half and half, actually.

Last night the kids made supper...English Muffin Pizzas. Well, okay, mom browned the Italian Sausage and dad put it in and took it out of the oven, but opening the muffins and constructing the pizzas was the kids job. They got mine just right with some mushroom, olives, sausage, and pepperoni.

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a pork loin roast and homemade French onion soup.
  • Options
    I love good french onion soup, but have never made it at home for real. I keep meaning to, but just never do.

• Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    I love good french onion soup, but have never made it at home for real. I keep meaning to, but just never do.
    i made it a couple weeks ago! not that hard or time consuming, and soooo good!
  • Options
    Do you caramelize the onions in cast iron or stainless cookware first? That's what I seem to remember it calling for. I've got both, so no worries on equipment. Might have to make some crusty bread and pick up some provolone...yum.

• Options
    Martel:
    I broke out the slow cooker for dinner tonight to make a ham and corn chowder and use up some of my leftover ham from a couple of nights ago. It smelled sooooo goooood when I walked in the door after work. Now just have to finish it up with butter and cream. Well, half and half, actually.

Last night the kids made supper...English Muffin Pizzas. Well, okay, mom browned the Italian Sausage and dad put it in and took it out of the oven, but opening the muffins and constructing the pizzas was the kids job. They got mine just right with some mushroom, olives, sausage, and pepperoni.
    Sounds like you got some talented young chefs to helping you out there ;-)

And,,, YUM! Sunday is (almost) always homemade pizza night at our house, reading your post got me hungry and I can't wait til sunday!

• Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Do you caramelize the onions in cast iron or stainless cookware first? That's what I seem to remember it calling for. I've got both, so no worries on equipment. Might have to make some crusty bread and pick up some provolone...yum.
    i used stainless, and it worked fine, thought about using cast iron, but i thought it would be a *** to clean LOL
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Chicken noodle soup, crackers and cheese, mucinex and codeine cough syrup. I'm sick as a dog. It's going to be a bad weather weekend anyways so not bad timing if you ask me.
  • Options
    You had me until mucinex and cough syrup. Sorry to hear you're under the weather, figuratively and literally. Get better...is that soup homemade?

• Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    Indoor Beer Can Chicken!! Easy to make and delish.
  • Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Homemade Venison stew over rice
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    pelirrojo:
    Chicken noodle soup, crackers and cheese, mucinex and codeine cough syrup. I'm sick as a dog. It's going to be a bad weather weekend anyways so not bad timing if you ask me.

I wish it was homemade, but I didn't have the strength to do anything but open a can. Feeling much better now though. Tonight it's boneless pork chops, corn on the cob, and some grilled green onions with a sierra nevada pale ale to wash it down.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Big T smokes:
    Indoor Beer Can Chicken!! Easy to make and delish.
    sounds interesting
  • Options
    pelirrojo:
    pelirrojo:

I wish it was homemade, but I didn't have the strength to do anything but open a can. Feeling much better now though. Tonight it's boneless pork chops, corn on the cob, and some grilled green onions with a sierra nevada pale ale to wash it down.

Glad you're feeling better. My wife makes the best chicken noodle soup. Add some fresh-baked bread, and it will cure you right up no matter what ails you. The only problem is that she hates bones, so you know who gets stuck picking all the meat off the chicken carcass. Tedious. And don't blame me if a bone sneaks into the final product.

• Options
    Martel:
    Glad you're feeling better. My wife makes the best chicken noodle soup. Add some fresh-baked bread, and it will cure you right up no matter what ails you. The only problem is that she hates bones, so you know who gets stuck picking all the meat off the chicken carcass. Tedious. And don't blame me if a bone sneaks into the final product.
    Yes, it's tedious .... but not that bad of a job IMO, since you get to taste test/quality control the meat as you pick it apart.
    At least that's the reason I don't mind doing it

• Options
    Yeah, quality control is important, but I hate burning my fingertips. It's probably an even trade, especially given how many thanks I get from the wife and kids.

• Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    Pulled pork sammies, grilled chicken and ABT's.
  • Options
    Tonight I made meatloaf. I'm always trying different meatloaf recipes. This one tasted good, but it didn't hold together at all. On the side, we did mock mashed potatoes. It's a cauliflower puree. I actually thought it was really good, and the wife thought it was passable. Garlicy and creamy. The texture wasn't really like a good mashed tater. A little grainy instead of smooth. And we had a salad. There's a great produce shop we started visiting recently that's got much better quality and lower prices than the typical grocery store.

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Martel:
    Tonight I made meatloaf. I'm always trying different meatloaf recipes. This one tasted good, but it didn't hold together at all. On the side, we did mock mashed potatoes. It's a cauliflower puree. I actually thought it was really good, and the wife thought it was passable. Garlicy and creamy. The texture wasn't really like a good mashed tater. A little grainy instead of smooth. And we had a salad. There's a great produce shop we started visiting recently that's got much better quality and lower prices than the typical grocery store.
    My wife made an amazing meatloaf as well last night. She puts Blue cheese in the loaf which really sets it over the top for me. The best thing about meatloaf is sandwiches the next day.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Had a meatloaf sandwich for lunch today. Still can't believe how good they are!
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Sounds delicious.
  • Options
    Meatloaf sandwich with pickle and ketchup. Mmmmmm. Love those leftovers.

Last night made a honey-lime salmon fillet with real mashed potatoes and steamed asparagus. Salmon is my son's favorite meal. Kid has expensive tastes for a 9 year old.

Tonight I'm making a slow cooker "jerk" pork. I'll serve it with homemade mango salsa and some veggie on the side. I haven't decided what yet, and I have lots of produce to get rid of. Maybe some squash or broccoli.

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Homemade pizza with the works. Shame my wife burnt the crust but she insisted I wasn't leaving it in long enuf:(
  • Options
    WhoDeyGalWhoDeyGal Posts: 727 ✭✭
    Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup

• Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made chicken tacos tonight....
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I made Fish tacos with my own low cal slaw.. I could sell them suckers..so good. This Weight Watchers thing is making me change some Shizz up but, it's turning out great!
  • Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WhoDeyGal:
    Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup

Dang Nikki, that looks yummy!!