Home General Discussion

wife, girlfriend or significant other support your hobby?

Comments

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Irish, PM to you bro.....
    Thanks brother, gotta run for a few so I'll reply later this afternoon. Read it though and thanks a TON for the message ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    jgibv:
    Irish, PM to you bro.....
    Thanks brother, gotta run for a few so I'll reply later this afternoon. Read it though and thanks a TON for the message ;)
    You're welcome, Brett.
    No rush - just trying to help out.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    Jgibv and Marty, thank you guys both so much for such kind words and support! I don't think we will be able to buy a house yet since we still both have outstanding student loans and we haven't been at our jobs for more than a year, so no one will grant us a loan. However, we are looking at some rent to own places, and a few other choices where it would be a lease and is renovation friendly. Regardless when we get truly serious about it we will keep you all in the loop... aside from the new addy that is, can't have y'all getting ahold of it :)
    Irish, I got a guy you need to call, PM to you
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just depends on her mood. Shes prone to exaggerate and now and then she'll start with the " all you care about is those cigars" but most of the time she's cool with it. She did get me a nice tube and 4 sticks for my birthday.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    90+ Irishman:
    Jgibv and Marty, thank you guys both so much for such kind words and support! I don't think we will be able to buy a house yet since we still both have outstanding student loans and we haven't been at our jobs for more than a year, so no one will grant us a loan. However, we are looking at some rent to own places, and a few other choices where it would be a lease and is renovation friendly. Regardless when we get truly serious about it we will keep you all in the loop... aside from the new addy that is, can't have y'all getting ahold of it :)
    I feel your pain Irish. I switched from an employee (W2) last year to a 1099, and although I make a lot more now than I did then, I still can't get a home loan because of the switch. Keep your head up though, just means you have a little more time to find the right one.
  • Medic45Medic45 Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭
    Supportive????hmm well she thinks I'm crazy but likes this hobby over my last one which was video games!! Lol she is coming around and actually laughs at some of the threads I tell her about, it's like trying to explain to my 2 year old how to spell when I try to explain our terminology. Lol I actually caught her today as I sat next to her on the bed going threw my humi she was actually picking up some and smelling them and telling whether they smell good or not! I must keep her lol I have way to much invested in her lol
    marineatbn03:
    mmccartneydc:
    90+ Irishman:
    I feel your pain Irish. I switched from an employee (W2) last year to a 1099, and although I make a lot more now than I did then, I still can't get a home loan because of the switch. Keep your head up though, just means you have a little more time to find the right one.
    PM to ya marine
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Back at ya. Thanks. James
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Medic45:
    Supportive????hmm well she thinks I'm crazy but likes this hobby over my last one which was video games!! Lol she is coming around and actually laughs at some of the threads I tell her about, it's like trying to explain to my 2 year old how to spell when I try to explain our terminology. Lol I actually caught her today as I sat next to her on the bed going threw my humi she was actually picking up some and smelling them and telling whether they smell good or not! I must keep her lol I have way to much invested in her lol
    My wife likes to go thru my humidor to smell them. She says she can tell when I get a bad cigar, by the way it smells.

She has a "special" humidor that she has, that she keeps special cigars hidden from me. Those are ones that she thinks I need to save for special occasions. Currently, the ones I know about are a PSD4, Torano Tribute, PAM and an Opux X. She seems to spend more time taking care of it, than I do with mine. LOL!

When we went to Victoria BC, she looked up the cigar shop there and didn't tell me it was there, until she led me to it on our walk through BC. Then informed me that there were a couple special cigars there with my name on them.

I keep telling my boys that the secret is finding a woman who knows all your flaws, but still loves you and knows how to take care of you. Hell, I couldn't even find a coffee cup in my house, if my wife weren't around. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    My wife supports it, and actually got me more into it that I would have on my own. She got pissed when I was toying with the idea of selling off my collection.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    i envy those of you with supportive others.... i have yet to find someone in my family who is supportive of my hobby.
    taythegibs:
    i envy those of you with supportive others.... i have yet to find someone in my family who is supportive of my hobby.

I'll support ya Taylor pm me ur addy!
    Medic45:
    taythegibs:

LOL, he wouldn't give it to me either...I'm just gonna drive down there and start yelling "Taythegibs" like I'm Nell or something!!! Haha, that's funny, I don't care who ya are!
  • IrishAJIrishAJ Posts: 135
    Ken Light:
    taythegibs:
    My girlfriend hates the hobby.....
    Then keep her a "girlfriend" and avoid jewelry shops! lol ;D
    If she doesn't like the hobby as smoking there are other ways to het her involved like cool things to do with boxes, wrappers, photography etc.
  • IrishAJIrishAJ Posts: 135
    Obviously I support it since Brett got me involved almost a year ago. Brett supports me too since I obviously can't get him off the forum on occasion and there are even days where we convience eachother it's time for a kick back and stick day together.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My fianc
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    mmccartneydc:
    Medic45:
    taythegibs:

LOL, he wouldn't give it to me either...I'm just gonna drive down there and start yelling "Taythegibs" like I'm Nell or something!!! Haha, that's funny, I don't care who ya are!
    im by the dump!
    taythegibs:
    mmccartneydc:
    Medic45:
    taythegibs:

im by the dump!

hey Taylor watch the forums. !!
    im going back in my hole...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    The wife has always been supportive of "hobby". When we lived in Chesapeake she would even hit up the B&M with me occasionally and play checkers with the boys.

She will by them for me occasionally most recently a Monte 75th. And often will help me figure out something I'm tasting.
    Medic45:
    taythegibs:
    mmccartneydc:
    Medic45:
    taythegibs:

im by the dump!

hey Taylor watch the forums. !!

Hey doc you have a VIP PM
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Indeed, we are blessed. We need so little materialistic things in life but we all need passionate love, friends, wife and a family. Life is not always perfect but as long as we have love to live we are rich. Thanks for sharing your story with us Brett. Life is too short so we should cherish whatever we have today.
    90+ Irishman:
    rzaman:

My wife completely supports my cigar passion and hobby. She is the one who came up with the Man Cave idea, decorated it with leather couch. She also planned my outdoor smoking set up with banana leaf furnitures. Not only that she also make sure the maids clean my cave, ashtrays regularly. The air purifier and A/Cs are always clean. She dusts off my humidors once a week. She also host my cigar events with proper food and drinks. Last month I hosted a cigar event in my house for 50 people. She organized everything. Now she is also organizing my cigar trip to Cuba(with legal permission). When she went to Dominican Republic for a business trip, she brought some rare Opus X cigars for me. Also a full box of Don Alejandro cigar from Panama. Whenever she travels, she make sure to bring something cigar related item for me. When I visit Esteli or other cigar factories, she make sure my trips are well planned. Lately, she is pushing me to write a research paper about cigar history and the political impact about it because I have collected lots of historical information and data on it.

In return she asked for only one thing - I have to quit smoking cigarettes. I did it for six months but started again after my father's death. However, I am working on it. I do not hide it from her and she is helping me to quit. I am the luckiest man on earth. Here are some pictures of my man cave and outdoor smoking area decorated by my lovely wife.

Rip, thanks for sharing such a great story and piece of your life, something very treasured which is quite clear. Very very happy for you and honestly she sounds incredibly wonderful and reminds me heavily of my wife as well.

Several of you know Amanda from her small appearances on here, and others from visiting and talking with her and I first hand. She is, much like your wife, the definition of supportive and encouraging. I've been busting my hump working 3 jobs and 60-70 hrs/wk and she is working full time as well all in an attempt for us to be able to have a place to call our own here in the next 4-8 months hopefully. When the talks started about where we wanted to move, and what we wanted to get into the first two things that she said were that it needed to be close to a b&m so that I have a convenient place to visit and see friends, and that it needed to have a minimum of two bedrooms so that we could build a smoking lounge in the house because she wants me to be able to smoke inside and relax because she says I work hard. Lucky doesn't even begin to cover it, and I am thankful and blessed each and every day that I get to wake up by her side.

Rip, I am truly glad you have such a similar experience, and to all the other brothers who are supported by their significant others as well, I am truly happy for you all and glad that you get to share in a feeling like the one that my wife gives me!

Now, I'm sure I set myself up for some severe punishment, so bring it on boys lol
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Gibs, when God made us, he also made couple others to accompany us in life. They are all out there and we meet them in different time. Do not give up brother, life is so precious and each day is a great gift.
    taythegibs:
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    Gibs, when God made us, he also made couple others to accompany us in life. They are all out there and we meet them in different time. Do not give up brother, life is so precious and each day is a great gift.
    +1
    Not much else can be added to that!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • oilburneroilburner Posts: 91
    Mine got me into the hobby. Since we got married, my wife and mother-in-law would go pick out a cigar for me for every father's day. I smoked one now and then, but most of the time I left them in the ziplock bag from the b&m. Last year we went on vacation with the in-laws and my wife suggested I buy a few sticks to bring along and share with my FIL. I started trying some sticks and read some forums. After learning a little, I dug out the cigars my wife had been giving me. I found several gems including a opus x with at least 5 years on it. Fortunately it survived being improperly stored. It's been a buying spree ever since. Now she picks out which cigar I should smoke, and makes sure it's not sick. She also hangs out outside with me while I enjoy a cigar. The other fun part is that I found out one of my brothers really is into cigars as well. Now he comes over and herfs now occasionally. He even brought me a small selection of cc's from a recent trip to Mexico.
  • Fritz_the_CatFritz_the_Cat Posts: 27
    Yes to the first two. What did you expect with a handle like mine? One smokes with me and the other stays away from me when I smoke, winning!
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    90+ Irishman:
    Steve2010:
    Absolutely. When I'm home, she'll join me for a smoke once a week or so. She prefers Perdomo Champagnes and EPC New Waves.

She also checks the 500ct Indulgence once a week while I'm gone to make sure "the blue electronic thingy" (HumiCare EH) is between 68-70% and refills the cartridge when its running low.

For my birthday this year she went to Casa Fuente and pick up these (in case you miss them on the "What did you get today" thread:

Congrats Steve, that is BAD-AZZ bro! Come back safe and come back soon so I can finally bomb your azz!!!
    Amanda's and mine 1 year anniversary is coming up and she told me last night that she wanted to know where to buy CC's from because she wants to buy me a special box for our anny for me to lay down and age.... God I love this woman.
    Brett, PM.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    taythegibs:
    Sorry to hear that bro - but you know that we all got your back. My family (mainly mom, dad, grandma) weren't too big on it when I first started and gave me a lot of flack for it...but they've come around over the past few years. I think it's one of those things where they finally realized they're not going to change what I do so it's better to leave it alone.
    And if they finally came around, there's hope for you too dude ---- my mom even got me a CCOM gift card for my last bday and my dad got me a kicka$$ selection of cigars from the B&M for my bday too. I never in a million years would have imagined that happening. So yeah, keep up the hope.
    And my grandma still scorns me from time to time though saying "those things are bad for you" but I always tell her there's lots of other things worse for me.....
    Just keep your head up and keep on keepin' on.
    taythegibs:
    My girlfriend hates the hobby.....
    As far as this one though, hopefully she comes around. Maybe get her to try some infused sticks or smoke them when she's around so it's a "nicer" smell for her to get used to.

If not, Zino Davidoff had a quote about this:
    ""If your wife doesn't like the aroma of your cigar, change your wife."

LOL. Seriously best of luck with converting her though

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

PM back to you Medic
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    My wife is very supportive, she has bought me 2 humidors and always tells me to herf or go to cigar events. You know you have a winner when she is in constant contact with "The Beard". When I talk to "The Beard" on the phone he will say "say hi to Shelby for me".