Home General Discussion

wife, girlfriend or significant other support your hobby?

Comments

• RedRex06RedRex06 Posts: 155
    I'm not exactly sure how "supportive" my lovely wife is, per se, but she doesn't mind that I do it. She thinks its quite attractive, which is a big plus, but she doesn't like the smell of the smoke, so she won't kiss me while I taste like it, but I've snagged a couple while hitting the Cafe con Leche and she didn't mind. So, as my interest, collection, and investment grows, we shall see where it leads. I was discussing making a humidor out of an old trunk/chest thing today and she thought it would be pretty cool.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    well......my wife lets me smoke the occasional cigar in the basement when i haven't smoked in a few days so that is pretty supportive......i guess.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opened a package from bandy09 today, which contained a black tube. Took out The Pvnisher and wifey gave it a sniff, then said, "That is the best smelling cigar, EVER!!!" LOL! Yup... she's supportive!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Puff_Dougie:
    Opened a package from bandy09 today, which contained a black tube. Took out The Pvnisher and wifey gave it a sniff, then said, "That is the best smelling cigar, EVER!!!" LOL! Yup... she's supportive!
    Let her take the first few puffs on that one
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife used to get upset everytime I would talk about cigars, want to buy some, or smoke one. Things have changed recently, (ever since Rain hit me with a big hit and forced me into getting a coolidor). She must have just accepted things now cause she doesn't really get upset about them anymore.
  • curtpickcurtpick Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭
    Oh ya, now I remember, I do have a wife ! huh weird. I knew I heard something the other day.
    Family, Friends, Golf, Cigars, Fine Whiskey, Good beer.... is there anything else ?  Follow on instagram @crguy1961
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    curtpick:
    Oh ya, now I remember, I do have a wife ! huh weird. I knew I heard something the other day.
    Bwahahahahahahahahahahaha! Love it!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • I steal his best cigars. Here is one smoking at a concert over the summer.

smokin outside
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's cool. ^
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Don't let Snooby see it..
  • perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    Wait, there are women like this out there??? Man, I gotta find new places to hang out. ;)
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    yes she does
  • EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love when this older posts get resurrected, especially when I am hopped on on pain meds because I can't remember if I responded earlier and don't have the focus to go back and check. So I get to answer it again!

my fianc
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't say my wife is supportive, but she did put an allowance into the budget for cigars ??
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife actually bought me 50 cigars and has on more then one occasion fronted me the money for specials and Sprint. But, since I only smoke in my room I wonder if it was to keep me there. Hmmm....
  • AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    So my wife called me at work and said she wanted to try a cigar today! She wanted to see what the fuss was all about. Unfortunately, it didn't go so well (I gave her a 5 vegas gold corona). She had a hard time puffing, didn't like the taste, plus we were a bit rushed because she had to go to a meeting and wanted a few puffs before her shower. I'm thinking of a do-over that can be better planned and with at least an hour to spare so we can talk. Anyone have any ideas of a good smoke and strategy for a first time woman who has never smoked anything before, and hardly drinks?
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    You definitely need a relaxing setting - that's what it's all about. I would suggest an Acid Kuba Kuba or a A.F Hemingway Short Story. But how exciting that she's interested! In a way, I'm glad that my wife approves but doesn't want to try them - would double my monthly cigar bill :^)
  • UnicornUnicorn Posts: 451 ✭✭
    What a timely post. I'm slowly dragging my husband over to the dark side myself. All I can say is that I tried a Drew Estate Naturale first and it was sweet and girly. In my opinion anyways. And after a couple of those I tried the Epernay Illusione and Oliva V and decided big girl cigars were better.
    ^^ Thanks for that Unicorn. Nice to have a girl in the midst that can relate!
    AshMe:
    ^^ Thanks for that Unicorn. Nice to have a girl in the midst that can relate!
    For what it's worth, I didn't like the Java that much. It was the only cigar I've tried that I felt meh about.
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    Chemnitz:
    You definitely need a relaxing setting - that's what it's all about. I would suggest an Acid Kuba Kuba or a A.F Hemingway Short Story. But how exciting that she's interested! In a way, I'm glad that my wife approves but doesn't want to try them - would double my monthly cigar bill :^)
    Yeah I was thinking about infused, but none of my B&Ms carry ACID. :
    Take a look at the CAO Flavours sampler. DE Natural line is a great suggestion as Unicorn (Jaime) stated. A relaxed setting will help immensely too.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    Chemnitz:
    I have a few lying around here that I'm never going to smoke. PM your addy.
    I'm convinced you guys LIVE at the post office.
    Chemnitz:
    AshMe:
    Chemnitz:
    I have a few lying around here that I'm never going to smoke. PM your addy.
    Awesome man. You'll really be doing a brother solid. Thanks! PM sent.
  • TridentTrident Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Unicorn:
    I'm convinced you guys LIVE at the post office.
    more so single handedly keeping the PO in business
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    Ha! Well I get the "9:00 glare" I call it. Bout 9:00 after the little one is asleep I'm eyeballing my humidor as the wife is eyeballing me. Walking by my cooler, I quickly grab one on top and like I'm a thief when she isn't looking stealthily slip the rolled goodness into my pocket. My lighter and cutter is another challenge. It's in the kitchen nook. So I clean up a bit, make some racket and slip slip one and two into my other pocket. Thinking I'm Scott free I slip out the side door.
    Belaboured point I know, but fellas look up and thank your maker if your other half herfs with you or is completely fine with it.
    okay off my soapbox lol
    ^^ omg. I can totally relate. I think, "why the heck am I acting like I'm stealing from myself in my own home???!!!" Although...she HAS loosened up a bit when I want to smoke though. I only do the thief act when I have to bring in NEW cigars. :^O
  • Darktower007Darktower007 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    AshMe:
    ^^ omg. I can totally relate. I think, "why the heck am I acting like I'm stealing from myself in my own home???!!!" Although...she HAS loosened up a bit when I want to smoke though. I only do the thief act when I have to bring in NEW cigars. :^O
    Her big deal is what is spend on cigars. Even with a budgeted allowance I still get the glare..Very frustrating. But I rarely go out, no bars, no guy time ( with one little one and another due at minute)..just cigars so I think she somewhat understands....hopefully. lol
  • mb92755mb92755 Posts: 34
    I started picking up a smoke once in a while last year at this time and during the winter. She didn't mind. Complained about the smell on me. Then after I decided to put the sailboat up for sale and spend more time at home, I started buying and trying cigars in earnest. Giving up the boat is a major deal so I just said "cigars are my new vice" Period. If I spend $40-50 at a time on cigars it's still far short of what I've been spending on the boat. And I'm home.