Home Non Cigar Related

so what do you do for a living.

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    My view from work today. 
    Some days are so nice.

you near the Goonies?
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    0patience said:
    My view from work today. 
    Some days are so nice.

you near the Goonies?
    Goonies is my home town.
    But yes. This is one of the areas they filmed from.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
    When your day starts with a bang.
    Now I have about 6 hours of welding ahead of me when I get back. Good thing is, I'm off at noon today. Bad thing is, it will still be there tomorrow.

In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    When your day starts with a bang.
    Now I have about 6 hours of welding ahead of me when I get back. Good thing is, I'm off at noon today. Bad thing is, it will still be there tomorrow.

Hardfacing? 

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

edited June 2018
    Broken swivel, the bracket with the hoses on it. 
    Tore one of the pins out. 
    And the wear plate on the bottom are all tore out, so once the swivel and hyd motor are repaired, then have to air arc the wear plates off, what is left of them and weld on new AR steel. $1000 for the plate of AR steel alone.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    , then have to air arc the wear plates off, what is left of them and weld on new AR steel. $1000 for the plate of AR steel alone.
    Careful with that air-arcing Zero I've had 'em suddenly spring loose.   Back in the olden days when I did such things.  A guy I knew got launched out of the back of a 50 ton dump truck replacing the bed floor.  Whaang! went the truck, and there went Wayne, too, right out onto the floor of the shop.  Landed well, though, I told him I never knew he was an acrobat.  "Shut up!" he explained.  Had some other choice words that won't print out here, too.  :D
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^did he hit a k n o b on his way over the side?^^^
    A little dirt never hurt
    0patience said:
    , then have to air arc the wear plates off, what is left of them and weld on new AR steel. $1000 for the plate of AR steel alone.
    Careful with that air-arcing Zero I've had 'em suddenly spring loose.   Back in the olden days when I did such things.  A guy I knew got launched out of the back of a 50 ton dump truck replacing the bed floor.  Whaang! went the truck, and there went Wayne, too, right out onto the floor of the shop.  Landed well, though, I told him I never knew he was an acrobat.  "Shut up!" he explained.  Had some other choice words that won't print out here, too.  :D
    I have hydraulic clamps. The bottom of the bucket has a big ol dimple, so I have to clamp it or it will get away from me in a hurry.
    We never remove any plates or bound plates without clamping.
    Smaller buckets, I could just use mechanical clamps, but this one is too large, so the hydraulic clamps will be used. Plus I'll have to use a portapower to press out the concave in the bottom.
    Then the side plates have to come off now too, cause they are too worn. A machine shop will be doing the assembly work, cause disassembly will take me a week with trying to work emergency stuff in.
    I'll do the finish work when they are done.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    ^^^did he hit a k n o b on his way over the side?^^^
    Threw him out the back end.  Easy clearance, y'know.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    That’s quite the job on that bucket today Tony. Get after it brotha.

• ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    0patience said:
    I have hydraulic clamps. The bottom of the bucket has a big ol dimple, so I have to clamp it or it will get away from me in a hurry.
    Smaller buckets, I could just use mechanical clamps, but this one is too large, so the hydraulic clamps will be used. Plus I'll have to use a portapower to press out the concave in the bottom.
    Then the side plates have to come off now too, cause they are too worn. A machine shop will be doing the assembly work, cause disassembly will take me a week with trying to work emergency stuff in.
    What's the price of a new bucket? (Minus the swivel part) How bad are the teeth mounts worn?
  • firehouseguyfirehouseguy Posts: 996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did you check the specs on the rotary girder
    Cigars were made to be smoked, whiskey was made to be drank and women were made to be loved. The only thing I try to age is myself. 
    ForMud said:
    0patience said:
    0patience said:
    What's the price of a new bucket? (Minus the swivel part) How bad are the teeth mounts worn?
    Has a cutting edge, not rock teeth.
    It's a large ditch bucket.
    That's the easy part. Just replace the carbide edge and call it good.
    Replacement vs new is gonna be with in $4k, but the problem is, our equipment is on contract and it isn't scheduled to be replaced, so we repair. 
    And the wear plates wear out pretty quickly, cause our soil is sand, volcanic rock and clay. Mixed with 3/4 minus rock. Good combo to eat up metal.
    Digging buckets are just as bad and usually when I have to replace the rock teeth arbors, it's about the time the manufacturer changes styles on me.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Did you check the specs on the rotary girder
    The what? 
    The swivel? I have to rebuild it. The machine shop is cutting new bosses in the plates now. Once those are done, I air arc it apart, fit the new ends and weld it. Then take the frame work to the machine shop and they put it in their oven.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's gotta be pretty abrasive soil if it's eat AR steel.....Were lucky around here, it's mostly like select soil and clay unless you hit blue granite. ( Upper Delaware ) Then it's hammer time.  
    This will be the third set of plates on this bucket in 10 years. The plates are 5/8 AR and 2 have blown thru and the rest are about1/4" now.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    FP&A (Financial Planning & Analysis)
    0patience said:
    Got word today that they are supposed to be ordering me a new service truck in July. It will look like this. If I'm lucky, I'll see it by next winter. LOL!

Do you need to create a spec and send it out to bid?

edited January 2019
    NorCalR1 said:
    0patience said:
    Got word today that they are supposed to be ordering me a new service truck in July. It will look like this. If I'm lucky, I'll see it by next winter. LOL!

Fleet Ops does that. We don't get much of a say in the trucks.
    The specs and bids are already done. Now it's a wait and see if we actually get to spend the money on them. At about $180k per truck, 13 trucks adds up quick.

They deliver them to us, then we outfit them to how we want them.
    They are supposed to order 13 trucks and each one of us will outfit our trucks differently, according to how we work and where we work.
    If I got to spec it, it would have a 13 speed manual instead of an Allison auto.
    Why would  you have the mechanic who is getting the truck involved in the specs?
    That would make too much sense.

I will have to add drawer sets, I will swap out the driver's seat with my own and I will have to make a center console for it.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Sleddog46Sleddog46 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Retired now on permanent disability, but before worked with special needs children and adults. Had 5 out of 7 die in a year. High burnout job. I had to leave.
    You can't dispel Ignorance if you retain Arrogance!
    0patience said:
    NorCalR1 said:
    0patience said:

The specs and bids are already done. Now it's a wait and see if we actually get to spend the money on them. At about $180k per truck, 13 trucks adds up quick.

They are supposed to order 13 trucks and each one of us will outfit our trucks differently, according to how we work and where we work.
    If I got to spec it, it would have a 13 speed manual instead of an Allison auto.
    Why would  you have the mechanic who is getting the truck involved in the specs?

I will have to add drawer sets, I will swap out the driver's seat with my own and I will have to make a center console for it.
    Tony I meant did your Division spec it out or did you piggy back off another contract. It seemed like a quick turn around from July to send to bid and build...

Congrats on the new service truck. It’s always nice to get a new piece of equipment.

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those boys that fix stuff we tear up deserve the best,  in Tony's case a little umbrella arm that follows him where ever he goes.
    A little dirt never hurt
    NorCalR1 said:
    0patience said:

Tony I meant did your Division spec it out or did you piggy back off another contract. It seemed like a quick turn around from July to send to bid and build...
    Oh. It was spec'd last year by our fleet ops.
    We have piggybacked off of a DAS contract, but that's one of the reasons I currently have a truck that will only do 35 mph uphill.
    When we do use other contracts, it usually costs us more in the long run.
    It was at that point I learned that if you say, "Stupid people shouldn't breed, yet it's clear they do." during a meeting, there are some people who will take offense to it.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    dirtdude said:
    Those boys that fix stuff we tear up deserve the best,  in Tony's case a little umbrella arm that follows him where ever he goes.
    One thing about it, I will never have to worry about not having anything to do. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: