Home Non Cigar Related
Options

what did you drink today ?

Comments

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    Can't say I've tried that method, John. I'll have to give it a try. My next venture is to dig up a few blends from around the country/world and possibly do a small review on each.
    It's been quite some time since I had french press....been using Chemex for close to 3 years now...and it offers an exceptionally smooth cup, IMO.

Chemex is pretty darn easy to use, (no harder than a french press, at least) ... hardest part, I think, is getting the right coffee:water ratio....and also the water temp is critical - but that's the same for a french press.
    There's a very good step-by-step guide for Chemex here -- http://stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/chemex/ -- recommend checking it out if you decide to give Chemex a try....

And shoot me a PM with what kind of blends you're looking for, will look around, might have to send something your way.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Toombes:
    Can't say I've tried that method, John. I'll have to give it a try. My next venture is to dig up a few blends from around the country/world and possibly do a small review on each.
    It's been quite some time since I had french press....been using Chemex for close to 3 years now...and it offers an exceptionally smooth cup, IMO.

Chemex is pretty darn easy to use, (no harder than a french press, at least) ... hardest part, I think, is getting the right coffee:water ratio....and also the water temp is critical - but that's the same for a french press.
    There's a very good step-by-step guide for Chemex here -- http://stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/chemex/ -- recommend checking it out if you decide to give Chemex a try....

And shoot me a PM with what kind of blends you're looking for, will look around, might have to send something your way.

Thanks for the link. Sounds like it produces a great cup of joe. I'll have to dig up a set-up and give it a whirl.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Cracked a bottle of Klinkerbrick Farrah Syrah tonight. It's no Old Ghost but it's a fantastic Syrah. These guys continue to impress. I gotta put them up there with Bogle for CA wine makers.

Attended a big, industry wine tasting earlier this week - Eric Solomon Selections - I've posted on this one before. Some truly amazing wines. I'll post updates later on when I get a chance to go through all my notes.
  • Options
    Just mixed up my version of a Pimm's Cup Cocktail. I'm gonna call it the Pimm's Chalice:

2oz Pimm's No. 1
    1oz Gin (Hendrick's)
    1oz Fresh Lemon Juice
    1oz Fresh Lime Juice
    1oz Fresh Grapefruit Juice
    1oz Fresh Orange Juice
    1.5oz Simple Syrup
    3-4 Cucumber Slices
    2 Apple Slices
    2-3 Dashes Rhubarb Bitters
    Ginger Beer

Measure Pimm's No.1 and Gin into shaker, add cucumber and apple slices and muddle. Add remaining ingredients and shake with ice. Strain through a fine strainer to remove any clumps of fruit into a Collin's Glass (no ice) and top off with Ginger beer.

Yeah, it's a lot of ingredients but holy hell this is good. Nice, summery, refreshing drink with a good kick from the ginger beer. I can totally get into this. While it seems like a lot of ingredients, you can prepare all of the juices ahead of time and just do a 4oz pour of a mixture. Otherwise, just substitute all citrus juices with Lemon Juice. Apple slices and Rhubarb bitters can be left out for the lazy way out or sub in 1/2 oz of apple cider for the apple slices.

Cheers!
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    Two different Craft beers or at least Total Wine said they were craft beers.
    Allagash White- Meh was not impressed, and Hop Natch IPA, very well crafted in my opinion and tasted beautiful.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Yeah, it's a lot of ingredients but holy hell this is good.
    No **** !!!!! LOL.
    (But I'm sure all those citrus juices is why it tastes so dang good.)

That sounds like a real refreshing drink though....
    I like you're "condensed" version with just lemon juice --- I'll have to try that one out.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bombay:
    Allagash White- Meh was not impressed, and Hop Natch IPA, very well crafted in my opinion and tasted beautiful.
    Allagash ... MEH!!! WHAT!!! =)
  • Options
    Vision:
    Bombay:
    Allagash ... MEH!!! WHAT!!! =)
    Yeah Vision, when I saw it rated 93 for $9.00 plus for a four pack I was like no way am I paying 10 bucks for four if I can't try it out first. It wasn't terrible but wouldn't be something I would have as a go to for price point and flavor. Now the Hop Notch by Uinta Brewing on the other hand I would pay the price they were asking.
  • Options
    Allagash is definitely Craft. They're relatively small, up in Portland, Maine. Their every day brews are just ok. White is just a standard Belgian White. Nothing special. Their big beers are usually really good but they tend to be pretty expensive. Not always worth it but some are better than others. Their coolships and sours are really good but near impossible to get unless you live in/near Portland. They don't give much warning on releases, just tend to put them out and watch them disappear.

As for Uinta, I've found their regular releases (small bottles) are generally really bland and not worth trying. Their big bottle series (Crooked Line) are much better. You'd swear they're from a different brewery. Labyrinth and Oak Jacked being my favs of that line.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Allagash is definitely Craft. They're relatively small, up in Portland, Maine. Their every day brews are just ok. White is just a standard Belgian White. Nothing special. Their big beers are usually really good but they tend to be pretty expensive. Not always worth it but some are better than others. Their coolships and sours are really good but near impossible to get unless you live in/near Portland. They don't give much warning on releases, just tend to put them out and watch them disappear.

As for Uinta, I've found their regular releases (small bottles) are generally really bland and not worth trying. Their big bottle series (Crooked Line) are much better. You'd swear they're from a different brewery. Labyrinth and Oak Jacked being my favs of that line.
    Thanks Rob, seems with craft beers, ala cigars, the special releases small batches are hard to find. Will definitely gie the other Uinta stuff a go.
  • Options
    Mmmm mojitos .....
    Mint plant is growing like crazy and we picked up big bags of limes and lemons from the store last week ....

Made a traditional mojito for myself last night and a strawberry-lemon mojito for my wife.
    Perfect weather yesterday to sit outside, sip on mojitos, and watch the dog run around the yard.

• Options
    jgibv:
    Mmmm mojitos .....
    Mint plant is growing like crazy and we picked up big bags of limes and lemons from the store last week ....
    Then where the hell did it all go?! I'm mixing up Mint Juleps at one of my local liquor stores tomorrow night and can't find fresh mint ANYWHERE! I've checked 4 supermarkets so far and my mint is only starting to sprout. Hoping Home Depot has some mint plants that I can pick up.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    jgibv:
    Mmmm mojitos .....
    Then where the hell did it all go?! I'm mixing up Mint Juleps at one of my local liquor stores tomorrow night and can't find fresh mint ANYWHERE! I've checked 4 supermarkets so far and my mint is only starting to sprout. Hoping Home Depot has some mint plants that I can pick up.
    :-/
    Sorry Rob, good luck finding some. Check your local nurseries/garden centers too.
    I bet everyone's stocking up for the derby .....

Want me to cut some and send it to you?? Don't know if it would make it in time though ....

The previous owners planted some in the front bed and it is taking over, growing like crazy. I don't think they ever cut it back.
    Seriously, I'm surprised at how much is there ...

And I had a potted pineapple mint and spearmint plants that we moved over from the old house, and just planted them in-ground last month.

Also, I got a new chocolate mint and peppermint plant this season ... looking forward to using making teas and extracts/oils with them.

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shout out to Johnny!! Had the Founders oatmeal breakfast stout...Holy Crap!! Delicious and a slight buzz on just one, very nice! Thanks so much for letting me try this gem!!
  • Options
    Bigshizza:
    Shout out to Johnny!! Had the Founders oatmeal breakfast stout...Holy Crap!! Delicious and a slight buzz on just one, very nice! Thanks so much for letting me try this gem!!
    Glad you liked it, Jim.
    And yes, 1 will fill you up and get a slight buzz .... very potent. Great beer though, I could drink it morning, noon, or night.

I've seen a couple 4-packs on the supermarket shelves up until a week or so ago, PM if you're looking for more. I'll try to score you some.

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Mmmm mojitos .....

Made a traditional mojito for myself last night and a strawberry-lemon mojito for my wife.
    Perfect weather yesterday to sit outside, sip on mojitos, and watch the dog run around the yard.

Ive been wanting to try a mojito... what goes into them? I had a mint plant, but it got infested with aphids beyond saving :/ ill have to try again!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    jgibv:
    Mmmm mojitos .....

Ive been wanting to try a mojito... what goes into them? I had a mint plant, but it got infested with aphids beyond saving :/ ill have to try again!
    Cuban Mojito recipe
    "the original authentic recipe from Havana Cuba"

1 teaspoon sugar
    Juice from 1 lime (2 ounces)
    4 mint leaves
    1 sprig of mint (for garnish)
    White Rum (2 ounces)
    2 ounces club soda

There are countless recipes for the Mojito (pronounced moh-HEE-toh), but this version is for the one Hemingway himself enjoyed at the Mojito's place of birth: La Bodeguita del Medio in Havana, Cuba.

Place the mint leaves into a long mojito glass (a "collins" glass) and squeeze the juice from 1/2 lime over it. You'll want about two ounces of lime juice, so it may not require all of the juice from a single lime.

Add the sugar, then gently muddle the mint into the lime juice and sugar with a muddler - *do not shred the mint leaves*. You only want to slightly "bruise" them to release the oils from the mint.

Add ice (preferably crushed) then add the rum and stir, and top off with the club soda.. Garnish with a mint sprig. Add more sugar and/or lime juice to taste.

• Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    Gray4lines:
    jgibv:
    Mmmm mojitos .....

Cuban Mojito recipe

1 teaspoon sugar
    4 mint leaves
    White Rum (2 ounces)
    2 ounces club soda

There are countless recipes for the Mojito (pronounced moh-HEE-toh), but this version is for the one Hemingway himself enjoyed at the Mojito's place of birth: La Bodeguita del Medio in Havana, Cuba.

Place the mint leaves into a long mojito glass (a "collins" glass) and squeeze the juice from 1/2 lime over it. You'll want about two ounces of lime juice, so it may not require all of the juice from a single lime.

Add the sugar, then gently muddle the mint into the lime juice and sugar with a muddler - *do not shred the mint leaves*. You only want to slightly "bruise" them to release the oils from the mint.

Add ice (preferably crushed) then add the rum and stir, and top off with the club soda.. Garnish with a mint sprig. Add more sugar and/or lime juice to taste.
    Awesome... i will do this! Any recommendation on the rum? I only have some barcardi 151 for cleaning pipes, lol! Whats a good "starter" rum to start making mojitos?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    jgibv:
    Gray4lines:
    jgibv:
    Mmmm mojitos .....

Cuban Mojito recipe

1 teaspoon sugar
    4 mint leaves
    White Rum (2 ounces)
    2 ounces club soda

Awesome... i will do this! Any recommendation on the rum? I only have some barcardi 151 for cleaning pipes, lol! Whats a good "starter" rum to start making mojitos?
    I've used Bacardi silver only for about the last 2-3 years ....it's decent to mix with and fairly cheap. I'm sure it's not the "best" but Mojitos are the only drink I make with it and it works for me. I usually buy it by the handle, lasts me all summer.
    once i finish this one off though, I want to try some other brands and see if I can notice any difference.

PS --- had a couple yuengling drafts earlier today and a mojito with dinner :-D

• Options
    Poured Mint Juleps at one of my local liquor stores last night in preparation for the Derby today. I simplified the recipe and it worked out incredibly well.

Rather than muddling the mint, just take a package of fresh mint, remove the leaves and put them into your full bottle of Bourbon. Leave that on the counter for a few hours or in the fridge over night and you have mint infused Bourbon. Mix 2.5 oz of that with 0.5 oz of Brown Sugar Simple Syrup (brown sugar has more character and a more coating mouth feel than white sugar and it also dissolves into room temp water, so no heat necessary). over crushed ice, stir and top off with more crushed ice and a mint sprig. Cheers!
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Home brewed beer, straight from a corny keg - the Dry Irish Stout (extract kit from Norther Brewer). Not a dead ringer for Guinness, but it's got that familiar sour note that Guinness has, and it's been my go-to beer lately. Gonna be real sad when I run out out this stuff; only have 2 kegs, and the other one has Northern Brewers Big Honkin' Stout (very good, but has a sweet note to it that I don't care for - I hate anything sweet in my beers)
  • Options
    Not enough
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Stockyard Oatmeal Stout.
  • Options
    pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Copy of my Devil Dog Bar&Grill drink Menu: image
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    Copy of my Devil Dog Bar&Grill drink Menu: image

Love the menu, Tex!
    In reference to the above mentioned mojito recipe, try making them with brown sugar and a dark/spiced rum. Lots more flavor and character!
    I happen to be sipping a nice cup o' dark espresso roast French press to start the morning madness at work.
  • Options
    Toombes:
    Love the menu, Tex!
    In reference to the above mentioned mojito recipe, try making them with brown sugar and a dark/spiced rum. Lots more flavor and character!
    I happen to be sipping a nice cup o' dark espresso roast French press to start the morning madness at work.
    Now that sounds good, Dan. (both the mojito and the espresso roast)
    I don't keep any spiced rum around though .... I'll have to try and get one next time we're out.

Drinking some iced coffee (papua new guinea medium roast) today. Also been drinking some fresh-brewed lemon iced tea. And been trying to finish off my bottle of Four Roses Small Batch Bourbon.

• Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    I hate you all! Over 9 wks without a drink............
  • Options
    mmccartneydc:
    Great you'll be a thin crazy SOB selling excess skin for a drop...sad..
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Bigshizza:
    mmccartneydc:
    Bwahahahahahaaha! Too true! Actually, I just want to see what this diet does to my liver enzyme levels. I shall partake again, just not to excess as I may have done once or twice in the past! LOL
  • Options
    mmccartneydc:
    Bigshizza:
    mmccartneydc:
    Bwahahahahahaaha! Too true! Actually, I just want to see what this diet does to my liver enzyme levels. I shall partake again, just not to excess as I may have done once or twice in the past! LOL
    (That stinks)
    But awesome work, Doc! Way to "stay strong" and keep on track with the diet/weight loss ....
    You'll have to fix up something special for a celebratory drink when you hit your goal!

Finished off the Four Roses this week .....

And, I'm not sure which one I want to open next....

Rowan's Creek KY Bourbon?

Or Popcorn Sutton's TN White Whiskey

Hmm.
    Decisions, decisions...