Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    It is a losing battle unless jail time were the punishment for a first offense, if you take away their license, they can still drive, but they can't do it if they're locked up.
    In Virginia now its mandatory 30 days in Jail, first offense. Our DUI rate hasn't dropped since that was implemented.
    Yeah, that's what prompted the line after the one you quoted. Either the system is failing us, or we are failing ourselves...I'm not sure which, but neither one sounds all too good.
    I go back to what I've said many times. Stupid people are procreating faster than the intelligent ones. Put down your cigar and get to the procreation.
    That sounds like what I say...except I don't encourage procreation, with the people I know it would just be more fuel to the fire.
    Good point. This is probably true for most of my friends as well. I'm all for a little more darwinism as well. Let the stupid ppl kill themselves off.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Not a fact I'm proud of, but I drink and drink...never drinking to the point I'm blitzed, but definitely buzzed. Not cool, but for some reason I always end up driving after having a few beers. Tonight was a case in point. To answer the question of the thread, tonight it was ying-ying.
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    urbino:
    People who've gotten a DUI should be issued a license plate that advertises that fact. Make them neon yellow or something. It'd instantly give the police and other drivers an important piece of info, and it would add a shame factor to discourage the behavior.
    First thought: brilliant idea!

Second thought: bad idea.

How long would it be until a half dozen "cool" celebrities screwed up and got a DUI. Major names in the entertainment industry are getting these DUIs as well. Picture Britney Spears driving around in her hummer with a neon yellow license plate.... I think the incidence of DUI in the younger crowd would begin to increase, to the point that it almost becomes a trophy rather than an embarrassment.

This became the case with teen pregnancy when I was in high school. At certain schools (particularly in the inner city), girls were trying to get pregnant. Girls loved going to the mall on a Friday night with their baby in a stroller, and all the other girls giving her so much attention. I go to the mall once a year, but haven't been there yet this year (give me a couple more days)... Based on what I've seen, this trend hasn't really changed much.

Kids can seem to take any punishment and turn it into a reward.

Now, on top of that, what about people borrowing someone else's car? Or a couple that share vehicles like myself and my wife? If I got a DUI, could I get rid of my yellow plate by re-registering the car in my wife's name?
  • Options
    dutyje:
    urbino:
    People who've gotten a DUI should be issued a license plate that advertises that fact. Make them neon yellow or something. It'd instantly give the police and other drivers an important piece of info, and it would add a shame factor to discourage the behavior.

How long would it be until a half dozen "cool" celebrities screwed up and got a DUI. Major names in the entertainment industry are getting these DUIs as well. Picture Britney Spears driving around in her hummer with a neon yellow license plate.... I think the incidence of DUI in the younger crowd would begin to increase, to the point that it almost becomes a trophy rather than an embarrassment.

This became the case with teen pregnancy when I was in high school. At certain schools (particularly in the inner city), girls were trying to get pregnant. Girls loved going to the mall on a Friday night with their baby in a stroller, and all the other girls giving her so much attention. I go to the mall once a year, but haven't been there yet this year (give me a couple more days)... Based on what I've seen, this trend hasn't really changed much.

Now, on top of that, what about people borrowing someone else's car? Or a couple that share vehicles like myself and my wife? If I got a DUI, could I get rid of my yellow plate by re-registering the car in my wife's name?
    Why do you have to go and screw up a perfectly good idea by putting some thought into it. Don't you know we don't put any thought behind what we do here in America? Its the Bush way, uh I mean American way.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    dutyje:
    urbino:

Why do you have to go and screw up a perfectly good idea by putting some thought into it. Don't you know we don't put any thought behind what we do here in America? Its the Bush way, uh I mean American way.
    Ohio actually has that system. they are Red letters on a yellow background. I know some people that have and have had them. they get pulled over all the time. most DUI recipients dont put that much thought into it.

my wife and i call em "party plates"
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Ohio actually has that system. they are Red letters on a yellow background. I know some people that have and have had them. they get pulled over all the time. most DUI recipients dont put that much thought into it.

How long has this been in place? Have they had a chance to capture data on the success of the program?

"Party Plates" ... there you have it
  • Options
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:

How long has this been in place? Have they had a chance to capture data on the success of the program?

"Party Plates" ... there you have it
    Heh, thats awesome.

Immediately duty wants numbers.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Heh, thats awesome.

What can I say? I'm an analyst :)
  • Options
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    Heh, thats awesome.

Does your wife ever just smack you bc there are somethings you just shouldn't analyze?
  • Options
    madurofan:
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    Heh, thats awesome.

Does your wife ever just smack you bc there are somethings you just shouldn't analyze?
    I'm not a dumb analyst.. Over the years, through my analysis, I've learned the various types of things that people find it odd or offensive to analyze. Those spreadsheets remain private. She doesn't know my password, and we each have separate accounts on our computers :)
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    Heh, thats awesome.

I'm not a dumb analyst.. Over the years, through my analysis, I've learned the various types of things that people find it odd or offensive to analyze. Those spreadsheets remain private. She doesn't know my password, and we each have separate accounts on our computers :)

LMAO That's Dutyje's way of saying "she would if she knew about them" , you better hope you don't talk in your sleep Dutyje.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    Heh, thats awesome.

LMAO That's Dutyje's way of saying "she would if she knew about them" , you better hope you don't talk in your sleep Dutyje.
    And he better hope no one ever tells her that Windows sucks and just bc its a seperate account she can still open his docs if she knows where to look. God I hope you've never analyzed anythign like her weight or the intensity of PMS. You think your foot hurts ...
  • Options
    Hey Maddy. Now we have Dutyje running around all freaked out, trying to figure out a method for not talking in his sleep and looking for weak spots in his Windows OS, before wifey gets her hands on all that incriminating evidence.

Hey Dutyje can you run an analysis of the odds of your wife busting you eventually with these covert spreadsheets. Maybe you still have time and there is no need to panic...YET
  • Options
    LMAO. Ol' WP would have the jewels on the mantle next to the family picture with the 'X' over his face.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    Heh, thats awesome.

And he better hope no one ever tells her that Windows sucks and just bc its a seperate account she can still open his docs if she knows where to look. God I hope you've never analyzed anythign like her weight or the intensity of PMS. You think your foot hurts ...
    I assure you, all my documents are quite secure. I've been writing software for longer than you've been alive, so I'm at least well-enough equipped to hide my information from a non-technical person. If anyone worries me, it'd be my kids when they're old enough to go snooping around.

Her weight? No.. don't track that. I actually do have a periodic (hehe) reminder set up to warn me when I can expect her to feel "stressed out." I am going to begin working that into the way we interact with our kids, so that they are prepared to deal with her when she is expected to be in a foul mood.
  • Options
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    Heh, thats awesome.

I assure you, all my documents are quite secure. I've been writing software for longer than you've been alive, so I'm at least well-enough equipped to hide my information from a non-technical person. If anyone worries me, it'd be my kids when they're old enough to go snooping around.

Her weight? No.. don't track that. I actually do have a periodic (hehe) reminder set up to warn me when I can expect her to feel "stressed out." I am going to begin working that into the way we interact with our kids, so that they are prepared to deal with her when she is expected to be in a foul mood.
    Dude you're not that much older than I am and I'm pretty damn sure Doogie is almost double my age so ...

You are a brave man to have that periodic reminder. I only hope the message is encrypted.
  • Options
    deleted
  • Options
    Now I know you were trying to make a point here Maddy but was this really necessary?...

Dude you're not that much older than I am and I'm pretty damn sure Doogie is almost double my age so ...

Like I needed THAT thrown in my face. That's it! I'm only gonna talk to old farts around here from now on... you know like Urbi or Bad Andy. LMAO
  • Options
    LMAO ... sorry doogie it was purely scientific. I don't think Andy will appreciate being called old. Is Andy old? I always assumed he was young-ish
  • Options
    laker1963:
    deleted
    I wanna know what you originally said there.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    laker1963:
    Now I know you were trying to make a point here Maddy but was this really necessary?...

Like I needed THAT thrown in my face. That's it! I'm only gonna talk to old farts around here from now on... you know like Urbi or Bad Andy. LMAO
    Andy's old? I thought he was a whippersnapper.
  • Options
    urbino:
    laker1963:

Andy's old? I thought he was a whippersnapper.

Oooops, I just checked and Andy is only 33, not quite an old fart.

Of course now I only have you to speak to Urb's ... Andy is probably pissed LOL
  • Options
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    deleted

LOL That was just an editing thing. I tried a couple of times to fix it, but was unsuccessful so I deleted the text.
    But I was in a flurry of thought thru-out the whole thing, I can tell you that ! :)
  • Options
    laker1963:
    madurofan:
    laker1963:
    deleted

LOL That was just an editing thing. I tried a couple of times to fix it, but was unsuccessful so I deleted the text.
    But I was in a flurry of thought thru-out the whole thing, I can tell you that ! :)
    Come on be honest you're too old for a flurry of useful thought. It was more like... Did I take my blood pressure pill today, yeah I did, wait no that was the cholestrol pill. Let me check my daily pill divider thingy, oh ok I'm good all thats left is the little blue pill, its getting kinda late let me check with the old lady to see if I'll need that one ... Oh crap I was trying to type a post, ehh I'll just put 'deleted' and everyone will think I had something really controversial to say.

*types*'Deleted, eh.' ... Wait why am I putting eh these young whipper snappers will make fun of my for being a canuck again. *Deletes ',eh'* Ok, wow that was a a flurry of thought ...

That about right doogie? LOL you know we love ya
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Was this about my "writing software longer than you've been alive" comment? If you count when I wrote "Hello World" as my entry into software development, then it is true.
    madurofan:
    You are a brave man to have that periodic reminder. I only hope the message is encrypted.
    It's just an Outlook reminder on my work machine that pops up and says "Palpitations." I named it because the action usually begins when she looks around our (perpetually) messy house, sits down, sighs, and says, "This place is such a mess. It's giving me heart palpitations."
  • Options
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    Was this about my "writing software longer than you've been alive" comment? If you count when I wrote "Hello World" as my entry into software development, then it is true.
    madurofan:
    It's just an Outlook reminder on my work machine that pops up and says "Palpitations." I named it because the action usually begins when she looks around our (perpetually) messy house, sits down, sighs, and says, "This place is such a mess. It's giving me heart palpitations."
    You wrote hello world 27 years ago?

Palpitations, thats funny.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    yep
  • Options
    dutyje:
    madurofan:
    yep
    7?!? You were 7? You sir are a liar and a thief.
  • Options
    Yessir, I was 7. OK, technically, it would have been 26 yrs and 11 months (or so) ago. Atari 2600. BASIC Programming was one of the new cartridges I was given for Christmas. We got a C-64 the next Christmas, and I started learning sprites, peek and poke, etc. I wrote a bunch programs for D&D in the coming years, and even wrote the software to turn our school's computer lab into a polling station for an informal mock election run by the students. One year, I was given Turbo Pascal as a Christmas gift, and I began writing software for the PC (Jr.). Then I went to Turbo C by high school and C++ was, of course, what I learned in college.

You have to understand that the spreadsheets are a massive technical digression from my early days. I'm actually relativel incompetent technically these days :)
  • Options
    dutyje:
    Yessir, I was 7. OK, technically, it would have been 26 yrs and 11 months (or so) ago. Atari 2600. BASIC Programming was one of the new cartridges I was given for Christmas. We got a C-64 the next Christmas, and I started learning sprites, peek and poke, etc. I wrote a bunch programs for D&D in the coming years, and even wrote the software to turn our school's computer lab into a polling station for an informal mock election run by the students. One year, I was given Turbo Pascal as a Christmas gift, and I began writing software for the PC (Jr.). Then I went to Turbo C by high school and C++ was, of course, what I learned in college.

You have to understand that the spreadsheets are a massive technical digression from my early days. I'm actually relativel incompetent technically these days :)
    Damn and you married a prom queen/chearleader? After reading that I would've assumed you'd never had a girlfriend, lol.

I never had any real interest in computers until my senior year of High School. I played baseball growing up, played year round, thowing 85 MPH when I was 14. Its all I wanted to do. But my second love killed my first. I flipped a go cart doing around 50 MPH and did a lot of damage most of it was concentrated in my pitching hand though. I shattered it. So any kind of sports were out of the question for a couple years. My second love was speed, the automotive kind not the drug. After baseball was done I got heavy into cars. Restored an old beatle(twice), Built a dragster and an el camino with my Dad and of course we were always playing with the Corvettes.

Anyways computers have always been work to me, I love my job but I have little interest in coming home and doring more of it.