Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone else really excited for Founders KBS to come out in a couple more weeks? Being in Michigan, I'm optimistic about being able to get my hands on a few bottles!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    I've heard nothing but good things, unfortunately being in california ill probably never try one
  • Options
    big chunks:
    I've heard nothing but good things, unfortunately being in california ill probably never try one
    If I manage to get more than I personally want, I'll let you know.
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    big chunks:
    If I manage to get more than I personally want, I'll let you know.
    Wow that would be cool, let me know maybe theirs something out here you want to try that I can get
  • Options
    JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Anyone else really excited for Founders KBS to come out in a couple more weeks? Being in Michigan, I'm optimistic about being able to get my hands on a few bottles!
    Last year I could only get one bottle down here....ONE BOTTLE lol. The popularity of this beer is insane. I would much rather get a bottle of Doom when they release it I suppose.
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    JSaint:
    SleevePlz:
    Last year I could only get one bottle down here....ONE BOTTLE lol. The popularity of this beer is insane. I would much rather get a bottle of Doom when they release it I suppose.
    I've never had it before so I'm hoping it lives up to the hype. I certainly felt Breakfast Stout did, so that's a good sign.
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    JSaint:
    SleevePlz:
    I've never had it before so I'm hoping it lives up to the hype. I certainly felt Breakfast Stout did, so that's a good sign.
    I would say the hype is a bit much for the beer. Its good and all but I have had many other beers from other breweries that I would rather buy and are less expensive. Love Founders but KBS is a crazy hype beer.
  • Options
    JSaint:
    y2pascoe:
    JSaint:
    SleevePlz:
    I would say the hype is a bit much for the beer. Its good and all but I have had many other beers from other breweries that I would rather buy and are less expensive. Love Founders but KBS is a crazy hype beer.
    Well, I haven't had the KBS yet. I seem to forget about it when it comes out each year, so I have it written on my calendar this year. Lol, I'm even off of work that week, so I'll be hitting up all the nearby retailers that carry Founders on the 1st. I'm cautiously optomistic! I love a good stout, so I'm hoping I really like it.
  • Options
    SleevePlz:
    JSaint:
    y2pascoe:
    JSaint:
    SleevePlz:
    Well, I haven't had the KBS yet. I seem to forget about it when it comes out each year, so I have it written on my calendar this year. Lol, I'm even off of work that week, so I'll be hitting up all the nearby retailers that carry Founders on the 1st. I'm cautiously optomistic! I love a good stout, so I'm hoping I really like it.
    their imperial is amazing aged for a few months. Also all of dark horse stouts are fantastic .
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not to derail your all's stout/KBS train ....

But I picked up Sam Adams IPA hopology sampler yesterday (yes, I'm a hop head).....
    Anybody tried these ??? Got feedback?

I've had the Latitude 48 before, liked it .... and read good things about the whitewater IPA .... but don't know much about the others ....
    Dark Depths Baltic IPA, Third Voyage Double IPA, Grumpy Mon Belgian IPA, Tasman Red Red IPA

Paid $26 for the case-of-24 .... figured I got a good deal, and at just over $1/beer, even if some are a "miss" I won't be too upset....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    KBS is a great beer. I personally like Bourbon County over KBS but it's still solid. I've just grown tired of all the hype and BS surrounding the beer scene lately. It's gotten so ridiculous that my joke is that stores are going to have to start hosting jousting tournaments to see who gets to buy the one bottle that came into the store because there was one case to be split amongst 12 lucky stores in the state. Just stupid. I've given up on it. I have a few connections and people will hold stuff for me and call me when something like that comes in but otherwise, just not worth the hassle.

And nothing against anyone else's opinion but I refuse to buy Sam products anymore. Every time I've tried a new one, it's just been a huge disappointment. They tend to take radical styles or ideas and make them as mild and mainstream as possible. I get it, it's a great marketing ploy to get the everyday drinker into "craft beer" but I can't even call them "craft" anymore. Screw the definitions, any Goose Island is just better beer than anything I've had from Sam, regardless of style.

Wow, I sound like a cranky old man, don't I?
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    And nothing against anyone else's opinion but I refuse to buy Sam products anymore. Every time I've tried a new one, it's just been a huge disappointment. They tend to take radical styles or ideas and make them as mild and mainstream as possible. I get it, it's a great marketing ploy to get the everyday drinker into "craft beer" but I can't even call them "craft" anymore. Screw the definitions, any Goose Island is just better beer than anything I've had from Sam, regardless of style.
    LOL, none taken --- to each their own.

Took a chance on this one because I love some IPAs, but I'd agree that Sam can be hit or miss, IMO.
    Love their Imperial White, prob my fav offering from them. I thought the recently released New Albion Ale was decent, at least worth a try IMO. And Boston Lager's good with seafood (calm chowder!!), I always drink at least a couple when we're out east ....
    But the rest of their beers, I could take 'em or leave 'em .... other than the Imperial White, they've never left me yearning for more.....

I've had lots of "misses" from them too --- was gifted their "winter sampler" case 2 christmases ago and boy was that a let down:
    boston lager (why that was in a winter sampler IDK)
    holiday porter (didn't do much for me; wife ended up using it to make caramel syrup)
    old fezziwig (undrinkable; used it as a sauce/glaze for grilled meat)
    chocolate bock (not too great either; ended up making cake and brownies with these) winter lager (this one was actually ok, and drinkable --- but no "wow" factor)
    black and brew (gross .... I like other "coffee stouts" but this one was just gritty)

Hoping this IPA sampler goes better since I'm pretty easy going on IPAs, definitely like some more than others --- but really haven't found an IPA that I truly didn't like.

• Options
    jgibv:
    holiday porter (didn't do much for me; wife ended up using it to make caramel syrup)
    old fezziwig (undrinkable; used it as a sauce/glaze for grilled meat)
    chocolate bock (not too great either; ended up making cake and brownies with these)
    And THAT, my friends, is called RESOURCEFUL! I do the same when people leave beer at my house that I'm never going to drink. Just made an amazing liqueur by cooking down some NewCastle Brown with Maple and Spices - blended it with Cognac and Rye and the finished product is actually pretty amazing.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    I get it, it's a great marketing ploy to get the everyday drinker into "craft beer" but I can't even call them "craft" anymore. Screw the definitions, any Goose Island is just better beer than anything I've had from Sam, regardless of style.

Ironically, Goose Island is owned by AB InBev, the world's largest brewing company. I've noticed there's a lot of hate on them on craft beer forums suchs as BA. Me personally, I love BCBS and their Belgian style series (Matilda, Sofie,...) As far as I'm conerned, if it's a great beer, I really don't care who owns the name. As long as AB InBev doesn't step in and change the brewing process.

I haven't had any Sam IPAs, except the Latitude 48, which I was drinking from the bottle and don't remember much about it. I really enjoyed their White Christmas winter release this year, and the limited release pumpkin ale they made, Fat Jack, was pretty good IMO.
  • Options
    I know about the InBev thing, that's why I mentioned them and definitions of what's "Craft." My cousin works for AB, so I had the scoop before the buyout took place. I know a lot of people, including myself were concerned when the buyout was going down but I think it's actually benefited the beer. AB didn't change how GI does things or forced them to produce more. They pumped money into GI and told them "do what you do because you're already doing it right." They took the every day brews (honkers, 312, etc) off premise and are producing them elsewhere. This has given GI brewers the resources to focus on specialty brews (BCBS, variants, barrel aged big beers, they brought back Night Stalker and Big John which were previously retired because they didn't have the time or space, Matilda, Sofie, Pepe, Madame Rose, Juliet, Lolita).

If you're an IPA guy, you owe it to yourself to try Unearthly by Southern Tier. Great everyday IPA, not too expensive, well rounded and pretty widely distributed. Too much beer, not enough time or money. My basement is getting out of hand. The beer is starting to take over.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    If you're an IPA guy, you owe it to yourself to try Unearthly by Southern Tier. Great everyday IPA, not too expensive, well rounded and pretty widely distributed.
    Will keep an eye out for it --- haven't had it but really liked their hopsun & regular IPA.
    Rob1110:
    Too much beer, not enough time or money.
    Ain't that the truth, brother !!!!

• Options

I have recently been trying new breweries from around me and damn am I getting impressed. Pipeworks from Chicago is hitting home with some big DIPAs and IPAs. They are awesome if anyone from around this area gets to try them. They are in talks of expanding but right now I hope they wont so I can keep them to myself =p.

Time to crack open a Cuvee des Jacobins or maybe a New Glarus Enigma.....hmm cant decide.
  • Options
    Been working my way through the sam adams hopology sampler...
    Had all of them except the Tasman Red IPA so far ..... I'd say the Dark Depths Baltic IPA has been my fav, they've all been good, none were undrinkable (like the ones I had in the sam adams mixed winter case) but that's the only one that really stood out IMO

Also had to stop at the grocery today on lunch break, and after seeing y'all talk about Founders I just had to scout around and see if they carried any .... well sure enough there were 4 or 5 different beers on the shelf, but no KBS.
    However, there was (1) 4-pack left of the breakfast stout....and I just couldn't pass it up. Look forward to trying it, the description made my mouth water.

• Options
    jgibv:
    Had all of them except the Tasman Red IPA so far ..... I'd say the Dark Depths Baltic IPA has been my fav, they've all been good, none were undrinkable (like the ones I had in the sam adams mixed winter case) but that's the only one that really stood out IMO

Also had to stop at the grocery today on lunch break, and after seeing y'all talk about Founders I just had to scout around and see if they carried any .... well sure enough there were 4 or 5 different beers on the shelf, but no KBS.
    However, there was (1) 4-pack left of the breakfast stout....and I just couldn't pass it up. Look forward to trying it, the description made my mouth water.
    Breakfast Stout is wonderful. Look for KBS in April.
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    Thanks for the info.

Hoping the breakfast stout lives up to the hype and becomes a favorite. I've only had 1 breakfast/coffee stout that I really enjoyed and it's not distributed in OH ... so I've been trying to find a good one, that I can buy locally, for a while.
    Might crack one Saturday AM since I'll be up early working a brisket in the smoker.

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Breakfast Stout is in my top 3.

I'm a stout drinker. I learned how to drink beer in London where Guiness still rules.

Founder's Breakfast Stout and Williamsburg Aleworks Bourbon Barrel Porter and Probably tied 1a and 1b for me.I've had the KBS but I didn't realize what I had at the time. I remember it being good but not knocking the original Breakfast Stout off it's pedestal.
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    jgibv:

Yeah, Breakfast Stout is still on the shelves around here locally as well. It is definitely worth a try. The KBS should be delivered to stores on April 1st and even though they tripled production this year (or so they say), I imagine it will be gone rather quickly without much restocking occurring. I know what I'm doing that morning!
  • Options
    Stone imperial Russian stouts are great and old Rasputin by north coast
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Dogfish 60 minute IPA. I'm in hop-heaven - rocked off my ass after 6 beers, but in hop-heaven
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    xmacro:
    Dogfish 60 minute IPA. I'm in hop-heaven - rocked off my ass after 6 beers, but in hop-heaven
    60 minute is great but have you had the 90 min?
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Just had a bourbon barrel aged Imperial stout from a local brewer named Marble. They used to age this beer in Woodford Reserve barrels and it was the most amazing beer with heavy oak and vinalla notes and lots of sweet whiskey up front to complement the base beer. This year they didnt say what barrels were used and the beer sucks. Acrid bitter, faint whisky, no oak, vanilla or sweetness. Totally bummed. I think its time for me to get into enjoying actual whiskey instead of these barrel aged beers that are losing quality as popularity continues to increase. Especially considering price as these beers are very expensive.
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    xmacro:
    I'll add ---- have you tried the 120 min IPA??? Very hard to find but if you like the 60 & 90, you'll love the 120.
    It'll knock you on your a$$ though .... 15-20 ABV and 120 IBU

Had it at a beer fest a couple years back, other than that, I've only seen it locally a total of 2 times.
    Xmacro & d-dub, I highly recommend trying some,,, if you can find it.

And on the subject of dogfish, grocery store just stocked the shelves with ApriHop yesterday, missed it last year so I grabbed a 4-pack. Never had it but have heard good things .... anybody had it?

• Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    ddubridge:
    xmacro:
    I'll add ---- have you tried the 120 min IPA??? Very hard to find but if you like the 60 & 90, you'll love the 120.
    It'll knock you on your a$$ though .... 15-20 ABV and 120 IBU

Had it at a beer fest a couple years back, other than that, I've only seen it locally a total of 2 times.
    Xmacro & d-dub, I highly recommend trying some,,, if you can find it.

And on the subject of dogfish, grocery store just stocked the shelves with ApriHop yesterday, missed it last year so I grabbed a 4-pack. Never had it but have heard good things .... anybody had it?
    After I post, I went on google and saw that. I havent ever seen it around here, but i'll have to start asking around. I'll be picking it up if I see it.
  • Options
    gaberox:
    Just had a bourbon barrel aged Imperial stout from a local brewer named Marble. They used to age this beer in Woodford Reserve barrels and it was the most amazing beer with heavy oak and vinalla notes and lots of sweet whiskey up front to complement the base beer. This year they didnt say what barrels were used and the beer sucks. Acrid bitter, faint whisky, no oak, vanilla or sweetness. Totally bummed. I think its time for me to get into enjoying actual whiskey instead of these barrel aged beers that are losing quality as popularity continues to increase. Especially considering price as these beers are very expensive.
    That sucks to hear. I have a bottle of the 2011 that I need to crack open soon. I picked it up in a trade with someone on BA and I've been looking forward to it. I doubt the barrel really made that big a difference - if the base beer sucked, no barrel will save it. Could just be a bad batch or an oxidized bottle. When you're brewing on the scale that these guys are, consistence can be pretty difficult to achieve. You gotta remember, they're dealing with biological systems (yeast) and being a biologist, I can attest to how difficult and unpredictable that can be.

Not saying I like Budweiser but you have to give them props for what they do. Their beer tastes EXACTLY the same no matter where you go in the world. They have so much control over EVERY SINGLE step of the process. Again, the final product is still bland and tasteless but it's consistent.
  • Options
    Just cracked open a Ballast Point Dorado after a nice long day of brewing. Made an Abbey Dubbel based on Ommegangs. Also had the newest La Folie and damn was it nice. Love that beer. All this talk about Stouts and BA Stouts is going to probably force me to dig in my cellar for something tomorrow.