Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Beer

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Freaking awesome, Michael, enjoy!
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an ale kind of night I guess
  • Options
    I'm beginning to see the "problem" my wife speaks of
  • Options
    This is tasty, from Deschutes paired with a Foundation El Gueguense Corona Gorda

• Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don' see any spilt beer and that is the only "problem" I would see...... :)
  • Options
    bandyt09 said:
    My problem is I can't keep it in the house for more than a few days. It's like a revolving door
  • Options
    bandyt09 said:
    My problem is I can't keep it in the house for more than a few days. It's like a revolving door
    No a problem. Like cigars, just buy more than you consume :) I'm sure the wife won't see a "problem" with you trying to be environmentally sound with your recycling efforts. Not too many people recycle so you'e just doing your civic duty by keeping the recyclable bottles out of their irresponsible hands.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    I have a growler collection. I gave up on bombers about a year ago. 
    I've been keeping the growlers to refill. Are they like a propane tank? Turn your empty in, take a new filled one and only pay for the new contents? Or do I have to wash mine because it's the one being filled?

I'm not looking to keep the smaller stuff. But I figure those bomber bottles can't be cheap to produce. Surely there's some kind of recycle value
    I wash and reuse, unless they have a new one I don't have yet.

As for recycling, it takes so much glass to make anything worthwhile, that I've never had the room to bother.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I picked up 4 packs of Barrel Aged Victory At sea, Bells Whiskey barrel cherry stout and the Summit Union Imperial Russian Stout
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bandyt09 said:
    I had that problem too.  Then I started buying 2 of each bomber I wanted, and stopped buying anything under 10%.  Drink one of each, or sometimes just one; switch to scotch and instead of tossing the two remaining in the fridge for consumption, go back to store and buy at least 4 more.  Nothing under 10% makes it easier to build stock, it also provides the desired affect faster and believe it or not cheaper.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Got home late and jumped straight on the vherf without posting up yesterday's haul
    12 oz bottles
    Bombers (I couldn't wait on the bunny)
    12 oz cans (I tore into the brunette on the vherf and it's mighty tasty)
  • Options
    That canned stout goes down way too easy. And the peace tree barrel red is damn fine with steaks and friends
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Some dark stuff from the frigid north
  • Options
    Not sure if this is the right thread but...

A close friend, beekeeper and off the forum BOTL has been making mead for quite some time and has gifted me a bottle of his finest.

I wish to consume it in a manner that leads to a positive experience but I don't know what I'm doing. Is it as simple as pour it in any receptacle and chug away? 
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if this is the right thread but...

A close friend, beekeeper and off the forum BOTL has been making mead for quite some time and has gifted me a bottle of his finest.

I wish to consume it in a manner that leads to a positive experience but I don't know what I'm doing. Is it as simple as pour it in any receptacle and chug away? 
    While singing songs to Valhala if at all possible.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Captain_Call; are you familiar with mead? 
    have you ever drank mead before? 

mead is a honeywine so it'll drink more like a wine as opposed to a beer.
    i normally drink it in a rocks glass, tulip glass, or stemless wine glass.

i prefer most meads at room temperature, but have found some types can be better chilled (either in the fridge or simply with an ice cube or whiskey stone).

it's likely a higher ABV (probably mid-teens) so you'll probably want to sip it. 

and if you don't drink it all at once, it will stay good at room temperature for a couple months after opening it.  just use a wine stopper to re-seal the bottle. 

also, enjoy that.  you need about 3 lbs of honey for 1 gallon of mead.  that's why it's so $$$$

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Thanks @jgibv. This is my first mead. My knowledge of it ends at honey wine. The container and temperature were what I was curious about. I suppose I was pretty vague.

The maker says it's tweaked with wild plums and he has never proofed it out but it is weak as mead is concerned. He chills his so I will likely do the same

Leftovers won't be an issue. Pa didn't raise a quitter
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Captain_Call
    haha ok, you're on the right track then. 

most of the mead's i've had are very SWEET!!!
    so a small pour is about all i can handle before switching to something else.  there's no real wrong way to drink it IMO. 

enjoy. let us know what you think of it!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Friday evening off to a good start

• Options
    How was the Saison?
  • Options
    Wtf is this? Sniffing it gave me heartburn
  • Options
    jw517jw517 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭
    Leinenkugels 
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    How was the Saison?
    Chris, it was quite good. Not a big Saison fan but there was just enough sour in it to make it refreshing. Take a flyer on it if you can find it.
  • Options
    A great barrel stout from @avengethis
    A nice winter ale from my local spot
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Nick sent me some awesome beer and Michael sent a t-shirt from a local brewery in Albequerque. Check this **** out! Thanks @Usaf06 and @Guitarded
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,988 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy Chuck
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Get Plowed" had your name all over it. Hope it fits. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.