Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What's for dinner?

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Made two boxes of jambalaya with ten Italian hot sausages and five Italian sweet sausages. We ate half. Forgot to put the rest in the fridge. Was still sitting on the stove this morning. What a waste.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

Meh, just bring it to a good boil.

• Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭✭✭

Corn and Chicken fried rice on a bed of fresh spinach. Lemon zest and juice, onions, garlic, ginger, chicken thighs, fresh corn, eggs, and Golden Mt. sauce. Fuel for this cold weather.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,348 ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds wonderful, Rodger. What is Golden Mt. sauce?

• Options

Edward Golden Mountain sauce is a Thai soy sauce. Pretty much a staple in Thai cooking and GF. I got it at a little asian grocery in Asheville NC.

• Options

Leftoverburrito and a salad.

• Options

Out of the blue my son decides he wants me to make beef stew. I've never made it. I kind of know what goes in it so I'm giving it a try. I already have four cans of diced and sliced potatoes. Picked up some carrots (don't know why. We won't eat them.) Onions, garlic cloves, celery and rice. Have a decent sized pot roast to use. I guess I can't really **** up a boiled dinner so it'll all just go in a crock of water and boil low for six hours. Any suggestions are welcome.

• Options

Do I cut up the roast before it goes in the pot or cook it whole?

• Options

Thanks for the tips, Rodger. I have to hit the supermarket today for coffee so I'll pick up some beef stock while I'm there.

• Options
    HawksHawks Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭

After the cooking is done you can remove all solids, make a slurry of cornstarch and water, add to the sauce and reduce for ten to fifteen minutes to thicken into a gravy.

Nolite Oblivisci Peniculus Dentes

• Options

Came out horrible. Never again. The rice didn't cook and the meat was blah. The potatoes were perfect. What a waste. My kid won't touch the leftovers. He had 3 bites and walked away. Oh, well. Now I know I can't make a boiled dinner. I'll stick to chili.

• Options

I saved the meat, potatoes and some of the broth. I'll be trying to finish it for days.

• Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn Shawn, Rodger gave you a bullet proof recipe for the meat and add ins, what didn't you like? Rice can be a mf, I usually cook it on its own and add in last. Brother I have never in my life cooked. When working if I didn't have a cook in tow it was microwave or fast food lines but since retiring I have enjoyed cooking a bit more. You saw my lamb chops up above here, lol. It all come down to experimenting to see what you like.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never done rice with a pot roast like that, the potatoes are the starch in that meal.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

It's sushi night here.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lol, couldn't fix it if I tried. Our green chili's were hot af this year, we get a 40lb bag when the roasters come around in August but you never know what you're going to end up with heat wise. That's why I added the potatoes, carrots, celery and a couple pablano peppers to finish it.

A little dirt never hurt
  • Options

Ok FYI the one and only cook book you will ever need is " The Joy of Cooking " first printed in 1931 has been reprinted almost 20 times. Saved my azz a number of times. Found my current copy at a thrift store.