Home Ratings & Reviews

Unicorn Diaries

Comments

• raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Unicorn:
    Roman reminded me of something important... this is supposed to be a review blog and I didn't even review the bar! So, Saturday night we arrived at Stanza Dei Signari in Boston's North End (Italian district) at around 10:30 pm, and there was a wait time of about 5 minutes. We hobbled down some narrow stairs into the bar which was everything you'd expect in an old school cigar bar. Dark, leathery, and loud, with college football playing on big flatscreen TVs.

There were probably 7 small tables, a few couches, and a short bar that would fit about 5 people across. As far as I could tell, there was one female bartender (like a 5/10 on hotness scale) and one waitress (6/10) and they were very very busy. Took a good twenty minutes to get a rusty nail. Everyone kind of kept to themselves. This was not a mixing and mingling kind of bar, more of a hunker down in your seats and get quietly drunk kind of bar. We made friends with the neighboring table pretty quickly, but other than that no one said a peep to us. The drinks were killer- my rusty nails were perfectly blended and my friends drank these coffee martinis that were amazing.

Comparing this to the other two cigar bars that I've been to: the Occidental and the Cigar Bar and Grillle in San Fran, this one was nice but more of a casual hang out place than a get dressed up and be fancy place. I like to look fancy when I've got a stick in my hand :)
    I think the location has a lot to do with the muted atmosphere. The North End isn't really a boisterous, "party" scene. Its bars are really aimed at regulars. If you're an "outsider" you go there to eat great Italian food, get some pasty, maybe see a festival and then leave. If the place had been located in the financial district or in a trendy area of Back Bay it would have been a much younger, livelier crowd of brokers and investment bankers. But do you really want to be in a place full of brokers an investment bankers?
  • UnicornUnicorn Posts: 451 ✭✭
    Not at all. I loved it for what it was. Next time I'll go and wear jeans with my heels. And get some cannolis after!
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Unicorn:
    Not at all. I loved it for what it was. Next time I'll go and wear jeans with my heels. And get some cannolis after!
    we want yoga pants lol...but really we do want yoga pants
    Money can't buy taste
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Unicorn:
    Yoga pants? What so good about yoga pants? ;)
  • TridentTrident Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭✭
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Unicorn:
    you should have been on vherf with us...
    Trident:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Unicorn:
    you should have been on vherf with us...
    hitting myself in forehead!! Damn it!! I suck with technology....yeah yeah yeah I know I'm Asian
    Money can't buy taste
    Unicorn:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Unicorn:
    Yoga pants? What so good about yoga pants? ;)
    with your smile yoga pants and heels...it would make my year
    Money can't buy taste
    Yoga pants and heels and a smile? That's not hard to take care of.

High heels and yoga pants
    I am remiss... I smoked a great cigar this Wednesday on vherf (with Trident, wearing yoga pants, y'all missed it) and forgot to review it.

photo D184D1C6-A937-4230-B3D1-7085851C3E12.jpg
    It was really really good. The thing I liked best about it was the ease of burn and the smoke output. The thing I liked least about it was the smoke output... Because it was raining and I smoked it downstairs sitting in the doorway of my basement. Despite the open door and the smoke candle I had going, all my clothes hanging up to dry down there smelled like cigars. Which to me is fine but to my husband, not so yummy.

I may have to retire the cigar smoking til Spring except for when I go on what my friends call my "spring breaks," which are actually work trips to Cali. Next one is Nov 12th.
  • Hello, Hello! Maybe I should be your guest reviewer until Nov. 12th...
    Oh Absofreakinglutely! Why don't you give your opinion of the Avo Lounge you smoked last night? Gentlemen... Let me introduce my best friend Michelle

photo 544BCF16-AD41-4251-BA04-C706B1DBA5CF.jpg
    Oh... And she's single :)
  • ckrddsmkeckrddsmke Posts: 392
    Welcome to the forum Michelle.
  • Why thank you, J! Last night was the first time I smoked alone, well, not totally alone but this ladies' man may not want to be named. Regardless, I had a bit o trouble getting starting with the wind on my porch but once I did I sat back with my drink (a wimpy but delicious Stella Artois Cidre) and enjoyed. Jamie had raved about the Avo Lounge and it did not disappoint. Sadly, I'm still kind of figuring out how to pinpoint flavor and everything else that comes with it. I'd post a pic of it but I don't know how yet! Thanks for the welcome J! Muah.
    hoopsgirl:
    Why thank you, J! Last night was the first time I smoked alone, well, not totally alone but this ladies' man may not want to be named. Regardless, I had a bit o trouble getting starting with the wind on my porch but once I did I sat back with my drink (a wimpy but delicious Stella Artois Cidre) and enjoyed. Jamie had raved about the Avo Lounge and it did not disappoint. Sadly, I'm still kind of figuring out how to pinpoint flavor and everything else that comes with it. I'd post a pic of it but I don't know how yet! Thanks for the welcome J! Muah.
    welcome to the forums! Don't worry to much about pin pointing flavors...if you like it then you like it if you don't then chuck it. For a new comer it seems very terrifying trying to figure out what you like but it's pretty easy especially with good advice
    Money can't buy taste
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    Unicorn:
    Oh Absofreakinglutely! Why don't you give your opinion of the Avo Lounge you smoked last night? Gentlemen... Let me introduce my best friend Michelle

photo 544BCF16-AD41-4251-BA04-C706B1DBA5CF.jpg
    God help us all, now. :)
  • You have no idea.. and nice to "meet" you Noah.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Se Habla Espanol?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    danielzreyes:
    Se Habla Espanol?
    No, pero ella tiene otras cualidades especiales.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unicorn:
    Oh... And she's single :)
    Welcome, Michelle.
    This is fun. I like having another person to post on here with me. Michelle, when's your next smoke and what one are you going to try?
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh si? Como que? Le gustan las calcetas?
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • My next one will likely be tomorrow night. I will certainly need it to help me decompress from the last 8 days of a stomach bug permeating my household... that's if I happen to avoid it... fingers crossed! I am unsure what I will try next from my stash, thanks to our friend Roman :) Yeah, he gets around.
    danielzreyes:
    Like she's a badass. And she's adventurous. And she's smart and beautiful... she has a thing for awesome socks too. :)
  • I pay you well, my friend.
    Oh I love that avatar. I need to change mine. I look macabre.
    Party time on Nov 4th. Got this little duo of scotch (supernova) and a bourbon, whose name is escaping me right now. Little herf planned with my boy Trident to celebrate passing his boards.

photo F592359B-9149-453D-9EAB-E3F3989103B7.jpg

Also I am now legit... As I have an ashtray.

photo 8F29533F-DD7C-4D86-B30D-643A70DD3AB8.jpg

thank you Roman!!
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Unicorn:
    Party time on Nov 4th. Got this little duo of scotch (supernova) and a bourbon, whose name is escaping me right now. Little herf planned with my boy Trident to celebrate passing his boards.
    Coming to MI?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Going to be a virtual celebration via Vherf :)
    Unicorn:
    danielzreyes:
    Like she's a badass. And she's adventurous. And she's smart and beautiful... she has a thing for awesome socks too. :)
    whats her bum like?
    Money can't buy taste