genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭

jgibv said:
    does anyone here like wall sits? 

if so, we can no longer be friends. 
    i HATE wall sits.

Those and walking lunges are great.
  • Options
    SmoothsticksSmoothsticks Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Day 2 back in the gym and I am feeling it... did a routine a buddy of mine does every day BEFORE his workout. I think I will stick to his pre-workout workout for now. Dude is insane.
  • Options
    NjbowNjbow Posts: 62 ✭✭✭
    @webmost and @TNBigfoot68 thank you for the kind words the problem is going to be to keep the weight off 
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Njbow I know, I lost 40 lbs last year, and now I am back to squar 1
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Njbow said:
    @webmost and @TNBigfoot68 thank you for the kind words the problem is going to be to keep the weight off 
    Hey, you know what? You lost ten pounds a month for a year. I think you prolly have a good handle on the right habits by now.

Me, I'm riding the pine for a while. Sprained the MCL inside my left knee about two months ago. Things've gotten to where it wakes me up at 3 a.m. Doc took a pic & says nothing structural. Tells me set it out six weeks. Says handball prolly did the damage & yoga makes me feel it. I will prolly stay away from both for a week; but after that, I am a big backslider soon as I think things feel better, so prolly re-aggravate the thing. Gonna go score a medrox pack today. That stuff's the magic sauce. Doc says a hinged brace may or may not help... didn't sound real enthused about braces. 

Tell you, I have a reckless thirst for sport. Nunna that pansy golf shyte, either. If you can't break a collar bone, it ain't real sport. If I could still gather a dozen guys my age to play tackle football in the park, you could take your superbowl, slutty half time and all, cause I'd rather duck out and play tackle in the park. Hell, if I was a billionaire, I'd field a polo team. Had teeth to burn, might take up boxing like Teddy Roosevelt. If I was a rubber burner, I'd buy me a race car. If I lived in asscrackistan, I'd be an old chapandaz, complaining how much better buzkashi used to be back in the day, before the Shah banned daggers from the game. But, being American, I'd gladly settle for a game of tackle in a muddy field one more time before I die.

Orthopede on speed dial.

Visited Pago Pago on my voyages long ago (Why'd they leave both Ns out of pango-pango anyways?). That's the place for me. Daily sport of every type at all ages for everyone. Sa'amoa. 

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    edited February 2017
      8 miles at 11° this morning. Come on spring 

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting the couch to 5K program today.  I've been walking like crazy, but the weight loss has slowed.  I ran a 5K many years ago and the smartass at the finish line with the microphone said, "Here comes the Chief, he was gone so long, the mayor replaced him." 

I wanted to say something smart to him but I was trying hard not to throw up!  I've got my eyes on a 5K in June to run with my son.

I tell everyone that I am a very deceptive runner, I'm a lot slower than I look.  They usually time my races with a calendar!  Never the less, I'm going to give it another try.

• Options
    YankeeMan said:
    I'm starting the couch to 5K program today.  I've been walking like crazy, but the weight loss has slowed.  I ran a 5K many years ago and the smartass at the finish line with the microphone said, "Here comes the Chief, he was gone so long, the mayor replaced him." 

I wanted to say something smart to him but I was trying hard not to throw up!  I've got my eyes on a 5K in June to run with my son.

I tell everyone that I am a very deceptive runner, I'm a lot slower than I look.  They usually time my races with a calendar!  Never the less, I'm going to give it another try.

@YankeeMan it's not how fast you finish, it's all about finishing!!! You got this.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:

i HATE wall sits.

wall sit.
    squat.
    lunges.

in that order.  great workout but really let me know how "out of shape" i am. lol

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been slacking for the last month but today started to get back on it.  Fortunately didn't put any weight back on but can tell that it was not far off.  I have still been eating decent which I think is the main thing but lack of cardio and weights showed this morning.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    jgibv said:
    jgibv said:

i HATE wall sits.

wall sit.
    squat.
    lunges.

in that order.  great workout but really let me know how "out of shape" i am. lol

Keep doing them and in a couple of weeks you wont feel it.
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lifted today, thankfully the last minute conference call my boss asked me to join (on my day off, mind you) was right at the end of my workout. 

The deadlift machine sucks and kicks my ass resoundingly. Imma have to keep pushing fwd on that one. PITA 

“There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    Better today. Wanted to skip the deadlift machine, instead went a little lighter on the weight and got through it. 

To you folks who are pushing fwd, trying to better yourself by hitting the gym or trail or walking path, keep it up! 

"Sometimes carrying on, just carrying on, is the superhuman achievement" -Albert Camus
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My chest and arms are killing me today. Skullcrushers are the devil. I was introduced to wall sits today and they can suck a fat one.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:

i HATE wall sits.

They suck but I don't mind them
  • Options
    Odinson said:
    I am finding it tough to stay on the healthy eating with all the holiday parties and crap right now.  I'm maintaining my weight but not losing as much.  Seeing good increases in weight's that I can lift though.
    I'm new here so this is belated, but I'm guessing a large part of the reason you were not seeing weight loss is because you're lifting more. Don't forget muscle weighs more than fat, so if you were just dieting w/o lifting you'd have seen the loss on the scale.
    Just want to clarify on a common misconception of muscle weighing more than fat. A pound of muscle equals a pound of fat. I hate really happening is muscle is more compact and therefore takes up less space in your body. So what can be happening is you lose two pounds of fat but three pounds of muscle is put on its place. More muscle is a good thing as it burns more calories than fat. 
  • Options
    Started working towards this workout. I'll be putting up a pull-up bar off my deck and getting a barbell soon so my goal is to be able to complete this by summer time. 
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    jgibv said:

i HATE wall sits.

wall sit.
    squat.
    lunges.

Keep doing them and in a couple of weeks you wont feel it.
    yep, every day they get a little easier. 
    wish i would have started doing them sooner.

i'm going on a multi-day ski trip in a couple weeks, and realized i needed to do something or else my legs would be complete jelly after the first day.  

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, ever since the day after the herf, I've been sick as a dog.  Started out of typical cold, and ran a longer than normal cold course.  Then, just before new years I thought I was feeling pretty good so I actually smoked a ceegar!!  And from there it went downhill fast.  The very next day, I was sick again, and then got the stomach flu.  Holy Hell!  LOL..Got a massive sinus infection, 2 rounds of antibiotics.  Unfortunately, this did a number to my ears, and now I have Vertigo.  Had this before, takes about 3 months to get over it, doing vestibular rehab.  Good times.  So needless to say, working out, or smoking, has not been on my radar for a while.  But, I decided today that I just gotta power through it, so, we will start with working out.  Maybe one day, I'll be able to smoke a ceegar too.  I'm gonna fire a up a unicorn on the day I know I've eliminated the vertigo.  I wouldnt wish this on anybody.  Strangely enough, alcohol actually seems to nullify it  :o
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • Options
    skydiverD said:
    So, ever since the day after the herf, I've been sick as a dog.  Started out of typical cold, and ran a longer than normal cold course.  Then, just before new years I thought I was feeling pretty good so I actually smoked a ceegar!!  And from there it went downhill fast.  The very next day, I was sick again, and then got the stomach flu.  Holy Hell!  LOL..Got a massive sinus infection, 2 rounds of antibiotics.  Unfortunately, this did a number to my ears, and now I have Vertigo.  Had this before, takes about 3 months to get over it, doing vestibular rehab.  Good times.  So needless to say, working out, or smoking, has not been on my radar for a while.  But, I decided today that I just gotta power through it, so, we will start with working out.  Maybe one day, I'll be able to smoke a ceegar too.  I'm gonna fire a up a unicorn on the day I know I've eliminated the vertigo.  I wouldnt wish this on anybody.  Strangely enough, alcohol actually seems to nullify it  :o
    Darren, that stinks...I hope you are getting to enjoy an adult beverage as I write this
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife has been battling vertigo, not fun, I feel for you Darren. 
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    skydiverD said:
    Hope and pray you feel better
  • Options
    Nice 8 mile run this morning.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to delay my couch to 5K program until cleared by my Doctor.  I thought I might have had a hernia.  I had her check it after I made her promise not to point and laugh and she said I was OK to run and lift. 

So tomorrow starts the first day of the rest of my life.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yard work today, lots of tree limbs came down in the last blizzard. Got a Fitbit activity tracker for Valentine's Day, already have 2000 steps. Fun and honest, I always think I am more active than I actually am it turns out....
  • Options
    Workout today kicked my ass. Time for some coffee...

Ive not been following my diet since about Turkey day. Need to get back at it.
  • Options
    jarubla said:
    Workout today kicked my ass. Time for some coffee...

Ive not been following my diet since about Turkey day. Need to get back at it.
    Same here, sorta starting over. I did walk 2.25 miles today. So far I have not cheated on my diet today!!!!
  • Options
    The diet is ok once it gets going, it's just the constant damn cravings for a donut that first week, lol. So far so good @TNBigfoot68!