Home Non Cigar Related

CCom Fitness Thread

Comments

• genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread. I go to the gym 5 days a week do trx once a week and run 25 miles a week. Just started training for state number 21 so will ramp up my miles to about 30-35 a week. The hardest thing for me is my diet. I eat anything and know I shouldn't. And drink to much beer.
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but substitute ice cream for cigars!
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You smoke ice cream and eat cookies for breakfast?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    You smoke ice cream and eat cookies for breakfast?
    Must be auto correct! I typed cookies, or some variation of that!
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cbuck said:
    Yes, but substitute ice cream for cigars!
    uh huh, you even shower with it I hear.
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take a 3 mile walk 3 times a week.Got a great place to walk and I saw a hen turkey and four jakes this morning. Used to fit that into a work out with  free weights, a bench and a pull down pullout machine. But I been slacking off.I've got a full set of dumbbells and the pull down machine up stairs in my studio. I suppose I will have to lift to start earning my cigars. 
  • Jay6Jay6 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on getting healthy!!! 5 days a week doing crossfit for me, and that is pretty much so I can eat and drink anything I want on my days off!

• bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do one of those workout videos or just bust out push-ups and pull-ups at home when I get chance. I also have some Dumbbells I'll use. Just started back up running today and got in 3.1 miles.  I used to have my pull-up bar in the basement doorway and everytime I went downstairs I would do 10-20 pull-ups. It's tough with a little one to help take care of so I just do what I can when I get a chance.
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently upped my workload from 12 oz curls to 16 oz curls. Funny thing is, after each rep, the weight feels a little lighter. This shlt is working!  :D
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bombers FTW!
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well got in 2 miles of running and jogging this morning, was a bit rough after being so lazy the past two weeks but felt good to get back out there and working out before heading into work this morning. Good for the head and good for the body too!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Way to go Mike, takes determination to start dropping weight and changing your daily schedule and plans keep at it and keep it up!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • bert873bert873 Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome job Mike! Keep up the good work. 
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Seriously, I don't know how you guys stay motivated to do it.

I could lift weights if I were, let's say, laying brick, or loading trucks. That accomplishes something. But just to pick up dumbbells and put them back down? Hey, there's a reason they call them dumbbells. Gimme a couple portage packs and a canoe, I'll tote that schidt all day. Where's the motivation in a gym?

I could jog and even sprint back when I was a football official. I'd often do five games in a weekend. That's a lot of miles. But just to pound the pavement? No way. I read long ago about a waiter in San Fran having his hundredth birthday. This guy jogged 3 miles to work and back ... up and down those SF hills, no less ... then hustled plates round the restaurant all day on his feet. I could do that. That makes fitness a part of your life. I'd bike to the office here, if there were bike lanes, like in Davis in Kali.

I go to yoga Tuesday and Thursday mornings before work. Cause there's trophy wives in yoga pants to motivate me there. I play handball Tuesday and Thursday evenings, and again Sunday afternoons. Cause I get to kick my  buddy's ass there. But just to lift? Without a score? I dunno how you stay interested.

Give me a score, man, I'm in.

What really baffles me is, since the age of 30, I have been unable to find enough guys at the drop of a hat to gather in a park and play tackle football. The hell? What happens to people? Right after a rain, when the air is cool and the field is soft, before the Eagles come on the toob, we ought to all ride to the park and shove each other around and get muddy. Come back bruised and ready for a beer. Where'd that go? 

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

I am the polar opposite @webmost I love lifting weights, and pretty much do some form of this 5-6 days a week.  I despise anything cardio, and only do it because I know I have to.  Cannot stand running, or elipticals, or anything of the sort.  I actually now incorporate HIIT into my weight lifting to get a cardio benefit out of it, and thus reducing the amount of time I have to do the cardio which I hate so much.  Win-Win!

Not sure why I like lifting so much.  Guessing I am a little less evolved from
    Cro-Magnon man than others.  LOL  I love the burn sensation.  Feel great afterwards (assuming I don't throw out my back of course, which does happen from time to time) I take a pre workout drink too that makes me feel angry and aggressive like the Hulk, gotta say I am addicted to that stuff too.  ITs a super mega caffeine infusion first thing in the am.  Gets the ticker beating fast.  I get out of bed just so I can drink the stuff... LOL 

As far as your football lack of participation - my guess is that once you hit your 30's you realize he ability to go to work is critical, and kinda necessary LOL.  You don't heal as fast as you did in your 20's.  I severed my ACL playing football at the tender young age of 31.  Last game I ever played.  That sucked, BIG TIME. 
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @webmost, I think what keeps me motivated in my little pea sized brain is family and health. I know when it is my time I have no say in it, but it does make me feel better. We also use my running as an excuse to vacation. My goal is to run a half marathon in each state.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skydiverD said:

As far as your football lack of participation - my guess is that once you hit your 30's you realize he ability to go to work is critical, and kinda necessary LOL.  You don't heal as fast as you did in your 20's.  I severed my ACL playing football at the tender young age of 31.  Last game I ever played.  That sucked, BIG TIME. 

There's always an excus --- that's not the reason. Anything worth doing, there's danger involved. Look at your throwing your back out in your second paragraph. If you can't break a collarbone, then it isn't sport -- it's just golf.

@webmost, I think what keeps me motivated in my little pea sized brain is family and health. I know when it is my time I have no say in it, but it does make me feel better. We also use my running as an excuse to vacation. My goal is to run a half marathon in each state.

Guy I bought Biffy from, that was his goal: a marathon in every state. Lived out near DeKalb. Worked at Caterpillar. Writing was on the wall: plant shutting down, moving to China. Had to get out from under all debts before the layoff. This was 2007. But his hobby was to slap a tent and some tennis shoes on the rack of his KLR, ride out to Maine or some such, run his 26+, ride back. From where he lived, he could run a lot of marathons on long weekends.

Me, I woulda made a Snowshoe Thompson, packing mail across the Sierra Nevada. Or Pheideppedes. 80 to Sparta; 50 to Marathon; fight all day; 26 home; "Nike!", and falls dead. What a stud!

... a body in motion ...

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost said:

........If you can't break a collarbone, then it isn't sport -- it's just golf......

I always say, if it cant kill you, then it isn't a sport. 

or

Most sports have only one ball, skydiving requires both! 

or

If you have a parachute malfunction, don't panic, you have the rest of your life to fix it.

:D
    Completely agree with Larry here, that is how I stay motivated is wanting to stick around for my wife and son, and be attractive to my wife so I get more nookie too LOL :p

Brett
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way too much muscle... good for her for being healthy but yeah that is not attractive for the one straight above lol

Brett
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I think the bum thread and this thread just had a collision 
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not even sure what just happened here, or up there ^^ ;)

I'm with @webmost, played two sports in college, would be in the gym playing hoops all day every day if I could when I was younger. Once it wasn't competitive any more and the body stopped recovering as easily, I lost interest. Need to start getting back into shape though, hate looking and feeling like this. Just joined a gym that has everything and is really nice, but doesn't open until November. In the meantime I'm just trying to do what I can where I can. But I hate just working out to work out, need to be playing something!!! 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!