Comments

• Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your encouraging Story @YankeeMan
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    just catching up on this thread.....i want to say i'm impressed with everyone's stories and your all's commitment to getting into better shape. 

seriously, kudos to you guys. 

i wanna toss in my $0.02 ..... and say that eating a healthy diet & getting good,  nutritious meals is one of the best things you can do for yourself. 

• eat more veggies & fruits.
    • cut out the processed foods & sugary foods!
    • and if you can cut back on dairy & meats too you'll feel a lot better! 

the wife decided to go vegan about a year ago, and since she does almost all of the cooking at our house i went vegan too. 
    i won't lie, it was TOUGH for the first couple weeks. i missed all of my delicious meats and cheeses...and snack foods (cookies, chips, etc).

but after the first couple weeks i noticed that i had more energy throughout the day, i didn't seem to get as tired/fatigued, had more stamina when riding my bike & walking the dog (my 2 main forms of exercise) and i was generally just in a better mood.   i also shed a few pounds as well.

it was tough. and i missed good cheese more than anything else.

but, looking back i can't believe i used to eat as much meat & cheese as i did.  i can honestly say i don't miss it that much. 

the key to success is just stick with it ...... find yourself a good cook book for healthy meals and ONLY eat good meals for a month.  once you get into a routine, you'll see that it's not too difficult to cut the "bad stuff" out of your diet and get more nutritious meals. 

EDIT:

If you're struggling on where to start for cookbooks....I HIGHLY recommend the cookbook called "Plantpower Way" by Rich Roll & Julie Piatt. 

Some real great recipes in there. (The "Tempeh Chili" & "Veggie Burgers" have become 2 of my go-to meals).

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    just catching up on this thread.....i want to say i'm impressed with everyone's stories and your all's commitment to getting into better shape. 

seriously, kudos to you guys. 

i wanna toss in my $0.02 ..... and say that eating a healthy diet & getting good,  nutritious meals is one of the best things you can do for yourself. 

• eat more veggies & fruits.
    • cut out the processed foods & sugary foods!
    • and if you can cut back on dairy & meats too you'll feel a lot better! 

the wife decided to go vegan about a year ago, and since she does almost all of the cooking at our house i went vegan too. 
    i won't lie, it was TOUGH for the first couple weeks. i missed all of my delicious meats and cheeses...and snack foods (cookies, chips, etc).

but after the first couple weeks i noticed that i had more energy throughout the day, i didn't seem to get as tired/fatigued, had more stamina when riding my bike & walking the dog (my 2 main forms of exercise) and i was generally just in a better mood.   i also shed a few pounds as well.

it was tough. and i missed good cheese more than anything else.

but, looking back i can't believe i used to eat as much meat & cheese as i did.  i can honestly say i don't miss it that much. 

the key to success is just stick with it ...... find yourself a good cook book for healthy meals and ONLY eat good meals for a month.  once you get into a routine, you'll see that it's not too difficult to cut the "bad stuff" out of your diet and get more nutritious meals. 

EDIT:

If you're struggling on where to start for cookbooks....I HIGHLY recommend the cookbook called "Plantpower Way" by Rich Roll & Julie Piatt. 

Some real great recipes in there. (The "Tempeh Chili" & "Veggie Burgers" have become 2 of my go-to meals).
    There is a restaurant in Ithaca, NY called the Moosewood Cafe.  They put out a number of good cookbooks on a national level.  When I lived there, I never did eat there, something about not serving meat!
  • Options
    NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭

Great job YankeeMan! Thanks for sharing your story!

I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • Options
    YankeeMan said:

There is a restaurant in Ithaca, NY called the Moosewood Cafe.  They put out a number of good cookbooks on a national level.  When I lived there, I never did eat there, something about not serving meat!
    Hah I get what you're saying. 

The wife is much stricter with her diet than I am .... I still enjoy some nice cheese at least once/week, and I'll do meat as a "main course" maybe once/every other week or so. 

Hard to give it up completely....but every now and then I just get a craving for some good BBQ!!!  And there ain't no such thing as vegan BBQ!!!!

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I have or had one of those Moosewood cookbooks.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    pross said:
    I for one am lucky enough to be at my ideal weight - if I was approximately 9' 2".

hahaha.  thanks for the laugh. 

congrats on the weight loss already....keep up the good work!

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has anyone been checking their weight against the BMI charts?  I'm 5'8" and after losing 70 pounds, I am out of the morbidly obese stage into the obese stage.  To get to normal, they want me at 140 pounds.  I have suits that weigh that much!
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    anyone into powerlifting in here?
  • Options
    TaraLeeTaraLee Posts: 179 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That is honestly inspiring, thank you for sharing!
  • Options
    webmost said:
    I follow the PMD diet. Goes like this: Every morning, a Pig Must Die.

I'm pretty strict about it. Beats the living schidt outta any hummusectual herbicidal tofugobblin misotherical greaseless bloodless savorless & pointless slice-the-baloney-thinner-and-thinner wood chipper diet yet invented. PMD. Fuel up and then go burn it off.

Yesterday: up at five, snausages, yoga, work, cheeseburger, work, handball, Italian sub, work, cigar and wine at eleven, bed at midnight. Both parents died of obesity younger than I am now. The diff? No yoga, no handball, no work they couldn't get out of, ten hours sleep. I say, eat like a human, live like a ball of fire. 

Gotta go now... I smell bacon!

Love it might shock you but I have lost 75 lbs, and I eat bacon every morning, mater of fact every meal I have meat, veg, fruit, and fat. Some times I add other things, but you right exercise is the key.
  • Options
    NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Just finished 3.5 miles in 1 hour 8 min. avg. 3.1 mph and down to 271 this am, woohoo. down 78 pounds since Feb.
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOGILLS2 said:
    Just finished 3.5 miles in 1 hour 8 min. avg. 3.1 mph and down to 271 this am, woohoo. down 78 pounds since Feb.

Way to go @nogills2! Walking /running can be a bit addictive which is a good thing.
  • Options
    @NOGILLS2 That's awesome, keep up the good work!!!!
  • Options
    cbuckcbuck Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NOGILLS2 said:

Way to go @nogills2! Walking /running can be a bit addictive which is a good thing.
    I remember weightlifting being addictive, but running or walking not so much!
  • Options
    cbuck said:
    NOGILLS2 said:

I remember weightlifting being addictive, but running or walking not so much!
    Actually, I am the opposite, weightlifting, not so much. Walking (really hiking) I crave it!!!
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiking is good with a canoe on your back. And when you've hiked far enough, you plop the canoe into the next lake, and paddle to the other side. 
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    webmost said:
    Hiking is good with a canoe on your back. And when you've hiked far enough, you plop the canoe into the next lake, and paddle to the other side. 

Now there is the ultimate combination, Hiking, and Canoeing!!! I can dig it.
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have come to the realization that I need to change my habits. Starting a new healthier eating habit and working out daily. I used to be in great shape and played sports, now I'm far from that. Looking to lose 75 pounds over the next year and bring my blood pressure down a bit.

Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    I have come to the realization that I need to change my habits. Starting a new healthier eating habit and working out daily. I used to be in great shape and played sports, now I'm far from that. Looking to lose 75 pounds over the next year and bring my blood pressure down a bit.

Life changes work better than diets.  I walk regular and have been doing the whole 30 lifestyle when it comes to food choices. I'm down 70+ lbs. The best part is I feel great. 
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm not doing some crazy no carb diet or **** like that. Paying more attention to quantity and calories coupled with regular exercise.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Brad. 
  • Options
    Edna20Edna20 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm not doing some crazy no carb diet or **** like that. Paying more attention to quantity and calories coupled with regular exercise.
    Yeah, same here. When I try super restrictive diets by the end of them I just go back to what I always ate. Trying to gradually remove things and smaller portions so that I don't go crazy taking everything away at once. Our gym just opened last Friday, meeting with a personal trainer this morning. Hopefully I can keep up with going to the gym or doing something at home, and finding a way to eat that keeps me happy but doesn't make me gain weight. 
    Team O'Donnell FTW!
  • Options
    skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm with ya Brad.  Summer time is always weight gain season for me.  Beer, BBQ's, Beer, Parties, Beer, Festivals, Beer....  Ugh.  I got to drop 30 lbs before the Chicago Herf. 

Made the cut backs yesterday.  Lets just say I was pretty cranky all day.  My poor family.....  LOL

How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293